Sanctum Sprint from Australia (tips)

in Bazaar of the Four Winds

Posted by: Joseph Skyrim.2470

Joseph Skyrim.2470

Woo finally got the first place on run number … 28. :/ Still, no quarter was given – I basically just ran well and got lucky. However there are a few things (in addition to all the other tips out there already) to help improve your odds!

1 – Guest to a low pop server on their off times. I went to Whiteside Ridge and the amount of rubber banding I was experiencing was reduced drastically.

2 – Use “2” liberally. Aim for the thin jars to either get the “4”-“2” combo or if you are behind, Light travel.

3 – Light Travel is your BEST tool. That said, you have to know the best time to use it. Learn the course checkpoints. Some are super easy to reach where others are more difficult. If you know the next bit is easy/a short way to the next checkpoint DONT use it. Wait till you get to a segment that you know is problematic to teleport.

4 – If you get shot you may lose your important light travel skill. Always turn on “6” if you get it. Not only does it protect you from zaps (which you can dodge btw, but why) – it also negates the fake powerups people put down.

5 – Two shortcuts you should make use of, both near the end. The first is an optional balancing bamboo path that hugs the final cliff face with orange crystals, letting you run fast. Can do better, I was using “2” on that (press “2” again to hit the brakes). You’ve probably seen other people use it, and it is worth it.

Last one is on the final circuit – there’s a blue “wind” crystal near the final plateau which boosts your “1”. Pick it up and press “1” to jump up behind the chest. You still need to cross that line though so ignore the chest (if you don’t you are flagged as a late starter anyway and get no loot) and finish first!

That second one is subject to a “is it cheating” debate, but until the powers that be declare it to be so it’s your best bet to get first place because really, everyone else is going to be using it.

Posted by: Optionals.7963

Optionals.7963

Great post! Any tips on using the third skill [The lightning pull]? That’s the one I have the most trouble with, given it either launches you too short, too far or not at all on most occasions.

Joseph Skyrim.2470

Heya Optionals – Lightning pull (3) was also my main downfall. To get the “auto” pull I found you should be as close to the next one (the one you want to jump to) as you can before pressing 3. Sometimes this is in the middle of the lightning graffiti or lightning platform, sometimes closer if you are lagging. You can also manually jump (target it) but results may vary.

I’ve found it fails (to activate) more often the more people you have near you so ideally be out in front or in a small group. Running with the big cluster will give you the issue more often.

For latency heavy people this is really a problem so you have to play dirty with the light travels (see above) and fake powerups. Best place for the fake powerups are ON the lightning platforms and on thin bamboo spots. You can place them without stopping. I felt guilty putting them down but win first, play nice later. :P Putting them on waterfalls is pretty neat but it doesn’t slow down your opposition that much unless it knocks them into space.

Forgot to mention above: that last shortcut? Practice it at the end of the race while waiting. If you don’t know where it is, jump off and kill yourself – you will respawn near the line with the blue crystal which marks the spot you should jump up.

Posted by: Brave Sir Ryan.1240

Brave Sir Ryan.1240

I’ve found lightning pull works much more consistently when you turn your camera to aim for the next platform you are going for. If you just land and hit 3 it doesn’t work quite as well.

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

will have to give these a shot. Hong Kong here, and have been thrown all the place in SS as well lol.

thanks for the tips! and grats on your achievements!

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Zaphir.7210

Zaphir.7210

Good info, though I’m frustrated enough with SS that I won’t be going back anytime soon. (EU player playing on US servers here)

Although I seem to remember that while having the grounded ability active when hitting a fake powerup would prevent the knockdown, you’d still lose all your abilities.

Posted by: jeatsen.2378

jeatsen.2378

I play from Aus too, and i managed to finish first few days ago (only because the first person waited at the finish line to let others place first)…… Thank god, no more for me. Thanks.

I find i “rubber-band” when i press any directional button with a skill. especially important with lightning_pull when jumping platforms

Good luck all..

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

that’s pretty interesting, jeatsen. cause when i lightning pull from those electrical nodes/platforms, if i don’t hold W (or forward), i’ll fall short. :// but i do experience the rubberbanding too though. so maybe it’s a standstill, 3, then W. not sure, needa test more.

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

Joseph Skyrim.2470

Actually it behaved the same for me jeatsen – I needed to stop at every lightning pull. If you really must keep moving try turn on your auto-run instead… that said it didn’t work for me (it activated the hidden aspect-lag/rubberband/chaos-teleport skill). ;p