Stop the Cheating and Match Fixing in Races!

in Bazaar of the Four Winds

Posted by: SynfulChaot.3169

SynfulChaot.3169

Hmm. Seems that all places below first get the same rewards. Here is what first gives over second:

- 6 Quartz Crystal instead of 3
- A Sip of Liquid Karma (1000 karma) instead of a Thimble of Liquid Karma (700 karma)
- A slightly larger bag of coins (about 1 silver more in my small test case of 1)

Not enough rewards for me to always take first. But to each their own.

Tarnished Coast – Wayfarer’s Accord [Way]
Main: Caeimhe – Sylvari Ranger
Alts: Charr Guardian, Asura Elementalist, Human Thief, Norn Necromancer

Posted by: RileyTheRad.8542

RileyTheRad.8542

Yeah, I think they’re the same or not far apart.
Also, does anyone know the drop rate for the backslot items? I’ve run it I think only about twenty times and looted two of them already. Not complaining at all, but man, drop rates seem to be much better than previous events! May just be dumb luck.

Hoopa doopa.

SynfulChaot.3169

Yeah, I think they’re the same or not far apart.
Also, does anyone know the drop rate for the backslot items? I’ve run it I think only about twenty times and looted two of them already. Not complaining at all, but man, drop rates seem to be much better than previous events! May just be dumb luck.

Just good luck. I’m at one catcher out of 27 runs.

Posted by: Talindra.4958

Talindra.4958

can we share the short cut please pls pls? I am still trying to get this achievement. <3

Champion Magus & Phantom, Demon’s Demise, The Archdesigner.
Death is Energy [DIE] – Gandara EU
Australia

Posted by: Gabby.3205

Gabby.3205

I’m not sure if there is a shortcut, Talindra. It is more about getting the grip of it. Sooner or later, with enough practice, you will start using the skills and power ups more naturally. Before you know it you shall get your achievement. I wish you the best of luck

Tarnished Coast
Astrid Strongheart, Norn Ranger.
“I wish juvenile wolves were bigger”

Posted by: Grimno.6172

Grimno.6172

I help others get the achievement since I know there are some out there who in normal conditions, don’t stand a chance to win.
Not trying to be mean but its the truth, some people… in general, suck.
I want to help the people who can’t go toe-to-toe with the ones who can make it to the end before you even BEGIN to climb that final mountain, since this content is for everyone and missing out on a title really sucks if there’s no chance to get it back later :<

I was able to help about 8-9 people finish first a few hours ago, and was happy about it.
Kinda feel like my efforts were rewarded too, as I pulled a windcatcher back piece and sold it for 10 gold

Grimno Lvl 80 WR
Lance Delgado Lvl 20 Thief

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

since this content is for everyone and missing out on a title really sucks if there’s no chance to get it back later :<

All that does is cheapen the value of that title. Just like legendary weapons and T3 armour isn’t that prestigious anymore, because it probably just means that the person spent hours upon hours farming CoF P1. Exploiting, fixing races, endless QQ about WvW’s inclusion in the Living World achievement section, all that is doing is killing the prestige from these things. There are already plenty of participation rewards out there.

Posted by: Grimno.6172

Grimno.6172

since this content is for everyone and missing out on a title really sucks if there’s no chance to get it back later :<

All that does is cheapen the value of that title. Just like legendary weapons and T3 armour isn’t that prestigious anymore, because it probably just means that the person spent hours upon hours farming CoF P1. Exploiting, fixing races, endless QQ about WvW’s inclusion in the Living World achievement section, all that is doing is killing the prestige from these things. There are already plenty of participation rewards out there.

Well to be fair, those things were gonna have cheapen value anyway.
T3 you can just buy, just do CoF runs and viola.
Legendaries are endgame, so eventually most will go for them. Heck, I’ve almost got one now! lol

Grimno Lvl 80 WR
Lance Delgado Lvl 20 Thief

Posted by: SallyStitches.4096

SallyStitches.4096

I will sit at the finish line and let someone else get first, because I’ve already gotten it, not because I’m “cheating”. I thought I was being nice. :/

SynfulChaot.3169

If you really think that more people with a title ‘cheapens’ it, then you may need better priorities.

Getting to the finish line and allowing others to pass you isn’t really ‘fixing’ the race. We don’t conspire with anyone to get them to win. We simply allow the next person to come along to win instead.

I will sit at the finish line and let someone else get first, because I’ve already gotten it, not because I’m “cheating”. I thought I was being nice. :/

Don’t worry. You are being nice. These people just want us to stop being nice so they can feel like more special snowflakes because they have stuff other’s don’t.

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

Since the changes in the update I have noticed it become more toxic than before. Players like the OP (assumption) really suck the community out of the events. Bad change imo.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Posted by: BlueSoda.6297

BlueSoda.6297

Since the changes in the update I have noticed it become more toxic than before. Players like the OP (assumption) really suck the community out of the events. Bad change imo.

Wow that’s really kind of mean to say. I don’t “suck the community” out of this game by being competitive, this is PVP, the game is made so that you beat other people in a race. Just because I don’t choose to cheat to help other people doesn’t make me a bad guy, and it’s the people like you who choose to harass me that caused me to post about this in the fist place.

Charr Lawful-Neutral

Posted by: Lagraicus.7938

Lagraicus.7938

This is a competitive event. There is certainly no harm in helping other players, but to let people win in a competitive is absurd. An achievement is only an achievement if you achieve it. If you need to have it handed to you, whats the point?

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

blue soda if it upsets you so much then just make sure you are on every server in every possible instance of sanctum sprint and come first in all of them (which by the way is about as reasonable as anything you have said on the entire first page of comments)

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

BlueSoda.6297

blue soda if it upsets you so much then just make sure you are on every server in every possible instance of sanctum sprint and come first in all of them (which by the way is about as reasonable as anything you have said on the entire first page of comments)

I never said I always wanted to come in first, I just want the game to be played by the rules that were set in place by the Devs. You’re being just as ridiculous as you claim that I am being by the way. I am entitled to ask people to play fairly and not cheat, and you should respect that and you should respect the rules too. I should not be asked to loose to someone so they can get an achievement point. I should not be yelled at because I do not let someone win.

Charr Lawful-Neutral

Gabby.3205

This is a competitive event. There is certainly no harm in helping other players, but to let people win in a competitive is absurd. An achievement is only an achievement if you achieve it. If you need to have it handed to you, whats the point?

Coming in second place out of 12 is actually pretty hard too.

You know what? It doesn’t matter either way. I got the title out of my own personal effort and I wear it with pride. I don’t care if people that would have been second if it wasn’t for the kindness of the one that was going to win also have the title. I don’t care if everybody in the whole world have the title. That feeling that I was the best that one time and that after that I did something nice to complete strangers, even something so small, is something that nobody can ever take away from me.
All I wish for all of you guys is that you have fun with the event. Enjoy it while it lasts and don’t be so bitter about something so small as a title.
If people are being the first multiple times and that is bothering you, leave and join another race instead of being rude to them.
If people are letting other people pass them and that is bothering you, leave and join another race instead of accusing them of cheating.
If people are being rude because you won, report them, leave and join another race instead of also being rude to them and giving them reasons to report you.

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Joseph Skyrim.2470

Joseph Skyrim.2470

I am entitled to ask people to play fairly and not cheat, and you should respect that and you should respect the rules too. I should not be asked to loose to someone so they can get an achievement point. I should not be yelled at because I do not let someone win.

Quite right. Likewise you should respect those who stop at the finish line to let others go ahead, they too don’t deserve to be yelled at because they let someone else win/letting themselves lose the race.

I somehow got 2nd place after a chain of 5 or 6 light travels. If I ever get first then I’ll be making it a point to stop outside the finish line too. Actually I’ll just run the race without using number “2” so that I won’t get harassed/accused of letting other people win at the finish line. :P

BlueSoda.6297

I am entitled to ask people to play fairly and not cheat, and you should respect that and you should respect the rules too. I should not be asked to loose to someone so they can get an achievement point. I should not be yelled at because I do not let someone win.

Quite right. Likewise you should respect those who stop at the finish line to let others go ahead, they too don’t deserve to be yelled at because they let someone else win/letting themselves lose the race.

I somehow got 2nd place after a chain of 5 or 6 light travels. If I ever get first then I’ll be making it a point to stop outside the finish line too. Actually I’ll just run the race without using number “2” so that I won’t get harassed/accused of letting other people win at the finish line. :P

I don’t yell at the people who cheat, I simply posted about how it’s wrong on the forums. They, on the other hand, decided to use foul langue at me IN GAME and I had to report them. This happened on multiple occasions, on in particular was very nasty.

Charr Lawful-Neutral

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

Now you know what it’s like when you call others cheaters. Pot meet kettle.

If you take advantage of this you are, by definition, a cheater. The issue here is that if someone wants to play by the rules they get harassed for “sucking the community out.”

Let’s examine that shall we?

: to deprive of something valuable by the use of deceit or fraud
: to influence or lead by deceit, trick, or artifice
: to elude or thwart by or as if by outwitting <cheat death>
intransitive verb
a : to practice fraud or trickery
b : to violate rules dishonestly <cheat at cards> <cheating on a test>
: to be sexually unfaithful —usually used with on <was cheating on his wife>
: to position oneself defensively near a particular area in anticipation of a play in that area <the shortstop was cheating toward second base>

I’m having a bit of trouble seeing how “by definition” it correlates.

On the note of me harassing the OP….I was simple making a point of what they have done versus what they say is being done to them.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Posted by: Villious.8530

Villious.8530

I’m pretty sure the buggy/laggy mechanics are preventing those who are not local to the servers from doing well in this race.

Is it fair they get a handicap and never able to obtain the one time only achievement just because you’re “competing” for a reward you already have? Preventing any one else from getting it once you have it is simply being mean. There is no reason to come first after you got it the first time.

I’m not competing for a reward, I’m competing for fun. This is a game, and I would like it to be played fairly so I can have fun. I actually like the race, but when people cheat like this it really hurts us all.

The irony is strong in this one.

If someone helping someone else in a VIDEO GAME bothers you so much….maybe you should reexamine your priorities in life.

To those of you that help the other people out…..good for you. MMOs need many more like you.

PS – no one should be yelling/cursing at you for not letting people win. That’s worse than whining about people letting people win.

SynfulChaot.3169

I never said I always wanted to come in first, I just want the game to be played by the rules that were set in place by the Devs. You’re being just as ridiculous as you claim that I am being by the way. I am entitled to ask people to play fairly and not cheat, and you should respect that and you should respect the rules too. I should not be asked to loose to someone so they can get an achievement point. I should not be yelled at because I do not let someone win.

We’re not asking you to throw your races, Blue. If you want to strive for first, have at it. Nothing wrong with that.

But please don’t tell us not to throw our races. Just as it’s your choice to place first, it’s our choice to place wherever we feel. I personally strive for fourth.

Joseph Skyrim.2470

This is just a case of people playing the game differently which bothers the other people who play the game differently. Perhaps if ANet actually let you race against your friends this wouldn’t be an issue, because you can then race the way you like.

Alternatively the next best fix is don’t have an achievement for first place or any placings. Instead just have a fricking big prize gap. If first place nets 1 gold (or whatever is in a world boss chest) and every other place gets 1 silver I’m not sure how many people will be throwing the race.

(edited by Joseph Skyrim.2470)

Villious.8530

We’re not asking you to throw your races, Blue. If you want to strive for first, have at it. Nothing wrong with that.

But please don’t tell us not to throw our races. Just as it’s your choice to place first, it’s our choice to place wherever we feel. I personally strive for fourth.

Now THAT was well said!

BlueSoda.6297

I’m pretty sure the buggy/laggy mechanics are preventing those who are not local to the servers from doing well in this race.

Is it fair they get a handicap and never able to obtain the one time only achievement just because you’re “competing” for a reward you already have? Preventing any one else from getting it once you have it is simply being mean. There is no reason to come first after you got it the first time.

I’m not competing for a reward, I’m competing for fun. This is a game, and I would like it to be played fairly so I can have fun. I actually like the race, but when people cheat like this it really hurts us all.

If someone helping someone else in a VIDEO GAME bothers you so much….maybe you should reexamine your priorities in life.

To those of you that help the other people out…..good for you. MMOs need many more like you.

PS – no one should be yelling/cursing at you for not letting people win. That’s worse than whining about people letting people win.

Sorry that having a video game as my main hobby in life is not a good enough priority for you. Sorry that my medical condition prevents me from having a “real” life like you have. Sorry that this matters to me so much. Is that what you wanted?

Also, I’m not whining, I’m stating my opinion. Which again is: This is PvP not PvE, it’s competitive and has rules that need to be followed.

Charr Lawful-Neutral

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

@Gabby: I couldn’t have said it better myself.

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

This is CHEATING!

EDIT:

So after reading all of the comments below and doing my best to respond to as many as I could I’ve come to the conclusion that the community does not want to actually play this mini game, and only wants the achievement points. If that is what the majority wants, then I guess it is pointless for me to continue to argue my point.

I will close by saying that it would maybe fix this problem the awards were adjusted for 1st 2nd and 3rd place to give people more incentive to win. I suppose I will just have to accept that no ones wants any mini-game in gw2 to ever be played fairly.

Your conclusion is wrong. Correct conclusion is that there exists 3 type of people:
a) those who want to play the mini game.
b) those who want to get the achievment.
c) those who want to win for ep reasons.
These aren’t mutually exclusive at all, but fortunately it appears that the group c) is fairly small.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

Villious.8530

Sorry that having a video game as my main hobby in life is not a good enough priority for you. Sorry that my medical condition prevents me from having a “real” life like you have. Sorry that this matters to me so much. Is that what you wanted?

Also, I’m not whining, I’m stating my opinion. Which again is: This is PvP not PvE, it’s competitive and has rules that need to be followed.

This is my main hobby in life as well. Stating your opinion is fine. Stating it over and over and over and over is whining….

Joseph Skyrim.2470

This is PvP not PvE, it’s competitive and has rules that need to be followed.

Don’t mean to give you a harder time here BlueSoda but nowhere did I read that participants cannot throw the race, or race how they like. Where are these rules you speak of?

BlueSoda.6297

This is my main hobby in life as well. Stating your opinion is fine. Stating it over and over and over and over is whining….

You are doing that exact thing.

Charr Lawful-Neutral

Posted by: BAWW.8104

BAWW.8104

Until ANet fixes the rubberbanding issues that are affecting players with >200ms ping, there is nothing about this competition or title that is meaningful in any way. A person consistently placing first only proves his better internet connection and nothing else.

If you cannot fathom why some people can never seem to win, just stop when you get to the parts with those lightning leap pillars and see how many people are falling off the course because their leaps overshoot or stop halfway.

It has nothing to do with player skills.

You’ve responded to the other thread so you are obviously aware of the issue, so how can you call for fair competition when it can’t be?

SynfulChaot.3169

This is CHEATING!

EDIT:

So after reading all of the comments below and doing my best to respond to as many as I could I’ve come to the conclusion that the community does not want to actually play this mini game, and only wants the achievement points. If that is what the majority wants, then I guess it is pointless for me to continue to argue my point.

I will close by saying that it would maybe fix this problem the awards were adjusted for 1st 2nd and 3rd place to give people more incentive to win. I suppose I will just have to accept that no ones wants any mini-game in gw2 to ever be played fairly.

Your conclusion is wrong. Correct conclusion is that there exists 3 type of people:
a) those who want to play the mini game.
b) those who want to get the achievment.
c) those who want to win for ep reasons.
These aren’t mutually exclusive at all, but fortunately it appears that the group c) is fairly small.

I think you’ve hit all the types. Us ‘cheater’ types that allow others to pass us on purpose are from type ‘a’, most of which of us were type ‘b’ before but got our achievements already. And I’m also glad that type ‘c’ is underrepresented. Those are the caustic ones that try to bring down the community.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

So what about all the people in non US cities that have latency issues that affect everything about the race? Is that fair?

Where I am in Tasmania, I get enough latency to make a lot of it pretty hard. I’ll never get first place honestly (and no one is likely to let me lol). But yeah…fair would be fair if everyone started out on a even playing field.

That playing field doesn’t exist.

Posted by: Coldin.2840

Coldin.2840

Yep. I do notice more people will just go right for the victory. Not too many, and there’s still people that wait. But just a day ago, everyone was very willing to wait in the groups I was in.

Not that the rewards for winning are that much better. A few extra silver and karma. The only reward that might make me change waiting would be a really good chance at a skin. But even that would only last till I got the skin I wanted.

Coldin – Thief – Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: loneknight.8425

loneknight.8425

I’m playing from Oceanic timezone, therefore I jumped for joy when I managed to reach top 3 (SCREW YOU LIGHTNING PULLS!!!).

Like to take this opportunity to thank all the type ‘Ace’ folks who are always keeping an eye for us who are stuck at type ‘B’ category, waiting before finish line for us less luckies to have a chance at achievement (I really want to avoid JP kites ). But alas, there is always 1 or 2 type ‘C’ folks in every race, worse is they whine about not getting any skin drops while calling us ‘hackers!’ for getting the the drop without being first.

Ah well, the best I did is to flaunt my wind catcher skin and WALK slowly to finish line in front of these whiners :p

The thief who did dat – Crystal Desert

Talindra.4958

I’m not sure if there is a shortcut, Talindra. It is more about getting the grip of it. Sooner or later, with enough practice, you will start using the skills and power ups more naturally. Before you know it you shall get your achievement. I wish you the best of luck

Thank you Gabby :P i hope so xD

Australia

Talindra.4958

Not trying to be mean but its the truth, some people… in general, suck.

hey…… that sound like me!!!!! :p
but i also have a lot of lantency issues.

Australia

(edited by Talindra.4958)

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

Fear not, for nobody gets an undeserved first whenever I race. I usually finish with about 4:40 left on the clock and then exit the race so I can start another. It’s no cof farm, but at least it’s a fun way to make some ok gold.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

(edited by Jabberwock.9014)

Posted by: jazzllanna.1278

jazzllanna.1278

Fear not, for nobody gets an undeserved first whenever I race. I usually finish with about 4:40 left on the clock and then exit the race so I can start another. It’s no cof farm, but at least it’s a fun way to make some ok gold.

How is it faster to leave and get a new one? Seems like even if I join with over 6 mins on the clock I don’t get a chest because I joined late.

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

If you go in and out a couple times you can usually find a fresh race within a minute. Much faster than waiting 4 and a half minutes.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

Posted by: Ceallach.8740

Ceallach.8740

I got my first place in my 7th or 8th try all by myself but after that I don’t really try as hard – I don’t spam 2 as much, I don’t attack others or grab power-ups as often – because I don’t need to in order to enjoy it and get my 25 runs for the Achievement. I usually still place top 3 even then – I honestly feel bad for the people in SEA – it’s not like they can do anything about it (I feel like that’s the risk you take when you’re that far away from the server – but it still sucks for them) – so giving them some extra time to overcome that challenge is actually MORE “fair” of a race – it’s like a handicap in golf.

It doesn’t bother me if someone “undeserving” gets the Title – it doesn’t take away from me and me knowing that I got it on my own. On the other hand – hey – I took a Mesmer portal to the goggles on top of the Sanctum and I feel no guilt about it. Thank you brave Mesmer who gave ports for like an hour.

I guess I got my 1st before the second patch, because I just got the same karma as all other races (where I placed 12th my first time, lolol – but consistently top 3 after I learned the course) and the same silver – the only difference was that I got an exotic piece of gear instead of something lesser.

Posted by: Gildan Bladeborn.2198

Gildan Bladeborn.2198

I’m flabbergasted by this thread’s very existence, really I am… is what I’d say in a world where I was completely naive. Instead I’m just sadly shaking my head at the OP’s completely warped view of the world.

Dude, if you get to the finish line first, you’ve WON. If you decide not to cross it because there was literally no reason to more than once (prior to the last update) or because you feel the rewards for doing so aren’t good enough to warrant what many people see as kind of a kitten move to do to other players, and you let 3 other people cross it before you step across yourself? You’ve still WON. You got there first.

There’s no betting on the outcome, they aren’t fixing the results for personal gain (quite the opposite in fact if they still do it now), they’re just being nice to other people in the race who probably have latency issues. Cheating would be finding some way to get to first without properly running the race; finishing in whatever place you feel like once you reach the end is just a player’s choice.

Consistently placing first every match (prior to the update that gave 1st place a slightly larger reward) is just pointless ego boosting at the expense of everyone else playing with you – the OP doesn’t want people to “play the game as intended”, they want to not be hassled by the folks who quite rightly pointed out that they were being a jerk. Which is nothing out of the ordinary, PvP is where people GO to be jerks, the entire concept is that when you pit players versus other players the fun generated is at another player’s expense; the nicer jerks among us just used our cutthroat competitive urges up along the way to the finish line.

The point of a race is to win, and everyone who let people pass them at the finish line WON their races, they didn’t need the game to tell them that, they already know they won. Asking for a world where we simply abandon any vestiges of (I am putting words here because the forum’s filter is being ridiculous) kindness is a sad indictment on the mindset of a decided portion of the PvP playerbase.

Ceia Mirschail is my mesmer, and I am one of [SLVR]’s overachievers.
Ehmry Bay for life!

(edited by Gildan Bladeborn.2198)

Villious.8530

I’m flabbergasted by this thread’s very existence, really I am… is what I’d say in a world where I was completely naive. Instead I’m just sadly shaking my head at the OP’s completely warped view of the world.

Dude, if you get to the finish line first, you’ve WON. If you decide not to cross it because there was literally no reason to more than once (prior to the last update) or because you feel the rewards for doing so aren’t good enough to warrant what many people see as kind of a kitten move to do to other players, and you let 3 other people cross it before you step across yourself? You’ve still WON. You got there first.

There’s no betting on the outcome, they aren’t fixing the results for personal gain (quite the opposite in fact if they still do it now), they’re just being nice to other people in the race who probably have latency issues. Cheating would be finding some way to get to first without properly running the race; finishing in whatever place you feel like once you reach the end is just a player’s choice.

Consistently placing first every match (prior to the update that gave 1st place a slightly larger reward) is just pointless ego boosting at the expense of everyone else playing with you – the OP doesn’t want people to “play the game as intended”, they want to not be hassled by the folks who quite rightly pointed out that they were being a jerk. Which is nothing out of the ordinary, PvP is where people GO to be jerks, the entire concept is that when you pit players versus other players the fun generated is at another player’s expense; the nicer jerks among us just used our cutthroat competitive urges up along the way to the finish line.

The point of a race is to win, and everyone who let people pass them at the finish line WON their races, they didn’t need the game to tell them that, they already know they won. Asking for a world where we simply abandon any vestiges of (I am putting words here because the forum’s filter is being ridiculous) kindness is a sad indictment on the mindset of a decided portion of the PvP playerbase.

Wow Gildan. What a great post. Very well said indeed!

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

So after reading all of the comments below and doing my best to respond to as many as I could I’ve come to the conclusion that the community does not want to actually play this mini game, and only wants the achievement points.

It seems a large percentage of players get their fun not from playing but rather from collecting achievements. I wonder if this can somehow be used in real life, to encourage certain behaviors through a system that offers official “achievements” (but no other rewards)?

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

It seems a large percentage of players get their fun not from playing but rather from collecting achievements. I wonder if this can somehow be used in real life, to encourage certain behaviors through a system that offers official “achievements” (but no other rewards)?

Yes, with the slight hitch that ‘official’ has less significance when you are inside the universe rather than its creator, as you can’t make your achievements an innate part of it. It’s more like getting recognition from an NPC (i.e. not many people will care much unless it also provides a tangible reward).

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

Or maybe they just want the perma quartz node.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: LunaticChaos.7138

LunaticChaos.7138

While I most certainly disagree with the term “Cheating” in regards to this behavior as has been rightly pointed out “it’s that player’s choice.” I do agree with the OP’s point he’s trying to make though, though he certainly did not phrase it correctly.

What I would call that behavior is “Patronizing”
-"to adopt an air of condescension toward : treat haughtily or coolly "
And to make this simpler “Condescension”
-"voluntary descent from one’s rank or dignity in relations with an inferior "

This behavior is patronizing, what everybody who stands at the finish line is saying is “Hey guys behind us, we’re better than you, but here’s a free win for you anyway.”
Sure it’s “Nice” but its disrespectful at the same time. It may not be the intention to be disrespectful, but that’s what you’re telling people when you do that. Snatching a victory from someone who has been winning and getting your achievement for it is far more satisfying than having someone “Let you win.”

People please remember this is a game and for those who need that definition:
Game
-“a physical or mental competition conducted according to rules with the participants in direct opposition to each other”
One of the keywords there is competition. In PVE the competition is between players and mobs. In PVP the competition is just between players. If someone wants to play competitively, well that’s the point you shouldn’t berate them for it. If someone wants to “let others win” then fine, that’s their choice regardless of whether or not others find that rude/disrespectful or not. I personally would yell at someone for doing that to me but that’s my point of view.
And if someone wants to call me out for being selfish or unsportsmanlike here. let me point this out as well:
Sportsmanship
-“conduct (as fairness, respect for one’s opponent, and graciousness in winning or losing) becoming to one participating in a sport”
A key part of sportsmanship is “respect” and “graciousness in winning or losing.” If you win don’t make a big deal out of it, if you lose don’t whine and make excuses. Respect your competitors and don’t be patronizing. You can certainly go easy on them or not take it as seriously as you would with a room of good sprinters, but don’t patronize.

Know what most of my lobbies have turned out like? Striking up conversations at the finish line while we wait for the match to end such as weird glitches that occurred during the race or sharing what our drops were or some other topic we get on, with me quoting cartoon villains if someone regularly beats me or we’re switching off in the top ranks, my favorite being Doctor Claw (I also quote him if someone comments that they finally won too). If random adds to the lobby don’t like it, they leave. If a room isn’t fun because I’m regularly trouncing everyone I get bored and leave, coming back a bit later to see if someone more fun is on. I get a good room I stay on and do like 15 matches in a row.
And that’s how it should be.

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

^You stole the words right out of my mouth. An achievement is something that is achieved, is indeed the best way to describe it.

But, more to the point is that this Achievement also comes with a Title. Isn’t is absurd that someone goes trotting along showcasing a title -the same title you worked your buns off to get 1st Place for- without ever really earning the thing at all? This is some person who is, with lack of a better work, unskilled at this particular part of the game; yet this person is getting the reward (achievement point) and fame (title) for something they should not have.

Anyone familiar with people who kick party members on the last boss of dungeons/fractals, only to invite their guildmate to come in and get credit, rewards, and completion for daily (or whatever)? Ya, this is very similar in case. ….very, very similar.

Posted by: deviller.9135

deviller.9135

Is it cheating to help player to get achievement ? No (if yes, I am always cheating due to help people to get WvW EB JP achievement (including its living story) by portalling them). In real world: I am considered cheating due to help my friend do his homework !?!? (cheat: if there is a rule: All player is forbidden to help another player. (same in real world when you are having test.).

What you only need is ask them. Can I be the first for achievement ? That’s all. If they don’t mind, good for you. (it’s about individual, you want do it or no)

Okay okay, you got me guys, I’m the bad person here because I wanted people to play by the rules.

Is there any rule “not to help another player” ?

In real world, there is a rare case which a runner help another collapsed runner, you can search in google. If this in your case, all these people are considered cheating.

(edited by deviller.9135)

SynfulChaot.3169

This behavior is patronizing, what everybody who stands at the finish line is saying is “Hey guys behind us, we’re better than you, but here’s a free win for you anyway.”
Sure it’s “Nice” but its disrespectful at the same time. It may not be the intention to be disrespectful, but that’s what you’re telling people when you do that. Snatching a victory from someone who has been winning and getting your achievement for it is far more satisfying than having someone “Let you win.”

I don’t really see it a patronizing unless you’re trying to look down on others. I always cheer people on as they cross.

I mean, I could purposefully go slowly and not even bother to try. But that takes the fun out of it for me. I prefer to challenge myself for a good time. I race the clock, not others. Plus I like to see people as they finish. Like a bystander cheering on the competitors.

Yes, some may not like the idea of ‘being allowed to win’. Most just want the achievement and don’t care how they place. I prefer to cater towards the latter.

Anyone familiar with people who kick party members on the last boss of dungeons/fractals, only to invite their guildmate to come in and get credit, rewards, and completion for daily (or whatever)? Ya, this is very similar in case. ….very, very similar.

Not the same at all. By allowing others to win I am not denying anyone but myself of rewards. I’m not kicking anyone or preventing anyone from getting anything.

Gabby.3205

-snip-

I think you are over analyzing it.

We run to the finishing line because we are STILL competing and we STILL want to win. The only reason for us not to go ahead and cross the line is because we don’t need the achievement anymore and want someone else to get it. We want to race, not to take a stroll. That doesn’t mean that we think that we are better than the next person, it just means that though we got lucky that time we do not need that luck anymore, so we are passing the ball.
Yell at us if you want. Most people will get what we are trying to do instead of over analyzing it, and that’s why they thank us instead of yelling at us like you said you would do. You know, not everybody is a jerk, but maybe you are just one of these people that thinks that everybody else is in fact a jerk, no matter what they do. If that’s the case, well, nothing I can say will change the way you think, since you will just label me as a jerk too. I must be a jerk for porting people to the goggles with my mesmer, it must be disrespectful to them because I must be implying that they can’t get to them without my help, right? I don’t think so. I prefer to look at everyone from an optimistic perspective and assume that they are doing whatever they are doing with good intentions.
And “how it should be” is how each one of us like it better. If people are having fun, great, keep it up.

Tarnished Coast