Survey: Sanctum Sprint Short Cut is legit?

in Bazaar of the Four Winds

Posted by: Nkuvu.2570

Nkuvu.2570

I have a hard time seeing this as intentional, given that you’re put behind the finish line.

Also, considering how much of the last bit it cuts off, it seems like a huge advantage to anyone who knows about it. I’ve done the race over 50 times, and this thread is the first time I actually found out where the shortcut is.

It’s like a permanent Light Travel boost, in a consistent spot. That doesn’t strike anyone else as odd or unintended?

Posted by: Mimir.4690

Mimir.4690

At first, I would have said this was intentional. Its placement was perfect, and you were able to receive credit for finishing the race.

However, I discovered that if you do not loot the chest before you move to the finish line, you cannot loot the chest (I only tested this a couple of times, but the times I did not loot the chest first and went straight to the line, I received a message that said I started the race too late and could not receive the reward). This to me implies that this may not have been intentional.

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

I really don’t see how this would be an exploit, as there are multiple divergent paths throughout the course, including other unmarked shortcuts up the cliffs if you have the right power-ups at the right time and take the time to look.

And, right at the finish line, there HAPPENS to be a spot where the rock is JUST low enough to power jump to? That hardly seems coincidental.

(edited by Vick.6805)

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

I don’t use it. Have seen some use it though. Well usually that same one or two people that come first.

Wish I had knew about it before when I was racing to first though, not that I would of used it then either. I just couldn’t understand how people would just get there so quickly even if they were behind me. And not by light travel thing.

Luckily it seems its still a rare few that use it in my experince. But it definitely does not seem intended at all. Most likely an oversight with the way the skills and the level is designed. Just doesn’t seem right to get to the “finish” area before actually crossing the line. But considering it hasn’t been fixed yet I doubt it matters at this point to ANet.

I still seem to easily get first (or get to the finish line first) or otherwise in most races I’ve done lately. Like I said, I still haven’t come across a lot that use it. So getting first even with people doing it, it is still possible, assuming everyone doesn’t use it either.

Posted by: Benjifu.8451

Benjifu.8451

I personally think its cheating. It cuts of a good 4-5 secs its not a race when things like that are in the game mechanics.. Spoils it a little for me.. Anet needs to fix it -.-

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

What exactly is “Top Checkpoint?” I have gotten it a few times but I’ve only once placed top 3 (got 2nd place this morning) and never first, so it’s not tied to that.

As to the shortcut, now that I know about it I might be sorely tempted if I’m in 2nd and get to that spot. I would like to win just once.

Posted by: Handin.4032

Handin.4032

Why else would they put the crystal there for the higher jumps right there? THere’s really no other need for jumps from then on except the short cut.

TC Golden Dolyak – [DOLY]
Mesmer – FURY
Rank 55 – Bunker Engi, Top 300

Posted by: Coldin.2840

Coldin.2840

What exactly is “Top Checkpoint?” I have gotten it a few times but I’ve only once placed top 3 (got 2nd place this morning) and never first, so it’s not tied to that.

I don’t think Top Checkpoint means anything really.

Coldin – Thief – Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Aradon.5936

Aradon.5936

I think it’s perfectly legit. They gave us skills, so we’re supposed to use them to maneuver around the track. They haven’t fixed it yet, so until they do, I’m assuming it’s intended. And yes, this argument justifies every exploit a player could find, but I’m doing no harm by using it. Every player has access to it, and I don’t know if they will use it or not. Since I’m in direct competition with them, it’d be absolutely foolish not to take the shortest path.

As for ‘Top Checkpoint:’ The number of checkpoints is a type of score the arena tracks. Top Checkpoint means that you crossed the highest number of checkpoints out of everyone in the arena. Typically, most people cross 13 (which is all of them) so most players receive the Top Checkpoint award. It’s mostly a side-effect of how they created the racing arena directly in the PvP system, and doesn’t mean much.

Posted by: jetjordan.9403

jetjordan.9403

there is another place in the game that is just as advantageous (bamboo pipe trail) which has speed buffs all along it…. pretty sure that is intended as well and catches you up just as much.

Posted by: Coldin.2840

Coldin.2840

there is another place in the game that is just as advantageous (bamboo pipe trail) which has speed buffs all along it…. pretty sure that is intended as well and catches you up just as much.

That one is clearly intended, as it’s a bamboo pipe and has things set on it. So clearly they wanted people to walk on it and use it. It’s riskier to do that as well, since it’s easier to fall off and lose time.

The little jump at the end rarely ever results in lost time unless you simply don’t make the jump multiple times in a row, and there’s no skill involved besides knowing about it. I still maintain that this was simply an oversight, simply for the fact that the one crosses the finish line the wrong way.

Coldin – Thief – Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Sleel.8365

Sleel.8365

Absolutely, 100%, fully intended, IMO

Yeah, like taking a cab is intended in the Tour de France.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I got my win without it, but I got the rest of my 30 races (25 for the achieve and 5 more for the second loot bag) after my win with it because I was tired of running the same race over and over and just wanted to finish.

Also, at this point about half of the racers take advantage of it, so it isn’t even a shortcut now.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

There is a jumping crystal in front of it. The crystal does not make any sense if it is not an intented way. I’ts still lame though, I won many times and not used it once.