Thanks for the kite... NOT

in Bazaar of the Four Winds

Posted by: Airwolf.7382

Airwolf.7382

Quite recently, 10 Jul, I bought €20 worth of gems. And today people are getting kites for purchasing gems in the past months. But for some reason the people who bought gems THIS month (me included) get the cold shoulder and are left with nothing but an open inventory slot. Why the hell is that!?!?

Posted by: ShunsuiKouKyoraku.9106

ShunsuiKouKyoraku.9106

Patience young Padawan. This seems to be a reoccurring theme, I’m sure they will give you something in the next content update.

~De Oppresso Libre~
Shunsui Kou Kyoraku~Thief |Afro Claptrap~Warrior|Korra Jorradóttir~Elementalist
Zaraki Bladebreaker~Guardian|Mikasa Ackkermann~Mesmer

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

Well they gave the mini’s to people who bought from launch until April 1st, then the kite to people who bought between April 1st and July 1st. I’d be patient if I were you, it looks like they’ll be giving something to people who bought from July 1st – sometime in the future.

Posted by: kokocabana.8153

kokocabana.8153

Then you will be eligible for whatever gift comes next. It seems like they are making these periodic gem purchase gifts a regular thing now to encourage people to continue their support.

Airwolf.7382

I get the monthly thing they are trying to do. but bringing it out halfway this month and not including the people who bought gems in the first half is just backhanded. (got the mini’s, I’d trade them for the kite though)

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I get the monthly thing they are trying to do. but bringing it out halfway this month and not including the people who bought gems in the first half is just backhanded. (got the mini’s, I’d trade them for the kite though)

So you bought your gems in order to get a present down the line, instead of actually getting the item you bought gems for in the first place?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Airwolf.7382

No I did not. I thought the “thanks for buying gems” was a one time thing only applying to the mini’s. And bought the gems because i wanted to buy items from the gemstore. 6 days later they DO come with another but this happened.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

To be clear, you purchased the gems with real money and didn’t trade gold for gems, correct? I have a feeling if you just trade, you don’t get the reward.

Also, seems they are releasing the kites in stages, so I’m sure you will get one.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Phoenix the One.4071

Phoenix the One.4071

Greed everywhere.. you are not special.. Just be happy with what you get and not unhappy with what your fellow man gets

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Wow.

Guess I shouldn’t be surprised at this. I vote this as most Entitled Whinny post of the month (maybe they should gifts away for that?).

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

What an obnoxious thread.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Quite recently, 10 Jul, I bought €20 worth of gems. And today people are getting kites for purchasing gems in the past months. But for some reason the people who bought gems THIS month (me included) get the cold shoulder and are left with nothing but an open inventory slot. Why the hell is that!?!?

Maybe if you support Anet with regular Gem purchases, you might be happier?

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Patience young Padawan. This seems to be a reoccurring theme, I’m sure they will give you something in the next content update.

If it’s not a pony I’m gonna QQ! I mean it!

The table is a fable.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Good grief.
/15 char

The Burninator

Posted by: Raesin.2908

Raesin.2908

So you bought gems outside of the timeline and are complaining because you weren’t included in the little bonus gift.
Why would you get a free item that you’re not entitled to? This is like when the free minis were given out and the people that didn’t buy gems were whining for not getting something for something they didn’t participate in.
I look forward to your gratitude thread when you get the next little gift that includes the current month.

Posted by: SynfulChaot.3169

SynfulChaot.3169

These little gifts have been because they want to thank us for assisting them. We’re not entitled to them. We’re already getting what we paid for, after all. This is just an addition personal ‘thanks’ from ANet.

Be gracious that they are kind enough to give us free stuff when we’re owed nothing.

Tarnished Coast – Wayfarer’s Accord [Way]
Main: Caeimhe – Sylvari Ranger
Alts: Charr Guardian, Asura Elementalist, Human Thief, Norn Necromancer

JustTrogdor.7892

This thread reminds me of something I didn’t notice until today. As you head from the bottom WP up to the Zephyr and land at the last lightning pull there is a child and a woman NPC. Every so often the dialog goes like this:

Child: I want! I want! I want one mom!

Mother: Okay you can have one.

Child: But I want two! I want two!

I cracked up when I heard that. It reminds me of this forum every time there is some new skin, fun item, reward, or gift. I wonder if it was intentional.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Airwolf.7382

This thread reminds me of something I didn’t notice until today. As you head from the bottom WP up to the Zephyr and land at the last lightning pull there is a child and a woman NPC. Every so often the dialog goes like this:

Mother: Okay you can have one.

Child: But I want two! I want two!

I cracked up when I heard that. It reminds me of this forum every time there is some new skin, fun item, reward, or gift. I wonder if it was intentional.

Meh. its more like this

Mother: No son, you asked to late.

Child: Cries.

JustTrogdor.7892

Meh. its more like this

Child: Cries.

In your case you are correct.

The Burninator

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

Just wait until next month, they’ll probably have some gift for you then.

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

This is just silly. If you buy clothes regularly at a store but don’t go one month and you miss a promotion where they give you a free voucher with each purchase you don’t storm into the shop and demand they give you something too. You missed the promotion. There’ll be another one most likely as this seems to be a theme with the Dragon Bash pets and now the kites. ANet don’t owe you anything.

Posted by: deviller.9135

deviller.9135

Then you will be eligible for whatever gift comes next. It seems like they are making these periodic gem purchase gifts a regular thing now to encourage people to continue their support.

Which is actually good. No-one force you to buy the gem after all.

Posted by: Mourningcry.9428

Mourningcry.9428

Simple answer, you don’t deserve it.

Had you purchsed even 400gems from ANet anytime during the three previous months you would have. But you didn’t. So, you don’t.

The Kites are a very gracious way for ANet to thank people for their support. You didn’t financially support them during that time period.

Maybe you’re recent purchase will be acknowledged, maybe not. Highly likely that anyone who did receive a kite didn’t expect any acknowledgement.

Posted by: Ceallach.8740

Ceallach.8740

Dude… that’s like if you went to buy a new car and found out that a sale on the car you decided you MUST have ended last week. Yeah, it sucks, but that’s life and capitalism – companies need to make money and need to have incentives for you to support them. ANet is not requiring a subscription so they need to actively sell things to support the game. A free kite isn’t putting anyone at a disadvantage for not having it and it’s a nice way to say thank you to the people who have been throwing money at them on a regular basis and encourage them to do so in the future.

Sales come and go – there will be another one and it seems if things keep going as they are you’ll get a free shiny next round of free shinies.

I’m really happy to get the free kite because when I heard that kites were coming I wanted one – but if I hadn’t and I bought one because I wanted one it would mean that I’d be on the list for the next free shiny thing. See how that works ? I did recently buy gems so that I could buy the mini quaggans because gosh darn I love me some quaggans – but if I don’t get a free shiny in the coming months I won’t be too sad because I did get my quaggans that I paid for. The free gift is extra. At this point it looks like it will be a “thing”, but it would also not be good to count on it and get upset if there isn’t one in a few months.

Brother Grimm.5176

Meh. its more like this

BRAT: I want! I want! I want one mom!

Mother: No son, you asked to late.

BRAT: Cries.

Fixed this for you to use the actual in-game name of the character (so you can get the full effect of the irony here).

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Meh. its more like this

BRAT: I want! I want! I want one mom!

Mother: No son, you asked too late.

BRAT: Cries.

Fixed this for you to use the actual in-game name of the character (so you can get the full effect of the irony here).

God that was bothering me. FIXED for realz

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: shimmerless.4560

shimmerless.4560

i always think of that louis ck bit about the passenger he was sat next to when the free wireless went offline on his air travel: “he immediately said, ‘pff, this is bull’. it’s amazing just how fast he became entitled to something he didn’t know existed until all of five minutes ago!”

do you even want the item in question, op? would you have remotely cared if they never made the item in the first place?

Airwolf.7382

Would i care if they never made the item? No i never thought about such item. Did i want it would i know it was coming? Yes.

For the record, I now do own a kite that I bought from the gem store.

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

But still not the same as getting a free one accompanied by a letter of appreciation.

I get what you’re saying, it’s really not about the kite…it’s about getting appreciated for your support.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

They have to have a cut off at some point to give them time to parse the data and send the message/gift. It sucks that you bought gems after the cut off, but you’re in the next batch so that’s the silver lining.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Hey! Problem solved! I’m glad everything worked out for you.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: BilboBaggins.5620

BilboBaggins.5620

Hey, I understand the feeling of “oh kitten ! I missed out on that and I really like it!”. It’s never fun to feel that way, but it happens in life all the time. I’d love to get all the rewards attached to being the one millionth person to like Guild Wars 2 on Facebook, only problem is I liked them a long time ago and now I can’t get it. Stuff happens, twice on Sunday.

Posted by: Hurrakan.4259

Hurrakan.4259

I was sad too, bought £17 worth of gems on February 20th – I should have waited 9 more days!

I had also already spent another £59 earlier that month. Haven’t spent any more money on gems since Feb.

I suppose the idea is to just buy the smallest amount of gems at least once each month to make sure you always qualify for the gifts, but that is too much like a subscription heh.

JustTrogdor.7892

I was sad too, bought £17 worth of gems on February 20th – I should have waited 9 more days!

I had also already spent another £59 earlier that month. Haven’t spent any more money on gems since Feb.

I suppose the idea is to just buy the smallest amount of gems at least once each month to make sure you always qualify for the gifts, but that is too much like a subscription heh.

If you bought gems in February you should have gotten the minis when Dragon Bash started as an appreciation gift.

I would not suggest buying gems in hopes of getting appreciation gifts. They may not always give gifts and if you spend gems just so you might get a small gift of appreciation you may end up unhappy. I suggest you buy gems for things you really want and if you get an appreciation gift thats just a bonus.

The Burninator

Posted by: Ceallach.8740

Ceallach.8740

I don’t see the point in buying gems just to get a “gift” that may or may not happen. The gift has been only worth 500 gems. If you want that thing and didn’t qualify, just buy it and then be qualified for the next “free gift”.

Personally, since I stopped playing WoW I decided to throw $10/mo at GW2 instead – although only if there’s something I actually want.

Posted by: gvaughn.4163

gvaughn.4163

it actually makes a lot of sense for them to show the dates where they will delineate “quarters”. so people know they need to buy gems before so-and-so date – that way they’ll get a flurry of orders before the deadline and fewer complaints.

HoD

JustTrogdor.7892

it actually makes a lot of sense for them to show the dates where they will delineate “quarters”. so people know they need to buy gems before so-and-so date – that way they’ll get a flurry of orders before the deadline and fewer complaints.

This would probably cause another problem. If they do another gift and people just bought gems in hopes of getting one and the gift is not of some subject value that the player expected once again they will flock to the forums to complain.

The best bet is to buy gems when you want them for things you want. The return for doing so is you get the item you want. If Anet decides to do another appreciation gift for the period in which you purchased gems it is just a nice bonus. It isn’t like these gifts are some mind blowing mega prize. They are just nice fun items to have from time to time.

The Burninator

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

This is just silly. If you buy clothes regularly at a store but don’t go one month and you miss a promotion where they give you a free voucher with each purchase you don’t storm into the shop and demand they give you something too. You missed the promotion. There’ll be another one most likely as this seems to be a theme with the Dragon Bash pets and now the kites. ANet don’t owe you anything.

Actually some people will do exactly that.

Other common variations include trying to apply a sale on one item to any other item in the shop (no, you cannot have a PS3 for 1/2 price just because there is a 1/2 price sale on used DS games) and trying to invent their own sale terms or invent a sale from scratch.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Brother Grimm.5176

Would i care if they never made the item? No i never thought about such item. Did i want it would i know it was coming? Yes.

Somewhere ANet employees are ACTUALLY rolling on the floor laughing……

I systematically buy a small quantity of gems every month to avoid being the odd man out in these freebies. Just makes sense if I’m going to buy some anyway.

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)