Thanks to fellow Sprinters!

in Bazaar of the Four Winds

Posted by: Kingkiller.9645

Kingkiller.9645

Hate to be -that guy- and break the chain but I feel that it’s stupid to let someone just have something given to them, maybe I’m old fashioned but I feel if you yourself do not earn the achievement without having someone basically spoon feed it to you, you don’t deserve it. If they wanted everyone to have it then they’d award the achievement after finishing the race.

But here’s the thing; this content was made in a hurry, so it wasn’t tested as well as it should have been. My game was littered with bugs. Whenever I used a skill, something completely unpredictable would happen. For example, if I pressed 3 at a point where it would automatically launch me, I sometimes fell through the floor and hit the water below. Bugs aren’t the same for everyone. Sometimes it’s just not possible to do with without someone’s help. The only reason I did it is because I got lucky.

I’m not a hero. Heroes are not meant to survive, and I’ve lived far too long for that.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I see a lot of chest puffing in this thread about how much skill it takes to finish first and how they dominate the races for a sense of accomplishment. Sorry, but once I learned the track I didn’t see much in the way of skill it takes to win. Finishing first doesn’t feel like an accomplishment to me anymore.

Basic strategy:

1. Try to hit the first skill bag to get the extra power or what ever it is called
  2. Use it, hit the dash, hit it again.
  3. Get next skill bag for extra power.
  4. Hit it, dash over the ramp
  5. Don’t use the power jump for hurdles with the red crystals. Jump normal get it for speed.
  6. Get first fake power up just before the first waterfall.
  7. Keep getting them. Spam them. Take your time to make sure you don’t fall and sometimes falling doesn’t even matter if you have already dropped a few fakes.
  8. Race over.*
  • Use shortcut if you feel you need to win by 35 seconds instead of 30.

Yeah, a lot of skill. Basically luck if you get the first extra power + spam fakes.

The Burninator

Posted by: SynfulChaot.3169

SynfulChaot.3169

Exactly … I had mine handed to me.

But then last night I got 1st again all by myself , literally LOL , I was the only player in the race.

So ….. getting that title means kitten when it comes to actual skill ( because I am kitten when it comes to things like that)

And people with terribad connections still have a chance, a small chance mind you, to win solely with the Light Travel powerup.

If winning that way doesn’t do it for you, keep trying until you win the way you want. But don’t try to decry people doing it how they want.

You may not feel it’s more or less relevant but it is. They could tomorrow give out all the achievements to everyone in the game or remove them completely. You can still feel that what you achieved has the same relevance and value to you. And no one can take that away from you. But it doesn’t change that they now have zero general value.

I entirely disagree. If you think others getting an achievement adds value, you are the one applying that value. It, by itself, has no value other than telling you you got that achievement. It does not care how, why, or when you got that achievement. Just that you got that achievement. Any other value is externally applied by players.

It does not matter if zero, one, ten, one thousand, or everyone has an achievement. The achievement has not changed. Just the value you and like-minded people insist is endemic to the achievement. It’s not.

Also no. Just like some people dont play basketball to have fun while some do. Some people dont play games just to have “fun” and of course some people may have a different idea of fun than you do. Is it possible that their fun is achieving all the tough goals in the game? Or that they like to play competitively? Taking those 2 things away from those people is literally removing their sense of fun.

Others getting the achievement ‘the easy way’ does not change how you got yours. You can have fun how you wish. But it stops being just fun when you’re insisting that others can only have fun your way. To each their own. You enjoy it your way and let others enjoy it theirs. Both groups can coexist, you know.

Tarnished Coast – Wayfarer’s Accord [Way]
Main: Caeimhe – Sylvari Ranger
Alts: Charr Guardian, Asura Elementalist, Human Thief, Norn Necromancer

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

Just wanted to give a big thanks to everyone in the community in sanctum sprint who after winning the title are waiting at the finish line in first so someone else has a chance for the achievement and title. Speaks volumes about a community that has people willing to this and wanted you to know that that genorosity was repaid this morning when I had the race handily in first, and hope that keeps getting passed on!

What server are you own cause mine aren’t so nice and very inconsiderate.. I regret choosing the server I chose for my home, but with my guild and all I am stuck there. sigh

Together we stand in the face of evil!

Posted by: Lokki.1092

Lokki.1092

Both groups can coexist, you know.

How?

If one group has fun by earning a trophy to display their ability, superiority, skill… whatever they feel the trophy shows.

The other group wants everyone to get a trophy for showing up.

They are almost opposite. I just dont get how you dont understand how people in group one can feel cheated. If at the final whistle the Superbowl it was announced or decided that both teams won. the team that actually won may feel they got the short end of the stick.

In other words you cannot have winners if you dont have losers. People that play for that competition require losers. I dont think that this particular race is very competitive honestly but… well I dont know how else to say it. If everyone is a winner then anyone playing for glory gets none… Everyone cant be a winner and at the same time there be any sort of real competition.

JustTrogdor.7892

What server are you own cause mine aren’t so nice and very inconsiderate.. I regret choosing the server I chose for my home, but with my guild and all I am stuck there. sigh

Try Tarnished Coast. In many races we have a friendly group in there. It’s better in the morning on weekdays for some reason. About half the groups I am with are there just for fun and not to try to prove how great they are. I’ve organized races where we agree not to use certain skills to see who could win without them. That is pretty fun too.

The Burninator

Eladriel.7295

Hate to be -that guy- and break the chain but I feel that it’s stupid to let someone just have something given to them, maybe I’m old fashioned but I feel if you yourself do not earn the achievement without having someone basically spoon feed it to you, you don’t deserve it. If they wanted everyone to have it then they’d award the achievement after finishing the race.

Really? Well you know what? I feel if you can’t win that race without hindering others with those lame kitten utility skills instead of your skill with just the first 5 skills alone is really pathetic.. So, how you like those apples? I can’t begin to tell you how many times some one bright lighted me, dazed me and several in a roll in fact. I was the last and they still dazed me and such.. How pathetic… It just goes to show how lame people are.. So don’t even go there. So do you really think they are winning by earning it, no they are winning by hindering others to keep them from the finish line instead of the use of the main skills and their ability to use them. pfft So if there are other players out there that want to do something nice and let another win since they have the achievement… go for it.. It’s a lot better than someone else winning by hindering others.

SynfulChaot.3169

How?

If one group has fun by earning a trophy to display their ability, superiority, skill… whatever they feel the trophy shows.

Simple. You know how you got yours. You can still display your trophy.

The other group wants everyone to get a trophy for showing up.

Very few are that way. Seriously. How has that not been made obvious by now?

They are almost opposite. I just dont get how you dont understand how people in group one can feel cheated. If at the final whistle the Superbowl it was announced or decided that both teams won. the team that actually won may feel they got the short end of the stick.

You feel cheated all you want. By enforcing your wants on others you are preventing them from enjoying the game as they want to.

In other words you cannot have winners if you dont have losers. People that play for that competition require losers. I dont think that this particular race is very competitive honestly but… well I dont know how else to say it. If everyone is a winner then anyone playing for glory gets none… Everyone cant be a winner and at the same time there be any sort of real competition.

True. But that is a race-to-race thing. You win some, you lose some. But you are saying you want some to lose always. If people want to collude to help some get the achievement, more power to them. They are winning in their own way.

You may not like it, but any ‘exclusiveness’ to a title is something you add. And every title will be boosted by some. You cannot stop people from doing that. Learn to let live an let those people enjoy the game as they like. And please stop telling them it is wrong for them to want to play that way. They are not harming you in any way.

Eladriel.7295

Try Tarnished Coast. In many races we have a friendly group in there. It’s better in the morning on weekdays for some reason. About half the groups I am with are there just for fun and not to try to prove how great they are. I’ve organized races where we agree not to use certain skills to see who could win without them. That is pretty fun too.

Nice, I may do that.

SynfulChaot.3169

Nice, I may do that.

Yeah. We’re mostly nice over here on TC. I’ve not seen any of that kittenery that some keep bringing up. Nothing but good runs.

JustTrogdor.7892

Nice, I may do that.

Just a tip though, don’t go into a race asking if people will let you get 1st. Do a race or so and see at the end if people are talking about who still needs achievements. In this way they are offering their help instead of you asking for it. It is usually better received and you will know you are in a good group pretty soon. Also if people help you out and you get the achievement you need don’t just leave the game. Do a few more if other people need help too or goof around like I do. I like to see where I can finish only using jump and lightning pull. Walking through the waterfalls is kind of annoying though.

The loot is pretty good for a short race and isn’t really dependent on where you finish. The average is about 10s a race, some loot, karma, crystals, and a rare drop of a catcher. I have gotten 5 catchers and none of them came from a 1st place finish.

The Burninator

Lokki.1092

-snip-

Well I honestly dont care. Like I said I wait for people. But I am just able to understand why people wouldn’t/don’t like the idea of everyone gets a trophy.

I also understand why people do like the everyone gets a trophy. especially if (for whatever reason) you cannot earn the trophy.

I just get both sides.

Posted by: Ceallach.8740

Ceallach.8740

I don’t really see the comparison to a gold medal of Nobel prize. Those are things that go in people’s biographies and obituaries and that influence career and sponsorship opportunities. Sanctum Sprint is really none of those things – it’s not a respected accomplishment that is going to appear in the news – it’s not even important within the game itself.

They both occur in real life, yes, but Sanctum Sprint is like someone else said – a race at a picnic. It’s definitely not an Olympic level event. Of anything, that would be video game tournaments and high-level competitions – like exist in LoL. Things that people can and do make money from. Not that money is the most important thing, but placing first in Sanctum Sprint is like coming in first in a small town’s 4th of July egg race – They might call you “Egg Champion 2013” and you might even get a picture in the local paper, but no one really cares – it’s about fun and festival spirit. Since winners in Sanctum Sprint aren’t even listed and there’s no list of fastest times or most wins or anything like that this is clearly “just for fun” – not even the level of high school sports or band festival.

Lokki.1092

Simple

Gold medal = reward for coming in first in a race
Sanctum Sprinter achievement = reward for coming in first in a race.

Yes (as I said) the scale is off but they are literally the exact same thing, a reward for winning. We put more weight on one than the other rightfully so, but they are the same thing just on a different scale, and it doesn’t matter if its a family picnic, potato sac race, Jr high track and field or a video game.

We are just talking about the reward at the end of a race and why some people want everyone to get a ribbon, medal, achievement, or trophy and some people want only those who “earn” the win, to be able to get that same reward.

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Just wanted to give a big thanks to everyone in the community in sanctum sprint who after winning the title are waiting at the finish line in first so someone else has a chance for the achievement and title. Speaks volumes about a community that has people willing to this and wanted you to know that that genorosity was repaid this morning when I had the race handily in first, and hope that keeps getting passed on!

Indeed, I managed to get 2nd place a few times but only through the availability of light travel at just the right time, but I did manage to find a group like yours that was willing to give up the win to someone who hadn’t gotten 1st yet.

I think people need to realise that this game is about achievements as it is about gameplay and race strategy, and now those achievements — instead of being just numbers — have come to the fore and are now a bit more substantial with tangible rewards, people are shooting for titles even more to increase their AP score.

Although you will get the complete arses that won’t give an inch, neither in attitude nor in action, and just want to troll the people that are being fair towards others, generally I’ve found the co-operation pretty amazing.

I mentioned this in a post about lag earlier, and those that have low pings and have practised the circuit well will undoubtedly get 1st most of the time. People like myself and most of those in Australia, for instance, will have consistently high pings which will attribute to end-of-race lag. At the start of the race, everything is fine, the server knows where everyone is, etc. — towards the middle of the race, the server has a bit of a hard time keeping up with the whereabouts of all these people on the map, especially when it comes to jumps (wind) and leaps (lightning), because the server has to relocate you on the map somewhere if your actions are ahead of the server’s. Because everyone gets so antsy about being held up by skills that are detrimental to their progress and they just want to finish the race in a decent placing, they’ll panic and spam keys, oblivious to the fact that the server is still trying it’s hardest to process everyone’s commands; and sometimes, eventually, you’ll get ported back to a place that you left behind perhaps 10-20 seconds ago, and all you can think is WTF?

Promoting a negative attitude such as “you gotta earn your achieves” with a minigame as fidgety as this is (because of reasons I’ve already mentioned) only serves to put down other players who either don’t know the course that well or people who will almost never come in the first three placings because of factors that are beyond their control. The main thing is not to panic, you’ll come across an awesome group like I and a fair few others here did, and the achievements will be yours for the taking… it’s a community we have going here, and helping each other out is a big part of that.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: Lisa.6102

Lisa.6102

Nice, I may do that.

Or Try Sea of Sorrows at around 2am pst ( thats like 7pm australian time) Last night i played at least 8 games on my own with no one in the race till I got bored.

Posted by: Gildan Bladeborn.2198

Gildan Bladeborn.2198

If this was a permanent achievement that wasn’t heavily based on factors largely outside many players control such that any perceived “skill” involved in achieving victory is rendered almost entirely illusory because you’re doubtless competing against people who LITERALLY CANNOT BEAT YOU, if those things were true, I could ALMOST see the people being jerks and/or defending their right to be enormous jerks’ point. Almost.

But you know what? This is temporary content! So yeah, frak that, big kudos to all the people playing this game who understand that competing to REACH the finish line first is every bit as satisfying as crossing it first, and by choosing not to do so every time they race even though they pretty much could, are allowing other people to complete achievements in limited-run content before it disappears. And thus they are rewarded twice for their efforts, because they get the satisfaction of knowing they won and the warm feeling one derives from being helpful to their fellow players.

By the logic of the folks showing up here, in this thread devoted to being thankful that there are in fact nice people playing this game, to argue that people shouldn’t ever do that and “oh noes you are devaluing my meaningless in-game achievement that doesn’t matter anyways what the hell is wrong with you it’s a bloody game”, if you DIDN’T spend your entire time inside say… the Obsidian jumping puzzle actively trying to kill each and every player from the opposing servers that might also be trying to jump it alongside of you, then you’re just letting them win and that’s cheating and totally devalues the jumping puzzle achievement for all the people who already have it.

That’s of course nonsense, not killing people who aren’t attacking you in that jumping puzzle is just not being a colossal jerk, but this is the mindset of the folks showing up here to complain – truly, they have a baffling value system.

Ceia Mirschail is my mesmer, and I am one of [SLVR]’s overachievers.
Ehmry Bay for life!

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

May be you are the one i have seen yesterday?
He was very good and he apparently enjoyed to place fals-items on strategic points, where you have to go through so people was kicked down, ported back an so on. He won 5 races in line, after that i leaved the group. I had my achivement allready, so i just done the race for fun but it wasn’t fun anymore. guy like he are the most disgusting typ of players.

Oh no, someone plays to win in a competitive minigame, how disgusting.
Lol, I’m not even the competitive type (I way prefer co-op stuff), but that’s just stupidly ridiculous.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Posted by: Ceallach.8740

Ceallach.8740

Simple

Gold medal = reward for coming in first in a race
Sanctum Sprinter achievement = reward for coming in first in a race.

Yes (as I said) the scale is off but they are literally the exact same thing, a reward for winning. We put more weight on one than the other rightfully so, but they are the same thing just on a different scale, and it doesn’t matter if its a family picnic, potato sac race, Jr high track and field or a video game.

We are just talking about the reward at the end of a race and why some people want everyone to get a ribbon, medal, achievement, or trophy and some people want only those who “earn” the win, to be able to get that same reward.

I’m not sure what you’re trying to say (I don’t mean that in a rude way), but while, yes, you can compare them with words… the comparison is pointless and saying “reward for coming in first in a race” is just mincing words, something that you can do for anything.

Potato, Hemlock = plants.
Felis catus, Panthera tigris = cats, member of the Family Felidae.
President of the USA, President of Book Club = presidents.

If you’re at a family sack race and you push a 3-year-old out of the way in order to win your family will disown you and call you names that this forum will convert to “kitten” after they take the crying 3 year old out of earshot.

Sanctum Sprint is somewhere in-between that and the Olympics and is being treated by players as such and it’s natural there’s some disagreement.

When the wins and times aren’t even recorded in-game I really can’t care more than a potato-sack race and dragging a “well what if Phelps gave up the Gold so others could feel good” is not a worthwhile comparison any more than it is to say that people ought to wear masks on the back of their heads so that their housecats don’t attack and eat them and defending it with, “well, they’re both literally cats !”

I don’t really care how people play, but the comparison is just a bit silly and an obfuscation. If a person wants to win, that’s fine – if they really don’t care one way or another, also fine – if they let other people win, that’s fine too. It doesn’t really matter because this game isn’t a structured and serious competition.

(edited by Ceallach.8740)

Lokki.1092

I don’t really care how people play, but the comparison is just a bit silly and an obfuscation. If a person wants to win, that’s fine – if they really don’t care one way or another, also fine – if they let other people win, that’s fine too. It doesn’t really matter because this game isn’t a structured and serious competition.

I’m sorry you don’t understand but I don’t know how I can simplify it any more than that. You are taking subject matters and simplifying them to a base that doesn’t explain what they are. If I asked you “What is a tiger?” And you answered “A cat.” I would be missing a lot of key information about it because a tiger is more than just a cat.

But I didn’t do that, there is no missing information, vagueness, or ambiguation there. An Olympic gold medal is the highest reward for winning a competition in the games it is named for, that is all it is. Just like the first place ribbon is the highest reward for winning a competition in the game it is named for. The game they are awarded for may be different and the competitors may be different but they are the same thing.

This is why Olympic awards have not even always been medals, There was a few occasions (and of course the ancient games) where they gave out a stick… (olive branch). There have been cups as well and of course the “gold” medal isn’t made of gold at all. Because what the object is doesn’t matter at all nor does it’s monetary worth. It’s all about getting the acknowledgement that you are the best. This is why if Sochi 2014 games decide to give out gold silver and bronze ribbons to the competitors no one will miss a beat. Because the shape or name of the award is irrelevant. It’s just about getting first place.

You have taken what I have said and twisted it, like pushing a 3year old down is (most likely) cheating at the game. So yes I agree you would be disqualified (and possibly have more repercussions) But how is that any different from if you pushed your opponent down while racing the Olympic level 100 meter? Still cheating, still facing repercussions.

Sounds to me that what you are saying is;
Gold medal being inflated by giving them out to everyone is bad because it’s important
3 year old potato sac race ribbon being inflated by giving them out to everyone is no big deal because its not all that important.

Well there are a lot of levels between the two. Where does it for you, become important enough to say we should stop giving out ribbons to everyone at this level of competition. Jr high? High school? The nationals? or is it only at the world wide Olympic level where we should say “ok now everyone doesn’t get a medal anymore”?

To be fair I agree that there is a point where who cares if everyone got a medal, Its just a race for 3 yearold kids. But surely you understand that everyone has a different Idea of where true competition begins. And for some it may be lower than you. Tell my son that his 1st place ribbon is meaningless and he would look at you like you were crazy. Because to you it’s not as important because it wasn’t on the world stage but to him he worked hard for it and is proud of what he did. However “you showed up” ribbons find their way to the trash fast.

Posted by: Theplayboy.6417

Theplayboy.6417

This is a major problem with the GW2 Community and people today. Something for nothing. I would have to imagine that the OP and many others in this thread are Freeloading Obama supporters…

There is so much wrong here that I’m not even going to bother.

If you can’t win the race you do not deserve the title or the achievement. It’s as simple as that. Nothing in life is truly fair and this is no exception. If your handicapped or live in a part of the world that forces you to have poor latency then I am sorry that it is an unfortunate situation for you. But that’s that’s where it ends. If you can’t win you don’t deserve the reward. Sanctum Sprint is a Player vs Player Race. If you want handouts and freebies just for showing up then stick to PvEasy. However, feel free to cry about not being good enough to place first as much as you want though.

I seems you are missing any shred of compassion for your fellow man. I feel sorry for you.

No. Things are not fair. That doesn’t, however, mean they shouldn’t be. It doesn’t mean that we should like that things are unfair. It also doesn’t mean we shouldn’t still try to help others. As far as I’m concerned, anyone who I help still earned the achievement. They still worked and got rewarded for their work.

I have tons of empathy for less fortunate individuals. The issue is that you people have lost the plot completely or don’t fully understand what a race is. Just so we’re all on the same page Sanctum Sprint is a competition between players. I cannot believe all of the crying and complaining that I’m seeing from people who don’t have what it takes to finish in 1st Place in the race. Boo hoo you don’t have the skill or twitch ability to beat several other players in an online race…….and yet you feel you deserve and are owed the “Sanctum Sprinter” title.

And if you want to take it to a compassionate level letting someone finish 1st place in an online video game so that they can get a few free achievement points is not “helping your fellow man”. Its a video game. Get it? There millions of people in the world that don’t know when they’ll eat again or where that food will be coming from and your only concern is latency, fairness, and not being skilled enough to get points in a video game. Talk about your first world problems. Give me a freaking break.

(edited by Theplayboy.6417)

Posted by: Silvernia.6053

Silvernia.6053

snip …and of course the “gold” medal isn’t made of gold at all… snip

This isn’t true. Anyway you’re neglecting the fact that Phelps and the other Olympiads are racing against people on equal footing so they can be truly competitive. These competitors would never even come close to competing otherwise and many hopefuls never do. If you insist on making real world comparisons then you have to acknowledge that the average schmoe doesn’t just roll out of bed one day scratching his beer gut and decide to be an Olympian over his morning coffee. If this sprint had a real life equivalent then people getting this bent out of shape over it wouldn’t make any sense. I don’t know why people insist on making this comparison. There is none.

I propose a ladder match system where everyone can still get their 1 first place achievement and anyone who cares can duke it out for top spot. Someone will still complain but that’s just how these things go. It would still be unfair to many but at least the playing field at the top would level out some.

Doomcookie
lvl 80 Asuran Guardian
NA Gate of Madness

SynfulChaot.3169

I have tons of empathy for less fortunate individuals. The issue is that you people have lost the plot completely or don’t fully understand what a race is. Just so we’re all on the same page Sanctum Sprint is a competition between players. I cannot believe all of the crying and complaining that I’m seeing from people who don’t have what it takes to finish in 1st Place in the race. Boo boo you don’t have the skill or twitch ability to beat several other players in an online race…….and yet you feel you deserve and are owed the “Sanctum Sprinter” title.

Yes, it is a by definition a competition. But I don’t care to ‘compete’ against anyone but myself. So I race the clock until I get to the finish line. And if I happen to arrive first I stop and let others get their achievement if they so choose. Why? Because the rewards for first are not that much greater than just completing it at all. And I am there for the completion rewards, not winning. That way I can ‘win’, and so can someone else.

Also, I don’t feel I am owed anything. I got first of my own accord. Many times over, if I had chosen to cross when I arrived. But I don’t. Instead I choose to help others.

And many can’t get it normally not due to skill but due to latency, which they CANNOT be blamed for. If you’re saying that only those with fast connections and low latency deserve to win then I feel sorry for you.

And if you want to take it to a compassionate level letting someone finish 1st place in an online video game so that they can get a few free achievement points is not “helping your fellow man”. Its a video game. Get it? A video game…….

Exactly. It’s a video game. Thus there is no problem with helping others.

(edited by SynfulChaot.3169)

Lokki.1092

I propose a ladder match system where everyone can still get their 1 first place achievement and anyone who cares can duke it out for top spot. Someone will still complain but that’s just how these things go. It would still be unfair to many but at least the playing field at the top would level out some.

Firstly, Olympic gold medals are not made of gold they haven’t been made of gold for over a century now. They are generally made of ~90% silver and plated with ~5grams of gold. This is just a fact.

Other than that I agree with most of what you said. I don’t think this race is all that important, and in IMHO it’s down with the potato sac race in importance. In this case because of 2 things; The unfair playing field, and the luck based light travel make this a game where the playing field isn’t level in the first place, making wining ultimately pointless in the first place.

My only point was that just because I or you view it that way doesn’t change that other people may see it as good competition, and worthwhile. On that same note I find the Olympics pointless, and feel achievements for feats of strength to pale in comparison to feats of intelligence. So If they decided to hand out more “you showed up” medals (which they already do) at the Olympics, or even gave everyone that tried or wanted one, a gold medal. I wouldn’t care one bit. But I bet some of them would. and I totally understand why.

And nice proposal. would need tweaking but it would satisfy the competitors. Though If MMO gaming has taught me anything it’s that if you exclude anyone from anything be it of their own ability or not they will complain. See the achievement leaders complaints… we all can gain infinite achievement points and people still complain because others are getting there first…

Posted by: Silvernia.6053

Silvernia.6053

Firstly, Olympic gold medals are not made of gold they haven’t been made of gold for over a century now. They are generally made of ~90% silver and plated with ~5grams of gold. This is just a fact.

Yes. But you said they weren’t made of gold at all. It was just a minor gripe on the topic of the perceived value of a thing. No biggie. Kindly disregard.

Doomcookie
lvl 80 Asuran Guardian
NA Gate of Madness

Posted by: sinderhella.5680

sinderhella.5680

Exactly. I played three games and figured out the game and now place anywhere from first to third in 7+ player races. The mini game isn’t hard at all sadly no reason people can’t earn it. This isn’t World of Warcraft. Earn your stuff by trying instead of having it given.

Would I like the achievement? Yes of course I would. Am I ever going to get it? Probably not, mini games like the race are the only place in the game that I encounter consistent lag and/or rubber banding which makes a race such as that nearly impossible to win. I don’t expect someone to let me win, but if they did I would be grateful, it wouldn’t carry the same meaning because they let me win, but in the end I get the achievement points that would otherwise be gone forever.

Sinderhella – 80 Thief | Magoria – 80 Necromancer
When a thief tells you ’’L2P’’, they mean this.
Solider Bee ~ Sinister Swarm

Posted by: Lisa.6102

Lisa.6102

I’m sorry you don’t understand but I don’t know how I can simplify it any more than that. You are taking subject matters and simplifying them to a base that doesn’t explain what they are. If I asked you “What is a tiger?” And you answered “A cat.” I would be missing a lot of key information about it because a tiger is more than just a cat.

But I didn’t do that, there is no missing information, vagueness, or ambiguation there. An Olympic gold medal is the highest reward for winning a competition in the games it is named for, that is all it is. Just like the first place ribbon is the highest reward for winning a competition in the game it is named for. The game they are awarded for may be different and the competitors may be different but they are the same thing.

This is why Olympic awards have not even always been medals, There was a few occasions (and of course the ancient games) where they gave out a stick… (olive branch). There have been cups as well and of course the “gold” medal isn’t made of gold at all. Because what the object is doesn’t matter at all nor does it’s monetary worth. It’s all about getting the acknowledgement that you are the best. This is why if Sochi 2014 games decide to give out gold silver and bronze ribbons to the competitors no one will miss a beat. Because the shape or name of the award is irrelevant. It’s just about getting first place.

You have taken what I have said and twisted it, like pushing a 3year old down is (most likely) cheating at the game. So yes I agree you would be disqualified (and possibly have more repercussions) But how is that any different from if you pushed your opponent down while racing the Olympic level 100 meter? Still cheating, still facing repercussions.

Sounds to me that what you are saying is;
Gold medal being inflated by giving them out to everyone is bad because it’s important
3 year old potato sac race ribbon being inflated by giving them out to everyone is no big deal because its not all that important.

Well there are a lot of levels between the two. Where does it for you, become important enough to say we should stop giving out ribbons to everyone at this level of competition. Jr high? High school? The nationals? or is it only at the world wide Olympic level where we should say “ok now everyone doesn’t get a medal anymore”?

To be fair I agree that there is a point where who cares if everyone got a medal, Its just a race for 3 yearold kids. But surely you understand that everyone has a different Idea of where true competition begins. And for some it may be lower than you. Tell my son that his 1st place ribbon is meaningless and he would look at you like you were crazy. Because to you it’s not as important because it wasn’t on the world stage but to him he worked hard for it and is proud of what he did. However “you showed up” ribbons find their way to the trash fast.

Yes but what your failing to see here is that getting that title in the sprint here is no real competition here , not all competitors are starting that race on equal terms.

Its equivalent to starting a 100 mt sprint with

Bolt, Ian Thorpe, Bomba the jungle boy, Borat and Stephen Hawking

If Bolt thinks he won that race because he was competing with equal competitors , then someone should call in the drug testers and I don’t mean WADA

(edited by Lisa.6102)

Posted by: ElenaDragon.8401

ElenaDragon.8401

Sanctum Sprint would only be similar to the Olympics if the Olympics were constantly running the same races over and over again, anyone could enter, and if anyone who got first place ONCE got a gold medal. So they’re really nothing alike.

Posted by: eyelogix.1654

eyelogix.1654

Exactly. I played three games and figured out the game and now place anywhere from first to third in 7+ player races. The mini game isn’t hard at all sadly no reason people can’t earn it. This isn’t World of Warcraft. Earn your stuff by trying instead of having it given.

It’s not easy for everyone. In some cases, not easy purely due to factors outside of their control like latency.

I don’t think it was meant to be easy for everyone, that’s why it’s not required for the meta event. That being said, I can certainly understand the frustration of not being able to get an achievement point. I personally am having trouble with some of the kite ones. But I will continue to try and work at it, and everyone should try and work at the things they struggle with so they can get better at it. What’s the point of playing the game if you just get everything handed to you?

Coming 2nd is just as much work as coming 1st.

Nah who am I kidding. Getting 1st is easy if you get lucky with teleport power ups. It’s really a luck based title. Not skill based.

Actually, if you finish having used Light Speed, you don’t get the achievement. I had this happen – used two of em, took first, it said I had second, presumably due to having lost 10 points (two checkpoints)

I got 3 of them on my other account went in first without having any issues got the achievements so Light speed is working as intended.

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

I´m getting really tired with having to jump through all these hoops just so that I can actually craft stuff on my own.

Then have “Achievement” kittens bemoaning the fact that people aren´t good enough (what-the-kitten-ever that means) and don´t deserve some arbitrary “Achievement”.

If somebody manages to “cheat” himself to 1st place, props to him.
Gaming the system this way is much smarter than learning to be the best trained monkey, IMHO.

PROTip 4 ANet:
STOP gating content through an activity that your game cannot handle properly!

Polish > hype

Posted by: Barabbas.8715

Barabbas.8715

Maybe I’m old fashioned but it seems to me that when the giant that holds up the earth dies, we are SCREWED. walks off whistling

But seriously, it isn’t a handout. By having everyone with the title wait for those who don’t have it, the lesser skilled competitors are able to compete amongst themselves on a level more appropriate for them. You wouldn’t make a kid on a high school track team compete against Usain Bolt. Sanctum Sprint has no way of grouping players according to skill so this method works to help mitigate that.

Posted by: Genei.7502

Genei.7502

First off let me say that I really enjoyed this mini game. It felt like the GW2 version of Mario Kart. If the content and achievement was going to stick around for a while I’d consider being competitive 100% of the time. People have different skill levels of play. The Halloween Clocktower JP was incredibly hard, and challenging. I played that for a lot longer to beat, and there was no ability for players to help players. However here I feel like I can help people enjoy the game and get less frustrated whether it’s them or their internet connection preventing them from winning.

To all those saying “do it yourself” I have to wonder how many of you found all the kites and crystals on your own and how many looked up guides and wiki. Maybe you should start a campaign to have all the helpful and informative content removed from the internet so all the players have the same challenges and have to take their own notes. In fact you should probably get rid of Team Speak and Chat because people might talk to each other and give advice….sheesh

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I don’t really see waiting at the finish line and letting other people get 1st as that much of a handout.

They still need to beat everyone else, and they still need to complete the track. Its not like they’re getting the achieve for nothing at all, there’s still effort required. Just a tad less effort than trying to get in front of me when I’m 20 seconds ahead.

Posted by: Zhavari.7190

Zhavari.7190

Just wanted to give a big thanks to everyone in the community in sanctum sprint who after winning the title are waiting at the finish line in first so someone else has a chance for the achievement and title.

You’re very welcome!

I don’t even run to beat the other players, mostly; I just run to beat my previous times. Best I’ve finished so far is with 4m to spare.

I also sometimes don’t start until 5m are left to see how far I can come back. I enjoy making personal mini-games out of these events.

JustTrogdor.7892

You’re very welcome!

I don’t even run to beat the other players, mostly; I just run to beat my previous times. Best I’ve finished so far is with 4m to spare.

I also sometimes don’t start until 5m are left to see how far I can come back. I enjoy making personal mini-games out of these events.

I make some of my own personal games myself. I ran several races where I tried to only use lightning pull skill and nothing else. There are a few spots on the track where I tried various angles with it but couldn’t get past unless I did 1 or 2 jumps.

I’ve run it many times trying to finish with all the skills in my slots but in the top 3 – 5. That one is doable but it gets difficult when you are in an area where the fakes got spammed toward the end because you hit one and it nukes all your skills so you have to turn around and try to pick up some you passed up.

An easier one is to run it without using dash or the teleports. The waterfalls can be a pain but you can dodge forward to get through them a bit quicker. A lot of the time several of us that don’t need the achievements will organize a race like that between ourselves. There are all sorts of fun ways to make a mini game out of a mini game and let some of the less experienced players have more balanced playing field as they try to get 1st without just handing it to them by waiting at the line. Of course I do that frequently as well.

Really what would have been fun and also make the playing field more level for those less experienced would to have tiered arenas. If you win 5 1st place wins you go to the next tier with others with the same. Then at 10 more 1st places you go up again, and so forth. At each tier there would be slightly less skill bags available. In that case each level would offer slightly higher rewards and say 5 achievement points. That way the people still trying to complete the base achievements would not always be racing against people that have figured out the trick to winning constantly. I’d be all for racing at the next tier.

The Burninator