The Fake Powerups' range needs to get nerfed

in Bazaar of the Four Winds

Posted by: Mates.3821

Mates.3821

Let me say first that I really like the Sanctum Race, however, there’s one thing that ruins the whole thing a lot.
The Fake Powerups have ridiculously high range, and therefore you can’t avoid a lot of them unless you are really lucky and get stability all the time. What does it mean? The person, that gets just a little ahead of everyone else to the first spot early in the race roflstomps through, because there are no fake powerups in front of him for the rest of the race, and he slows everyone else just by spamming the fake powerups whereever he pleases (Especially the lightning platforms are completely unavoidable). This is coming from me, in the recent 7 races I’ve gotten to the first spot 6 times, and every time I’ve been ahead of the second person at LEAST 25 seconds. I’m the one winning here, and complain anyway, I just feel it’s not fair.
I’m okay with the effect of the fake powerup, but man, that range is INSANE.

Posted by: ContraBit.9174

ContraBit.9174

The range is insane because EVERYONE has the same huge hitbox.
I agree with the number 1 having a huge advantage over others and having fake power ups at fixed locations doesnt help.

(edited by ContraBit.9174)

Posted by: Zenge.7856

Zenge.7856

The best way to avoid getting knock back with these is to use the jump skill over them or use the stability. Other than that, that’s pretty much it.

Posted by: KrisHQ.4719

KrisHQ.4719

I completely agree. It’s simply a too strong power-up compared to the ones you get if you’re third place, which makes no sense.
The fake-powerup is much better than a blind.

Lysis Kawahara – D/D Elementalist
Zaphiel Faires – DPS Guardian

Posted by: Coldin.2840

Coldin.2840

Yeah, it’s too powerful. It’s actually easier to hit the fake powerup than it is to run over the real ones. Plus it knocks down and removes any buffs the player might have been saving. And it can be placed in completely unavoidable places with blind spots.

Kind of funny one of the more powerful attack powerups is given to the leaders.

Coldin – Thief – Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I agree that all the other objects on the track should have the same range…and they certainly do not appear to .

What other offensive power up could the leader use (besides the one that checkpoint jump….that would be completely unfair)?

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: BlueSoda.6297

BlueSoda.6297

Yeah if there was a way to tactically avoid them it would add a lot to the race. I usually just keep “grounded” on me until I see one, (but I don’t always see them XD lolz). I just can’t really tell how close you can get to them without getting hit.

Charr Lawful-Neutral

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

+1.

I’ve been on both ends: winning by over 30 seconds and being knocked from second place to 11th by getting roflstomped by 5 fake-power ups on the lightning platforms at the end.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Coldin.2840

I agree that all the other objects on the track should have the same range…and they certainly do not appear to .

What other offensive power up could the leader use (besides the one that checkpoint jump….that would be completely unfair)?

The Light Speed checkpoint is a defensive powerup actually.

I think giving the leader that powerup that slows people down would be fine. That can at least be managed and doesn’t usually cause any issues in actually racing.

Posted by: KrisHQ.4719

KrisHQ.4719

I think giving the leader that powerup that slows people down would be fine. That can at least be managed and doesn’t usually cause any issues in actually racing.

The leading person should only be getting the blind, since it’s pretty useless.

Lysis Kawahara – D/D Elementalist
Zaphiel Faires – DPS Guardian

Posted by: Kiriwar.7382

Kiriwar.7382

Doesn’t Blind daze though? I swore I used blind and watched a dude get stunned mid-jump and fall to his death (and I laughed). I think it’s more useful than lightning since you don’t see blind coming.

On topic: Yes, one of the things I raged the hardest the most about SS was the FLIPPING RANGE OF FAKE POWERUPS!!! it’s at least 180 and very hard to avoid – I even tried to 1-jump over it and STILL got hit! Now whenever I see a powerup I just use Grounded… or just avoid powerups all together.

Like swords, sorcery and misfortune?
Read Wingless, a fantasy comic about a knight’s journey, here!

Coldin.2840

Doesn’t Blind daze though? I swore I used blind and watched a dude get stunned mid-jump and fall to his death (and I laughed). I think it’s more useful than lightning since you don’t see blind coming.

On topic: Yes, one of the things I raged the hardest the most about SS was the FLIPPING RANGE OF FAKE POWERUPS!!! it’s at least 180 and very hard to avoid – I even tried to 1-jump over it and STILL got hit! Now whenever I see a powerup I just use Grounded… or just avoid powerups all together.

Only lightning dazes/stuns I believe. Blind will cancel out a channeled skill, but that only applies to the light dash. Wind can knock back on it’s high tier too, and that hits suddenly.

Posted by: KorKor.9452

KorKor.9452

Ya, they do have a high range and also very buggy. I’ve watched people go through them with sun sprint but yet it exploded on me doing the same thing. I’ve also been at one side of the bridge the left with it on the other and still gotten hit by it because it exploded. Hell! I once placed one and had it explode on me! The person who placed it and it’s not even supposed to do that! It only ever happened once but still!

I got what I wanted from the place but getting a little tired of each mini-game on release being so buggy.

Posted by: Cotheer.2806

Cotheer.2806

I just won my first place.
All i can tell you is that 90% (if not 100%) of the time i was in lead, i was getting fake powerups from those “bags”. That number was significantly smaller during races in which i was 2nd or lower.

Coldin.2840

I just won my first place.
All i can tell you is that 90% (if not 100%) of the time i was in lead, i was getting fake powerups from those “bags”. That number was significantly smaller during races in which i was 2nd or lower.

That’s because all the offensive powerups give you when you’re in first is bombs. So someone in first can be dropping them constantly. People in 2nd and 3rd place also mostly get bombs, but that doesn’t really help them catch the guy in first.

Posted by: Joseph Skyrim.2470

Joseph Skyrim.2470

I think if you turn on “6” you can run through the bombs and take no damage. Well, the first bomb anyway. :P

Posted by: Rengaru.4730

Rengaru.4730

Change the knockback to a knockdown (1-2 seconds) and remove the “you lose all powerups” part and I wouldn’t mind them being placed in unavoidable spots that much.

But right now being the 2nd is a nightmare if the 1st knows what he has to do.

Coldin.2840

Change the knockback to a knockdown (1-2 seconds) and remove the “you lose all powerups” part and I wouldn’t mind them being placed in unavoidable spots that much.

But right now being the 2nd is a nightmare if the 1st knows what he has to do.

Seriously. 3rd place can be pretty bad too if 2nd avoids 1st’s bombs and sets his own too.

I do keep forgetting that bombs also remove any current powerups. None of the other offensive powerups do that as far as I’m aware. It’s funny that they basically gave 1st place the best tool available for staying in first, short of something really absurd.

Posted by: Barabbas.8715

Barabbas.8715

Too overpowered. Especially since they can be placed in unavoidable spots and the fact that who’s in first will get them every time they get an offensive power up bag.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

They are extremely annoying if you are in 2nd or 3rd place and trying to catch up, certainly. However, you can still avoid them by using Assisted Leap or Lightning Pull to jump over them, using Grounded, or just by taking a different route (although this will usually slow you down).

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

They are extremely annoying if you are in 2nd or 3rd place and trying to catch up, certainly. However, you can still avoid them by using Assisted Leap or Lightning Pull to jump over them, using Grounded, or just by taking a different route (although this will usually slow you down).

Yeah it is a bit lopsided. If a person gets out in front by several seconds they can spam them all day. Like you said the best hope is to jump, dodge, or ground. The AOE on them is a bit large though. Try to well time a sprint to catch up with the person in first and one will almost always slap you in the face.

I won’t lie, I used them like crazy when I was shooting for first place achievement. Now I almost never use them incase someone behind me is still shooting for the title. Heck I spent a few races exploring and swimming in the lake looking for stuff. The payoff for where you place in the race isn’t enough for me to try that hard unless someone is trash talking then they get Fake PU’ed every time I get one.

The Burninator

Posted by: Sir Black.7423

Sir Black.7423

The worst is when someone puts one on top of a lightning jump target. If you haven’t Grounded before you jump, then you’re doomed. And of course it doesn’t just knock you down and make you lose a couple seconds. No, you’ll fall off the platform and reset to the last checkpoint. Instantly going from 2nd place to 8th place due to a single hard-to-avoid Fake Powerup is very frustrating.

It ends up seeming like the race is decided not so much by who can most skillfully maneuver the entire course, but by who can most effectively gain a slight early lead and drop a few of these to screw over anyone close. And that means the 1st place winner is usually determined before the race is even half over, at least as long as they don’t make any stupid mistakes the rest of the way.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

And that means the 1st place winner is usually determined before the race is even half over, at least as long as they don’t make any stupid mistakes the rest of the way.

Hehe, that was how I got first place for the very first time. XD The person in front of me was being a juvenile cat and dropping Fake Powerups everywhere, forcing me to slow down to avoid them. Then, they screwed up with Lightning Pull and jumped off the edge at the long bamboo bridge, allowing me to gain the lead. The two of us were far ahead enough of the pack that I was basically unchallenged for the rest of the match.

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

Just jump over them. After you do the race twice you can pretty much tell which are real and which are fake. Just jump over them with your #1 skill (or as others have mentioned, if you have ‘Grounded’ use that).

Coldin.2840

Just jump over them. After you do the race twice you can pretty much tell which are real and which are fake. Just jump over them with your #1 skill (or as others have mentioned, if you have ‘Grounded’ use that).

Still really annoying. Jumping over them can be tricky, as can dodging them. Or they can be in a blind spot or just after a jump.

It’s just interesting how the bomb powerup is much more effective for keeping first place than the gusts, lightning, and blinds are for taking first place.

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

I think they were playing a little bit too much Mario Kart when they came up with this. Only thing is, in that game fake blocks were balanced because the races didn’t occur on inch-wide beams and unavoidable platforms.

Ironically they didn’t take the item from Mario Kart that would have helped balance most: blue shells.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic