$100 for a weapon? Gemstore too expensive!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

Sure I have the choice between flying to California and riding my bike to California…no one is FORCING me to spend my money on airfare afterall, but I’m pretty sure I know which option I’d choose.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wonderly.1324

Wonderly.1324

As others have suggested, other options would be to convert gems to gold and just buy the ticket. Alternatively, you could farm keys. But I agree with you in a matter of principle; legalized gambling is not cool.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Sure I have the choice between flying to California and riding my bike to California…no one is FORCING me to spend my money on airfare afterall, but I’m pretty sure I know which option I’d choose.

You have three choices (not two):

1. Paying $1 for a lotto ticket, grand prize: plane ticket to California. You can also buy 200 lotto tickets, if you like.
  2. Paying nothing and taking 3 months to ride your bike to California.
  3. Paying $15-$30 on Travelocity/etc for a discount plane ticket. (Price varies depending on when you want to go and whether you care about the exact timing of the flight.)

Now which choice would you make?

The first choice is akin to how the BL Keys work: it’s a lottery, not a guarantee. The second is like farming keys: guaranteed to be slow. The third is equivalent to converting cash to gems to gold (and then considering whether to make a custom offer on the skin).

Plus, there’s the fourth choice of using gold earned in the game to buy the stuff you want.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

All BL skins are on trade post,no need to gamble you can just convert gem to gold,or just farm the gold in game

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mazzy.3176

Mazzy.3176

I wish I had that much cash.
I’m reluctant to buy keys, but I LOVE opening chests and surprises so it’s really hard for me…. but still I have managed to steer clear of the keys.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

So you acknowledge you have similar options on the TP to get items you don’t need. It’s a good first step.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

But the real issue is do you NEED to go to California (or do you just WANT to go)?

You blame the METHOD when the real issue is the REASON.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

1. Paying $1 for a lotto ticket, grand prize: plane ticket to California. You can also buy 200 lotto tickets, if you like.
  3. Paying $15-$30 on Travelocity/etc for a discount plane ticket. (Price varies depending on when you want to go and whether you care about the exact timing of the flight.)

The first choice is akin to how the BL Keys work: it’s a lottery, not a guarantee. The second is like farming keys: guaranteed to be slow. The third is equivalent to converting cash to gems to gold (and then considering whether to make a custom offer on the skin).

Plus, there’s the fourth choice of using gold earned in the game to buy the stuff you want.

actually it costs more to ride to California then to fly there, gas isn’t free you know.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

actually it costs more to ride to California then to fly there, gas isn’t free you know.

We are talking about riding a bicycle (no gas). Regardless, since time is money, that option is more expensive for those that don’t have the time. And even for those who do have time, there are better ways to earn wealth towards getting a skin.

I was responding to a post that suggested there were only two options; my point is that there are at least three.

Ignoring the analogy, the real point is that the cheapest and least-time method is always going to be putting a buy offer on the TP at a price that makes sense for you.

Accepting someone else’s sale offer is a decent, but substantially more costly alternative.

But by far the most expensive choices (in time or money) are doing key runs or spending dollars to buy keys with gems.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Obtena.7952

The point here is that people are complaining about something that they CHOOSE to do based on a desire to own a luxury item. No one needs a BL skin, so QQing about the cost is obtuse.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Again some awesome skins behind RNG boxes. kitten this! I stopped until they introduce something I can earn for playing the game – with new content, to give you a hint how to make a game.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

in Black Lion Trading Co

Obtena.7952

Clearly, if you are thinking that Anet is going to introduce a more ‘raid-earn gear’ approach that most other MMO’s have, it’s going to have a VERY limited impact since it would take a tremendous effort to seed content with all the different skins that exist. So much so that I would say at this point, you can forget about ‘earning’ your favourite existing skins as raid drops.

Even with the game status now, we are not completely devoid of gear limited to specific encounters (Aether skins, champ skins, etc… ) so what people are asking for (and QQing about) is happening, just not 100%.