1c undercutting is destroying competition

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: diamondgirl.6315

diamondgirl.6315

Would 3hrs vs 1 hrs waiting really effect how fun trading in the TP is? Would it even be noticable for the causual player?

Yes. Would everyone stop mentally defining ‘casual’ as ’doesn’t care what happens ingame,’ and redefine it as, ‘I don’t have more than three hours a day to play, and would like to have the game mechanics help me get the most fun out of my limited time, as opposed to hinder my efforts to play?’

As a casual player, I am not going to treat the market as a second job. I would, however, like to innocently plop a few things down on the TP and hope I can sell them, without accidentally causing a run on wool, or incurring the violent wrath of the acknowledged King Of Filched Goods Bags, or something.

I want to spend my time playing the game, please, and making enough to keep myself geared. This is what many people would like, and though the rules required to keep it casual may madden the traders, well… it’s a dynamic you are going to have to work around. I am a buyer who occasionally tries to sell a couple of things to get a little money back for what I find. shrug If that means undercutting someone who had a carefully set up scheme of some kind that took them weeks to figure out, I’m sorry. I’m just playing.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

This game was made so that everyone can enjoy it. Casual players are no more important than Hardcore players. So why would Anet design a mechanic that punishes the Hardcore players with TP selling wait times?

So back to the point that I keep repeating. If an item is being sold for less than other of the same type, the cheaper item should be listed first. It doesn’t matter how much less the price is. Less = less.

One can only hope Anet develops a currency that’s less than Copper. Something like a “Shilling”. 10 Shillings = 1 Copper. Oh the undercutting would be glorious!

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Esrever.8613

Esrever.8613

if 100 people 1c undercut then the item is 1s cheaper.

If nobody buys the crap at that price and more people under cut, it mean the item is overpriced.

sllaw eht no nettirw gnihtemos saw ecno ereht

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Grunties.6841

Grunties.6841

A. I am not sure what a “good faith trader” is, but it sounds like someone who does not like being undercut.
B. I will with no remorse undercut to sell my items, if I can stand the loss
C. When the same is done to me, I shrug and move on…it takes longer for my stuff to sell is all
D. People are using bought and/or earned gold and cornering the market on items, are they "good faith traders’? How do I know who is who?

In closing I would say that you should pay a fee if you want to re-list your items, as it works today. You are no more a legitimate or good faith trader because you listed something first, than the person who lists it second or third.

There is definitely a double standard out there…manipulating the market is seen as clever, and undercutting by 1C is what outrages people. Pish posh, I say.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

A. I am not sure what a “good faith trader” is, but it sounds like someone who does not like being undercut.
B. I will with no remorse undercut to sell my items, if I can stand the loss
C. When the same is done to me, I shrug and move on…it takes longer for my stuff to sell is all
D. People are using bought and/or earned gold and cornering the market on items, are they "good faith traders’? How do I know who is who?

In closing I would say that you should pay a fee if you want to re-list your items, as it works today. You are no more a legitimate or good faith trader because you listed something first, than the person who lists it second or third.

There is definitely a double standard out there…manipulating the market is seen as clever, and undercutting by 1C is what outrages people. Pish posh, I say.

+1 to you for this.

People who complain about the 1 copper undercutting don’t understand that 1 copper less, is still less than their price. If they undercut me, I shouldn’t get mad. But it matters little, as my stuff gets sold either way.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Risingashes.8694

Risingashes.8694

People who complain about the 1 copper undercutting don’t understand that 1 copper less, is still less than their price.

You keep saying less, less, less, cheaper, cheaper, cheaper, as if we all don’t understand what you’re saying.

No one is saying that 1c less isn’t technically less than 1c more. That’s a fact, we’d be insane to state otherwise.

The point is that 1c less is such a small proportion less that it’s effectively nothing.

The buyer certainly doesn’t noticeably benefit from it, and the undercutter certainly isn’t noticeably disadvantaged by it.

It turns what should be the benefit of competition (lower prices, increased supply) in to a duopoly like situation, where price drops only occur sporadically and only when price setters obtain items and then list them.

A healthy system should require that people actually compete with other sellers in order to gain an advantage over them. The current system does not have such a requirement.

Undercutting is not the problem, competition is not the problem. 1c undercutting is the problem, as it provides a benefit to the 1c undercutter at no real cost, to the detriment of the buyer who isn’t benefiting from competition, and the original seller who has to wait longer for their item to be sold when their price was clearly reasonable to whoever bought the 1c undercut item.

You also keep telling us ‘smart’ strategies for dealing with 1c undercutting, all of which essentially sum up to “1c undercut also”, we are not idiots. The majority of people know how to 1c undercut, and most likely do. The difference is that we recognise that we’re simply screwing over both the buyers and the guy who was unlucky enough to waste their 5% posting chronologically before us. We believe people should actually need to compete in a market economy, not just exploit a design oversight to get a costless advantage.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Esrever.8613

^ completely pointless post

1c undercut just means very little. People can put buy offers at w/e price they want.

If an item can be sold at a relative price, it will be. 1c undercutting isn’t going to change it. If a seller wants it to sell, he can lower the price by 20%, it will sell much faster.

your logic is fail.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Umbra Unu.4260

Umbra Unu.4260

The point is that 1c less is such a small proportion less that it’s effectively nothing.

Small =/= nothing.

Undercutting is not the problem, competition is not the problem. 1c undercutting is the problem, as it provides a benefit to the 1c undercutter at no real cost

Wait, what?

I’m starting to think you are intentionally pretending to not get this very simple concept.

1c>0c. Problem solved, now go cry about something else.

omniscient omnipotent omnipresent without judgement

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

Undercutting is not the problem, competition is not the problem. 1c undercutting is the problem, as it provides a benefit to the 1c undercutter at no real cost, to the detriment of the buyer who isn’t benefiting from competition, and the original seller who has to wait longer for their item to be sold when their price was clearly reasonable to whoever bought the 1c undercut item.

It isn’t clearly reasonable in a lot of cases. People buy unreasonably priced items when they have no other means of getting an item or because they’re spendthrifts. So, if the guy who buys stuff that is reasonably priced and re-lists it at unreasonable prices – effectively gating that content off from a bunch of people and extorting money from others – gets buried behind a bunch of 1c undercutting while someone else picks up the few desperate buyers and spendthrifts, that is a good thing. It dissuades people from trying to corner the market on something and price gouging.

Again, everyone that plays the game uses one Trading Post. If your item sits because of 1c difference, it is overpriced.

(edited by Thelgar.7214)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: kenshinakh.3672

kenshinakh.3672

I don’t really see undercutting by 1c as an issue.

Imagine this scenario:
You’re a super rich dude with 200 of one mat. You can literally play the market and for some reason you decided to put all of your mat on the market. Now, if people couldn’t undercut by 1c, how can they expect to sell out against the amount you have on the market? Let’s say you’re just a person trying to make a quick sale and you want to put up 10 or so. Undercutting by 1c lets you make what you want quickly.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: gimmethegepgun.1284

gimmethegepgun.1284

Imagine this scenario:
You’re a super rich dude with 200 of one mat. You can literally play the market and for some reason you decided to put all of your mat on the market. Now, if people couldn’t undercut by 1c, how can they expect to sell out against the amount you have on the market? Let’s say you’re just a person trying to make a quick sale and you want to put up 10 or so. Undercutting by 1c lets you make what you want quickly.

And why does someone deserve to sell something quickly when they don’t even noticeably change their price?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

I don’t understand all the complaints. Undercutting can’t possibly be a problem, since 1 copper less than the current price is still less. And if it’s less, it sells first.

Can someone explain to me why selling for less is a bad thing? Am I suppose to sell my items for more than the current price, so others won’t get mad at me? If that’s true, then everything I learned to get my Business degree has been wrong.

in Black Lion Trading Co

gimmethegepgun.1284

I don’t understand all the complaints. Undercutting can’t possibly be a problem, since 1 copper less than the current price is still less. And if it’s less, it sells first.

Can someone explain to me why selling for less is a bad thing? Am I suppose to sell my items for more than the current price, so others won’t get mad at me? If that’s true, then everything I learned to get my Business degree has been wrong.

If someone loses 1 gram should they then shout to the world how awesome it is that they lost weight?
Because selling something first when it’s priced .01% less (and that’s just a lodestone, think .0001% for a precursor) than the previous one is pretty much that.
Yes, it is less, but it is so utterly, fantastically, insignificant of a difference that it doesn’t matter to absolutely anyone involved.
Except they go first.
Maybe they should just reinstate the actual LIFO system that it was running under due to a bug? For anything remotely expensive it’s practically the same thing.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Umbra Unu.4260

Umbra Unu.4260

Yes, it is less, but it is so utterly, fantastically, insignificant of a difference that it doesn’t matter to absolutely anyone involved.

And suddenly you speak for absolutely everyone? How do you know what and how much matters for ABSOLUTELY ANYONE INVOLVED?

I am genuinely amazed that logic and common sense utterly elude you.

omniscient omnipotent omnipresent without judgement

(edited by Umbra Unu.4260)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Thaark.8064

Thaark.8064

First the 1c undercutting “problem” isn’t one for items that are in really high demand. It is only a problem for high cost and low demand items.

But for legendary for example there are still very few people that have the kind of cash allowing them to buy one. So I don’t understand why people trying to sell one put them on the TP I wouldn’t go like this at all.

Op used dawn at 400g20s2c as an example, the player putting this offer add to pay the 5% taxe just to put out the offer, and will have to loose another 10% when someone buys it not knowing when this will happen and the risk of being constantly undercutted by 1C is always here.

Why not simply put a message on fan forums telling that you are selling dawn for example monday at noon server time provided the asking price is no less than 400G.
You potential clients would be the ones having to put their announcement on the TP with no fee anyway so that wouldn’t matter to them.

And as the end time appoaches their will be client trying to overcut other ones by 1 or 2 copper but it will be in your advantage.

When the time come you sell to the highest bidder even if another player had the same legendary to sell at most you would loose a few copper (plus the taxes from TP but that will always be the case)

Worst case scenario : noone bid above your starting price either you were too greedy or you didn’t advertise enough since you announced your starting bid in advance you don’t sell right no, ré evaluate your item and make more advertisement for the next week.

Easy to do (even if it is a little time consuming but people selling legendarys don’t lack this I think) and no more undercutting problems.

in Black Lion Trading Co

gimmethegepgun.1284

And suddenly you speak for absolutely everyone? How do you know what and how much matters for ABSOLUTELY ANYONE INVOLVED?

I am genuinely amazed that logic and common sense utterly elude you.

When was the last time 1c mattered to you?
About level 5, on your first character?
Once you had a gold or so, how much effort would you be willing to put forth to earn 1c?

Besides, the very fact that everyone undercuts by 1c on everything but cheap, bulk items, and does so in long chains, where everyone cuts by another 1c, shows how little people give a kitten about it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: kenshinakh.3672

kenshinakh.3672

Imagine this scenario:

And why does someone deserve to sell something quickly when they don’t even noticeably change their price?

It’s not a matter of deserving or not. It just helps prevent excessive market control to one player who has too much mats at once. It makes the sellers not bulk sell at the risk of others undercutting. It also gives a chance to those people who are undercutting to get rid of some mats quickly. In most a lot of items I see selling, there’s usually someone selling huge stacks, like 200-300 items at once. Then below those guys, you get like 1-50 items that try undercutting. They get their things sold pretty quickly and eventually people fall back to the person with the bulk items. But people still undercut throughout the day, and they get their things sold instead of competing with the bulk seller.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Astraea.6075

Astraea.6075

If I’m attempting to sell 1000 of a particular item, then undercutting by 1c costs me 10s out of my potential returns.

While I will occasionally undercut by more than 1c on more expensive items, I don’t think there should be a minimum undercut value for high value or low demand items.

in Black Lion Trading Co

gimmethegepgun.1284

Imagine this scenario:

It’s not a matter of deserving or not. It just helps prevent excessive market control to one player who has too much mats at once. It makes the sellers not bulk sell at the risk of others undercutting. It also gives a chance to those people who are undercutting to get rid of some mats quickly. In most a lot of items I see selling, there’s usually someone selling huge stacks, like 200-300 items at once. Then below those guys, you get like 1-50 items that try undercutting. They get their things sold pretty quickly and eventually people fall back to the person with the bulk items. But people still undercut throughout the day, and they get their things sold instead of competing with the bulk seller.

If people want to get quick money instead of waiting behind someone who spent the time or money to get a lot of them, they can always sell to a buy order.
Which is quite likely the person selling in bulk :P

Why should the other people be selling before the bulk seller anyway?
Were they there before him? No.
Are they making the price lower in any significant way? No.
So why should they go first?
Unless it’s a relatively cheap item, like Copper Ore, that’s needed in bulk, in which case 1c is actually a relevant difference.

If I’m attempting to sell 1000 of a particular item, then undercutting by 1c costs me 10s out of my potential returns.

While I will occasionally undercut by more than 1c on more expensive items, I don’t think there should be a minimum undercut value for high value or low demand items.

And how much is that 1000 worth overall? If it’s something cheap then it was actually significant enough to matter, so you just took a large chunk of your profit away to sell it faster.
If it was something somewhat expensive, like 5s each, then 10s (or, rather, 8s50c after fees) is a pittance, a measly 0.2%.

And a high value item is where the problem is the MOST obvious. They don’t sell all that quickly, and someone can just completely ignore the queue with a nonexistently small undercut and make the next person wait who knows how long for the next one, assuming another one doesn’t come along and jump the queue without paying for it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

The significance of the price doesn’t matter. If I were to offer Mithril Ore for 49 copper over someone else’s 50 copper price, or if I offered Dawn for 1999g 99s 99cp over someone else’s 2000g price, it’s all the same. All that matter is that 1 copper less than the current price is less, so it gets sold first.

I just can’t understand how people can argue that 1 copper less can be good and bad in different situations. 1 copper = 1 copper.

in Black Lion Trading Co

gimmethegepgun.1284

The significance of the price doesn’t matter. If I were to offer Mithril Ore for 49 copper over someone else’s 50 copper price, or if I offered Dawn for 1999g 99s 99cp over someone else’s 2000g price, it’s all the same. All that matter is that 1 copper less than the current price is less, so it gets sold first.

I just can’t understand how people can argue that 1 copper less can be good and bad in different situations. 1 copper = 1 copper.

If you went to business school and don’t understand significance you should demand your money back.
Significance is everything.
If you gave a dollar to Bill Gates, would he care? No, because a dollar is completely insignificant to him.
If you gave a dollar to a homeless man, would he care? Yes, because that’s the better part of a meal, which is significant to him.
How hard would Bill Gates work to get a dollar? He wouldn’t bother because it’s insignificant compared to his billions.
How hard would a homeless man work for a dollar? He’d scrounge up cans at $0.05 each to get it, because a dollar actually means something to him.

If 2 people were haggling on a price, would anything above maybe $200 ever have negotiations fail over the difference of $1? No. At that point a dollar is insignificant compared to the total price.
Now if the price range was single digits, $1 is a significant difference in price, and could break down over it.

How insignificant is a penny? Companies price things at 1 penny less than the value they want for it ($19.99 rather than $20.00) because the value of that penny is so minor that the fact that a person momentarily processes that as $19 rather than $20 is worth more to them than the penny.

1c on 400g is 25% of a percent of a percent OF A PERCENT of a price difference.
That is so far removed from relevance it’s pathetic.

(edited by gimmethegepgun.1284)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

If you went to business school and don’t understand significance you should demand your money back.
If you gave a dollar to Bill Gates, would he care? No, because a dollar is completely insignificant to him.
If you gave a dollar to a homeless man, would he care? Yes, because that’s the better part of a meal, which is significant to him.
How hard would Bill Gates work to get a dollar? He wouldn’t bother because it’s insignificant compared to his billions.
How hard would a homeless man work for a dollar? He’d scrounge up cans at $0.05 each to get it, because a dollar actually means something to him.

If 2 people were haggling on a price, would anything above maybe $200 ever have negotiations fail over the difference of $1? No. At that point a dollar is insignificant compared to the total price.
Now if the price range was single digits, $1 is a significant difference in price, and could break down over it.

How insignificant is a penny? Companies price things at 1 penny less than the value they want for it ($19.99 rather than $20.00) because the value of that penny is so minor that the fact that a person momentarily processes that as $19 rather than $20 is worth more to them than the penny.

You keep speaking as if 1 copper is different than 1 copper. It’s the same thing! 1 peso is the same as 1 peso. 1 yen is the same as 1 yen. 1 dollar is the same as 1 dollar. 1 euro is the same as 1 euro. Why is it so hard to understand this?

And in business, profit is profit. Doesn’t matter how large your company is. You fight for every single dollar you can. That’s how you become successful.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Esrever.8613

You keep speaking as if 1 copper is different than 1 copper. It’s the same thing! 1 peso is the same as 1 peso. 1 yen is the same as 1 yen. 1 dollar is the same as 1 dollar. 1 euro is the same as 1 euro. Why is it so hard to understand this?

And in business, profit is profit. Doesn’t matter how large your company is. You fight for every single dollar you can. That’s how you become successful.

people that say 1c undercutting is wrong are probably horrible at business so it won’t sway them with arguments that are logical and useful.

in Black Lion Trading Co

gimmethegepgun.1284

So are you telling me that if you got a $1 billion contract you’d spend the time fighting to make it $1,000,000,001?
Is that $1 worth that much to you?
You’re telling me you wouldn’t say “kitten it, I don’t care, give me my money”?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Esrever.8613

So are you telling me that if you got a $1 billion contract you’d spend the time fighting to make it $1,000,000,001?

if 1 company is giving an extra $1 then you take it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

gimmethegepgun.1284

I’m not saying you’re being handed it I’m asking if you’d care enough to bother fighting for it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

A change in the rules is nothing more than a change in the rules – it will help some people and hurt others.

At this point there ain’t a lot of sympathy out there for the folks this propossed change would help: those people who priced higher than the market will bear in the time it takes for the next trader with the exact same product to come along.

If you are so concerned about being undercut by a penny, stick to goods that move in high volume… or price so yours is SOLD before that evil, evil 1c bandit shows up to claim the front of the line for your niche.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Black Lion Trading Co

gimmethegepgun.1284

A change in the rules is nothing more than a change in the rules – it will help some people and hurt others.

At this point there ain’t a lot of sympathy out there for the folks this propossed change would help: those people who priced higher than the market will bear in the time it takes for the next trader with the exact same product to come along.

If you are so concerned about being undercut by a penny, stick to goods that move in high volume… or price so yours is SOLD before that evil, evil 1c bandit shows up to claim the front of the line for your niche.

You realize that if the item is completely overpriced for what the market will bear, undercutting by 1c doesn’t change that fact at all, and in fact makes it stagnate at that overpriced level.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Esrever.8613

I’m not saying you’re being handed it I’m asking if you’d care enough to bother fighting for it.

you aren’t fighting for it. you are a prospect buyer and you would buy the cheapest product on the market.

If your seller puts up a bad quote for his items in real life. You might end up without a sale just as in game. If the seller changes the quote, it involves a lot of paperwork and salaries which are consistent with the TP Tax for putting it up for sale again.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Esrever.8613

You realize that if the item is completely overpriced for what the market will bear, undercutting by 1c doesn’t change that fact at all, and in fact makes it stagnate at that overpriced level.

And people who sell at that price are just misinformed and they deserve getting their item stuck for not doing enough research unless they want to re list it at a cost.

in Black Lion Trading Co

gimmethegepgun.1284

you aren’t fighting for it. you are a prospect buyer and you would buy the cheapest product on the market.

If your seller puts up a bad quote for his items in real life. You might end up without a sale just as in game. If the seller changes the quote, it involves a lot of paperwork and salaries which are consistent with the TP Tax for putting it up for sale again.

You’re paying the salary regardless of whether or not they relist it. It doesn’t increase just because of the relisting.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Esrever.8613

You’re paying the salary regardless of whether or not they relist it. It doesn’t increase just because of the relisting.

overtime and such because you aren’t forcasted to have done this. Also any time something drastic changes like this, it could delay your business which would this lose you money.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

I do realize it. And it gives me not insignificant pleasure to watch the 1c-but-still-too-baby-cat-much seller waste his listing fees as much as the first guy who can’t seem to sell his goods. I am perfectly happy to watch 10 or 15 would-be sharks get dunked in a round of 1c downsmanship when the price the market will bear isn’t 15c lower, but more like 10s or 10g lower.

The current system allows for finesse – the potential to correctly judge when volume is low but the price is acceptible vs. when the price is hair-ball crazy and needs to be slashed substantially to see any movement.

The Rules don’t need to take away people’s ability to make that judgement.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Black Lion Trading Co

gimmethegepgun.1284

overtime and such because you aren’t forcasted to have done this. Also any time something drastic changes like this, it could delay your business which would this lose you money.

The delay would already be involved if you implemented that ability here since you’d have to go through the trouble of modifying everything yourself anyway.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Esrever.8613

The delay would already be involved if you implemented that ability here since you’d have to go through the trouble of modifying everything yourself anyway.

I don’t even know what you are arguing with that point.

in Black Lion Trading Co

gimmethegepgun.1284

“You might end up without a sale just as in game. If the seller changes the quote, it involves a lot of paperwork and salaries which are consistent with the TP Tax for putting it up for sale again. "
Oh uh I thought you were arguing against implementing something that lets you relist lower for free or something with that line :/

in Black Lion Trading Co

Esrever.8613

“You might end up without a sale just as in game. If the seller changes the quote, it involves a lot of paperwork and salaries which are consistent with the TP Tax for putting it up for sale again. "
Oh uh I thought you were arguing against implementing something that lets you relist lower for free or something with that line :/

thats the system right now. You can take the item out of tp and relist it for a 5% tax.

in Black Lion Trading Co

gimmethegepgun.1284

thats the system right now. You can take the item out of tp and relist it for a 5% tax.

I said free. As in, without having to pay the fee again, lower your price.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

I vote we end this back and forth dispute. We all agree that 1 copper less than the current price is less. And if it’s less, it sells first. There is no such thing as appropriate percentage based competitions.

And because there are some who can’t understand this, allow me to post an example:

Question – Which item is being sold for less?

Item A – Ecto for 15 silver
Item B – Ecto for 14 silver 99 copper
Item C – Ecto for 14 silver 98 copper

Answer – Item C

in Black Lion Trading Co

gimmethegepgun.1284

I vote we end this back and forth dispute. We all agree that 1 copper less than the current price is less. And if it’s less, it sells first. There is no such thing as appropriate percentage based competitions.

And because there are some who can’t understand this, allow me to post an example:

Answer – Item C

Yes, completely ignore the point anyone else is making and say everyone agrees on something.
Yes, it’s less. Do I give even the slightest kitten about the pathetically lower price? No.

Here, let me ask you a question: if you were talking to someone in casual conversation and telling them what the price of ectos was in your example, what would you say?
Or how about the price of a car, listed at $14,995?

(edited by gimmethegepgun.1284)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Esrever.8613

Answer – Item C

Yes, completely ignore the point anyone else is making and say everyone agrees on something.
Yes, it’s less. Do I give even the slightest kitten about the pathetically lower price? No.

Here, let me ask you a question: if you were talking to someone in casual conversation and telling them what the price of ectos was in your example, what would you say?

set your price as low as you can in the first place. if people undercut you, you are still going to sell. how hard is it to understand?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mapache.4852

Mapache.4852

Here’s why high spreads are bad. Let’s say there’s an nice level 80 exotic with current 10g bid and 30g. Maybe the consensus price will stabilize at 20g, but it could be anywhere in that 10g to 30g range. Potential sellers are reluctant to post their item for sale, because if they post it at the low end of the range, they’re probably making a lot less money than they could have, and if they post it at the high of the range, they’re probably losing their listing fee on an item that will never sell. Let’s say that there’s ten sellers per day willing to post under those circumstances. If they keep undercutting the high price by 1c, then it’ll take 10,000 days, which is 27 years, for the ask price to move down to our hypothetical consensus of 20g.

If instead those ten sellers per day needed to undercut by, say, 10s on an item in the 20g-30g range, then the ask prices will converge in 10 days. The closer the bid and ask get, the more willing potential buyers and sellers will be to engage with the market, leading to that “healthy economy” people keep wanting in their MMOs. (You’ll notice that real-world marketplaces like eBay use minimum bid increments that increase as the current price increases, in order to get the price to converge in a reasonable period of time.)

Alternately, think about it from a game-design perspective. Obvious decisions in games are bad. Good decisions are those with consequences. Requiring that people undercut by some minimum margin forces players to choose between selling first and making less money. Letting you undercut by 1c on big-ticket items is an insignificant cost to the seller, so it’s an obvious decision that lets you both sell first and make the same amount of money to within a trivial rounding error.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

Answer – Item C

I don’t understand your examples. The price of Ectos fluctuates, so I can’t say unless I was in game to see it. It can change every second if there is a lot of market activity.

And no one buys a car at the listed price. How did we even get to talking about cars when we’re trying to explain that 1 copper less for an item’s current price is still less?

in Black Lion Trading Co

gimmethegepgun.1284

Answer – Item C

I don’t understand your examples. The price of Ectos fluctuates, so I can’t say unless I was in game to see it. It can change every second if there is a lot of market activity.

And no one buys a car at the listed price. How did we even get to talking about cars when we’re trying to explain that 1 copper less for an item’s current price is still less?

Because I’m trying to prove a point.

Fine then, what would you tell someone the price of a TV priced at $199.99 was?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: BUTTERBLUME.3217

BUTTERBLUME.3217

If I am selling some pricy items, and someone undercuts me, I just undercut him again. To show him how stupid that whole thing is.

I have enough gold to not care about the listing fee, and the gold spent is well worth the pleasure I get out of his rage.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Hendo.4671

Hendo.4671

It’s $200.00. But if you advertise it as $200, and I advertise at $199.99 you will go out of business. Even without undercutting I always take advantage of this when pricing in these tools.

Perception is a very powerful thing.

The 1c undercutting allows prices to reach their “natural” point over time without causing a ship from heaven market crash.

“Right now, if Trahearne were to be ground into mulch in front of me,
I’d offer the one responsible a carafe of balsamic vinaigrette dressing and some croutons.”
— BaireSharque

in Black Lion Trading Co

BUTTERBLUME.3217

It’s $200.00. But if you advertise it as $200, and I advertise at $199.99 you will go out of business. Even without undercutting I always take advantage of this when pricing in these tools.

Perception is a very powerful thing.

The 1c undercutting allows prices to reach their “natural” point over time without causing a ship from heaven market crash.

Nope, because in real life many other factors have to be considered.

If he is selling his 200$ TV’s from a location easier to reach by most people, or if he is an established salesman, trusted by people, you might be the one going out of business.

Perception only works if you do not give people time to think about it. But if you have to make a 10 miles drive to get something 1 $ cheaper, you will not, if you can get it at the store around the corner.

Plus perception is to treat as a complete different thing than undercutting in this game.
Either you are the lowest seller, or you are not.

(edited by BUTTERBLUME.3217)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

If the price of a TV is $199.99, the price of the TV is $199.99. I’m sorry, but I don’t understand what your point is. Did you mean the price is different because of tax, since that’s not included? The problem with your example then is that taxes are different from State to State.

If he is selling his 200$ TV’s from a location easier to reach by most people, or if he is an established salesman, trusted by people, you might be the one going out of business.

Perception only works if you do not give people time to think about it. But if you have to make a 10 miles drive to get something 1 $ cheaper, you will not, if you can get it at the store around the corner.

Plus perception is to treat as a complete different thing than undercutting in this game.

Perception can sway people, but consider this example: Gas 20 miles away is $3.85 per gallon. The gas station one block away is $3.95 per gallon. There are those who would drive that 20 miles to save $0.10 per gallon, but they don’t realize that they are wasting more gas to drive that far.

But this can’t be compared to the Trading Post, as real world examples have different factors. How far is it to the store? How is the traffic? Cost of gas. The need to put on clothes to leave the house. With the TP, none of this factors in. Everyone is on the same level playing field, where all it takes is a click of the mouse to search items available for sale. The only factor in the TP’s case would be if someone wants to take a break from playing in order to look at the market.

Butter is correct, as either you’re the lowest seller or not. It’s a shame that some people don’t understand this.

in Black Lion Trading Co

BUTTERBLUME.3217

If the price of a TV is $199.99, the price of the TV is $199.99. I’m sorry, but I don’t understand what your point is. Did you mean the price is different because of tax, since that’s not included? The problem with your example then is that taxes are different from State to State.

Perception can sway people, but consider this example: Gas 20 miles away is $3.85 per gallon. The gas station one block away is $3.95 per gallon. There are those who would drive that 20 miles to save $0.10 per gallon, but they don’t realize that they are wasting more gas to drive that far.

There are those, but I would not suggest them to be the majority, at least I hope.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Imperatora.7654

Imperatora.7654

if the difference between your price and your price -1c is"nothing" than your price is too high for the item.

If your price was where it should be, then -1c would put it undervalued at which point I’m losing money.

The problem isn’t that people are undercutting you by 1c, the problem is that you are listing items for high enough that they can still undercut you and not lose out. If the utility value of the item is at least as high as your price, then yours WILL sell, and the guy who undercut you will only lose money. If the utility value is NOT at least as high as your price, then your price is too high.

how are supply/demand curves so hard for people to understand… if they intersect your price point, you sell, if they do not, you are overpriced… be it by 1c or 100g, you are still overpriced.