Are gem prices gonna go down?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Legionnaire.1586

Legionnaire.1586

Hey guys, so i was thinking of buying the hair-style kit for 250 gems from the gem store but the prices for gems is ridiculous atm… 20-22g for 250gems. Do you guys think gem prices will go down any time soon? And is it even worth it spending 20-22g for a hair style kit?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lilius.9850

Lilius.9850

gold is deflating every week, so the main trend is that it will cost more and more gold for gems. However there are some days (like thursdays at 8PM PST) where the gold to gem price drops 50s-1g. Check gw2spidy for more accurate results.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

Is it even worth it spending 20-22g for a hair style kit?

• For me, no, it is not worth it. For others it may be. I tend to have a helm visible most of the time on my characters so their hair style isn’t much of a concern to me. For those that I do have the hair visible on (or lack of hair), I am generally happy with my style chosen during creation as I put a lot of thought into each of my characters’ appearances and personalities ahead of time. If I were to role play certain aspects of my characters’ personalities drastically changing with what they have to endure (ex: experiencing the atrocities of war in LA), then I may change their appearances to reflect more of what they’ve gone through if an available style fits that scenario.

- Also, items will be going on sale each day of March. Expect gem prices to rise quite a bit over the course of the month as each new item goes on sale. I recommend converting your gold to gems now before everyone hops onto the conversion train and prices rise. I generally base my gold > gem conversions on how much 800 gems cost (character slot or armor skin set, both I am likely to be interested in picking up). For a while 800 gems was sitting between 55-58g. Then stuff came out and jumped to 68g for 800 gems and it didn’t come back down. As of right now 800 gems is about 63g and rising fast (already up to 64-65g as I am writing this sentence). In 12 hours I wouldn’t be surprised to see it hit 70g (or more) for 800 gems.

My recommendation:
Convert your gems to gold right now as the price will only keep rising as the month goes on due to daily sales being offered and discontinued items being made available again. You will not see gold > gem conversion rates this low again for at least 2 months. If you hang on to the gems you bought today you can likely expect a hairstyle kit to be on sale. If you wait until it goes on sale to buy gems with gold then you will likely end up having to pay 35-40g for the gems instead. Get them now before the rush of converters jumps on it.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

(edited by StinVec.3621)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

You are going to see some impressive spikes during this next month with daily sales. Since we don’t know what is going on sale when, when something desirable hits so many people will rush to convert their gold to gems that it’s quite possible to see the exchange rate be over 10g per 100 gems.

Remember the more gems bought with gold the faster the exchange rate will climb.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Yep. I expect gem prices to spike this month due to the month long sales, especially on days when popular items like bank/bag/character slots, or the Marjory/Kasmeer weapons go on sale.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

Well if Anet would make sale on gems them self I sure we see a drop in price as we would get lot of gems in the game again.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: cranked.3812

cranked.3812

Well if Anet would make sale on gems them self I sure we see a drop in price as we would get lot of gems in the game again.

That will never happen. There is no reason for them ever to do so.

Putting the items in the store on sale is basically the same thing.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

agreed. it is likely gem price will go up this month.
even a 10% sale on gems would increase the price: more people would buy gems with gold, increasing the sale price to the current price, then when the sale ends the gold → gem price would be that 10% higher. then likely drop back to what it was when it started – but not quite back to starting