Beware scammers

Beware scammers

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Sir William PD.9615

Sir William PD.9615

So last night one of my guild members was in Lion’s Arch. He was looking through the trade post at Onyx Lodestone prices as he needs them for his legendary. While scanning the TP, he noticed someone offering to sell them in /map. The player named Deadmaumau was in a guild called GODS and was a Commander. So naturally my guy thought he was legit and could be trusted. What my guild member didn’t realize is that he was in overflow and the GODS guild he was talking to wasn’t the GODS from our server (FA) and this Deadmaumau guy was not from Fort Aspenwood at all. Being tired from a long day and thinking the guy was on the level, he agreed to send 55g to this CMDR in exchange for an amount of Onyx Lodestones.

You can guess what happened next if you’ve ever played MMOs before. The player receiving the money logged off and blocked my guild member. Now, I know…he was a kitten and shouldn’t have done the trade. There’s a trade post for a reason. He was too trusting but he knew that if the deal went south and a GODS player from FA was scamming, we could deal with it diplomatically because we have a good relationship with them. Unfortunately, Arena Net was not sympathetic when he reported it and there is nothing officially they can do (see response).

Quote from Anet email:

I know transactions that take place in the game world often involve a certain element of trust. A player will need to place trust in another player to fulfill his or her end of an agreement. Occasionally a player will go back on an agreement or act in a less-than-honest manner. Such acts are matters over which we have no control of and cannot take corrective measures. If a player does not live up to his or her end of an agreement we are unable to force that player to do so.

This post (if it doesn’t get deleted by mods) is simply meant as a warning to people who do trades outside of the trade post. Do so at your own risk.

Edited my mod: Name of the character deleted

-Thoryn Stormbrew, Dolyak Slayer
Purple Dragons – Fort Aspenwood
www.purpledragons.net

(edited by Moderator)

Beware scammers

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: warblah.6543

warblah.6543

interesting, google that name and it seems it’s not the first time that guy has scammed people, and obviously he was not banned for it.

Beware scammers

in Black Lion Trading Co

Sir William PD.9615

Wow, interesting find!

I find two things disturbing about it. One, he’s a serial offender and two, the response we got from Anet is a canned response (see page 2 of this link)

http://www.alienwarearena.com/forums/topic/31993/guild-wars-2/what-a-sad-day-i-got-scammed-/

www.purpledragons.net

Beware scammers

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: rozcinana.7249

rozcinana.7249

Yeah, people should obviously know better than to trade with anyone they don’t know and trust. What concerns me is if nothing happens to serial offenders like this guy, it’s only going to encourage other people to start.

Beware scammers

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Charismatic Harm.9683

Charismatic Harm.9683

This person is only a serial offender because people continue to give him money.

ArenaNet has stated MANY times that the ONLY supported means of trading is through the Black Lion Trading Company.

I do not feel sorry for anyone that gets scammed this way. Even your best friend….someone you’ve known for years….could do the exact same thing and ANet will do NOTHING about it. They won’t do anything because that form of trading is not supported.

Either use the trading post or gather the items yourself. Those are the only two supported methods of obtaining items in Guild Wars 2.

Guild: Member of Charter Vanguard [CV]
Logic will never win an argument on the forums…..only a sense of entitlement will.

Beware scammers

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Field Marshal.7946

Field Marshal.7946

My god. Why would you fall for this? If a deal sounds too good to be true, it is.

Beware scammers

in Black Lion Trading Co

Sir William PD.9615

I agree 100% that it was a really bad move on my guildmates part to do this. I would never, ever trade with someone I didn’t know. Lesson learned for him for sure. The goal of this post was to make others aware of it so they don’t fall for it as well. Let our misfortune serve as a warning to you all.

www.purpledragons.net

Beware scammers

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

1.) This thread will probably be edited and/or locked for including the supposed offending person’s name. How would you feel if I made another post stating that you scammed me?

Best to remove the person’s name.

2.) Your friend is at fault for being duped. Disappointed this stuff keeps happening

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Beware scammers

in Black Lion Trading Co

Sir William PD.9615

Yeah I know it will get deleted, surprised it lasted this long. If I ever scammed someone I would hope someone would call me out on it.

www.purpledragons.net

Beware scammers

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

I’ve successfully traded someone, but under far different circumstances. basically, we were running fractals together, I exclaimed that I found a destroyer core, he said that he was collecting them for a legendary and could he buy it, I named a price that was a little below TP value, he agreed and we both sent it. went smoothly, but I would never recommend it. I only did it because I knew I could afford to lose it if he reneged.

Beware scammers

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Shadowsong.1560

Shadowsong.1560

This is kind of sad for me to hear. I don’t expect ANet to compensate any losses due to transactions such as these, but if someone is a serial scammer, they should weed someone such as this from the community.

By allowing scammers to run free in the community without consequences, they are encourage new aspiring scammers to view this as a brand (& legit) new way of making gold ingame.

It shocks me that they will ban people who’d kick people out at the end of the dungeons because of their appalling behavior, but not do the same for scammers.

Beware scammers

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

This is kind of sad for me to hear. I don’t expect ANet to compensate any losses due to transactions such as these, but if someone is a serial scammer, they should weed someone such as this from the community.

By allowing scammers to run free in the community without consequences, they are encourage new aspiring scammers to view this as a brand (& legit) new way of making gold ingame.

It shocks me that they will ban people who’d kick people out at the end of the dungeons because of their appalling behavior, but not do the same for scammers.

There is in fact a “Scamming” category for reporting people. If this sort of thing happens then they should be reporting through that rather than forum posts.

Since being wary of scams is the subject of this thread, why is this coming from a third party?

Beware scammers

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Call Me A Legend.4109

Call Me A Legend.4109

This is really not surprising. Deadmaumau scammed me for 50g (was buying mystic coins off of him for legendary). I am surprised that he has so many offenses and anet does not care. I got 30-50 members of my guild to report him also. I hope they do something about this :/

Beware scammers

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

Never buy in big stacks. If you’re going to do these kind of trades, ALWAYS ALWAYS buy in small portions. e.g 10 ectos at a time. Seriously, it may be more time consuming but it’s worth it. If that guy says no, then you just saved yourself from being scammed.

Beware scammers

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: fractalKinesis.8569

fractalKinesis.8569

Well, now you know how he got commander.

Xiro, High Five Warriors [HFW], Jade Quarry

Beware scammers

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: TheAltarBoy.3176

TheAltarBoy.3176

Add me to the list of people scammed by him. Reported him in game so hopefully they GMs will finally do something about it.

At least I’m onyl out 6 gold.

Beware scammers

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Firegoth.6427

Firegoth.6427

Still more ethical than flipping precursors.

1+1 = potato

Beware scammers

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Olfinbedwere.5049

Olfinbedwere.5049

If you control a guild you could probably set up a trade through the guild stash/trove a little more safely, if your trove is empty. Could give them permission to deposit into the stash and withdraw from the trove. As they put the items in the stash you deposit the money in the trove, maybe.

Edit: or have a third party guild leader that’s willing to set it up for you, giving permission to you both permission to only deposit in seperate stash/trove then flipping the permissions for you both to withdraw from the trove/stash when the trade is fulfilled. Someone could probably design a guild around this and make a nice trustworthy rep for themselves.

Maybe ask for a 1% commission

(edited by Olfinbedwere.5049)

Beware scammers

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: mcooper.9785

mcooper.9785

HAHAHA, he scammed me a month ago too!!!! On anvil rock he was in map saying hes trading for cheap, and first he said he had 250 ectos for 45 gold and I thought it was a steal so I went for it. I first told him ill give you five gold to trust him, then for the full. He never sent me anything after the first 10 ectos. I want to kill him to this day.

Beware scammers

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wolfgang Michael.8217

Wolfgang Michael.8217

Anet can’t do anything. They can’t even refund gold if the BLTP glitched and you expect this. Muhahahha.

Beware scammers

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lysico.4906

Lysico.4906

Why ban him though? Anet has said 100 times that you must use the trading post. They are not going to police the community if you go outside of this.

As players we were warned and scammed players ADMIT they should not have done it, and yet do it.

You know the risk, so don’t do it. Not up to Anet to police it. Up to us a players to you know, use common sense and the safe tools provide to us.

Like calling the cops because someone did not give you the drugs you paid someone for.

Beware scammers

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Danicco.3568

Danicco.3568

Although it’s not drugs we’re talking about. It’s general goods.

I thought I read a long time ago that ANet would do something if you reported a scam (there was a thread about this in the first month the game launched) so I thought it was a safe trade…

What is most annoying is that not only hurts player’s trust, but also those who are really trying to sell something outside the TP to avoid the (abusive) taxes.
But well, they think they do need these absurds amount of gold sinks… in the end we just have to grind even more -_-

Beware scammers

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: uflyandy.6392

uflyandy.6392

I’m one of the commanders here in maguuma man and one of the senior guys. Dead belonged to a good friend of mines guild and he was an issue from what I hear and I heard his name more then once. I say you get your guilds to mass report him for what he’s doing. Not only has he scammed players but he’s a major troll. I personally have not had an issue but I don’t want anyone to ruin the community we are all building.

Title: Commander and Leader of [GOA] Legion Alliance [Maguuma]Name: Promethieus

Beware scammers

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: TheAltarBoy.3176

TheAltarBoy.3176

Why ban him though? Anet has said 100 times that you must use the trading post. They are not going to police the community if you go outside of this.

As players we were warned and scammed players ADMIT they should not have done it, and yet do it.

You know the risk, so don’t do it. Not up to Anet to police it. Up to us a players to you know, use common sense and the safe tools provide to us.

Like calling the cops because someone did not give you the drugs you paid someone for.

Then why have a “Scamming” option in the report window?

It’s also nothing like calling the cops because someone didn’t give you drugs, drugs are illegal.

It’s more similar to paying a store or person through paypal to send you items that they never send.

Beware scammers

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: CC Eva.6742

CC Eva.6742

Community Coordinator

Hello everyone.

Thank you for all your contributions up to this point. However, since the situation was explained by our staff in the OP, there is not much else that we or this thread can do. We would also take the opportunity to remind you not to post publicly names of players as this can be taken as a case of character assassination. In-game violations should be reported directly to our Support Team instead.

Thanks for your understanding.