Buying Gems today.What to get?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: BabylonianSavage.7534

BabylonianSavage.7534

Hello.I am new to GW2 and I wanna start my journey in Tyria right.
That said I’m investing in some gems today but I would like to know what are the most recommended uses for them.Big ticket items etc etc.My intention is to sell abit of it to have a decent cash count.
Thanks for assisting a noob!

Stranger to the Lands of Tyria.
-Grimalkin Tor: Asura Engineer.Tarnished Coast

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

We’ll need to know a bit more about your playstyle.

For example, are you a player that enjoys open-world farming and getting tons of loot? Extra bag space is required.

Do you like to create tons of alts? Extra character slots is a vital (although I suggest doing this after you fill the available 5 slots)

Do you like to hoard items for no reason whatsoever? Consider extra bank space

Also note that you can convert your gems to gold, so if you are impatient and want to wear that nice weapon on the TP, you can go that route. But if you want the best bang for your buck, you should pay attention to the exchange rates and conduct the transaction at the best available time.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Once you’ve spent on some inventory space (truly the most useful thing you can ever get, sayeth me the Pack Rat), you might want to spend on looks. Check out the armor sets available in the Style tab. Not “outfits,” unless you like the entire look of the outfit, as you can’t mix pieces of it with other garb. (Though the outfit is account wide and free to swap to on any alt any time, but if you have more than one outfit be warned changing which one is active on the alt will wipe your dye choices). The armor will look a bit funky and dull thanks to the preview brown dye.

Some will tell you to wait on special appearances until you are 80 as it’s become significantly more expensive to swap looks around as you level. It all depends on how many gems you feel like flinging at cosmetics.

Avoid the boosters, black lion chests, dye packs, etc. You will get boosters over time from various sources and they aren’t that useful in general. They can’t be, as there is no pay-to-win in this game’s philosophy. The chests miiight have a ‘big ticket" item in them but mostly you’ll be spending money on lottery tickets with a low chance of payout. You can get many dyes for not much coin on the TP and start hunting the pricier ones later.

in Black Lion Trading Co

BabylonianSavage.7534

Thanks for suggestions. I’m a looter, hoarded, costume fanatic (I rp.) But I also like to give myself an advantage in pve and love yo play the trademarket.Before this I was a vet in Swtor.Where I was f2p and over time earned and got everything subs have.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I would suggest additional bank tabs, and perhaps a couple of collection expanders (if you do a lot of gathering)

I also recommend at least one set of the infinite tools when they come around again, saves on having to lug multiple sets of gathering tools.

If you aren’t an alt fanatic, then extra character slots probably aren’t a big deal. Although, perhaps having at least 1 free / extra slot to use for trans charge farming might be a good idea. As most rpers tend to change their clothes a lot, you’re going to want a semi-quick means of obtaining more trans charges, and mapping cities on a new character is decent for that.

Some of the armor sets for gems are pretty decent, as are some of the outfits. I think they are worth their gem investment.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

in Black Lion Trading Co

BabylonianSavage.7534

When you say trans charge farming what do you mean

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

You need trans(formation) charges to change skins on equipment into skins you’ve unlocked. If you like to play dress up and change appearance often, you’ll need lots of those charges. You can buy them in the gem store, or farm them by completing city maps (uncovering all map markers). That gives you a guaranteed transformation charge, but you can only do a map once on each character. That’s why you need to keep a character slot free for ‘disposable’ characters if you want to farm for transformation charges that way.

Edit: if you want to get more out of your gems, you could consider holding on to them until the things you want are discounted in the shop. Things like extra bank storage and extra character slots have been at -20% for short periods of time every few months. If you don’t need a character slot or extra storage now, but think you might want them in the future, you can save hundreds of gems by waiting for the right time.

(edited by Manasa Devi.7958)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: RainbowSyrup.4130

RainbowSyrup.4130

Don’t spend them yet, wait until the patch hits in case it adds something that you want. The gemstore updates every tuesday. I’d suggest getting a Salvage-o-Matic and a couple of bank tabs though. Maybe some infinite gathering tools if you think the convenience is worth it. Bag slots are good too if you mainly play one character, it can be a bit expensive to upgrade bag slots on all your characters.

Salvage-o-Matic and a couple of bank tabs are the first things I would invest in though.

’’I’m sad hanar can’t wear sweaters’’
-Grunt

(edited by RainbowSyrup.4130)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Bank tabs are never bad .. Skins i would maybe wait till 80 .. or if you like one of the
Outfits buy that .. since you don’t need to transmute that each time you get new gear.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Domino.1359

Domino.1359

Resource tools and outfits/skins that are limited time items.

Every time I pass up a limited-time skin, I royally regret it after a month when I’m looking through my bank tab playing dress up. Same goes for the tools, regret.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nibelung.1407

Nibelung.1407

I would go for the Digital Upgrade, Salvage-o-matic, and both home nodes (ore and lumber) as the first buy. They are decent quality-of-life stuff to keep around, and not that expensive.

At least one set of infinite gathering tools also is great, but they are not always available to buy (currently, they aren’t).

Extra inventory slots, characters, bank space, and extra ingredient bank stacks are all great, but may be expensive. Pay for it after you have the essential stuff.

Everything else is cosmetic or lottery.

I also don’t advise on buying dyes, boosts or transmutation charges. Those come easily in-game, or are cheap at the TP.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Gaebriel.3754

Gaebriel.3754

I see the salvage-o-matic, home instance nodes, collection expander and infinite tools as quite unnecessary and expensive. It’s convenient enough to just buy salvage kits/tools when you come across a merchant while leveling, or gather the materials from the ore nodes in the low level zones. For me, the best (and only!) buys are the cosmetic gear sets and outfits, character slots, rarely transmutation charges and bank tabs. Especially since you mention you roleplay, you might like to have a nice variety of looks to choose from.

The gear sets unlock in your wardrobe once bought, though they require charges (but you can transmute each piece once for free). The outfits are a kitteneaper, but can only be used as a whole and toggled on/off in your outfit slot. They do have four dye channels and you can disable the helm/hood, however.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

home instance nodes is the worse thing ever – dont buy this – just go out a town and you find this trees everywhere for free

things to spend your first gems on:
1. Characterslots (atleast 3 more so you can have all 8 classes and is nice to make them early cause after a year they get birthday presents from arenanet)
2. BAGslots atleast on your main up to 8 slots
3. Bankslots

all other stuff you dont need rly

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: rojak.1894

rojak.1894

- Salvage-o-Matic, great for keeping your bags from filling when farming/trains.
- Bank Tab
- Watchwork Pick, gives extra sprockets
- Ore Node, good with Watchwork Pick
- Spare character slot if you keyrun or need to farm transmutation charges

I would avoid these: minis, trans charges, bl chests / salvage kit, other infinite gathering tools since 1000 gems is about100g now, cheaper to get the perma merchant off tp.