Buying "The End Game."

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I have one real question here:

TP should be there just to fasten things up when you have little left to get… Not to buy the majority if not all of it.

Why not?

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

I have one real question here:

TP should be there just to fasten things up when you have little left to get… Not to buy the majority if not all of it.

Why not?

Because then all their podcast and blog about Legendary crafting will be pure marketing lies and a lot of players that feel they already completed the game may as well just quit cause all there is left is farming/grinding/gold digging (unless they really like that).

A lot of us came here to avoid another grind fest and were seduced by the idea of a new MMO whith horizontal progression, exploring, etc… we end up having no real sense of progression and stacking gold as an endgame mechanic.

That is why TP shouldn’t play such a big role in the make of Legendaries. “End Game” placed on the TP… and we are back at the OP post

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Rising Dusk.2408

You expected a game where you didn’t have to use currency to buy items from other players? I’m totally surprised that you bought a game without knowing what you were getting into, because I would personally never do that.

Furthermore, exploring and horizontal progression are all there already either way; you seem to be assuming that the legendary is the only thing you can work towards, which is absolutely wrong. Plenty of players enjoy the game and never think about a legendary because of exactly what you said: it’s not for them and they don’t care for the price tag.

My best advice is to move on; judging from your posts, a legendary really doesn’t seem like a good fit for you.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Mesket.5728

You expected a game where you didn’t have to use currency to buy items from other players? I’m totally surprised that you bought a game without knowing what you were getting into, because I would personally never do that.

Ok,… it seems I have to explain everything in slow-mo for you. I-DID-BUY-ITEMS-FOR-OTHER-MEANS-BUT-LEGENDARIES-SHOULD-BE-BEYOND-THAT-SINCE-THEY-ARE-RARE-AND-SPECIAL-AND-NOT-MARKET-MATERIAL. THIS-IS-NOT-MY-IDEA-WAS-SAID-BY-DEVS-IN-POSTS,-PODCASTS,-AND-BLOGS. Clear?

Furthermore, exploring and horizontal progression are all there already either way; you seem to be assuming that the legendary is the only thing you can work towards,.. bla bla bla.

Yes, its the only thing left in the game for me. Everything else is already completed.

My best advice is to move on; judging from your posts, a legendary really doesn’t seem like a good fit for you.

This would mean just quit the game.

(edited by Mesket.5728)

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Charismatic Harm.9683

Charismatic Harm.9683

(this is why the other guy failed to see the game as a whole, some people forget we are under heavy DR when we already have extremely low drop rates, killer mechanic for people who likes to get things their own).

You keep saying that I fail to see the game as a whole, when if you’re talking about DR, then I think it’s you that fails to see the game as a whole.

The only way DR can impact you is if you continually farm the same thing over and over again. You’re CHOOSING to do that and being hamstrung by the DR. If you only did an event once, or ran a dungeon path once, you would have literally 100’s of different things you could do every single day without ever being impacted by DR at all. Also, to not use the Trading Post, you’re limiting you’re options and not using the WHOLE game to your benefit.

Guild: Member of Charter Vanguard [CV]
Logic will never win an argument on the forums…..only a sense of entitlement will.

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Mesket.5728

(this is why the other guy failed to see the game as a whole, some people forget we are under heavy DR when we already have extremely low drop rates, killer mechanic for people who likes to get things their own).

You keep saying that I fail to see the game as a whole, when if you’re talking about DR, then I think it’s you that fails to see the game as a whole.

The only way DR can impact you is if you continually farm the same thing over and over again. You’re CHOOSING to do that and being hamstrung by the DR. If you only did an event once, or ran a dungeon path once, you would have literally 100’s of different things you could do every single day without be impacted by DR at all. Also, to not use the Trading Post, you’re also limiting you’re options and not using the WHOLE game to your benefit.

Being there, but didn’t got the T-Shirt. My luck didn’t cut through.

Sometimes I forget this is the internet and some people need special explaining….

I do use the TP, I don’t want to rely all what is left in the game for me there. How hard is that to understand?

And stop thinking its just me. Open your eyes, there are many posts opened every day because of this.

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Charismatic Harm.9683

I guess the only thing left to do is to jump the fence and tell you how right you are.

You’re right. I take back everything I’ve ever said and nullify all of my previous statements. Your logic is infallible.

Dear ArenaNet,

Please add more ways to get precursors as I want to get a Legendary, but don’t want to pay another player to get one and the RNG to get one is FAR too high. An “easy button” would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Charismatic Harm.9683

Logic will never win an argument on the forums…..only a sense of entitlement will.

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Mesket.5728

I guess the only thing left to do is to jump the fence and tell you how right you are.

You’re right. I take back everything I’ve ever said and nullify all of my previous statements. Your logic is infallible.

Dear ArenaNet,

Please add more ways to get precursors as I want to get a Legendary, but don’t want to pay another player to get one and the RNG to get one is FAR too high. An “easy button” would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Charismatic Harm.9683

You can remove your personal touch from the request but the other part is quite accurate. Besides there is absolutely no challenge to get a Legendary. Gold != Challenge or Hard.

Thanks.

(edited by Mesket.5728)

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

It’s a luxury item guys. Because in a virtual world there are many staple items. How can I live without my virtual milk and virtual gasoline!? Everything in the game is a luxury item, really.

I’m tired of this. I want a second batch of legendaries that require skill to obtain. I’m tired of resing dead legendary holders because they play like they never left lion’s arch or orr.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

It’s a luxury item guys. Because in a virtual world there are many staple items. How can I live without my virtual milk and virtual gasoline!? Everything in the game is a luxury item, really.

Not necessary =/= luxury.

It’s not necessary to drive a car for 20 mins to work, you know, because you can walk there. It’ll just take you 3 hours to get there.

Are cars a necessity? No, but it’s a pretty practical thing to have. But you wouldn’t call it a luxury would you?

Now Ferraris will do the same thing as a cheap used car. It is a luxury, because it gives the same functionality as something much cheaper, but exist as a demonstration of your own wealth. That is why they are a luxury.

This is why legendaries are a luxury, and gear in this game, while not “necessary.” in the strictest sense, is pretty dang practical to have because it affects your functionality.

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: kitanas.3596

kitanas.3596

mesket, your complaint seems to be that legendaries are out of reach. You must have missed the podcast where they first revealed legendaries, because in it, they stated that they expected only 5% of thee playerbase to own a legendary. so it is perfectly reasonable to say that they should be rare, because that is what ANET expected them to be.

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Charismatic Harm.9683

mesket, your complaint seems to be that legendaries are out of reach. You must have missed the podcast where they first revealed legendaries, because in it, they stated that they expected only 5% of thee playerbase to own a legendary. so it is perfectly reasonable to say that they should be rare, because that is what ANET expected them to be.

There’s no arguing with him. Do what I did and just agree with him….because he’s right….just ask him.

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

SteepledHat.1345

Out of curiosity, I looked up the definition of luxury item as used in economics. I’m no economist and have very little interest in the subject. But I can see legendaries as being luxury goods in that sense. But it seems to only remark about the rate of demand increase for an item with regards to the income increase of the buyers. Ah, and it says they, by definition, they can’t be essential services/goods.

If that’s the case then just about everything in the game is a luxury good. Nothing is essential outside of maybe armor and weapons.

I don’t know. Like I said I’m not an economist. To be honest my interest is waning as I write this.

(edited by SteepledHat.1345)

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Mesket.5728

I agree 100% with you. Not even 5%; in my personal opinion only 1% should be able to get them… sadly is that this “rare” is less rare than you think since anyone can get one playing one handed.

My point is that those items (unfortunatly the only goal left for many people); are heavily attached to how much gold you can produce. This is what I find unfair, or not quite right. Scavenging hunt might as well be a solution or at least diminish “the harm” done. I just hope they don’t take too much to implement it.

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: nicbet.1820

nicbet.1820

My point is that those items (unfortunatly the only goal left for many people); are heavily attached to how much gold you can produce.

It’s pretty much the only “goal” you have once you ding 80. And since it’s so heavily gold based AND you are competing with millions of other players over that gold, we see the effects in a more and more detrimental marketplace and economy.

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

judging from your posts, a legendary really doesn’t seem like a good fit for you.

As you said yourself, it’s not for players (i.e. you) to presume what the legendary should be.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Rising Dusk.2408

That said nothing about the legendary, rather it was a suggestion to the player based on the preferences he listed.

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Svarty.8019

That said nothing about the legendary, rather it was a suggestion to the player based on the preferences he listed.

Yes it did. You presumed to know whether or not the Legendary was or was not suitable for that person, thus judging what the Legendary should or should not be.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I agree 100% with you. Not even 5%; in my personal opinion only 1% should be able to get them… sadly is that this “rare” is less rare than you think since anyone can get one playing one handed.

My point is that those items (unfortunatly the only goal left for many people); are heavily attached to how much gold you can produce. This is what I find unfair, or not quite right. Scavenging hunt might as well be a solution or at least diminish “the harm” done. I just hope they don’t take too much to implement it.

Sorry, I’m trying to understand something here. You’re OK with something being so rare that only 1% should get it, but not OK if you aren’t a part of than 1%?

And Legendary weapons only cost 100 Gold. The rest of the components can be farmed or earned from the Forge. So it’s not as heavily influenced by how much Gold you can produce.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: The Sixteenth.2561

The Sixteenth.2561

Ok, i see 3 ways of thinking when you say buy the end game :

• Any morron with enought gold got in any way can get a legendary. Well, even if the legendary wasn’t sellable you could buy it but the gift of exploration which can be done under a week for half casual(4h a day). And if you complain about the fact that you can buy the precursor, it’s like complaining why work when you can play lottery. You want it as a reward of a very hard solo quest ? how about my support necro ? I make most dungeons way easier, play as a team even if they are just pick up, I try to dispell, buff and heal allies, tank, debuff and put max stack of vulnerability to the boss. But if you ask me to solo anything, just no, i like to play with other people, that’s what MMO are for. Elite mission ? why not, rewarding precursor ? absolutly not. I could just pay a group to rush me, no honor, diminishing even more the value of it.
  • Only gold farming/flipping/gold buying can make you a lengendary. Well, I don’t farm but i get a nice 10g a day by playing the game, some dungeon for fun like arah, Cof Coe Ta, not all path just some i like, arah 1 cof 2&3 coe all ta 1 (not all in one day, I play only around 4h or less a day). I do some fractal either to help or to try my luck on a fractal weapon once or twice every now and then, a bit of WvW for fun, PvP to get some glory to move to rank 80 nice and slow. I can buy it in a year, so what ? I play to play. You don’t need to farm or else, just play and you will have some money no matter how few it’s a step closer.
  • Legendary weapons are the unique end game content. I am actually trying to get to fractal 80, getting rank 80 in PvP and having all the acheivement which make me do 15 rerolls to do most of all the story quest line, train my PvP skill in all classes, do WvW, play a lot of fun content that i woulnd’t have found out otherwise, still nice and slow, at my pace. It can take me years, so be it. I also need legendaries to get the achievement, and i’m quite happy that you can buy it without using luck. End game is not really defined, may be after that i would want to get every single skin of every thing, know all the dynamic event, get to fight and kill a mini bus of at least 20 people with less than 3 allies at least once with all my character… This is my end game, define your own.

You complains about gold based items because you see them as items that you want asap, Anet see them as item you get when you can, by playing without any farm like I do. Some days i just take one of my character and wonder around just to take time to see the beauty of the world. No rush.

(edited by The Sixteenth.2561)

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Mesket.5728

Sorry, I’m trying to understand something here. You’re OK with something being so rare that only 1% should get it, but not OK if you aren’t a part of than 1%?

No. I’d like to have a chance to play, struggle to be that 1%, not farm gold to falsely belong there.

And Legendary weapons only cost 100 Gold. The rest of the components can be farmed or earned from the Forge. So it’s not as heavily influenced by how much Gold you can produce.

No. You can’t farm a precursor. Please read previous posts before quoting out of context.
No, you can’t farm 250 of each in any reasonable time (though I don’t care about this ones that much, they are part of the gift of fortune for something, you can also transmute them, etc so this is not that bad).

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Mesket.5728

Ok, i see 3 ways of thinking when you say buy the end game :

• Any morron with enought gold got in any way can get a legendary. Well, even if the legendary wasn’t sellable you could buy it but the gift of exploration which can be done under a week for half casual(4h a day). And if you complain about the fact that you can buy the precursor, it’s like complaining why work when you can play lottery. You want it as a reward of a very hard solo quest ? how about my support necro ? I make most dungeons way easier, play as a team even if they are just pick up, I try to dispell, buff and heal allies, tank, debuff and put max stack of vulnerability to the boss. But if you ask me to solo anything, just no, i like to play with other people, that’s what MMO are for. Elite mission ? why not, rewarding precursor ? absolutly not. I could just pay a group to rush me, no honor, diminishing even more the value of it.
  • Only gold farming/flipping/gold buying can make you a lengendary. Well, I don’t farm but i get a nice 10g a day by playing the game, some dungeon for fun like arah, Cof Coe Ta, not all path just some i like, arah 1 cof 2&3 coe all ta 1 (not all in one day, I play only around 4h or less a day). I do some fractal either to help or to try my luck on a fractal weapon once or twice every now and then, a bit of WvW for fun, PvP to get some glory to move to rank 80 nice and slow. I can buy it in a year, so what ? I play to play. You don’t need to farm or else, just play and you will have some money no matter how few it’s a step closer.
  • Legendary weapons are the unique end game content. I am actually trying to get to fractal 80, getting rank 80 in PvP and having all the acheivement which make me do 15 rerolls to do most of all the story quest line, train my PvP skill in all classes, do WvW, play a lot of fun content that i woulnd’t have found out otherwise, still nice and slow, at my pace. It can take me years, so be it. I also need legendaries to get the achievement, and i’m quite happy that you can buy it without using luck. End game is not really defined, may be after that i would want to get every single skin of every thing, know all the dynamic event, get to solo and kill a mini bus of at least 15 people with every class… This os my end game, define your own.

You complains about gold based items because you see them as items that you want asap, Anet see them as item you get when you can, by playing without any farm like I do. Some days i just take one of my character and wonder around just to take time to see the beauty of the world. No rush.

No, I don’t want it ASAP; besides… ASAP passed time ago. 6 months of playing is not ASAP. Don’t assume everyone that complains started last week, is full of greens and just saw how expensive it was. Give some credit before assuming.

Your support Necro can do much better solo than any berseker char any day. I play a support character myself and I’d love to have some SOLO challenges… I would remove precursors or hurry that scavenging hunt instead of saying "We are not working so you won’t see any update during Jan or Feb*.

End Game? When you look at ANY corner of the game and you’ve been there at least twice if not more…

If you don’t see the lack of end game content/challenge but farm gold, I’m sorry; not much I can do for you.

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: The Sixteenth.2561

The Sixteenth.2561

Why don’t you try to appreciate the game ? and by support necro i mean i would take a hell of a time i do with some might 500 crit tops. If the guy have regen, then we are stuck on a perpetual fight. You want thrilling sensation? get yourself into PvP, I agre that for now the pvp is quite poor, but fighting humains is very thrilling specialy when you meet a team that match yours. I see in the futur much more PvP content such as GvG, 5v5 no spawn point, matched tournament because for now you can get a group of full 80 or 1 . You can try your luck to make the legendary pvp armor, THAT can’t be bought. Get yourself in a good WvW server in a WvW dedicated guild and try to get your ennemies down in sitution that you put your self in, challenge your friend to take BP with only 10 men under an hour when it’s still full of people.

Do things not by yourself. I did over 100 times Arah, still I find it fun because we try things new, like, hey let’s do Arah 1234 all necro under 4 h or trash 100g in buying guild point. Let’s do it without any trait point nor skill, only weapon skill. Or we did it once with only the mouse.

It’s a MMO, soloing is stupid and boring. Don’t stop at what you can earn, do what is fun for you, it’s a game, you don’t like farm, then don’t. Is the legendary mandatory to have fun with friends ? no, you get money while having fun. It takes time but you won’t care, you are having fun. You will get your legendary even before you notice in a year or two.

Unless you don’t have friend, then make some, friends who are way behind you? help them, friends who are far ahead, ask for help it won’t kill you. Friends with no initiative? be the one who starts things. Friends who are too busy farming ? Have pity on them and make new ones.

(edited by The Sixteenth.2561)

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: billy.9680

billy.9680

I don’t want to lose any more time in this game,6 months its enough time to give you one precursor,at least not this price from the black lion

(edited by billy.9680)

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

SteepledHat.1345

Guys with their legendaries:
Take it slow, enjoy the game. Let it happen naturally.

Translation: “I don’t want you to progress. If you do I won’t be a special little snowflake forever!!1!!”

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Charismatic Harm.9683

Guys with their legendaries:

Translation: “I don’t want you to progress. If you do I won’t be a special little snowflake forever!!1!!”

There may be some with Legendaries that have that opinion and don’t want you to progress to make theirs more “valuable”, but I, for one, don’t have a Legendary, yet still share the same opinion.

It has been said by multiple devs at ArenaNet that the quest for a Legendary is meant to be a long-term goal. This game has only been out 6 months. Just because some have burned through the content in a month and are now complaining they don’t have a Legendary to show for it, that does not change the fact that the intention of a acquiring a Legendary has not changed based on a few peoples play style.

Please don’t generalize and misrepresent other peoples opinion. Personally, I couldn’t care less if you progress or get your Legendary. Your goals are your own. Mine are my own.

Here is my personal opinion and my goals regarding a Legendary so that you aren’t confused:

I feel the acquisition of a Legendary and all of its components, including precursors, are fine as they are. I’ve done the math. I’ve done my research. There are 4 pieces required to make a Legendary: 3 gifts and 1 precursor. The prices of those 4 items are all in line with each other. Some precursors are priced a little higher than others, but those are the ones that the player base finds to be in greater demand. That sounds about right to me.

As for MY quest to acquire a Legendary, I play the game the way I want to play it. I spend a little time analyzing the Trading Post to make money because I know that if I’m going to play GW2 for years to come, creating a tool that helps me do that now will help me do that for the rest of my time in GW2. I never farm. I repeat….I NEVER farm. I farmed SO much in GW1 that I vowed I wouldn’t do it in GW2. So, in order to get the things I want for my Legendary, all the items that I pick up, I salvage. That’s going to get me to my stacks upon stacks upon stacks of T6 mats that I need for my gifts. I’m going to need to play some WvW to get my 500 badges…because I have 3 right now, lol. I just started running dungeons because until 2 days ago, playing a dungeon was like watching a slideshow. So….I’ve got 60+ Ascalonian Tears, 60+ Shards of Zaitan and 60+ of something else. Alright….dungeon tokens are starting to build up. I complete my Daily every day because I get karma, mats and money for doing so….all of which contribute to my acquisition of a Legendary.

I’m not telling you that you need to play my way. I’m not saying that my way is right. What I am saying is that if your goal is a Legendary, you may want to rethink the way you play the game. If you’re not having fun, then what’s the point?

So….in conclusion….

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: goldi.3129

goldi.3129

You can get exotics anywhere you want, for karma, for tokens, for gold. With those exotics you can do any of the endgame content as well.

You want that legendary skin- thats the cosmetic grind that you either take willingly or don’t. I don’t have any disadvantages without a legendary or any real advantages with one.
I don’t have a legendary and don’t care to have one- if I did I would know from the beginning what the requirements of a legendary are and make the decision to either do the grind or not do it.

People complain about the gold grind- if they’d remove the gold grind and put other requirements into it like: “complete 5000 dungeons and kill 20k world invaders”, people would still complain- though they’d gotten what they want now, a fixed goal they can work on in time.

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Mesket.5728

You can get exotics anywhere you want, for karma, for tokens, for gold. With those exotics you can do any of the endgame content as well.

You want that legendary skin- thats the cosmetic grind that you either take willingly or don’t. I don’t have any disadvantages without a legendary or any real advantages with one.
I don’t have a legendary and don’t care to have one- if I did I would know from the beginning what the requirements of a legendary are and make the decision to either do the grind or not do it.

This was already discussed and pretty much both sides agreed that is purely cosmetic but the only remaining goal for “veteran” players. Not a real necessity until you make it one. Many, many would’ve already quit if they weren’t chasing this goal. It’s the last carrot on a stick for most players. You are going back a few pages in the discussion.

People complain about the gold grind- if they’d remove the gold grind and put other requirements into it like: “complete 5000 dungeons and kill 20k world invaders”, people would still complain- though they’d gotten what they want now, a fixed goal they can work on in time.

We complain that such reward promoted to be exclusive for players that did everything turns out to be quite the opposite, where players who really do everything are un-rewarded (and may never get one) and players who only repeat A and B for farming get the reward sooner making the whole concept of a Legendary weapon “to stand out as a truly master of Tyria” (quoting Anet) a joke. Even though it sounds ridiculous, having 50 points in Dungeon Hobby achievement sounds more likely for an adventurer than farm x amount of gold.

We are not discussing time, we are not discussing prices of the exotic required; we are discussing the way of getting one, how you achieve said goal it what bring concerns to most players.

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

Ugh, that moment when you write a long post and forum submission doesn’t go through. To sum up what would’ve been a decent detailed post:

Anet set the value of the legendary item when they came up with it’s recipe. The recipe does not involve much skill at all, just time, money, and luck (and I’m talking about actual gaming skill—-tp and farming isn’t your normal concept of gaming skill imo). So given that it’s value is just time, money, and luck. Someone wielding it doesn’t really prove anything.

What makes a person legendary is their ability to play their character well and no amount of cosmetic currently can showcase that (cept maybe fractal weapons sorta). Pretty sure Wethospu could handle a lot more content with a wooden greatsword than most people I’ve met with legendaries (shout out to the pro warr).

Given it’s current recipe, no matter what, the legendary means nothing more than a time investment, luck and money. And I don’t really consider dedication legendary—at least not legendary enough to make in account bound because it doesn’t diminish much. A sold twilight means, they had the money, just not the time and luck. A crafted twilight means they had the money, time and luck. Time and luck—does that really change the way people looks at legendaries?

I think this is being made a big deal when it shouldn’t be. If the legendary actually took legendary skill to achieve, then yes. Don’t let it be sold! Because it would diminish it’s symbolism for great skill. But obv Anet didn’t value you the legendary as such. Maybe the next round of legendaries would have better personal symbolism. -shurg-

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Svarty.8019

Nope. I’d be happy with that.

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Rising Dusk.2408

Yes it did. You presumed to know whether or not the Legendary was or was not suitable for that person, thus judging what the Legendary should or should not be.

A legendary costs X currency and takes Y account accomplishments. Player Z is unwilling to pay X currency, but willing to do Y accomplishments. Thus, player Z cannot get the legendary. It is a logical step from here, with no assumptions or presumptions made, to say that a legendary in its current form is not a good fit for player Z because they refuse to pay the base requirement of X currency to achieve it. There is no presuming of what a legendary should or should not be in that logic, only what it is.

Nope. I’d be happy with that.

You might be, others might not be.

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

(…)There is no presuming of what a legendary should or should not be in that logic, only what it is.
(…)

There is no presuming that logic can explain everything. Trying to tell others what they have to accept as a fact based on logic that does not include the context but only one aspect is flawed and hence irrelevant if not counterproductive due to the nature of human beings.

Logical argument – why is there no official statement – word by word – on what Legendaries are supposed to be from an official source (edit: in relation to the scarcity – not the “it’s an adventure” – that relates to further below). There can’t be, it would again be counterproductive. The overall goal is to make a successful game – marketing comes into play – human desires and psychology come into play.

Make a game with the bold statement that there is only one item at the top and only one guy can get it – that is a niche game.

Make a game where you say “everyone get’s to see the dragon, all levels are endgame” and you attract a wider variety of players (especially with the added feature of “hey, we have e-Sport too!”). Now tell everyone that bought your product plain and simple “yes, you get to see the dragon, but you don’t get a shiny to go along with it, only 5% may kill the dragon in style” – imagine the result.

You have to design it in such a way that at least everyone can “work” (not the perfect word) towards it in his own fashion, otherwise we can scrap this and go back to raids.
Granted it is more of a “soft” gate then a “hard” gate – but a gate it is. Make the gate more appealing – more happy customers.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

(edited by Rouven.7409)

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Rising Dusk.2408

No, I definitely agree. I’d personally like to see some more skill-driven rewards, particularly in the vein of legendary equipment. My point is that if you want a legendary item now before ANet either adds new legendaries acquired in different ways or adds new means to get current legendary components, you need to accept what the legendary is at face value and work toward it as that. The ‘now’ part is important. If you’re patient, you can just wait it out and get the new changes when they go live. Colin said recently that the legendary precursor scavenger hunt is a priority for them, so that should be reassuring for you and Mesket and others. Note that in my above post I specified that it might not be a good idea for Mesket to pursue a legendary in its current form if he’s unwilling to pay the base costs required for legendary components. He most certainly can wait for improvements, and those improvements can and will certainly be made in time. My only point above was made for those seeking a legendary now.

I also don’t appreciate the assertion you made that I will twist your words. I’m really just trying to discuss things in this topic to help others understand the situation. If all this discussion is achieving is inspiring users like Svarty to try and troll me and everyone else to distrust the fairness of my arguments, then I’ve nothing more to say. Sorry for all that.

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Rouven.7409

I apologize and edited.

I appreciate the reply, makes sense. I’m certain I might be misunderstood often if I don’t repeat myself, the sentiment is bound to get lost.

(edited by Rouven.7409)

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Mesket.5728

No, I definitely agree. I’d personally like to see some more skill-driven rewards, particularly in the vein of legendary equipment. My point is that if you want a legendary item now before ANet either adds new legendaries acquired in different ways or adds new means to get current legendary components, you need to accept what the legendary is at face value and work toward it as that. The ‘now’ part is important. If you’re patient, you can just wait it out and get the new changes when they go live. Colin said recently that the legendary precursor scavenger hunt is a priority for them, so that should be reassuring for you and Mesket and others. Note that in my above post I specified that it might not be a good idea for Mesket to pursue a legendary in its current form if he’s unwilling to pay the base costs required for legendary components. He most certainly can wait for improvements, and those improvements can and will certainly be made in time. My only point above was made for those seeking a legendary now.

I also don’t appreciate the assertion you made that I will twist your words. I’m really just trying to discuss things in this topic to help others understand the situation. If all this discussion is achieving is inspiring users like Svarty to try and troll me and everyone else to distrust the fairness of my arguments, then I’ve nothing more to say. Sorry for all that.

Rising, my concern relies on the last official answer I saw about scavenger hunt (can’t look for it now, I’m at the office) but it was somewhere between mid-end Dec where they said that they are not working on the scavenging hunt and we won’t see any of it in Jan-Feb.

Well we kind of are ending that window so I wouldn’t be surprised to see a different answer on the matter coming from them recently but when this discussions started (not on this particular thread but on many other that were opened during the last 2 months) that was the official answer.

I said on another thread that the Scavenging Hunt might be a solution or at least diminish “the harm” done, I just hope it has an adventuring approach and not another grind fest for mats and ridiculously low chances for things.

(edited by Mesket.5728)

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Rising Dusk.2408

Just the other day, Colin Johanson, a development lead for GW2, said that the scavenger hunt was a priority. You can read the DragonSeason interview (it’s posted on reddit) for more of what he said, too.

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Mesket.5728

Just the other day, Colin Johanson, a development lead for GW2, said that the scavenger hunt was a priority. You can read the DragonSeason interview (it’s posted on reddit) for more of what he said, too.

I just read the whole interview at DragonSeason and found nothing regarding precursors, nor legendaries…. maybe i missed it?

/sad panda again

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Rouven.7409

I just read the whole interview at DragonSeason and found nothing regarding precursors, nor legendaries…. maybe i missed it?

/sad panda again

Transcript is not complete yet, didn’t get a chance to listen to it, but since it’s mentioned pretty much at the bottom I would guess transcript 3 will cover that part.
According to their twitter they started three hours ago on that.

Edit: Thanks to Vol who created the thread on this forum and bringing it to our attention!

(edited by Rouven.7409)

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Rising Dusk.2408

There are multiple parts, and some of the interview hasn’t been transcribed yet. You can see the tweet they made during their interview with him regarding it here.

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Mesket.5728

I was afraid it was on their tweets… can’t read tweeter from the office ¬¬

Thank you though for linking the interview.

(edited by Mesket.5728)

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

goldi.3129

This was already discussed and pretty much both sides agreed that is purely cosmetic but the only remaining goal for “veteran” players. Not a real necessity until you make it one. Many, many would’ve already quit if they weren’t chasing this goal. It’s the last carrot on a stick for most players. You are going back a few pages in the discussion.

We complain that such reward promoted to be exclusive for players that did everything turns out to be quite the opposite, where players who really do everything are un-rewarded (and may never get one) and players who only repeat A and B for farming get the reward sooner making the whole concept of a Legendary weapon “to stand out as a truly master of Tyria” (quoting Anet) a joke. Even though it sounds ridiculous, having 50 points in Dungeon Hobby achievement sounds more likely for an adventurer than farm x amount of gold.

We are not discussing time, we are not discussing prices of the exotic required; we are discussing the way of getting one, how you achieve said goal it what bring concerns to most players.

I summed it up for you as we explained it in several threads and you always come back to the point. With no new arguments. And since I wanted to be ontopic and the topic is “buy the endgame” well not my fault that you jump directly to the legendary again. Endgame is more than a legendary.

As Ham said, it is pointless to discuss that with you- all you say is that you think that you should get a legendary by playing the game exactly as you are doing.

As to your quote of “be a hero of Tyria”. Well that is also only in your POV not the case.
You must (in theory, no mentioning JPS) defend your world against invaders, have to clear dungeons, participate in events and for a precursor (this is so you can put it lorewise right), either clear the world of much of its evil making it a safer place to life so no incennt gets jumped by exploding chickens(aka grind grind grind), try to reason with a supernatural being that you are worthy (aka play the mystic forge) or show your mastery of the tp (which IS a part of the game which is probably more difficult to master that get dungeon master etc etc as its the only thing you’ll NOT archieve eventually through time) aka demonstrate that you are brains and muscles and not only muscles.

There you have it, the current system makes you a hero of Tyria. You just don’t like the way of it.

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Gasoline.2570

Gasoline.2570

Well of course you can then argue youll become a hero of tyria and accomplish it all when you buy 100 000gems.

The balance team is chained to SPVP, and the PVE team is all about producing carnivals

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

As long as a Legendary item is not a mandatory, or even a major, advantage to any part or content in the game, I dont think its a problem if people buy it from TP gem store or if just falls from the sky in totally random places.

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

goldi.3129

Well of course you can then argue youll become a hero of tyria and accomplish it all when you buy 100 000gems.

Thats another case as you either accept the way Anet earns their money or don’t.
I’d say you’d be more a hero for Anet though if you’d throw that much money their way- which would result directly into being a hero of Tyria as well, as that money goes int the game again.

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Svarty.8019

A legendary costs X currency and takes Y account accomplishments. Player Z is unwilling to pay X currency, but willing to do Y accomplishments. Thus, player Z cannot get the legendary. It is a logical step from here, with no assumptions or presumptions made, to say that a legendary in its current form is not a good fit for player Z because they refuse to pay the base requirement of X currency to achieve it. There is no presuming of what a legendary should or should not be in that logic, only what it is.

Isaiah Cartwright said that Legendaries were, " to show off all of the things that you have been doing", and to, “show everyone that you are a true master of guild wars 2”. Player Z is willing to buy gems with RL money and from gems transfer to in-game gold. He then buys the Legendary weapon from the TP with gold. If Player Z does this, he isn’t showing off all of the things he has been doing OR that he is a true master of Guild Wars 2. Thus the Legendary weapon belonging to Player Z is NOT fulfilling Isaiah’s vision of what the Legendary weapon should be.

Buying "The End Game."

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

If I decide to finish my legendary rather than selling off the precursor and mats i already have sitting there, I’ll have shown that I’ve been running penet/shelt for hours at a time, I ran the same dungeon a bunch of times, ground for lodestones on the same mobs, suffered through a bunch of WvWvW stuff I don’t care for, and then threw a bunch of stuff in the Mystic Forge. I’ll have mastered monotony if not Guild Wars 2.

Oh yeah, and I’ll have cut down a lot of wood, made it into planks, and then spent 10 gold to learn a recipe to make it into “The Gift of Wood” which is rather unfortunately named.

(edited by Thelgar.7214)