Can I report in-game scammers?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Flyfunner.2093

Flyfunner.2093

Almost bought an item from this guy that’s normally on TP for 6.4g, he was offering it for 6.1g. Luckily someone in chat saw his name and told me that he was a known scammer. Just wondering if I had gone and mailed him the money and he hadn’t given me the item, could I have reported him?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: mrsrachelm.7618

mrsrachelm.7618

I’m thinking it’s buyer beware in cases like these but I don’t know if AN has an official stance on it or not.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

You can probably go ahead and report the guy for scamming, but it wouldn’t help you get the promised item or your money back.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Slark.1263

Slark.1263

You could report him, he may or may not get a warning. Almost guaranteed you would not get the money or the item since you know that the Trading Post is for buying and selling.

Also, if Anet really wanted to be a stickler on the rules they may decide to ban your account for abuse of the in game mail by helping the seller avoid paying TP fee’s for selling an item. The mail system was never designed to buy/sell products.

Even if the deal was legit your not getting a fair shake on the deal. The item goes for 6.4g of which .96g is fees. So in fairness the fee should be split equal .48g. Leaving you with a sale price of 5.92 gold if you bought via mail.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Tallis.5607

Tallis.5607

1. Sure, report him when he steals your money. One single report doesn’t do much, but if 2-3-4 people report him for the same reason, he’ll surely gt a punishment.

2. Slark, can you please point me to the rule that says we can not use the mail system to buy things? I never heard about that rule and thought that mailing stuff from/to trusted people was a legitimate way to do business.

Tallis – Perpetual newbie – Tarnished Coast.
Always carries a towel – Never panics – Eats cookies.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Flyfunner.2093

Wow, what you can’t use in game mail for trading? I never knew that. So ANet won’t ban bots,gold sellers/buyers, but will ban me for getting scammed? nice..

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Cancer.9065

Cancer.9065

Wow, what you can’t use in game mail for trading? I never knew that. So ANet won’t ban bots,gold sellers/buyers, but will ban me for getting scammed? nice..

Not true. You wont get banned for using the mail for trading if you want to risk it.

There is an option to report players as a scammer, right click on the player, choose report then pull down the list and choose “scamming”

Cancer is also a Zodiac sign.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mira.4906

Mira.4906

I agree with Tallis, I looked over the User Agreement and did not find anything that would cause you to have your account suspended for not using the trading post ( it may be in there since I did a quick read through). Slark is also correct when saying that your account can be suspended for not using the trading system but its not because of the fees. If you post over and over again WTB such and such item that can be considered spamming the chat which is something that people can report.

As the other posts can said use the report function if you get scammed using the mail system but if you never did any business with the other person then do not report him because someone else says he scams people since that is a false report.

Mrsrachelm pointed out that using the mail system for trading is a “use at your own risk”

Guild Leader for [Myth] Darkhaven

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Hippocampus.8470

Hippocampus.8470

Yeah, I’ve never heard anything official to the effect that trade by mail is against any rules.

Sure, you’re avoiding the gold sink, but you’re also missing out on the security and worldwide-ness of the TP, so it’s a tradeoff, not an exploit.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Jestunhi.7429

Jestunhi.7429

You can probably go ahead and report the guy for scamming, but it wouldn’t help you get the promised item or your money back.

This.

You can report them but will not get your items back.

If you want secure trading, the TP is setup for just that. Use the gifting system (there is no way to trade / exchange items, it’s “send one item” then “send another item”) for trading at your own risk.

SoE have finally been knocked off the top spot
in the list of developers I have the least faith & trust in.
Congratulations ArenaNet!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: haemophage.4325

haemophage.4325

It’s realism, if you do business with randoms you take a risk. Nothing you can do if it goes wrong but thats the chance you take for 10% off the price or whatever it is. The 15% tp cost in this case is insurance against thieves and blaggards.

As for mail trading, i mail thousands of items between friends and have had no problems with punishment. I dual farmed one of my friends through the mats for armoursmithing and artificing 1-400. Thousands of wood, metal, mats went back and forth.

I also use the mail system when farming as a 50 slot bank. Just put ‘RTS’ on the mail and send to a friend while farming, they send it back to you and you have your bag space plus mail slots to hold the farming mats. Simple and easy.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rapid.7451

Rapid.7451

I remember back from GW1 when I used to offer mission runs, some people didn’t want to pay 1k which was very little back then. What I did was simply send anet an email. The good thing is that they do take actions against this as the people who didn’t want to pay for the run got banned for 200h if I rememer right. I know this because they accidentally banned me instead of the scammer, but that ban was removed from me. So it should work the same way in GW2.

You won’t be banned because you got scammed using the mail option, lol. Another thing is that the 15% isn’t there just for the safety of not being scammed, it’s simply that the game needs gold sinks and it also prevents people from flipping most items.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Flyfunner.2093

So the scammer won’t get banned either even if i reported with them with screenshots?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Jestunhi.7429

Jestunhi.7429

So the scammer won’t get banned either even if i reported with them with screenshots?

Depends if ANet think he broke any rules.

It’s not as if he exploited a bug in the TP to break into a supposedly secure trading system, he’s exploiting people’s trust not the game mechanics.

SoE have finally been knocked off the top spot
in the list of developers I have the least faith & trust in.
Congratulations ArenaNet!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rapid.7451

Rapid.7451

The scammer will get banned, I don’t think that you are required to send screenshots.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Flyfunner.2093

Can a RED please post to clarify things up a bit..?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: John Smith.4610

John Smith.4610

You can report a scammer. Screenshots aren’t necessary we’ll know on investigation.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Tallenn.9218

Tallenn.9218

But if you investigate, and determine that it was indeed a scam, will you return the gold or item(s) to the injured party?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vanive.3804

Vanive.3804

The way to avoid scams is if someone wants to sell something to you, put an order up on BLT and ask them to fill it. It’s a simple way to avoid scams and get things at the price you agree to.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Hippocampus.8470

Hippocampus.8470

If you’re trading expensive items, though, the 10-20 gold listing fee can be well worth avoiding. Especially if the reason you want to avoid it is because you simply don’t have that much money available.