Change to Gems to Gold ratio?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: carlvinmadarang.4130

carlvinmadarang.4130

I’ve read a lot of comments on Dulfy saying there’s a Anet change coming to Gems to Gold ratios to be implemented before WvW season. Is this true? Couldn’t find any other articles about it. Wanted to make sure before I bought gems.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

As far as I know, Arenanet et al has not released any information concerning a change to the RMT algorithm. I would base your decision to use the gem to gold exchange on your personal need for gems and/or gold. Look at the historical fluctuations of the exchange rate, compare the exchange rates to your ability to earn gold in Tyria, your ability to earn currency in the real world and your desire for items in the cash shop and make your purchasing decisions accordingly. The exchange rate fluctuates within limits now and would continue to do the same after any rumored change.

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

I don’t see why Anet would mess with the ratios AND publicly state it. What benefit do they have for that?

But yes, you will see a gem/gold ratio change before seasons because they more than likely will

a.) introduce promo pricing for transfers
b.) open up the full servers

which will result in the gold/gem ratio changing due to player demand…not from Anet’s internal decision making

in Black Lion Trading Co

Psientist.6437

Been thinking about your question some more and Vol raises a good point. The conversations at Dulfy’s concerning ‘Anet change coming to Gems to Gold ratios’ may be about the effect of upcoming promotions. The effect of promotions on the exchange rate are a constant and should not be feared, just planned around.

A change to the RMT algorithm, even an unannounced change, should not be feared as well. Any system that employs an algorithm has the responsibility to manage that algorithm for system rational stability. An increase in an algorithm’s system rational stability (you can consider that the algorithm’s inertia) would have the measurable effect of being very difficult to measure.

edited for sytanx

Finn the human

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: KuroiArt.7349

KuroiArt.7349

The only problem is that it’s evergrowing. Not even year ago it was 3,5g – now within 4 days it’s from 12g → 17-18g even, becoming 15g avarage.

CoF p1 – takes around 8minutes (the only shortest dungeon) = ~1,50g
other fast dungeons take from 10-20 minutes each.
You can get around 6-8gold per hour for 1,5 hour per day if you have the right party.

So to get 100 gems for play-time you would have to spend ~2 hours daily for 2 days.
So let’s say you want to get bank extension since you start with one.
You farm for ~2 hours daily and to get 800 gems you need like 16 days.. If you get some nice drops 13-14 days of FARMING.
Personally I don’t mind getting something paid for gametime if it’s enjoyable – but pure farming dungeons is not and farming gold by playing otherhow will take twice the time or more..

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Well I think it’s going down because the last couple of days didn’t have anything in demand and we’ve tapped out a lot of excess gold those first few days.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Yeah, the biggest sellers are always account upgrades (bank/character slots) and cosmetics (armor/weapon skins), with convenience tools a distant 3rd. If ANet puts bank slots on sale in the next few days, I expect another price spike.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

And of course for some reason, Keys are a big seller as well.

But as long as you treat keys like lottery tickets for fun, that’s OK. But if you think you’ll get lucky and make big bucks opening chests, I would reconsider that line of thought.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Psientist.6437

My concern with the RMT algorithm is the long term demand for gem to gold conversion.

Consider as hypotheticals:

As a virtual game matures, the population can fall and self select for disposable income. In general, the system wide demand for gold could fall.

Finn the human