Does this happen often with the market?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Eskimo.1654

Eskimo.1654

So i’m a bit of a noob, so even 1 gold is quite a lot of money to me. (Got the game four days ago)

Now I’m a warrior and use heavy armor, and I’ve been saving up for a dye I think looks really really good on heavy armor, gold dye. Golden armor, pretty cool. It was around 1 gold and 50 silver, which I can earn with a bit of hard work.

So after i’d got to 90 silver or so I decided to check the gold dye again in the market.

Suddenly, it’s 4 gold and 50 silver.

The hell!? How did this happen? Does this happen often? Is there any chance of it dropping?

5 gold is simply to much for me to spend on a dye.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Tallis.5607

Tallis.5607

No, it doesn’t happen ’’often’’. Just once in a while, when someone is trying to manipulate the market by buying all offers of one dye.

Since Anet allows this type of market manipulation, there is not much we can do about it, unfortunatly.

Tallis – Perpetual newbie – Tarnished Coast.
Always carries a towel – Never panics – Eats cookies.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Sometimes. Prices can change rapidly for rare items. In this case,

Based on the sudden spike in the price without a decrease in the number of items available, it looks like someone bought up all of the gold dye in an attempt to corner the market.

http://www.gw2spidy.com/item/20480

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Manoa.5897

Manoa.5897

Sometimes. Prices can change rapidly for rare items. In this case,

Based on the sudden spike in the price without a decrease in the number of items available, it looks like someone bought up all of the gold dye in an attempt to corner the market.

http://www.gw2spidy.com/item/20480

This is my thought. It’s a low supply item, so it’d be easy for someone with a lot of coin to pull off. Given there are no massive swings in buy and sell volume, I suspect this may be the case.

Hold tight OP and keep an eye on the prices. Maybe they’ll go back down to historical norms once the market manipulator sells all of their product. But know there’s always a chance that the prices will stay at their new high levels.

Also, don’t forget that there are nearly 400 different colors in the game and there are many colors that are incredibly similar to one another. For example, fog is a great alternative to white, but is MUCH cheaper (4s for fog dye vs. 6g for white dye). I highly suggest you take a look at what colors are available (http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dye#Colors). Perhaps you can find an alternative that will give you the same effect you are looking for for a cheaper price?

Chaos Spatulai [Chef] | Paragon City Elite [PCE]
Henge of Denravi

(edited by Manoa.5897)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Eskimo.1654

Yeah, I have fog.

But seriously? Because of one selfish-I-Want-Money guy, I have to either wait for it to drop, or shell up 5 gold? I don’t know if I even want to consider paying if it goes to that greedy sonofagun.

Thanks for the info, though. I’ll look for an alternative, but it just won’t be the same.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Eskimo.1654

Yeah, your theories were correct, i’m almost sure.

Theres about 60 in total on the market, and about 44 of them are at a single (high) price.

the greed of some people!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rez.8016

Rez.8016

Gold dye price seems to be dropping again, but you could always just make a buy offer at the price 1g xxs price that you are happy with and risk free retract it at any time.

The other thing worth mentioning is that a lot of the good colours often have better version that come in non standard names.

So for Black dye you also check Abyss, Celestial for White, etc.

For Gold you should also check the currently cheaper and imo better Illumination dye.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: roperratt.6917

roperratt.6917

Cornsilk dye looks a lot like gold dye and is a lot cheaper.

IGN: Roper the Ratt, Mithril Knight, Sophie the Golden, (TTS), (DTtD), (KCCO), (BANA)
Fort Aspenwood

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Olfinbedwere.5049

Olfinbedwere.5049

Illumination is great. There are also other ways to get dyes. You can buy packs from the gem store, buy unidentified dyes for around 11s, craft them from the cook craft, there is a chance to harvest them when harvesting cooking nodes like carrots/potatos/etc. I get an unidentified dye about every 15 or 20 harvests.

Here is what illumination looks like on my medium armor.
!http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j202/pelias/gw260_zpsdf478af2.jpg!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

You can also try:
- redemption for 44s (hint of orange)
- nectar for 7s
- lemonade for 25s (yellowish)
- harvest gold for 12s (dark golden)

I am sure there are a lot more, but these are dyes I’ve unlocked and are in my opinion golden. The prices above are taken right now from TP.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: morphemass.2850

morphemass.2850

I tried to manipulate a rare dye a while back as an experiment – the price returned to its old level within 24 hours and there was a greater supply on the TP than before I started.

Hence my advice is to wait OR go for some of the other colours as others have advised; many of them are so close to the “rare” colour you will be really hard pressed to tell the difference and indeed, may find that you prefer them more.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Eskimo.1654

Allright, thanks for the help everyone.

Glad the price is dropping back down, but I also got illumintation. It’s not the gold i’m searching for, but it does look pretty good.