Dont buy those chests!

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Aeri.5738

Aeri.5738

They are crap
some crafting mats you will get anyways for free and very ugly skins (which you propably will get also for free)

nothing awesome to get here, just wasted 17g on a 10 pack.

“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2.” – Well, I guess you really failed, ANet!
Update 5.9.2013: getting better ANet, still way to go!
A Lannister always pays his debts – For everyone else, there’s Mastercard.

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nicolle Rodgers.4926

Nicolle Rodgers.4926

You also have a rare chance when opening chests to get an Exotic Mini Pet, which could be very valuable. Some of the crafting mats are also infrequent drops in the world.

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Derk.3189

Derk.3189

You also have a definite chance of wasting a lot of hard earned money to get Nothing At All. Some of the crafting mats can also be gotten in the game world.

I agree with OP.

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: MasterYoda.8563

MasterYoda.8563

You also have a rare chance when opening chests to get an Exotic Mini Pet, which could be very valuable. Some of the crafting mats are also infrequent drops in the world.

You did NOT hear us loud in clear from the Halloween event we want direct sales of items from gem store not RNGing of rare wepaon skins or mats!

Game Security Lead “Closing this thread,
your account,and your 384 other accounts”
GG Anet

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Horheristo.3607

Horheristo.3607

1.5h hours of farming, what are you complaining about?

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Snowbloom.8314

Snowbloom.8314

I have no right to question someone’s business practices but I’m quite disappointed that ANet didn’t learn from the Halloween event. Sure, it made them a lot of money but continuing practices like these will only hurt their reputation in the long run.

Since I have been a long-time fan of ANet, I will stick by them until the end but it’s not looking good for them as this patch is the most hated patch they have ever created. I’m looking forward to the new content but it’s little things like this that will nullify all the effort and dedication made into this game.

It’s unfortunate that it has become such a big issue. I cry every time I visit the forums. Seeing my favourite game’s developers get bashed by hordes of players is never good but sadly a lot of their arguments are justified.

Thus, I would also have to advise against purchasing these chests as it promotes a business practice and a design ideology that may ultimately lead to the downfall of what was supposed to be the greatest MMORPG of the decade.

ANet, I hope you are able to endure and make this game the best it can be.

Sincerely,

Snowbloom

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Tranquillity.8697

Tranquillity.8697

There shouldn’t be gambling in the cash shop. I’ll ignore these chests as i did with Blacklion Chests. It’s just not worth the effort to farm gold and exchange it for gems. Spending real money for them seems to be a rip off as well.

[Elona Reach]

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Aciel.6512

Aciel.6512

I have never had the doubts of buying any chests from TP, since i already bought approx 12 or 15 chests during the period of halloween, getting disappointing drops.. i was interested to continue the trend of buying some chests.. but seeing how much it costs… 250 gems for a single chest (random chance to get whatever thats inside, i doubt chance is high), i rather save my gems to do something else.. getting pwned by halloween chests were bad enough, dont want to get pwned again

first legendary – dreamer 594hours (aciell,ranger)
2nd legendary – Sunrise 1330hours (leina proudmoore, Guardian)
3rd legendary – twilight in progress

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: neon.4863

neon.4863

My own experience with them: got a 10 pack, nothing rare. Got all the shoulder/breather skins, plus duplicates (got lucky, I could’ve ended up w/ lots of duplicates). Result with current TP order prices (these keep fluctuating so the calculation may be quite off):

1 Heavy Consortium Breathing Mask Skin, 19s11c
1 Heavy Island Shoulder Skin, 18s45c
2 Light Consortium Breathing Mask Skin, 20s3c
2 Light Island Shoulder Skin, 10s1c each
2 Medium Consortium Breathing Mask Skin, 17s50c each
2 Medium Island Shoulder Skin, 20s9c each
91 Karka Shell, 63c each
11 Passion Flower, 2s29c each
39 Passion Fruit, 23c each

Not counting listing fees, the total is 2g44s22c for 17g’s worth of gems.

Absolutely not worth it. If the items are going to be random, at least the return on them should be closer to 50% of the value of the chests, not ~13%. Wasted $20. I knew it would be gambling when I went into it, so I won’t complain, but I’m also not buying any more chests.

Edit: I have 200 gems left, and can get 1g37s27c for them. With less than 400 gems I could get what I just got for 1800 gems (and with 1800 I could get 12g35s43c, enough to get one of the rarer drops).

(edited by neon.4863)

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: karma.8763

karma.8763

You also have a definite chance of wasting a lot of hard earned money to get Nothing At All. Some of the crafting mats can also be gotten in the game world.

I agree with OP.

Who said it was hard earned? and since when is anybody forcing you to buy those chests?

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Shadowlancer.7102

Shadowlancer.7102

Guys you cant have it one way or another. You complained about the weapon skins not dropping enough and this time, the skins are alot more common.

The extra rare items, such as the hats and minis are not meant to be easy to get also…

• Consortium Chest (Mystic Forge): [3x skin from consortium chest] + [passion fruit] + [karka shell] + [passion flower]

Sorry, but I am on Arenanet’s side this time, this is alot more better than last time.

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: neon.4863

neon.4863

The rates are still pretty low, but I agree that it is much better than last time.

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: mehyaM.3042

mehyaM.3042

That was your fault for dropping 17g on chests. You should know better. Watch the market first. I didn’t buy one halloween chest. Got all 3 skins, held onto them and made a 60g profit. Learn to play the market my dear friend. It will do you wonders.

Do not blame ANet for your mistakes.

On the other side. Wouldn’t it make more sense to put a discount on keys and actually raise the drop rate during the event weekend? I think that raising the key drop rate would have fixed the whole fiasco from the halloween event.

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Shadowlancer.7102

Shadowlancer.7102

@ mehyaM.3042

Consortium Chest do not require any keys to open.

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: toffin.5032

toffin.5032

The rates are still pretty low, but I agree that it is much better than last time.

a change from .01% to .02% was a nice change

Asuran CM~Bulldog~ Guild: Slackers Incorporated [INC] Back from a 3 year hiatus!
Server: Jade Quarry | Recruitment: Open

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: TheUnNamedHero.4167

TheUnNamedHero.4167

My state has an education lottery for college tuition assistance. My English professor had a rather astute description of it. “Taxing the dumb to educate the desperate.” You can try to entice me with how many millions the jackpot is, but I’m smart enough to know better then to throw money into a system that takes in more than it gives out. I hope you can see how the principle applies here as well.

2012 Halloween Tower Champion
The Lost Shores should have stayed lost.

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zogyark.4597

Zogyark.4597

Not buying those chests because for one, I won’t gamble on super rare skins that will waste all your money, i’d gladly buy them off the gem store if available there like some skins and minis from the halloween event.

And secondly I’m just so dissapointed by the power creep created, if you have checked out the new rings you’ll know what I’m talking about, this is not something I support and i think I might just stop logging on altogether out of sheer dissapointment.

Necromancer Lupicus Solo – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWkSkhmWiDU

Retired Until Expansion or Meaningful Content is Released.

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

>QQers

If Anet put everything up for sale in the Gem Store, then there wouldn’t be anything left that’s “rare”. Items that everyone has is no longer as unique or awesome-looking. Then there wouldn’t be that strong of a desire to have said item.

You can choose to buy a rare item or skin from the TP, but it would be if your choice to pay the high price tag for it. It would still be just as rare, since not everyone has tons of spare Gold to spend, or godly luck. Thus the item will maintain its status as something desired.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: roadrunner.8920

roadrunner.8920

I laughed. So much self entitlement in this genre. When people in Team Fortress 2 get kitten all for opening crates they mann up, and move on without kittening on the forums.

Nobody is forcing you to open those chests. If you want something rare, then expect it to be rare. If you want something that isn’t rare, then collect something else.

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: mehyaM.3042

mehyaM.3042

@ mehyaM.3042

Consortium Chest do not require any keys to open.

My bad, still not worth purchasing, seeing that the cost of the items are so low on TP. you could just save up a couple gold and buy everything.

Also for those who are complaining about not getting the skins…

A quick definition of “rare” for you.

1. not widely known; not frequently used or experienced; uncommon or unusual a rare word
2. occurring seldom a rare appearance
3. not widely distributed; not generally occurring

(edited by mehyaM.3042)

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

I’m noticing a pattern. Social clothes sold on the cash shop, everything else being put in chests and chests or keys sold in cash shop.

Time for me to stop bothering with this games cash shop because I do not gamble and have no use for social clothes which only take up my inventory.

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lifelike.5862

Lifelike.5862

I spent $30 against my better judgement, as I was still annoyed by the terrible class balance patch and thought that I might get a nice skin to compensate or something. In the end, all I got was shoulder skins that look exactly the same (all ugly) and rebreathers. Didn’t get a single tribal weapon skin or anything. Uuugh.

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Altosk.8492

Altosk.8492

why does this sound like you are aware that they are kitten but you just don’t care and who cares about a exotic mini pet. From what I’ve seen there are better things to spend your gold on than mini pets atm. Just get rid of the chests because clearly you are upsetting more people than making happy.

WTB Color Blind Mode 100g+50e

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Cod Eye.1632

Cod Eye.1632

Seriously I thought Anet learnt their lesson from Halloween, players had their fingers burnt once with this gambling mechanic.

“Hey I swung a sword, Hey Hey I swung a sword again,”

“After several hours I’m still swinging this sword with1 lodestone drop”

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Black Wolf.7348

Black Wolf.7348

If you buy the chests its your own fault if you get items worth nothing. same goes for wasting 100s of gold in hte mystic forge for precursor.

Anet have listed the good stuff from the new chests rare and very rare. Its obvious you will waste a lot of money if you buy more than 1 hoping to get a rare item to sell for xxxxxxxxx amount of gold. if your greedy you lose for sure.

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Brutal Arts.6307

Brutal Arts.6307

RNG Chests are and always will be kitten. Supporting them will only allow NCSoft to push more crap every month.

You have gotten what you paid for, all that remains is biweekly gemshop pushing.

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Duplicated.4715

Duplicated.4715

RNG Chests are and always will be kitten. Supporting them will only allow NCSoft to push more crap every month.

Thank you. At least now I know there are people out there who see through this whole scheme, and realize that the RNG idea does not originated from Anet.

Faith in humanity restored, somewhat.

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

You did NOT hear us loud in clear from the Halloween event we want direct sales of items from gem store not RNGing of rare wepaon skins or mats!

This. And it sounds like they only care about the gamblers. Granted it probably gets them more cash, but its just kittening most of the players off.

>QQers

If Anet put everything up for sale in the Gem Store, then there wouldn’t be anything left that’s “rare”. Items that everyone has is no longer as unique or awesome-looking. Then there wouldn’t be that strong of a desire to have said item.

You can choose to buy a rare item or skin from the TP, but it would be if your choice to pay the high price tag for it. It would still be just as rare, since not everyone has tons of spare Gold to spend, or godly luck. Thus the item will maintain its status as something desired.

God I’m tired of hearing that excuse that the stuff is supposed to be rare. Who really cares if everyone has it? Everyone is already pretty much running around in the same outfits and using the same weapon skins. For me, all it does is cause resentment towards that player with the skins. Legendaries are the only things that (at the moment) should be quite rare.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

(edited by skullmount.1758)

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Aciel.6512

Aciel.6512

i tried one chest just now, and from the recipes to make these chests… ur losing at least 70% of what u are making each time u make a chest lol.. 3 skins +1 karka shell .. becomes 1 skin.. vicious cycle indeed… ah well. at least they made it slightly recycle-able.

first legendary – dreamer 594hours (aciell,ranger)
2nd legendary – Sunrise 1330hours (leina proudmoore, Guardian)
3rd legendary – twilight in progress

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Toncora.3247

Toncora.3247

The back-pieces for Halloween are an example of how to do event content right, RNG chests are not and never will be. The events should be about taking part not grinding enough that when it starts you actually have a shot and walking away with something.

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lani.1429

Lani.1429

Oh i was lucky.. Got the Mini Pet in just a few chests. But than i got greedy and lost alot of gold.

So don’t blame Anet, but your own stupidity next time you start gambling

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: NoOneShotU.3479

NoOneShotU.3479

If the rare mini is that rare I should have bought some. They were under 1g on the TP last night.

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: TheMagickDoll.7594

TheMagickDoll.7594

Sorry A-Net. This whole gambling chest thing is a fail. Better off just selling the items themselves. Its not fun. It only makes people angry. The only entitlement here is people wanting a better game and better shopping experience. Stop this non-sense already.

A side note, excellent and amazing new dungeons, have been a blast to play. Reminds me of old school D&D modules.

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Pure Heart.1456

Pure Heart.1456

The Soulbound/Account bound crap ruins this ideology.

>QQers

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Gullyshanks.8795

Gullyshanks.8795

I honestly can’t believe people are defending this blatant cash grab.

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Pyska.1457

Pyska.1457

Hooray another event where you can burn through 6k gems and not get anything good. I’ve learned alongtime ago to stay away from these, they’re like russian roulette but with a fully loaded gun.

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Pyska.1457

Pyska.1457

Oh i was lucky.. Got the Mini Pet in just a few chests. But than i got greedy and lost alot of gold.

Really? That’s what it is our own stupidity? How about the problem is anet playing with a loaded deck, that’s the problem.

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Union.9780

Union.9780

I’m proud to say I’ve never purchased a lottery ticket in my life.

I don’t reckon I will start now.

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: roadrunner.8920

roadrunner.8920

Really? That’s what it is our own stupidity? How about the problem is anet playing with a loaded deck, that’s the problem.

Why are you so mad? The Chest gambling is just one of the things you can do in this event. Go get your ascended gear. If you REALLY want those skins, you can buy them for like 2g-30g on the trading post

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Arlandino.7513

Arlandino.7513

I’m finding it harder and harder to spend gems on any items. The dollar cost just doesnt make it worthwhile

I bought a 10 pack of these chests.. basically spent $22.50 and got…nothing exciting .. at all. Probably 2 gold worth of stuff if I were to sell it ALL on the exchange. To tell us that there is a small chance of getting some super duper rare item thats worth a lot is a total sham.

I’m a value kind of guy and there are a LOT of other things I could have spent $22.50 on and gotten a lot more enjoyment out of it.

Boosters? Extremely expensive.

edit: the more i do the math, the more angry i get. Do you honestly expect people to spend hundreds of dollars a month on your game for random crap to hope they get an item? I’m sure theres some well off people out there buying up keys like crazy but a fool and their money are soon parted.

Why buy a Magic find booster? If you just exchange the gems for in game currency it would net you more than whatever extra magic items you found because of the booster.

(edited by Arlandino.7513)

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Paularius.4820

Paularius.4820

This is a copy/paste of post i have in another thread:

I also dont like these lucky dip chests. I’d rather buy the items straight out. In the holloween event i spent alot of money buying the things i wanted including costumes and both mini pet sets so i could get all 4 mini’s. That alone was 15 euro for 4 mini’s.
I spent ZERO on keys for the chests.

I would gladly play the 500 gems for the mini’s this time around but im not wasting any of my money or gems on these random chests.

So please Anet. Reconsider putting everything into these lucky dip joke boxes and let us give you our gems for the things that we want.

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Arlandino.7513

Arlandino.7513

The log in screen is touting the following:

“Each Consortium chest is guaranteed to contain new items like shoulder skins, weapon skins, or exclusive lost shore minis!”

To an educated person, that statement is akin to the predatory lending practices of credit card companies. No one should be able to use the word “guaranteed” in regards to these chests. Very deceptive cash grab this is becoming.

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Duplicated.4715

Duplicated.4715

lol, after I’ve seen what happened during Halloween, I basically waited one day after Lost Shore is in and then probed the forum for people’s response to those chests.

Needless to say, it is still the same old scheme, and my money is saved. Thank you Anet.

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: KodChim.5670

KodChim.5670

lol, after I’ve seen what happened during Halloween, I basically waited one day after Lost Shore is in and then probed the forum for people’s response to those chests.

Needless to say, it is still the same old scheme, and my money is saved. Thank you Anet.

Exactly what I did. I really don’t see the point in buying those chests, for gold or real money.

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Minami Kaori.2548

Minami Kaori.2548

I really really wanted the minipets, but between them costing a fortune on the TP (yes, 10 gold for me is a LOT), and the ridiculous gambling I’d have to pay for with real money, I know I have to give up on having one.
I am not going to spend my money on gambling.
I want to support Anet with my purchases, but I refuse to do so when I don’t feel like I’m getting my money’s worth. They’re digital items only.

EDIT: Maybe someone rich in-game feels like sending me one of the minipets as a gift? My birthday is on doomsday after all (Dec 21), I want to enjoy having a mini before the world blows up :P

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Dungin.2983

Dungin.2983

While I found these chesta a huge disappointment, I waited till others tried. There is no excuse to not wait and see what people get. Shoot all you have to do is stand in lion’s arch and watch the linking. You can get the thing you want (surprise just like Hallowen) by waiting and using the TP VS RnG….This is why they are tradeable. It really is the ‘fooled me twice shame on me’ situation. If you don’t like this stop supporting the chests. Truth is, much like Haloween people couldnt make a quick buck so they are kitten-hurt.

Anet is leaving this thread open and even responding. So make an informed decision on things you buy. Check the forums, check the trading posts, etc.

I was dissapointed once again with these chests and kept my powder dry. Here’s to hoping the winterfest chest is less of a snoozer.

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Dungin.2983

Dungin.2983

Sorry A-Net. This whole gambling chest thing is a fail. Better off just selling the items themselves. Its not fun. It only makes people angry. The only entitlement here is people wanting a better game and better shopping experience. Stop this non-sense already.

A side note, excellent and amazing new dungeons, have been a blast to play. Reminds me of old school D&D modules.

The problem is:

No one would give a crap ( and I am reffering to the crowd that buys these chests for a quick buck) about the items if you could buy them. Would the greatsword skin even be on anyone’s wish list if it was 2000 gems (halloween) Ok , there it is, but much like the wow pony of doom, you had to do nothing to get it so no one will care about your super easy to obtain kitten. Wow I got this skin with gems so did everone else. even if they made common weapon skins for sale individually and rare ones in chests peoPle will cry. Hell. People cried about only getting a 20 slot bag and nice trinket (30g in items) for doing a non mandatory event. People here just cry.

That said they do need to retool this gem shop a bit.

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Hell. People cried about only getting a 20 slot bag and nice trinket (30g in items) for doing a non mandatory event. People here just cry.

A useless 20-slot bag and a “nice trinket” with bad stats (except for people who also use Runes of Divinity (Hahaha)) as a reward for playing through a 2,5 hour event with hundreds of invisible monsters that 1-shot you isn’t something you should be happy about as a player. Their value doesn’t come close to 3g, let alone 30g.

Seems a bit weird, handing out casual rewards for hardcore events.

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

Hell. People cried about only getting a 20 slot bag and nice trinket (30g in items) for doing a non mandatory event. People here just cry.

A useless 20-slot bag and a “nice trinket” with bad stats (except for people who also use Runes of Divinity (Hahaha)) as a reward for playing through a 2,5 hour event with hundreds of invisible monsters that 1-shot you isn’t something you should be happy about as a player. Their value doesn’t come close to 3g, let alone 30g.

Seems a bit weird, handing out casual rewards for hardcore events.

Where are these less than 3 gold 20 slot bags?

Dont buy those chests!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Fiontar.4695

Fiontar.4695

How bad were these chests? Bad enough that I will never, ever, ever buy a similar item from Arenanet ever again unless I see a clear indication from those buying them that some future iteration actually offers something worth while.

I want to support this game via gem purchases, but the store in general is just bad. Very few things are even near worth the prices and you guys have completely dropped the ball on the importance of sales and specials to drive cash shop sales.

Take a look at the Lord of the Rings Online cash shop strategy. They know how to do it. I never felt cheated by a single purchase there and their frequent sales drove maybe 80% of my purchases.

I even bought the occasional boost, because they were occasionally worth the money. I look at the cost of the boosts and black lion keys in the GW2 cash shop and just scoff.

Finding the proper price point is such an important part of any product driven business model. A dullard might open a business, charge full retail for everything, regardless of what competitors are charging, then rage when their shop goes out of business. “Why would I sell this lamp at 10% profit, when the full retail price nets me a 30% profit”? Well, 30% of 5 sales is a lot worse than 10% of 100 sales!

With virtual items, there is no per unit production cost. They should always be aggressively priced to find the sweet spot where a high volume of sales generates more revenue than a small volume of sales at a higher per unit price.

I haven’t found anyone that buys boosts or finds Black Lion keys worth the price after a few initial trial purchases. I’m sure there are a few people out there that buy these things, but wouldn’t it be better to have a larger portion of players making weekly purchases at lower prices than a handful making purchases at what most of the community considers unfair to outrageous prices?

/rant -over

Anyway, yeah, those chests are a supreme rip off. I have to wonder if the concept is close enough to gambling that state and federal authorities might want to take notice? Definitely seems like these things are really just thinly disguised lottery tickets.