Dumb Dye deal dabble!

Dumb Dye deal dabble!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: gobflinger.8653

gobflinger.8653

I’m not here to whine about the chance of landing a pristine dye from the new 3-day kit deal. 6/25 I like those odds! – fortunately I have a job and can afford to pick up 1600 gems a fine nouveau riche pay-day like this! My only issue is how Anet reuse the same old colors and present them as ‘new’ and unique!
I thought it was very cool that cosmetic items got added to the game in a short frame of time and those fortunate to obtain them would have that extravaganza-vain-claim-to-fame for ever and always! I have held on to all my old dyes from the fire and ice sale and cackled with glee when I saw how the price kept creeping up! Not only did the dyes that I had lose about 1000 gold in total value; when I opened the ‘not so new dye kits’ I got to day; I found out – to late – that Anet simply put the same thing up there again; (calling it which is false marketing might be pushing it…but it was sort of like slapping a ‘champagne’ label to sour wine that went through a soda-streamer!)
I just hope that Anet have more respect for people like me that make solid investments thinking that this was a game with a hard-core supply and demand market. Please please don’t water it down to the kindergarten junk most mmo’s suffer.

I was saving up to buy one of the few remaining chainsaw skins – but for all that I know that might be as common as dirt some day! I get that Anet governs this world and have to make changes that will effect the market, for better and worse – Just, please, remember and respect people that enjoy this aspect of the game (aka don’t be lazy and make ‘new’ dyes if you plan on calling them ‘new’). It is sort of eerie when someone pulls the rug under our feet like this and a small fortune is gone – from one day to the next – poof! I’m sure the dyes will regain some of its worth – unless the ‘new’ kits are introduced once a month (in which case I’d like to know before hand and I simply wont play this mmo-market game any more…there is always killing stuff and…stuff ;-)

Delete the adjectives and you’ll have the facts.

Dumb Dye deal dabble!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

Tradeable discontinued items are ridiculous in games.

Besides that opinion, the dyes returned before, so you knew they had the possibility of returning again. Your own greed got the best of you, as you decided to hold them for longer. I was in this boat, and lost about the same pot as you, 1000 gold.

Sure, they shouldn’t be labelled as new, but it’s the same name item so it is your own fault for not realising this.

They won’t tell you returns beforehand, it’s the risk with investing. Sell them when you’re happy, else the greed will do this to you.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

Dumb Dye deal dabble!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: laharl.8435

laharl.8435

If there were no risk in investing, everyone would be filthy rich.

Dumb Dye deal dabble!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Facepunch.5710

Facepunch.5710

…when I opened the ‘not so new dye kits’ I got to day; I found out – to late – that Anet simply put the same thing up there again…

These dye sets were called flame and frost for their previous releases, and they’re called flame and frost again. It seems pretty clear they were putting the same thing up there again.

Please take your tinfoil hats off and be reasonable. ~ReginaB
This forum is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. ~DevilLordLaser

Dumb Dye deal dabble!

in Black Lion Trading Co

gobflinger.8653

@Flissy
I didn’t know this was the third time around they had the dye-packs! Had to play pretend adult, move and work so couldn’t play for a few months – I came back about 3-4 weeks ago.

It has nothing to do with greed. I can say, without a shred of a doubt, that I am – ten times ten over and again – the least greedy, carefree and most generous, relaxed and unconcerned ‘pixel and polygon’ currency rainmaker that you will have the misfortune to never meet! I can present at least 5 people with legendary weapons that got their precursor from me (note that I’m not even including those who quit or sold the weapon)!
Imagine that I was all about combat mechanics instead – and translate me having a couple of thousand gold into “doing stupid damage and never dying” – would you, by default, assume that he/she cant and wont help anyone? Just because I enjoy inventing new methods of hoarding piles of play-pretend-gold in a game does not make me greedy.

We don’t share the fundamental perception and values but that does not make either of us right – and I don’t claim that you or anyone have to enjoy this aspect of the game – regardless, it is very much real and it does in no way interfere with you or yours (not even in the slightest) I wont try to persuade you that ‘playing’ a game isn’t subjective and that I found the key to fun that’ll transcend and be perfect for the whole community. It has nothing to do with greed! It does not even have anything to do with the dyes! It was an example which is a fundamental part of my GW2 experience and important to me.

That discontinued items in mmo’s would be bad is just wrong and weird! I guess you either assumed this for the sake of argument. I have seen the rise and fall of most mmos worth mentioning and this has, time and time again, played a major role in its demise (a cut and dry version of the issue where the producer focus on expanding the player base at the expense of the established, devoted and proven fans. If you speak anyone of my friends I am sure that each and everyone, without exception, would agree! Some enjoy pew pew die and respawn and some like a steady pace where actions has consequences and players get to alter and shape the world and avatars. We cling to the idea that parts and bits of a solid mmo’s should be centered around creating a unique character and that watering down your old achievements and making everything accessible to everyone, at any time; gradually easier and faster over the years, will eventually remind us how meaningless this rat-race is.

In short, I simply plea to the good people at Anet that they should consider that a good chunk of the players enjoy the market and act according to a few fundamental rules; which have to be defined and clear so that people like me and many of me kin, can speculate, buy sell and occasionally wear something mismatched, slap a boss/goat, get lost and wonder if we did awesome.

@laharl
Funny how you didn’t read what I wrote and replied something sort of mundane and obvious! :-)
Almost like I didn’t start the post with the sentences “I’m not here to whine about the chance of landing a pristine dye from the new 3-day kit deal. 6/25 I like those odds!”

But fyi and because I like to sound like a kitten past midnight on a friday; I do my math and solid risk analysis before any decision making. But yes, you are right – if everyone tried redistributing, skinning and leaching each and every copper of our sturdy gullible farmers, I would snatch every cow and label each bottle ‘Lets not assume you will win the lottery this week either. Here, have some milk and ponder why fortune always favours the geeks’!

Dumb Dye deal dabble!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

I lost some money on dyes too… been offloading them too slowly since the last release. Still made profit but lost nearly 1000g worth of profit today. Nobody to blame but myself though. Kind of a drop in the bucket after cloth, halloween, and soon to be wintersday profits though. Still it’s annoying knowing I could have about an extra legendary worth of gold if I sold all my quartz and now dyes before the crashes, heh.

Not that I care too much about gold anymore now that I FINALLY bought my coveted endless mystery tonic that afore now could take more gold than several legendaries to acquire.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

Dumb Dye deal dabble!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Sniper.3487

Sniper.3487

From the original post to the last post its pretty much people saying “not that I care cuase Im rich, but this sucks” kinda attitude..

Well, Im not rich, I have 1 legend and no where near another. Been playing since release and never played the market except for a couple of things. I had 5 of the dye’s in my bank including the expensive one. All together I could have sold for about 500 gold to “highest bid” or wait and probably get about 1k gold if I posted a little under lowest selling. I was just about to sell, literally this or next week.

What to say, I can’t really do anything now. I find I need goals in things I do including games and my current goal was to craft another legend and the primary money was coming from these… sucks……

Dumb Dye deal dabble!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Simplicity.7208

Simplicity.7208

Pigs get fat. Hogs get slaughtered.

Also, as a hardcore sPvP player I’ve never seen more than 150g. So yeah. Complain about your thousands of gold. I have no sympathy.

Dumb Dye deal dabble!

in Black Lion Trading Co

gobflinger.8653

Pigs get fat. Hogs get slaughtered.

Also, as a hardcore sPvP player I’ve never seen more than 150g. So yeah. Complain about your thousands of gold. I have no sympathy.

I will try to explain this to you because I’m kind and awesome like that. You’re welcome. And yes, I will break it down to the point where I enlist and follow through a full year of intense stop-motion movie classes; get clay in all the happy colors of the rainbow – all the while working the graveyard shifts so I can develope a pedagogic dance and song method called “the sunshine procedure to convey moral of the story and basic facts to angry boys who clearly don’t read or listen but still feel obliged to have an opinion for the sake of having one and by default just disagree – which is cute the first 100 times. Then it gets old in c# minus with dancing clay!”
Ok, imagine someone else – and wrap your head around the crazy notion that this conscious entity is not you. I know – its crazy – but humor us with the insane mind melt that the people who play extras your grand reality have ways, ideas and vastly different means and methods to have fun!
Here is the tricky part – try to come to terms with how wack it would be if your way of having fun wasn’t the cut and dry definition and foundation to wikis fun page. If that doesn’t compute, just google words like “subjective”, “cognitive thinking” and we will cover the empathy part with the happy dancing clay!

If I were to dedicate a few hours of real work and put it all towards gems I would have enough ‘play pretend gold’ to last me two dussin weeks of stupid impulse shopping sprees!
Every cheat and endless resource and god modes to each and every game is a sloppy google away. But I would rather play the game with the mechanics working as intended.
I enjoy a lot of aspects of this game and making gold, by speculating and trying to find ways to build something out of nothing, being innovative without abusing the economy. I don’t do anything at the expense of you or anyone else. I don’t have any legendaries or fancy stuff because – wahey; I don’t care about that all to much. I like giving things to my long time friends that I’ve known and played with since UO (1998).

Its ok if you want to be a kitten. Just remember, on the inside, you are also poor. But I mean if you enjoy being a poor kitten – go for it! You do you!

Dumb Dye deal dabble!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Angry Dutch.2439

Angry Dutch.2439

@globflinger. I just have to say your replies sofar have been golden

There is no shame in fear of the dutchman.

Dumb Dye deal dabble!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: TheOneNOnlyGeneralBama.9586

TheOneNOnlyGeneralBama.9586

Actually they would be that if they had TL:DR versions , till then no.

I never expect to lose. Even when I’m the Engineer , I still prepare a victory speech.

Dumb Dye deal dabble!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

Time limited =/= one time only…

Sorry you lost some value. Just wait it out and they’ll go back up. Deep glacial already has gone from 115g buy order→145 and the event isn’t even over yet…

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

Dumb Dye deal dabble!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

too true this was a giant insult to investors and first time would be dye kit purchasers alike

Dumb Dye deal dabble!

in Black Lion Trading Co

gobflinger.8653

Thank you Aberrant. Yes – I saw the curve following this exact same pattern, going back to the last time they introduced the dye’s, for the second time (which I just got aware of) I suppose I wouldn’t even posted on here had I known about that :-) Knowing that its common practice that the deals would show up again is something I can work around — but its odd how some players almost look at us funny like reintroducing something was obvious!
"- I mean come on! They release them on a one time, story-driven, time limited event for the first and only time ever since the release and didn’t suggest or even hint with any similar circumstance that it would happen again, so yeah, it’s common sense that they would. Ok – could you please hand me that “I blame you for not staying in bed today!” sign. I’ll be at the emergency room selling “the art of foreseeing by interpreting the few times a 50-50 flip was correct for dummies”. If you need a spare time gig and feel like yelling “I told you so” in misfortunes general direction I would be happy to pay you nothing since I for some reason feel offended that you seem to have made a lot of gold! Its evident that you are greedy since you have given, spent, gambled away everything on your friends – what about me and other generally mean and spiteful people who got nothing but all top notch parts in each slot from all the hours Hardcore PvEVERYTHING – while you did… whatever ‘that stuff’ you do and enjoy is… I don’t care! I just think its unfair that I don’t know everything by default! Right? And did you get the memo that we now hate sushi? No, ok, remind me to stab you for being wrong once I claim I have tried sushi and formed an opinion based on which color the next car I see is."

Little did he know, while he was in the middle of this disturbed rant that seemed to go on for eeeeveeeer, a simple yet devious plan was starting to take shape inside my slumbering, unconscious PvPer! The words cut him off and hit like a ton wrecking ball!
“Not everyone have the exact same shoe size!” – My index finger of judgement on the top of his nose, crossed eyed and arms flailing ominously as my arm dropped toward the grown! “Look!” I cried out and pointed at my feet. His shriek of shere horror followed by a “thud” a warm red shower and the eerie silence…until someone walked by, said “good job” and gave me a high-5. So much glory! Muhahah
The coroner later determined that his mind had been “blown”. He was – unknowingly – suffering from acute hybris as a result of years of excessive ego-patting.
I knew that would happen before hand, of course, I read his book and most doctors he came across said “you should have someone look at your self image, it is very swollen”. We had no idea that it was to the point where it blocked out anything but his own inner voice. And, ok, get this – his conscious “inner” voice – had move out years ago; simply left and didn’t even leave a note! Its funny how these things almost seem made up when you take all the variables into account!

Hah! Forum is my new BFF on my daily commute to and from work. I always forget what point I was trying to make as I get close to home! But it got me here super fast! Yay! Writing posts longer that a few sentences is a get out of padded-cell free-card since you can pretty much say for sure that no one will read it. I had to look up what ever TL;DR was by the way. Thats one of the most unintentionally ironic, super refined sublime message generation gogoplz-abbreviation- junkies manage to create! <3

Dumb Dye deal dabble!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

From the original post to the last post its pretty much people saying “not that I care cuase Im rich, but this sucks” kinda attitude..

Well, Im not rich, I have 1 legend and no where near another. Been playing since release and never played the market except for a couple of things. I had 5 of the dye’s in my bank including the expensive one. All together I could have sold for about 500 gold to “highest bid” or wait and probably get about 1k gold if I posted a little under lowest selling. I was just about to sell, literally this or next week.

What to say, I can’t really do anything now. I find I need goals in things I do including games and my current goal was to craft another legend and the primary money was coming from these… sucks……

I trust you are aware they will shoot back up when this event is over?

Dumb Dye deal dabble!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

The panic statements are generally aimed at the more trigger-happy individuals who will dump their hoarded dyes before they become “worthless” allowing the smarter, patient investors to grab them at a fraction of last month’s prices. They can then hold them for a few more months until the prices climb to the “sell zone.”

Dumb Dye deal dabble!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Sniper.3487

Sniper.3487

well before the re-release there were only about 10 on the TP and were at almost a stand still. Now there are 50+ with probably many being hoarded so it will be many months until they get remotely close to that price.

The difference with me is Im new to gaming so I don’t panic, I don’t “troll” (new word I learned), I don’t grief the same way you would about real world things…. I simply am saying that it does leave a sour taste in the mouth of “investors”. See the thing about games of any sort is that they are games and are meant to have something within them that is enjoyable for everyone out there. The TP isn’t really why I play the game but I have been slowly looking at it and trying to give it a shot. I was fortunate enough to have something of value and was really happy because I don’t have tons of gold. The little hope I had for a “pay day” is gone for at least several months with the possibility that it won’t reach the same heights it would have. Buyers might simply wait until they re-release again and sellers will be trigger happy to sell, I assume.. And yes, some will keep them but as I said, might be many many months until they reach a high amount.

Anyways, no point going in circles.. ANET broke no rules.. we know that. But sometimes right and wrong goes beyond “rules”, at least that’s what I try and teach my students. They are essentially removing an aspect of the game that im sure many people consider there primary source of enjoyment.

Dumb Dye deal dabble!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

well before the re-release there were only about 10 on the TP and were at almost a stand still. Now there are 50+ with probably many being hoarded so it will be many months until they get remotely close to that price.

The difference with me is Im new to gaming so I don’t panic, I don’t “troll” (new word I learned), I don’t grief the same way you would about real world things…. I simply am saying that it does leave a sour taste in the mouth of “investors”. See the thing about games of any sort is that they are games and are meant to have something within them that is enjoyable for everyone out there. The TP isn’t really why I play the game but I have been slowly looking at it and trying to give it a shot. I was fortunate enough to have something of value and was really happy because I don’t have tons of gold. The little hope I had for a “pay day” is gone for at least several months with the possibility that it won’t reach the same heights it would have. Buyers might simply wait until they re-release again and sellers will be trigger happy to sell, I assume.. And yes, some will keep them but as I said, might be many many months until they reach a high amount.

Anyways, no point going in circles.. ANET broke no rules.. we know that. But sometimes right and wrong goes beyond “rules”, at least that’s what I try and teach my students. They are essentially removing an aspect of the game that im sure many people consider there primary source of enjoyment.

Actually, I recall they rose back up to original value the last time this happened very quickly.

It will be no different this time. A few of them seem to even being starting to climb back up in price already and it’s not even over yet.

(edited by Celestina.2894)

Dumb Dye deal dabble!

in Black Lion Trading Co

gobflinger.8653

Wahey – speaking of teaching – I will consider this a masterclass in summarizing the essential market-mechanical aspects and still leave the lime-light on the core of why we’re here!
I hope to find a topic at some point that covers the whole market since the the small pragmatic issues, like the dye-deal is all circumstances; most non-essential to how I will/would/should/hope to act in the future.

I find it somewhat distracting when we get gold, dyes, reintroducing items, re- and for the first time introducing some to the concept of ‘fun being subjective’ and at the same time trying to convey that this currency and the amount we have doesn’t server as an end in itself, you know? I can’t hot-glue-gun them and make a proverbial pillar of financial strength and that will automatically complete achievements and retell the adventures as I get fed pealed grapes on my baby-charr-fur pillow. The gold in itself can serve as a measuring-stick that inside my frame of references and relative to what I had there and then and where I manage to take that within any given time.
- And of course; this game will be more enjoyable if we can count on a few conditions and ‘rules’ which are set in stone as firm as ‘warriors use heavy armor’ :-) Go crazy Anet, but no tampering with things we take for granted – sounds like a good foundation; so I just wish I knew what we can take for granted.

Jikes. Daily… Oh no – missed it!

Dumb Dye deal dabble!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Go crazy Anet, but no tampering with things we take for granted – sounds like a good foundation; so I just wish I knew what we can take for granted.

That ship sailed long ago.

ANet has changed their minds about so many things starting shortly after launch that we still have people reeling and cycling endless threads with complaints about the pain from their whiplash (“but der manirfestoh!!!”).

As far as market speculation, if that’s something that’s really fun for you, shouldn’t the uncertainty caused by the chance something will be reintroduced make it more fun, not less? What skill is required to throw money at a one time, tradable item with a guarantee no more supply will ever be introduced? Isn’t there more game in trying to predict the peak sell price and get out before it crashes down again?

Dumb Dye deal dabble!

in Black Lion Trading Co

gobflinger.8653

As far as market speculation, if that’s something that’s really fun for you, shouldn’t the uncertainty caused by the chance something will be reintroduced make it more fun, not less? What skill is required to throw money at a one time, tradable item with a guarantee no more supply will ever be introduced? Isn’t there more game in trying to predict the peak sell price and get out before it crashes down again?

I bet it would be awesome – and it is a grand buffét of opportunities – so if I was looking for ‘uncertainty’ and enjoyed that sort of deals; yes!
My forte is slightly more refined in the same sense that someone who made an effort to learn everything about a thiefs mechanics in PvP, damage coefficient formulas top of their head and and how it applies when they face each class, considering and taking into account what they wear and wield! I bet that thief would kick an army of lost players, fresh out the box. What skill it required to win, they might ask? We all tap the same number of keys – its simply a matter of who acted first and knew what of the abilities would be best suited at any given time! They be dead before they knew the game was started! Same logic applies to some buying gold for pocket lint and coppes before most people even knew it was possible ;-)

I don’t enjoy or spend any time looking for items to flip. I got the dyes cheap – way back when – the few and far times I did have a look inside the game I noticed the value and figure it was safe to spread some love. I assumed this and that and wahey – this is the reality now which I accept.
I did just reply to similar post that got me all fired up; and I tried over and time again to ask players to question the whole concept behind actions that diminish some peoples efforts. I find it condescending – not to mention the how a lot of people react to anyone who enjoy anything that they can’t be bothered with, never considered or isn’t a viable source of fun for them and the concept of subjective thinking does not award a single achievement point!

I have never told anyone what, why and how I do anything related to the trade post – But consider all the variables using either of the mechanics at our disposal! If you don’t have a clue what I’m talking about – let me assure you, I know little to nothing about things that most of my friends take for granted but I don’t assume that my nephew would be on pair with the best only because he has 10 fingers and wahey – whats they skill in pressing a key?! ;-)

Just posted something in the neighbouring thread “re releasing dye packs makes everyone unhappy” and made an effort to convey what I mean, which goes was beyond dyes and that sale!

Dumb Dye deal dabble!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

I don’t really follow your metaphor.

You can become the best at your class, but there’s always risk that you’ll lose a fight. There’s no guarantee.

I’m not sure why ArenaNet should never re-release items so that people can be guaranteed they will continue to gain value. Playing the TP is already one of, if not the, most profitable activities in the game. The last thing the game needs is to remove more of the risk.

Dumb Dye deal dabble!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

As a wizened veteran of many games (MMO and otherwise), I can say with certainty that very few promotional things are truly “once only”. Times change, policies change. The only thing guaranteed is that if the demand is there, and if re-releasing something will make a company more money, they will do it.

Of course you can still make money from investing, but the key is knowing when to sell. Holding onto something for too long will usually come back to bite you.

Dumb Dye deal dabble!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

too true this was a giant insult to investors and first time would be dye kit purchasers alike

Because god forbid investors ever make poor choices.

Its not gambling if you can’t lose.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.