Dunkin Donuts? Ok ... flame on!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: edwardroyce.5289

edwardroyce.5289

Just a humorous idea that popped into my head would be a very limited selection of RL items/businesses that might be well received in GW2. Having my character, as my virtual avatar, drinking a cup of coffee and eating a couple donuts before a hard day of exploring, fighting, running …. (cough) … in a new direction, etc etc etc. Well I think it would be rather amusing.

And frankly Anet needs to have a good revenue stream or else it folds the game up and moves onto something else. Having a strong revenue stream is useful for the company and could be entirely ignored by a large percentage of the gaming population who simply don’t care about it. But for those who are amused by the idea it would provide something interesting in-game.

Am I suggesting bottles of Pepsi be a loot drop? No because that would break the first rule which is to have a system that is entirely opt-in. I am suggesting selected vendors with stores in selected locations where players who go there can get items that are available IRL.

And of course YMMV. Now. Flame on!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

Dunkoro Donuts

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

To be direct, I really dislike this idea. I don’t want to see real-world brands referenced in-game. (Other than the occasional reference to GW2 and Anet, for obvious reasons.)

I don’t demand that the game world be perfectly realistic, or completely immersive, but I want the exceptions to be for the sake of fun and fantasy, not product placement revenue. There’s really no amount of “opt-in required” that works for me, because those items and brands are going to spill out into my experience just the same, from people linking their brand items in chat to official marketing messages. Any volume low enough that I won’t mind it isn’t a volume that’s worth them running a tie-in campaign for.

Dunkoro Donuts

Darn you—Don’t make me enjoy this idea.
+1

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: cranked.3812

cranked.3812

You know I was just thinking to myself the other day we need to get corporations involved in even more things in this world. We don’t get nearly enough brand naming everywhere else.

On a serious note, why do you need to eat dunkin donuts rather than just some generic donuts?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Gnat.9405

Koss' Krispy Kreme Consortium

in Black Lion Trading Co

Gnat.9405

Tahlkora's Tantalizing Tarts

in Black Lion Trading Co

Gnat.9405

Cynnabon

in Black Lion Trading Co

Gnat.9405

Pyre's Pastry Palace

in Black Lion Trading Co

Gnat.9405

Mhenlo's Menagerie of Marmalade Muffins

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Gryphon.2875

Gryphon.2875

Gwen’s Groceries

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: JusticarArkiel.1564

JusticarArkiel.1564

my never-sober norn engineer would love this

Fix what you have before you build something new

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Real world product advertising doesn’t work in anything but an MMOs in a contemporary setting. Maybe a game like The Secret World but any fantasy or scifi setting it would be out of place.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: edwardroyce.5289

edwardroyce.5289

Have you seen the recent Explorer’s clothing? All it needs is a whip you can equip and a pistol and you’re set.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

They look more WWII German Afrika Korps than what an archaeologist would wear.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes