Flame/Frost Dyes both gave me grey dyes..??

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Yelena Lucius.3059

Yelena Lucius.3059

SO I just took a gamble on purchasing a frost dye —- got a grey dye named “Tea Shade” —- which, eh, I learned and moved on.

Decided I wanted a red/flame color – purchased a flame dye, and received “GRAY” dye… wasn’t too enthusiastic about it, but decided to take another chance and spin the wheel…

Guess what I got?

ANOTHER “GRAY” dye. The same one I just got 2 minutes earlier — nothing very FLAME about it.

Just 3 lovely shades of gray – 47 short of a bad novel.

Won’t be doing that again, thanks Anet. I would have been willing to spend more on a pretty red/blue shade, but to continue getting a gray shade for 125 gems is ridiculous.

In fact, I most likely won’t be spending anymore money in the GEM shop anymore if that’s how you’re going to play.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Guess you didn’t read the wiki notes on those dye packs.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Flame_Dye_Kit

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Frost_Dye_Kit

Or the in game description

“Contains one random flame(frost)-themed armor dye from a pool of 25 colors, including six exclusive new colors. "

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Kruhljak.2705

Kruhljak.2705

Regardless, if he got any sort of gray-shade dyes from a Flame pack, then frankly, something’s wrong. They might be narrowly appropriate for a Frost pack, but that’s not what the OP claimed; if true, and he didn’t mistakenly buy all Frost dyes without realizing it, I’d agree he’s a victim of false advertising.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

There are grey-ish shades in BOTH the pools of 25 colors. The flame packs in particular include “ash” colors in the theme, right up to an including some of the 6 new colors in the flames sets being greyish and ashen.

I usually (but not always – it is “random” not “evenly distributed”) get a new color out of each bundle of 5 I’ve bought. But 3 isolated attempts? You shouldn’t be expecting anything specific from a sample size that small.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: dagrdagaz.4913

dagrdagaz.4913

Well, the thing about gambling, u loose more than u win.

(edited by dagrdagaz.4913)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Yelena Lucius.3059

First off – he is a she.

Second off – I knew it was a pool of 25 colors. The fact is, out of 2 attempts, I got the same color TWICE (from Flame) — the same exact color, out of a pool of 25.

And a similar color out of the other lot (Frost).

It’s not worth it – I won’t be doing it again. Very disappointing Anet.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Kruhljak.2705

There are grey-ish shades in BOTH the pools of 25 colors. The flame packs in particular include “ash” colors in the theme, right up to an including some of the 6 new colors in the flames sets being greyish and ashen.

Ahhh. Have to admit I didn’t think of the ash/charred angle for the Flame set. I retract my remark about false advertising. I do think it might have helped if they’d have provided a palette of all the possible colors, denoting the new ones from the old ones, on either a tooltip flyout or a “product” page for the dye packs in the gem store. I think of “flame” as red(dish)—and I doubt I’m in the minority—not grey, but yes, it makes sense if you look at it more broadly.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Iures.2894

Iures.2894

Well, you have a 1/25 chance of getting a duplicate color. Nothing really strange about that. What’s the issue?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Nike.2631

I do think it might have helped if they’d have provided a palette of all the possible colors, denoting the new ones from the old ones, on either a tooltip flyout or a “product” page for the dye packs in the gem store.

Well, if you are curious to see the new colors, you can open the Trading Post and do a search for dyes, then sort by price. The 12 new ones have very distinctive icons and tend to fall on the first two pages if you sort price from highest to lowest (some are more then Abyss, none are less than 5g last I looked). From the TP screen you can preview them to really see if they do much for you.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Nike.2631

Well, you have a 1/25 chance of getting a duplicate color. Nothing really strange about that. What’s the issue?

People are funny animals.

Ask someone to pick a number between 1 and 10.
After noting their answer, immediately ask them to do it again.
If people picked numbers randomly you’d expect them to pick the same number again one time in ten… I promise the number of folks that’ll give you the same number twice in a row is a LOT lower than 1 in 10.

People strangely think “random” means “evenly distributed”.

It doesn’t.

(there’s great party trick based on that used in forensic accounting …)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Kruhljak.2705

I do think it might have helped if they’d have provided a palette of all the possible colors, denoting the new ones from the old ones, on either a tooltip flyout or a “product” page for the dye packs in the gem store.

Well, if you are curious to see the new colors, you can open the Trading Post and do a search for dyes, then sort by price. The 12 new ones have very distinctive icons and tend to fall on the first two pages if you sort price from highest to lowest (some are more then Abyss, none are less than 5g last I looked). From the TP screen you can preview them to really see if they do much for you.

I wasn’t referring to providing a palette in order to see just the new dyes, I was referring to it as a means of openly displaying which dyes are possible, including the old, “boring” ones at the point of purchase to reduce some of the complaints from those who don’t get anything special.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Yelena Lucius.3059

Reading this forum on past posts 30 days ago, I am not the only one who feels this way. People are feeling cheated, and they are entitled to their feelings. Lesson learned – I could have just purchased gold instead and bought the colors I wanted on the TP.

Shame, because I will never spend another dollar buying gems again for a “gamble” as you put it, or anything else for that matter.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Empathetic Fighter.2065

Empathetic Fighter.2065

95% percent of the GEM-Shop is money making crap. The rest 5% are the upgrades.

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Iures.2894

Iures.2894

Reading this forum on past posts 30 days ago, I am not the only one who feels this way. People are feeling cheated, and they are entitled to their feelings. Lesson learned – I could have just purchased gold instead and bought the colors I wanted on the TP.

Shame, because I will never spend another dollar buying gems again for a “gamble” as you put it, or anything else for that matter.

Your animosity is based on a misunderstanding of chance and statistics, but okay. . .