Flipping Advice

Flipping Advice

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

I’m trying to practice gaining money by flipping, which is buying something for a low price, and then reselling it at a higher price on the TP, to make a profit. I know about the 20% gold sink rule and whatnot, and I even found a website that showed what items have the best differences between supply and demand to have a nice profit margin.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to do this process more effectively. I can usually place buy orders and get quick results, but sell orders take a lot longer because I get undercut, and I’d lose out on more money if I lowered my prices further. Does anyone have any advice on how to actually get your items sold other than by undercutting? I feel like maybe by being patient my items will end up getting sold even if others do undercut my prices. Any advice or tales of your experience would be very helpful, thank you.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

Flipping Advice

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Calculate your profit margins (and how low you can sell) before going in. Don’t dump all your items at one price (it says X sells by 1 seller), stagger your prices towards the lowest profit margin you’re comfortable with.

Flipping Advice

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lisa.6102

Lisa.6102

lower lvl items seem to sell very quickly

Flipping Advice

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

My advice would be to do the exact same on the New York stock exchange, make a nice profit, take your significant other out for diner and use the spare cash to buy gems. The rules are about the same, it’s just the pay-out that’s slightly different.

Think about it. Flipping requires you to monitor a lot of prices 24 hours out of 24. Would you rather get rich in game or IRL out of perfecting that hobby?

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Flipping Advice

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Hate to break it to you but RL stock markets don’t work like the TP. Commodity market is a bit closer, but even that follows quite a bit different rules.

One – Piken Square

Flipping Advice

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Joe.8142

Joe.8142

Number one flipping rule.

Diversify your gold.

Diversify…..

DIVERSIFY

You can flip basically everything, you just need to DIVERSIFY. More profit, less risk.

Also I tend to stay away from items with ridiculous profit margins, they’re too good to be true in my opinion. Say the top buy offer is 1g and the best sell offer is 4g I wouldn’t bother. Chances are you won’t sell it for 4g and will just be undercut till the end of the world.

Flipping Advice

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ForGreatJustice.3452

ForGreatJustice.3452

Another reason to diversify and start small investing in different items is to test the market for them. You may notice some items change hands rather quickly i.e. crafting materials, low-lvl armors. Others you might move once or twice in a whole day. Figuring out the flow of goods can also determine whether that good’s pacing is worth it to you. Remember your time invested playing has to be factored in. Making 10 gold in one day is nice, but if you had to spend 5 hours doing that… well…

Flipping Advice

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Hell Avenger.7021

Hell Avenger.7021

My advice would be to do the exact same on the New York stock exchange, make a nice profit, take your significant other out for diner and use the spare cash to buy gems. The rules are about the same, it’s just the pay-out that’s slightly different.

Think about it. Flipping requires you to monitor a lot of prices 24 hours out of 24. Would you rather get rich in game or IRL out of perfecting that hobby?

Stock market isn’t as simple as the TP… LOL….

Flipping Advice

in Black Lion Trading Co

ForGreatJustice.3452

Stock market isn’t as simple as the TP… LOL….

If only it were… free hats for all!

Flipping Advice

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Yeah, from what I’ve noticed its best doing smaller transactions and staggering the prices lower to reduce the allure of new competitors in that market.

My only issue with that is now I don’t even think its profitable to buy say a stack of 250 of an item and resell it, because of of competition.

Even now, a market I thought would be extremely profitable just got bust. for a profit of 86 copper or so, I staggered my prices 1 by 1 lower from 1.90 silver to 1.80 silver. Then someone decides to sell 137 of the item for 95 copper. I give up. Back to CoF.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

(edited by nearlight.3064)

Flipping Advice

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Tarvok.4206

Tarvok.4206

Flipping low level crafted stuff is incredibly easy to do, and a good way to get money at the lower levels. Higher levels… it starts to get a bit tedious to manage the sheer number of investments you are capable of making. I never did figure out how to invest at higher values.

This is how it works.

Generally speaking, most players who are crafting low level items are doing so for the skill gain. The sooner they get their cash back, the sooner they can plough it into more materials for more skillgain. Thus, rather than putting in a high offer and getting more money in the short term, they tend to just “sell it now” and move on to the next tier. Thus, there’s constant downward pressure on the highest bid.

Meanwhile, players who are buying crafted materials are generally doing so because they just leveled and want to upgrade their gear. Thus, rather than putting in a low bid and waiting for cheaper gear, they “buy it now”, because, let’s face it. By the time their bid is met, they’re probably already ready for the next tier of gear. Thus, there’s a constant upward pressure on the lowest offer.

Enter the flipper. You’re basically competing to sell time at the lowest price. You can place the higher bids the upgrader can’t. You can place the lower offers the crafter’s won’t. As a result, you make a profit, the buyers can buy at a bit lower a price than they otherwise would, and the crafters sell at a higher price than they otherwise would. Everybody wins.

Flipping Advice

in Black Lion Trading Co

ForGreatJustice.3452

Even now, a market I thought would be extremely profitable just got bust. for a profit of 86 copper or so, I staggered my prices 1 by 1 lower from 1.90 silver to 1.80 silver. Then someone decides to sell 137 of the item for 95 copper. I give up. Back to CoF.

That’s when you, after considering it’s a item that moves rather quickly and the margin is greater than 15% between your sell and theirs, you buy up the undercutters supply and relist it at your higher price.