Flipping with x amount of money

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Black Dragon.3784

Black Dragon.3784

Hello to all you flippers, I would like to know some average figures, so I know how much money to risk a day.
Can anyone give me rough figures of how much you can make on a daily routine with
100g
500g
1000g
PS I have roughly 2400g, how much money do you think I should be risking daily.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

PS I have roughly 2400g, how much money do you think I should be risking daily.

I’m going to address this part specifically:
You should never risk more than you are comfortable losing.

If you would be angry over losing 10g, then 9g should be your risk limit.

Server: Devona’s Rest

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Your average ROI (Return of investment) depends not only on how much money you invest but on how much time you spent in front of the tp. If you just spent 1000g on buy orders for 1 item and get outbid immediately, your profits will be zip, it wouldnt matter, how big the price spread of the item is.

It not advisable to focus all your money on one market but to spread it out. But the more items you are bidding on, the more time it will take to refresh your bids in case you get outbid.

For starters, i would try to focus on not more than 50 items from 3-5 markets. And with markets I mean items that usually are more or less the same, and more importantly, can easily be filtered on the tp to speed up placing orders witohut having to click through several pages of results.

Try to focus on some markets and check your bids every 15/30/60 minutes, depending on market velocity. This will give you a better understanding of howm much people are active on the market. Try to find out, how much buy orders of yours are filled on average, before you get outbid. This will help you to know how much buy orders to list without wasting too much gold. It doesnt make sense to put up 50 buy orders when the average return is 3-5 before getting outbid.

Most items also seem to rise and fall in value depending on the day of the week.

Buy orders for BL weapon skins for example (or any other high value item that alot of hobby investors seem to hold to make a profit) seem to be filled more frequently on a tuesday, when new items to the gem store are introduced and someone wants to cash in to get the newest shiny. And those skins sell faster at the weekend, when more people are online and make impulsive purchases. In general, i wouldnt treat flipping as a daily activity but a weekly one. Most items have at least a 5-20% velocity on sell listings over the course of a week, so dont neccessarily undercut the lowest listing by 1 copper everytime. Sometimes its smarter to sell a little bit above it and most of the time, your item will sell within 1 hour-1 day anyways.

In your case, i would propably start with investing 200-400g, spread about 50 items. Just flip those items for a week, then tally up. You will propably have a hard time figuring out, how much gold you invested into those items and how much profit you made already, if you dont keep spreadsheets or something. But for starters, aim to double your investments within a week. Its way easier to double 100g than its is doubling 1000g.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

“Hobby investors”?

Mmm. Maybe. It still made me chuckle.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

“Hobby investors”?

Mmm. Maybe. It still made me chuckle.

By hobby investors, i mean people that buy BL Weapons during the initial period (when they are available for 1 ticket each) and not 1 month after the prices rise, when prices are usually lower (thats when speculators buy from, you guessed it, hobby speculators, which see the price plummet and panic sell).

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

/always/ leave yourself with some gold. If you spend all but 1 gold to buy items that will sell for a lot, then the price skyrockets, you’re left unable to even sell it. In that case, you can hopefully scrape together enough money to make some profit off it, but you’re better off leaving yourself with enough in the first place.
If you have 2400g invested, I would say you should always keep at least 50g on hand and at least 200g or so of buy orders you can cancel.

when I tried flipping, the % return was usually pretty low, but not as much risk as the initial investment would imply. like around 5-10% per day. meaning you place 2000g worth of buy orders, 200g worth gets filled, you list them and get 300g back = 5% return. but only 200g was actually risked – the other 1800g could be canceled.

maybe I wasn’t doing it right :P the best return I ever got was about a year ago: placed a buy order for one Passiflora Orichalcum Amulet of the Apothecary for 20g, it filled 10 minutes later, listing it for 55g, it sold 20 minutes later, so I got 26g profit in 30 min from 1 min or work (it was literally the only thing I tried to flip that day).