For those still Key Farming

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: nirvana.8245

nirvana.8245

Q:

How are you finding the drop rates? I did 6 runs last night using the crafting/refining to level 10. Only a small sample size, but Im several gold out of pocket. My understanding was tickets/scraps and various other profitable items had a buffed drop rate. But my average from my 6 keys was 1. crafting booster, 2. skill point (tome/scroll) and 3. One dye (not even unidentified).

Going by that, you would be taking a massive loss investing in keys by any means. But did I just have terrible luck? I never had a streak like that pre-patch from around 60 runs. Have chest really been buffed or nerfed?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Kruhljak.2705

Kruhljak.2705

A:

Were they big butts? Cuz I like big butts and I can not lie….

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rogue.7856

Rogue.7856

Nope… they made it 1000% harder to key farm… and chests drops are maybe 10% better… its a complete waste of time now farming keys and buying them still…

GG Alts 09/09/14

Sept 09 patch, killed me and my wife’s alt experience…

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

There are a couple of people who have published data on this on Reddit. They claim to be getting 10 scraps with every 30 chests or less, based on about 500 keys across a bunch of guildies.

6 chests is far too few to attempt to discern any pattern. In fact, 60 runs is too few, so I’m not surprised by your results.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: reconzero.8310

reconzero.8310

Just opened 12 chests, in addition to the useless boosters, I got:
1 endless mystery tonic (animal)
4 BL ticket scraps
1 BL Salvage kit
5 Unidentified dyes
1 dye pack that had useless dyes
2 instant repair canisters
1 transmutation charge
2 merchants (non permanent)
2 bank access (non permanent)
So, all in all, pretty good stuff, IMO. That however, was the last of my keys that I had left from key farming. Promptly got rid of my key farming gear after.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: AngelDiscarnate.5489

AngelDiscarnate.5489

I take the hour or so and heart quest my way.
Of course you’ll lose money crafting to level 10.
And Like Na said, opening 6 chests will show you nothing.
I’ve only done 5 keys since the update, but I feel like I’m getting better stuff.
But then again, I like opening dyes, of which, I’ve gotten 4 unidents and a Dye pack. :]
A level up tome, and a scrap.

I play Fort Aspenwood, I lead the 8 member guild, Sacred Storm [Strm] I am Jason Goes Mental.
I don’t raid, I barely fractal, and I suck beyond words at PvP and WvW.
But I try, and that’s what counts.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: nirvana.8245

nirvana.8245

I take the hour or so and heart quest my way.
Of course you’ll lose money crafting to level 10.
And Like Na said, opening 6 chests will show you nothing.
I’ve only done 5 keys since the update, but I feel like I’m getting better stuff.
But then again, I like opening dyes, of which, I’ve gotten 4 unidents and a Dye pack. :]
A level up tome, and a scrap.

This sounds substantially worse than I was getting before. Considering scrap drop rates pre-patch were 1:3-5. With spending an hour levelling, you could have gotten 3 levels easy just walking around farming mobs on your main which equates to more gold. The dye packs that are in chests are garbage at present and give you 1 dye, most of which sell for only a couple of silver. And whilst the 1.2g you get from 5 (unidentified) x 1 hour key runs might sound good, its really bad when you could be farming alot more gold doing something/almost anything else.

5 and 6 key runs are a terrible sample size, I agree. But I just get this feeling that despite Anet saying they have increased the drop rates on some of the more profitable things in chests and some other players giving some questionable stats (on reddit), I think drop rates or at least what you get from the chests are worse now and stack on top of that the extra time consumption Im think key farming might actually be dead.

Someone please prove me wrong though. I was enjoying some key farming on the side of doing other things

(edited by nirvana.8245)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I’ve only done 2 runs so far. It takes so long to level. I know there are people on the forum saying they can do the whole map of Caledon in 20 minutes or get to level 10 now in 30 minutes but for me it’s taking between 1.5 and 2 hours to get to level 10.

Key running isn’t worth it with those times.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lisa.6102

Lisa.6102

I opened 15 the other night and got
1 Ticket
2 scraps
4 unidentified dyes
some dye kits that netted me about 4G
and the usual boosters
2 craft kits?

in Black Lion Trading Co

AngelDiscarnate.5489

I don’t do my key farming for profit.
I never have.
Money I make off it is just a bonus.
I do it when I want to play and have no guild mates around to do other stuff with, or while my wife’s at work so we’re not at different places in the game.
It’s a relaxation to me.
And I find it better now that the 20 minute runs are over, because at least in having to level to 10 to open personal story, I can make a farmer of any race, with any story and be just as fast as I am still rolling a human commoner. Adds a little variety, y’know? Human was my favorite race, but after key farming for a year and a half, I’m glad to be anything but, and still get it done in a fair time.

I play Fort Aspenwood, I lead the 8 member guild, Sacred Storm [Strm] I am Jason Goes Mental.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Now that key farming is difficult, the market will correct itself. The prices of skins will rise to the point that those who do wish to key farm will profit well.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Yeah. Key farming is definitely not worth it now since you have to be level 10 to do the personal story. It may be worth it in the long term (maybe) but if you’re looking for quick, easy gold then I’d probably do something else.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I have about a dozen starter scrolls that I have no other plans for….can these be burned for quicker access to the BL keys (I get this is not a permanent solution)?

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I have about a dozen starter scrolls that I have no other plans for….can these be burned for quicker access to the BL keys (I get this is not a permanent solution)?

Yes, as they move you up past level 10 (and thus unlock your personal story).

Server: Devona’s Rest

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

I don’t really do key runs, just food for thought, at the current exchange rate 16.34g would buy you a key. So if you can make that or more per hour you might want to rather do that, otherwise continue key runs?

Unless of course as Angel said you are doing it for fun.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I have done it less “for fun” as for something to do between doing other things. Breaking up other activities.

I also here everyone talking about “useless boosters”, and don’t understand that. If you convert them to the enhanced ones (that let you pick what booster you want), I fail to see how they are ever “useless”. I can guarantee that having access to near endless gathering boosters makes every harvesting run more profitable….

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

I don’t do my key farming for profit.
I never have.
Money I make off it is just a bonus.
I do it when I want to play and have no guild mates around to do other stuff with, or while my wife’s at work so we’re not at different places in the game.
It’s a relaxation to me.
And I find it better now that the 20 minute runs are over, because at least in having to level to 10 to open personal story, I can make a farmer of any race, with any story and be just as fast as I am still rolling a human commoner. Adds a little variety, y’know? Human was my favorite race, but after key farming for a year and a half, I’m glad to be anything but, and still get it done in a fair time.

This,
I’ll still be key farming.

a run used to take 40min….now it’ll take 2hours.

But thats ok, only did it when I wasnt sure what I wanted to do anyway.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Kruhljak.2705

Kruhljak.2705

I’ve done two key runs since the patch. Both took me just a bit less than 90 minutes doing so casually—not the old rabid speed first method. By that measure, the run is roughly 3 times as “hard”.

Are the BLC drops 3 times as good? … No, but they seem slightly better in my small sample, and scraps appear much better at 1:2 chests as opposed to previous numbers in the 1:4-5 range. This could easily be some rare luck, though.

I held over 19 keys from pre-patch, and with the other two (plus 1 BLK from the first chest) I ended up with—ignoring the more trivial stuff:

1 black lion key
2 black lion salvage kits
1 dye pack
6 unidentified dyes (4 singles, 1 double)
1 lion’s arch survivor dye pack (out of which I got a normal rare, which is lucky enough)
1 mini marjory delaqua
1 mini mai trin
11 black lion ticket scraps

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nutjob.9021

Nutjob.9021

On the one hand, ANet may make more money because some people that farm keys or buy things produced by key farmers will choose to part with cash instead of gold to buy gems to buy keys. However, I think that people that are willing to put in 20 to 30 minutes of game time to save a few bucks are too frugal to do this. They will either forget about chests or use gold, not real life cash.

On the other hand ANet may lose money because in my opinion the main reason people choose the deluxe version of the game (more expensive) over the regular version is for the bank golem that is so well suited to key farming. Without that incentive, why pay extra? Prior to this nerf, I wished I had bought the deluxe version instead, but now I am glad I did not.

I made one key run. It took over an hour. I could have made that shorter by buying crafting supplies to level the character, but I’m not going that route.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

i bought 25 keys because i was curious and got butts for my trouble. i also learned why people were not very happy with those exclusive dye packs (because they dont give any guarantee of actually getting an exclusive dye)

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

in Black Lion Trading Co

AngelDiscarnate.5489

Sir Mixalot FTW.
:3

Opened a pair of chests today.
Self style kit and a knowledge tome from one and a mini Caithe and a repair canister from the other.
I am noticing I am pulling better stuff regularly compared to before and my 82 chest ‘bad luck’ streak to get a claim ticket.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: azzura.9724

azzura.9724

Here is my crappy haul from 25 keys – NOT WORTH BUYING KEYS
I so regret paying $28 for total crap

1 Metabolic Primer
1 Toxic Dye Kit – Uncommon Heirloom Dye (had it)
1 Lions Arch Dye Kit – Common Lime Breeze
1 Deathly Dye Kit – Rare – Cocoa Dye
9 Unident Dyes – Got 2 meh rares
2 Boxes of Fun
16 Boost Enchantment Powder
5 Black Lion SCRAPS
2 Black Lion Keys
1 Communal Bonefire
5 Custom Arena Time Tokens
3 Large Guild Discovery
5 Transmutation Charges
1 Tome of Knowledge
1 Medium Crafting Bag
5 Lion’s Arch Salvage Kits

6 Strength Boosters
3 XP Bosters
5 Magic Find Boosters
1 Gather Booster
2 Crafting Booster
1 WvW XP Booster
1 Armor Booster
1 Rejuvination Booster
3 Speed Boosters

5 Trading Post Express
2 Merchant Express
3 Bank Access
2 Instant Repair
1 Revive Orb

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Because 2 1/2 tickets out of 25 keys is crap, right? That’s 150g for two chaos skins. 3g for the dyes.

And you mean Black Lion Salvage Kits right?

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Because 2 1/2 tickets out of 25 keys is crap, right? That’s 150g for two chaos skins. 3g for the dyes.

And you mean Black Lion Salvage Kits right?

he got .5 tickets.
he said 2 black lion keys not tickets.

however, in my expereince its like 1/4-1/5 before, for scraps, so its pretty normal, and normal is pretty poor return unless you are lucky.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Sorry, my fault for speed posting.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes