Gem Store: Mining Picks/Axes/etc. worth it?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lodius.5392

Lodius.5392

My question is… are purchasing the Gem Store gathering tools worth it?

My theory:
For example, Mining Picks from the Gem Store, cost 1000 gems to buy. 100 gems sale for 9.29 Gold (As of 7/30/14 at 10AM EST….)

This equates to 92.90 gold for converting all 1000 gems for gold.

An Orichalcum Mining Pick costs 4 silver.

1 Infinite mining pick would be equivalent to buying 2,322 Orichalcum Mining Picks.

2,322 Orichalcum Mining Picks will net you 232,200 gathers. (100 each).

So …. is spending 1000 gems on an infinite mining pick really worth it?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Unlimited picks are not purchased for financial reasons. They are purchased for the convenience of never having to buy or swap tools ever again.

Best items in the gemstore, honestly.

Server: Devona’s Rest

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: HyruleanHyroe.1473

HyruleanHyroe.1473

Second that. If you’re looking to make money off of them, you’re SOL. I, however, LOVE my set and have never regretted buying them. Especially since they were made account-bound, because now I can just transfer them to whatever character I’m leveling at the time. They are so convenient.

I have a “band”, Beatiatrician: http://youtu.be/zw_Sl-El8_I

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Gaebriel.3754

Gaebriel.3754

It’s not worth it for me, I rather buy some gathering tools once in a while, they’re sold at like every vendor. I prefer to use my gems on fashion haha, especially now that they’re account wide skin unlocks.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

I bought the first ever unlimited tool released and I still have not recouped the costs.

But since it has allowed me to have the piece of mind that I will never have to buy another pick again, it’s worth it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The watchwork mining pick is, however, potential a profit maker, due to the rate at which sprockets drop and their current value. If those numbers hold, it would take 3-6 months to break-even if you farm a lot (200 “whacks”/day, the equivalent of about 20 rich veins/day).

I get bored mining that often, so it’s still a convenience item for me (just one that isn’t quite as expensive as the others).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

It’s worth it convenience wise, especially if you do a lot of farming. It’s also worth it if you only buy the karma orichalcum tools and are trying to save karma. (And the one for the karma orichalcum pick is a bit of a pain to do since it’s only sold by an event merchant. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Lionguard_Demolitionist_Varrv)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: xbutcherx.3861

xbutcherx.3861

I bought those before they made them Account bound, I have 2 soulbound but I know there is a NPC that can convert them into account bound. Does anyone know where the NPC is?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: xbutcherx.3861

xbutcherx.3861

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

You can easily break even after 3 months on the watchwork pick by spending 10-15 a day node farming.

Don’t buy a tool that provides zero bonus item.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

For me, they’re absolutely worth it. I’m one of those that cannot ignore a gathering node. And I always kept running out of my tools or gathering with the wrong ones (the normal ones do have a level requirement…)

I’m still waiting for a new set to show up….

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

You never have to buy another of that tool again.

No need to carry spares.

It takes no inventory slot.

No chance of ruined materials due to the wrong tool.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Eric.6109

Eric.6109

They are worth it because of the convenience factor, not because of “how fast you can break even”. I’m only sorry I missed the logging and mining tool.

I would also like an improved salvage-o-matic (something better than the basic kit. Maybe journeyman?).

a.net: I will not be buying gems with cash until you fix traits.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

They are worth it because of the convenience factor, not because of “how fast you can break even”. I’m only sorry I missed the logging and mining tool.

I would also like an improved salvage-o-matic (something better than the basic kit. Maybe journeyman?).

I dont know why anybody would use a fine or journeyman salvage kit, or which item would warrant a higher profit per salvage by using a journeyman kit over a basic kit (salvage o moatic) or master kit.
Personally, i only use 2 kinds, my salvage o matic or master kits, depending if i salvage for basic mats or ectos/upgrade components.

The chance to recover rarer mats is bugged anyways.
A SOM that costs 30c per use and has the stats of a journeyman kit, i would never buy compared to a SOM that has the stats of a master kit and costs 60c per use.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

As the others have said, there’s two main reasons why you’d want to buy one of the unlimited tools:

1. Convenience. Once you have one, you never have to bother about replacing the tool ever again, or (if you’re a real penny pincher) switching out different tools of different tiers when you go between maps. The hassle this saves you can be immeasurable.

2. Aesthetics. Some of the tools might be “perfect” for your character concept. You might have a CoF armor wearing Charr using fiery weapons and who now has a fiery mining pick to match, for example. This is of a distant secondary concern to me, but it may mean a lot to another player for whom looks are paramount.

Now, that said, there is one anomalous tool called the Watchwork Mining Pick. This one has an approximate 20% chance to give you a Watchwork Sprocket with each mining strike. The Sprockets themselves sell for about 3+ silver (I sold another stack of 250 for 3.5 silver each just last night. Made almost 7.5g from it), and due to my playstyle, I harvest a LOT on any given day. I’ve already earned enough sprockets since the time I bought them to pay for almost 2 Watchwork Picks by now; the characters with these tools are now basically making 3+ silver for me every time they get a Sprocket.

If your playstyle is like mine, the Watchwork Pick can be a real moneymaker, but if you’re not much of a farmer, then you won’t really see much of a profit from it.

The Watchwork Pick also means that there is every possibility that new logging axes or sickles may be released that have additional bonuses too, so you may want to keep that in mind when making the choice to buy one of the existing unlimited tools.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

The Watchwork Pick also means that there is every possibility that new logging axes or sickles may be released that have additional bonuses too, so you may want to keep that in mind when making the choice to buy one of the existing unlimited tools.

This. All other unlimited picks give you convenience, but loses you money (in the cost). The watchwork pick gives you convenience and makes you money.

Don’t buy unlimited tools unless they give a bonus because you will kick yourself when the next tool that’s released does give a bonus.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

No need to carry spares.

but..if you play alot of alts, you have to switch it between them, which gets annoying fast.

tbh OP, only the watchwork one is worth it.
They’d be more worthwhile if I didn’t need to stop at a bank when I switch alts.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

I bought most of them at 1/3 the price you list (800 gems, and cheaper gems then 30g for 800gem back then). Where they worth it at that price? definitely. The hassle alone of having either getting your inventory to fast full (with picks or loot or mix of both), you win time and money. With some price spikes on platinum ore, gold ore, iron ore, you get more money out of them, i think i payed at least 3x full set off by now if it isn’t even more, from farming materials.

The consortium sickle imo is also very worth having because, of the extra speed it gives. When there’s multiple plants make a lot of difference (time win). Also much harder to be interrupted by mobs or players (wvw).

The wood one could be questionable if it’s interesting BUT recent increase in wood prices, might also make it interesting. I like it at least.

Only thing that i hate now is I have 6x Molten pick that is kinda useless. (I favor my watchwork pick now of course).I could have asked refund, but clearly I missed the deadline. Guess i’ll stock some chars at a rich node, with the molten pick, to at least get some luxury out of it.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

(edited by Phoebe Ascension.8437)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

Currently about 125 gold to avoid buying some cheap items and equipping them.

I hardly ever even use the regular stuff since they took it out from the dailies. No reason to really gather. I wanted them when they first released but now I definitely wouldn’t get them, even if I had the 375 gold to spare.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I hardly ever even use the regular stuff since they took it out from the dailies. No reason to really gather. I wanted them when they first released but now I definitely wouldn’t get them, even if I had the 375 gold to spare.

Daily Gatherer is still in there. It was being cycled out for a while, but it has been there every day for some time now.

Server: Devona’s Rest

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

Daily Gatherer is still in there. It was being cycled out for a while, but it has been there every day for some time now.

Yeah but not every day like it used to be, and now it seems to be easier to get dailies without running to nodes.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

No need to carry spares.

but..if you play alot of alts, you have to switch it between them, which gets annoying fast.

They’d be more worthwhile if I didn’t need to stop at a bank when I switch alts.

Sorry, I don’t think parking my characters at a bank when I log off an inconvenience. Also I play characters in bursts and not alternate them during the play session. The tool is just too useful not to take the 2 minutes to transfer them.

Would an “Account” bag be useful, sure, but that’s not the topic, the topic is “are they worth it” and now after having one for a month I have to say, enthusiastically, yes. It’s like cruise control and an automatic transmission. Once you have them, you can’t imagine living without them. It’s one less thing to worry about.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

No need to carry spares.

Sorry, I don’t think parking my characters at a bank when I log off an inconvenience. Also I play characters in bursts and not alternate them during the play session. The tool is just too useful not to take the 2 minutes to transfer them.

Would an “Account” bag be useful, sure, but that’s not the topic, the topic is “are they worth it” and now after having one for a month I have to say, enthusiastically, yes. It’s like cruise control and an automatic transmission. Once you have them, you can’t imagine living without them. It’s one less thing to worry about.

I switch my characters alot in a play session. I have crafts on different characters for one.
Sometimes I play an alt for 20min, sometimes an hour, sometimes 5min, to constantly stop at the bank before and after switching, it’s annoying, and takes too long.

And because of this, most of the time I just use ori tools on all the chars. I’d pay a premium for them to be unlocked on all characters. (but not 1000gems PER char, for me and alot of people, they are not very convenient this way. )