Gem to Gold Converstion Rates

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Gaviston Hawkington.9647

Gaviston Hawkington.9647

if this has been asked before I could not find it on the forums. Has anyone from Anet ever explained why BUY/SELL price for GEMS is not equivalent? If someone is willing to pay 8 gold for 100 GEMS then, shouldn’t I be able to sell 100 GEMS for 8 gold?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

Gold to gem exchanges usually spike when new items are added to the gem store. If the rates were identical, a player could buy gems with gold on Monday, then sell them back on Tuesday at a much higher rate and make tons of gold for nothing. The 30% difference in rates prevents this from being a trick to get free money.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Xabu.3754

Xabu.3754

Presumably they don’t want people speculating on gems and/or trying to manipulate the gem market.

Sent with love from the lush Maguuma jungle.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

/sigh

The difference in the rates is meant to curb day traders like me from treating Gold and Gems like a real world exchange. In a small, close economy like GW2, it would be too easy to manipulate a currency market without these barriers in place.

Good lord, did I just say that out loud?

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Omnitek.3876

Omnitek.3876

/sigh

The difference in the rates is meant to curb day traders like me from treating Gold and Gems like a real world exchange. In a small, close economy like GW2, it would be too easy to manipulate a currency market without these barriers in place.

Could you imagine how rich we could be right now? Oh my…. It would be a fun ride.

A L T S
Skritt Happens

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

if this has been asked before I could not find it on the forums. Has anyone from Anet ever explained why BUY/SELL price for GEMS is not equivalent? If someone is willing to pay 8 gold for 100 GEMS then, shouldn’t I be able to sell 100 GEMS for 8 gold?

this is to prevent gems market manipulation.

everytime you purchase gems using gold, their immediate resale value is at 70% ofthat price. so if you’re stocking gems with a view to resell, you’ll have to wait a loooong time, for the resale price to go beyond the price you purchased….

i hope you understand what i explain. english no mamatounge.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

/sigh

Could you imagine how rich we could be right now? Oh my…. It would be a fun ride.

At least until everybody catches on and the resulting inflation drives the economy straight into the gutter.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Omnitek.3876

Omnitek.3876

/sigh

At least until everybody catches on and the resulting inflation drives the economy straight into the gutter.

By then, I would have cashed out and be living large on my own island, sleeping on a bed of legendaries!

A L T S
Skritt Happens