Give us authentic East Asian weapons?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mouhappai.5406

Mouhappai.5406

So we have been given the overrated katana loved by every weeaboo on this planet. How about giving us its lesser known sister sword as an alternative for those who want nice looking weapons but do not want to be associated with weeaboos?

Here’s a picture of an early development of the Chinese ring-pommel blade:
http://www.izhsh.com.cn/sfile/images/Topics/%E4%B8%89%E5%9B%BD/%E5%85%B5%E5%99%A8/%E6%B1%89%E7%8E%AF%E9%A6%96%E5%88%80.jpg

and in later dynasties with better technology and craftsmanship:
http://a0.att.hudong.com/77/04/01000000000000119090468117577.jpg

This single-edged straight blade was eventually presented to a young Japan as a gift of goodwill, which gave rise to the design of the katana. Also blades like this are carried on the waist, not strapped on the back:
http://a.hiphotos.baidu.com/baike/c0%3Dbaike150%2C5%2C5%2C150%2C50/sign=c8c28dc231adcbef15397654cdc645b8/3b292df5e0fe9925a451dd5634a85edf8db17152.jpg

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

(edited by locoman.1974)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Pibriamal.8719

Pibriamal.8719

That “overrated Katana” is actually an odachi, if you want to be authentic. Japan is part of East Asia too. Just cause it’s Japanese doesn’t mean it’s only for weeaboos. And Belinda’s sword is actually very well designed.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mouhappai.5406

Mouhappai.5406

I never said it was badly designed, just overrated. And of course Japan is part of East Asia, but besides that, it doesn’t seem like anyone cares what else is in East Asia, if you get what I mean. So right, it’s really cool that you know the difference between an odachi and that “overrated Katana”. How about some input on the ring-pommel blade? Or some knowledge about non-Japanese Asian weaponry?

P.S I canceled the word “more” from the thread title by accident, since the previous title was too long. I’m not saying that “overrated Katana” isn’t East Asian in origin.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Pibriamal.8719

Pibriamal.8719

As for “non-Japanese” weaponry, sure the Chinese ring-pommel would be nice. But the origin doesn’t really matter. It’s pretty much the same in design. We Asians love to copy each other (and then try to claim that we did it first). Either way, in game it’ll end up being Canthan. With the game in China, I’m sure you can expect more Asian-influenced items coming up. Maybe the Delaqua family will be our link to Cantha in the future.

(edited by Moderator)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zomaarwat.3912

Zomaarwat.3912

Gib lightsaber nao pls

Over a year and the forum search is still broken = /

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Maliel.8362

Maliel.8362

Gib lightsaber nao pls

We kinda have one, it´s called infinite light.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

uhmmm, i have a question only Anet can answer.
why did you never add this weapon in GW2 yet it’s something for EotN pre-purchase customers?
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Glacial_Blade

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Facepunch.5710

Facepunch.5710

If you were ANet and wanted to make some bucks in the gemstore, would you sell a weapon skin that has already passed “The Weeaboo Test” and is universally loved, or would you risk design time on a ring-pommel blade or some other whosywhatsit?

Please take your tinfoil hats off and be reasonable. ~ReginaB
This forum is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. ~DevilLordLaser

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

Please give us a fan focus and ninja swords too!

Attachments:

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

the one thing i am missing is a good running animation, i have a thief sylvari because i wanted to make one that can blend in natural environments but the run is as if she needs to pee all the time >_<