How does MF influence gold generation ?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

If you were someone who sold everything they found to the vendor, would a higher MF give you a better income or not ?

I’m asking out of curiosity. Speculation on if it would be better to have gold creation potential* go up or down with higher MF could also be interesting to read.

*Trading with another player isn’t generating any gold, just shifting it around. Trading via the TP or currency exchange destroys gold. Gold is only created when the game puts it straight into your inventory, or when you sell something to a vendor. For example, while a Charged Lodestone sells for 3.5 gold, it can only generate 48 copper because that’s how low the vendor value is.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: The Blue Ace.2850

The Blue Ace.2850

If you were someone who sold everything they found to the vendor, would a higher MF give you a better income or not ?

I’m asking out of curiosity. Speculation on if it would be better to have gold creation potential* go up or down with higher MF could also be interesting to read.

*Trading with another player isn’t generating any gold, just shifting it around. Trading via the TP or currency exchange destroys gold. Gold is only created when the game puts it straight into your inventory, or when you sell something to a vendor. For example, while a Charged Lodestone sells for 3.5 gold, it can only generate 48 copper because that’s how low the vendor value is.

Charged lodestones should of been reduced months ago through more ways to get lodestones or token exchange, arena.net are probably too busy fixing the dungeons to do anything or don’t even know about it, but they need to know how badly this item is being manipulated. How do they expect casual players to get 400 gold to pay for 100 of these things?! Thats more than the precursor its needed for!

The people that say the lodestones are fine are either bots/market manipulates or already have their legendary before the prices shot up.

Attachments:

(edited by The Blue Ace.2850)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Tarvok.4206

Tarvok.4206

I’m assuming you mean “magic find”. I’m guessing there would be a very, very marginal increase in the gold supply if you vendored all items with higher MF than if you vendored all items with lower MF.

Not really sure The Blue Ace’s kittening about lodestone availability has to do with your question, so I may not understand the question…

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

I’m assuming you mean “magic find”. I’m guessing there would be a very, very marginal increase in the gold supply if you vendored all items with higher MF than if you vendored all items with lower MF.

But that would mean that, as the average MF of players increases, so does the inflation rate. Having gold generation remain constant as MF goes up means that the inflation rate remains constant, which would be good for players without MF. In both cases, once you factor in the TP, players with higher MF would generate less gold because they find more items worth selling.

Having gold generation go down would produce the interesting scenario where, if the zone you’re farming in has no valuable drops on it’s loot table, then MF is a bad idea.

Not really sure The Blue Ace’s kittening about lodestone availability has to do with your question, so I may not understand the question…

Nor am I. He’s far to fixated on the TP value of the Lodestone, when this thread is only talking about the vendor value.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Charged lodestones should of been reduced months ago through more ways to get lodestones or token exchange, arena.net are probably too busy fixing the dungeons to do anything or don’t even know about it, but they need to know how badly this item is being manipulated. How do they expect casual players to get 400 gold to pay for 100 of these things?! Thats more than the precursor its needed for!

The people that say the lodestones are fine are either bots/market manipulates or already have their legendary before the prices shot up.

Except you don’t need a legendary. You want a legendary. Therefore, it should be a goal that’s hard and makes you work for it. I feel like all the methods of skipping working and simply buying into a legendary (even straight up buying the legendary) devalues the legendaries and makes it “look at my shiny weapon” instead of “look at how hard I worked”.

Semi-off-topic: I have a sword collection. In my sword collection are 7 exotic swords. I have no wish to include Bolt inside that collection. Sure, I have some items going towards making a legendary, but I’m only doing that as a very minor side-thing going on. I’m mostly working on gearing myself (even more) and just having fun.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Tarvok.4206

Tarvok.4206

Well, Magic Find raising inflation rates really depends on what players are actually doing with their drops. There are three different options:

1. Sell it on the Trading Post
2. Vendor it
3. Salvage it for materials

Obviously, the first isn’t really an option if the supply of that particular drop is larger than the community can absorb, but when it is, selling on the TP has two effects: first, the additional supply drives down the price of that particular item. Second, the demand for competing goods drops, so it can have the effect of lowering the prices for a whole class of goods. Third, transaction costs remove gold from the economy.

The second option adds gold to the economy.

The third increases the supply of materials, thus lowering the price of both materials and things made from those materials. The sale thereof removes gold from the economy.

I am thinking that the kinds of things one finds more often with a higher MF score are the kinds of things that can actually command a higher price on the TP than with vendors. So if we’re assuming perfect information, higher MF could actually reduce the gold in the economy, and increase the supply of such items.

However, I could be wrong, and the goods found more often with high MF are also things that can only be vendored or salvaged. Additionally, it could also be that a large number of players prefer vendoring to selling on the TP (even if going to the TP gets them a few more copper), for whatever reason, which would also have MF increase the gold in the economy.

So there are two questions to be answered: do the things found with MF tend to be more tradeable than things that are found without it? How often to players vendor a thing that could be sold on the TP for more? The answer to those questions are necessary to come up with an answer to your own question of whether magic find is a gold maker or not.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: The Blue Ace.2850

The Blue Ace.2850

Except you don’t need a legendary. You want a legendary. Therefore, it should be a goal that’s hard and makes you work for it. I feel like all the methods of skipping working and simply buying into a legendary (even straight up buying the legendary) devalues the legendaries and makes it “look at my shiny weapon” instead of “look at how hard I worked”.

Semi-off-topic: I have a sword collection. In my sword collection are 7 exotic swords. I have no wish to include Bolt inside that collection. Sure, I have some items going towards making a legendary, but I’m only doing that as a very minor side-thing going on. I’m mostly working on gearing myself (even more) and just having fun.

Say that again after putting 100 hours into farming charged lodestones. I dare you.
If you’ve not tried getting charged lodestones yourself, you have no right telling me that getting charged lodestones at the moment isn’t enough “work”.

Your probably another player who got his swords before the prices hit the roof.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Say that again after putting 100 hours into farming charged lodestones. I dare you.
If you’ve not tried getting charged lodestones yourself, you have no right telling me that getting charged lodestones at the moment isn’t enough “work”.

Your probably another player who got his swords before the prices hit the roof.

Actually, I’ve been merching off of Charged Lodestones for quite some time. All my swords, I’ve gotten WITHOUT accessing the TP.