How in the world do you people have money

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Araska.9370

Araska.9370

I have been a very active player of this game since the early access days, yet I don’t think I’ve ever had more than maybe 20g at any time. I put literally everything I find on the TP, and instead of selling it to the highest buyer I match the lowest seller. Back when raising crafting was a good way to make money I got 2 things up to 400 just from parts I owned and still somehow lost money afterwards. People said to do dungeons to get chests to sell the contents of, and well, I’ve never once found an Exotic from anywhere. Someone told me that lodestone farming might do it, I checked and saw that some were going for around 2 gold, after a single day of probably only getting 2 in total, their priced went down to 30 silver. I farmed up BLKeys to try to get Claim Tickets or something else valuable but instead of tickets I think I have 5 scraps built up over maybe 100 keys. I know there must be other people out there with kittenty luck but have made things work anyway, so I know I’m missing something, but I don’t know what. What am I missing here?

somehow i just know this is all kormirs fault

(edited by Araska.9370)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

buy skins the day they come out, sit on them, sell them, your welcome

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Raistlan.3604

Raistlan.3604

I’ve never once found an Exotic from anywhere.

Odd, have you built up any magic find at all, or have you not salvaged items since they added Luck?

I get Exotics occasionally, and I have only stepped foot in a dungeon once.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Araska.9370

Is there a way to get skins outside of getting tickets in a BLChest? Cause like I said, I’ve gotten 5 scraps.
If you mean buy one of the TP, I know that’s a good idea, but I’m about 1/4 of the way to a Tormented.

I’ve never once found an Exotic from anywhere.

Odd, have you built up any magic find at all, or have you not salvaged items since they added Luck?

I get Exotics occasionally, and I have only stepped foot in a dungeon once.

For a looong time I had 220%+, birthday booster and food included.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

farm money? There’s a train in frostgauge sounds. Obviously there are better ways. But 7 gold an hour isn’t bad.

But if you spend 10 hours farming it you’ll be 70 gold richer already. Some guy farmed 10 legendary without playing the TP. It is simple. Just farm money.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Araska.9370

farm money? There’s a train in frostgauge sounds. Obviously there are better ways. But 7 gold an hour isn’t bad.

But if you spend 10 hours farming it you’ll be 70 gold richer already. Some guy farmed 10 legendary without playing the TP. It is simple. Just farm money.

Maybe on your server. I’ve heard of it, and have tried to get in there myself, but it always seems dead unless Jormag is around.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

I’ve always been a PvE fan in other MMOs. So I do dungeons. It’s what I choose to do for fun, and provides more than sufficient income for anything I need in the game – especially after playing them playing for months now and acquiring specific recipes from them which allow further profit.

Of course, I’m not suggesting players do dungeons for money if they don’t enjoy them. If you are going to grind through a task you don’t enjoy for the carrot at the end, Trading Post PvP is the way to go – hundreds and maybe thousands of gold per week.

Something open world player’s can do is kill world bosses. This link will redirect you to a site where you can choose your server, and it will tell you status on bosses. They are often extremely easy, apart from Tequatl and 3-Headed Wurm, and they always give a guarenteed rare, plus a high chance of other rare/exotics from the boss chest that will spawn.

Is there a way to get skins outside of getting tickets in a BLChest? Cause like I said, I’ve gotten 5 scraps.
If you mean buy one of the TP, I know that’s a good idea, but I’m about 1/4 of the way to a Tormented.

These black lion ticket skins are usually not available on the TP for a few hours after release. I was talking to a friend today who purchased 100 Lovestruck Greatswords almost immediately after they were available on the TP for ~25g each from people who did not know value. He later sold them for ~70g each. You could do the same with just 1 skin next time one is released.. It’s a brilliant ROI for almost 0 effort.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

Maybe on your server. I’ve heard of it, and have tried to get in there myself, but it always seems dead unless Jormag is around.

guest on blackgate for NA. I’m not sure what server EU people do.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Are you putting stuff on the TP when it’s worth something or just as you get it? That’s a HUGE part of why you have no money as a farmer.

Example: Mithril usually hovers at around 25-30c but has gone up to 80c. Of course you make no money dumping mithril at 25c.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Araska.9370

Are you putting stuff on the TP when it’s worth something or just as you get it? That’s a HUGE part of why you have no money as a farmer.

Example: Mithril usually hovers at around 25-30c but has gone up to 80c. Of course you make no money dumping mithril at 25c.

No, I keep all the crafting materials I find.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Obtena.7952

That’s also a problem … you’re not going to make much money selling JUST your salvageable gear from farming either.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: RemiRome.8495

RemiRome.8495

Example: Mithril usually hovers at around 25-30c but has gone up to 80c.

75c during the absolute peak of the snowflake saga according to spidy.

Not exactly the thing to hope for.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

You should be doing metaevent trains on reset at the minimum to get gold. I don’t know what the rate is, but it’s better than what you have now

There are more legit farms out there, but I’m selfish and need to protect the value of gold/items

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Shonie.5297

Shonie.5297

Not the best way to make gold or anything… but if you have a watchwork pick, just check the TP to see what ore is selling for the most, and run around appropriate zones gathering ore to sell. You could look up where the rich ore veins are on sites to get even more ore. Can refine it into ingots if you have crafting.
Without watchwork pick, having the right mining pick isn’t too expensive. Can easily make a few gold per hour this way. And it’s not as boring as champ train farming, to me anyways. Running around zones looking for ore isn’t so bad.

~Tarnished Coast~

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: cranked.3812

cranked.3812

I don’t see how you aren’t making money. I don’t play the TP or farm anything like champ trains. I will do world boss rotations here and there and some dungeons. Gold is the easiest thing to come by in this game.

Harvest everything you run by, especially in mid-high level zones.

Doing 3 of the easiest dungeon paths will get you around 6 gold with selling everything you get from the runs.

If you have kept all the crafting mats that you have gathered, clearing out your bank will probably net you some good coin. Lots of mid level mats are worth a good amount plus all the t6 stuff is up in price lately. If you don’t care about crafting, no reason to save all those mats.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Shufflepants.9785

Shufflepants.9785

The trick is to play the game, and don’t buy anything. Gold will accumulate.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

WPing all day is a wonderful way to waste money. So is dying frequently so you have to pay for repair. Big red rings, don’t stand in them.

You can’t plant yourself and wail on them and hope to survive. Most nasty things will telegraph a major attack even if the attack doesn’t have red rings. Avoid them.

Don’t use the TP as a vendor. Spend a moment or two of time and put up a sales order, you make more money that way, even if all you do is split the difference or simply undercut by a few copper.

Sounds like you are simply spending most of the money you get from events on getting to and patching up after those events. I’m soloing and making a couple gold an hour from gathering, doing DEs, the occasional champ (not a train) simply being smart about selling on the TP.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

I always have a steady stream of gold on hand. What I do:

1, buy limited run non account bound items (ex Karka minis)
2, keep everything I farms selling it only when it spikes for some reason, so if I need to craft anything I always have the mats
3, basic kits for all salvaging except Rares, which I use mystics
4, sell exotics above 2g, salvage ones below with the odd BL kit I have laying around
5, as many world bosses as I can every day
6, chains like melandru, with zergs, which scale up lots of mobs, much more opportunity for wealth than boss chests themselves.

I rarely do dungeons, never do fractals, WvW once in a while when I am running low on badges.

For me, 6 is probably the most important if you aren’t doing heavy trading. More kills, more loot.

My methods may not be the best, but I have crafted 4 legendaries (sold one) and only dungeon tokens would hold me back from making another at any time.

I have world completion 3 times and 10 level 80’s over about 4500 hours.

While waiting for Tequatl, I usually run a boss chain in Sparkfly to keep my drops-per-minute up

If you are running with a Zerg, do research to learn how to get the highest possible kill count. Sometimes Blackgate Zerg is too big and it’s easier to get kills on a mid sized server like Crystal Desert.

Good luck!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

Here’s another option. Create a new character, preferably a Mesmer and not a Charr or Norn. Use the levelling up scroll to get them up to level 20. This character has two jobs, getting to jumping puzzles and completing jumping puzzles. Every JP chest at this level has about a 1 in 4 chance of dropping a silver doubloon, which trades for a couple of gold.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Vol.7601

Here’s another option. Create a new character, preferably a Mesmer and not a Charr or Norn. Use the levelling up scroll to get them up to level 20. This character has two jobs, getting to jumping puzzles and completing jumping puzzles. Every JP chest at this level has about a 1 in 4 chance of dropping a silver doubloon, which trades for a couple of gold.

Alternatively, you can chain run these characters to farm iron ore (especially rich nodes) which are guaranteed income of 26s every day, at the minimum per rich node.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Risingashes.8694

Risingashes.8694

I hear this 20g thing a lot.

It just isn’t a reasonable statement. 20g can easily be gotten with 1 day via multiple different avenues. They aren’t secrets, you don’t need guides, they’re publicly available activities.

Yet people keep making threads or posting replies to money making threads about how they’ve been ‘playing since day one’ and have ‘20g to their name’. It’s pandering self flagellation.

The issue is not with earning money, it’s a spending problem. GW2 is unique in that endgame stats can be gotten with the minimalist of effort. Running 30 dungeons should kit your character out completely, we’ve all done it. Spread it extremely casually and do 1 per day and within a month you never need another item.

No other MMO does such a thing. Yet people still come here and cry poor, as if they’re missing some tool that the elites are keeping from them.

Just stop spending your money. Don’t buy the useless skin, ignore the instrument, all of those mini pets in your bank- pick your 3 favorites and sell the rest. Limit yourself to things which are necessary or that bring you actual joy and you’ll never be poor. Act like you need to ‘catch them all’ with vanity items and of course you only have 20g- you’re wasting your money on trivialities, you’re living above your means.

Once you have enough money that it’s earning you 20g per day, then you can be frivolous, but if you get to that point you likely wont want to be.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Otokomae.9356

Otokomae.9356

Bakuon/Bakuon Thief [MAS]/ ex-[ATac]

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: RlyOsim.2497

RlyOsim.2497

guest on blackgate for NA. I’m not sure what server EU people do.

desolation for eu

The Ghost of Christmas Past

in Black Lion Trading Co

Obtena.7952

Example: Mithril usually hovers at around 25-30c but has gone up to 80c.

75c during the absolute peak of the snowflake saga according to spidy.

Not exactly the thing to hope for.

You don’t need hope, you need patience. Perhaps my numbers were a bit off (Mithril has done this a few times) but the example is still valid. If you farm and wait for the right time to sell, you make quite a bit of money. If you just dump stuff at the end of every farming session, that’s just a bad idea. The idea here is simple … everything has ups and downs and spidy is an excellent record of historical value. Just pay attention to them and act accordingly.

Obviously this won’t work for the OP … he’s not selling his crafting mats but in that case, farming isn’t a profit making activity. Outside of farming, the most money I have made is simple Champ train.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

Just stop spending your money

Basically, this. Unless you’re being particularly useless (standing around Lion’s Arch etc) it’s really, really easy to make a couple gold an hour, even if all you are doing is hitting world trash mobs and occasionally swinging a harvesting tool at whatever is nearby.

An hour a day 3 days a week is 6 gold a week without trying very hard; if you’ve played at least that much since around launch you’d have brought in around 500 gold.

So if you’ve never seen 20 gold at once, either you’re doing much, much worse than some guy wandering around mid level zones hitting whatever he comes across, or you’re spending your money as fast as you can get it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lankybird.8149

Lankybird.8149

I always have a steady stream of gold on hand. What I do:

1, buy limited run non account bound items (ex Karka minis)
2, keep everything I farms selling it only when it spikes for some reason, so if I need to craft anything I always have the mats
3, basic kits for all salvaging except Rares, which I use mystics
4, sell exotics above 2g, salvage ones below with the odd BL kit I have laying around
5, as many world bosses as I can every day
6, chains like melandru, with zergs, which scale up lots of mobs, much more opportunity for wealth than boss chests themselves.

I rarely do dungeons, never do fractals, WvW once in a while when I am running low on badges.

For me, 6 is probably the most important if you aren’t doing heavy trading. More kills, more loot.

My methods may not be the best, but I have crafted 4 legendaries (sold one) and only dungeon tokens would hold me back from making another at any time.

I have world completion 3 times and 10 level 80’s over about 4500 hours.

While waiting for Tequatl, I usually run a boss chain in Sparkfly to keep my drops-per-minute up

If you are running with a Zerg, do research to learn how to get the highest possible kill count. Sometimes Blackgate Zerg is too big and it’s easier to get kills on a mid sized server like Crystal Desert.

Good luck!

Let me save your life.
Mystic Forge -> First three tier salvage Kit and a mystic forge stone = best salvage kit in game with 250 uses on it. You’re Welcome

(edited by Lankybird.8149)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Vol.7601

You mean 3 mystic forge stone.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Tremain.4623

Tremain.4623

There is only one possible way you could be an active player since launch and never had more than 20g: you are constantly spending a lot of gold. That is the only thing that makes sense.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

1) Don’t spend gold. If you’re really poor or just starting out, masterwork items work just fine – they have like 82% as much stats as exotics and cost about 1/50 as much. No latest-and-greatest, no new skins, no converting gold to gems (unless you plan on these being an investment).
2) Play the TP. Be creative here – the less obvious something is, the more you can make off it. Doesn’t have to be flipping or guessing what will be popular in the future – crafting and salvaging are both really good ways to make coin – just be sure that what you do will make a profit before you do it.
3) Be patient. Items don’t have to sell within 5 minutes of posting. If someone undercuts you, odds are both of yours will sell soon. I’ll usually only relist something if it’s not sold within 2-3 days.
4) Read patch notes and be active when the patch goes live. Look for things that change items and judge how people will take it. example: they recently said that 2-handed weapons will soon be able to take 2 sigils, within 12 hours half the sigils on the market doubled in price. If you had bought them when they first announced that, you could of doubled your coin.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Mystic.5934

Mystic Forge -> First three tier salvage Kit and a mystic coin = best salvage kit in game with 250 uses on it. You’re Welcome

Vol’s right, and your recipe is further wrong. The real recipe:
Master Salvage Kit + Jorneyman’s Salvage Kit + Fine Salvage Kit + 3 Mystic Forge Stones -> Mystic Salvage Kit with 250 charges (which is functionally identical to the Master Salvage Kit)
note that it is cheaper to buy 10 Master Salvage Kit (which has the same number of uses) than make a Mystic Salvage Kit. Unless, of course, you get the Mystic Forge Stones for free (from achievements or BL Chests). This will continue to be the case until gold -> 100 gems goes below 94s, which is likely never to happen.
Also, the Mystic Salvage Kit is tied for 2nd best kit in the game. Black Lion Salvage Kit is the best, then Mystic and Master are both 2nd best.

(edited by Mystic.5934)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Yeah, but after you’ve played for a while, you’ll be swimming in Mystic Forge Stones. I personally have almost 300 of them!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Mystic.5934

then use them to make mystic kits! that is, if you salvage a lot of stuff.
the only viable alternative for them is it throw them in the MF with some other cheap exotics.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Katastrofi.5816

Katastrofi.5816

“It’s the economy, stupid”

Unless you play the (economic) game, you will never be “rich.” Grinding 10 dungeons a day will get you nowhere.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Klein.9207

Klein.9207

Well one way i grind for gold is to do dungeons. I have a speedrun guild that does them everyday after reset. We do just about most of all the dungeons including arah and we make about 20g+ per night(not including arah)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mega Messiah.1734

Mega Messiah.1734

I farm dungeons and just tend to sell some random trash I get along the way.

Well on my way to my 3rd Legendary.

Just don’t spend your money and you’ll usually be able to buy everything you want. Now, if you wanna be one of those people with boatloads of gold? Learn to play the TP and get used to staring at that window for a long long time.

“73 + 22 = 100!” – Nexus

in Black Lion Trading Co

Zaxares.5419

the only viable alternative for them is it throw them in the MF with some other cheap exotics.

I do! But I only use my Mystic Kits for Rares (I save my BLK’s for Exotics). I don’t want to get tons of green upgrades back; that just got super annoying when the Matic was bugged.

I salvage my Rares for Ectos, and nowadays I salvage my Exotics too since I need Dark Matter, so there’s not much to use my Stones to combine with.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Izaya.2906

Izaya.2906

Play the game, everything is profitable to some extent except pvp and wvw.

If you don’t want to rely on luck, get better at running dungeons. Running meta builds and joining parties who run the same builds tailored for speed running is the difference between being poor or rich given a limited amount of playtime.

If you can do a unique path in 6-15 minutes you’ll be at 5g+ & 240+ tokens/hr not including if you can run faster or get lucky with chests/champ bags.

CoF & higher levels dungeon tokens can be used to buy rares for ectos. Lower level dungeons can be salvaged for unique stat combinations(soldiers/rabid/magi etc.).

There’s also investing in items that sell for near NPC price, these things can only go up and even if they don’t, you have minimal losses when you sell them to the NPC.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Fenrir.3609

Fenrir.3609

“It’s the economy, stupid”

Unless you play the (economic) game, you will never be “rich.” Grinding 10 dungeons a day will get you nowhere.

It depends how you define “rich” I guess, but you can make a great deal of money from pve.

(edited by Fenrir.3609)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Here’s a non-TP traders way of making some money (not massive amounts but a little)

Run dungeons. They give 1 – 1.5 gold for a run. AC is easy and you can easily get a gold a day doing that.

Do the events, sell materials you don’t need, especially things like T6 materials (blood, venom, scales, etc…).

Buy short term items to sell later (this is speculative and can backfire a lot).

Stop buying thing.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: FrozenStarRo.7240

FrozenStarRo.7240

I make 12g a day running my 80s through Orr following the harvest routes on gw2nodes. It’s not exactly a fortune but it adds up over time as I have fully geared characters, all crafts maxed and no immediate need to spend any of that gold at the moment. At the end of the month I tend to clear my stacks of cooking mats except those I need (omnom, truffles, etc) and lower orbs and that’s an easy 50g+.

Doing that for the past 4 months has allowed me to finish my first legendary (buying a 560g precursor on TP and complete my stacks of T6 mats) and buy several sets of T3 cultural armor.

I saw your reply to someone and I honestly wouldn’t advise hoarding mats unless you’re actively learning a specific craft. Otherwise just dump all those you don’t need (keep cores, lodestones and T6 mats so you have 1 less worry if you eventually decide to craft a legendary). You could be sitting on hundreds of gold in your collectibles right now.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Mystic.5934

I do! But I only use my Mystic Kits for Rares (I save my BLK’s for Exotics). I don’t want to get tons of green upgrades back; that just got super annoying when the Matic was bugged.

I salvage my Rares for Ectos, and nowadays I salvage my Exotics too since I need Dark Matter, so there’s not much to use my Stones to combine with.

Most exotics you should use mystic/master on. As a general rule, I’d say that you need to get 3g worth of potential stuff out of the item to merit using a BLSK (maybe an expensive sigil, maybe an insignia, etc.) unless of course you are just overflowing with BLSK and can’t find another use for them…

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ghost.3208

ghost.3208

Just run dungeons, it’s the easiest way on the game to earn gold aside from champ trains:

• AC P1 and P3: 3g.
  • CoF P1 and P2: 2g.
  • SE P1 and P3: 2g.
  • CoE P1 and P3: 2g.
  • Arah P1 and P2: 3g.

With this you’re getting 12g at a minimum solely with dungeon daily rewards, 12g a day per week it’s a total of 84g per week, 336g per month, 4032g per year, 403200g per…

Getting gold is easy in this game, hoarding it and preventing from cashing in all your savings on gem store shinies is what’s difficult.

Gliradda – The Lil Death – Too Drunk to Aim
Guerreros de la Ultima Alianza [GDUA]
#TeamKiel #TeamPrecipice

in Black Lion Trading Co

Zaxares.5419

Most exotics you should use mystic/master on. As a general rule, I’d say that you need to get 3g worth of potential stuff out of the item to merit using a BLSK (maybe an expensive sigil, maybe an insignia, etc.) unless of course you are just overflowing with BLSK and can’t find another use for them…

Got 10 BLSK’s sitting in the Bank. XD The main reason I’m using them for Exotics is because they supposedly have a higher chance to extract Dark Matter, which is what I’m primarily after when salvaging Exotics. (So far my personal experience is not bearing this out, but I’ve not salvaged anywhere near enough Exotics for a decent data set.)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

^this. I’m sitting on a bunch of skins that were 2g on release and now sell for 40g.