How many laurels fair for a precursor?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Jure Simich.6154

Jure Simich.6154

Thinking here – suppose we got precursors in the laurel shop. How many laurels would you consider an appropriate amount for a precursor of choice?

40? (a month of work?)
100? (who and a half months?)
200? (as long as the game was out already?)

(for the sake of discussion, please disregard the isssue of whether laurels are appropriate and the low odds of the current ways to get a precursor, this would be meant as a fix to that issue)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

225 Laurels are how many Laurels are possible if it were possible to get Laurels upon release of this game. 225 is the one you’d get from the daily today in 2 hours.

I would say 200 is a fair amount. It means a lot of dedication, albeit minor every day.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

None. Precursors shouldn’t be able to be bought with laurels.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

While I ultimately agree with Vol, I will humor the discussion.

I would say 250 laurels for an Account Bound precursor, if I had to put a price on precursors in laurels given current means of acquisition only. Six or so months of dedicated effort in terms of dailies and monthlies seems “fair” in my completely arbitrary interpretation of fairness.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Esplen.3940

While I ultimately agree with Vol, I will humor the discussion.

I would say 250 laurels for an Account Bound precursor, if I had to put a price on precursors in laurels given current means of acquisition only. Six or so months of dedicated effort in terms of dailies and monthlies seems “fair” in my completely arbitrary interpretation of fairness.

Keep in mind, this would also be logging on every day for 6 months straight.

I also agree that Precursors shouldn’t be purchased from an NPC (other than the Trading Post), however I posted to humor his theoretical question.

The reason why I chose 200 instead of 250 is that there should be a grace period for a 6 month straight grind.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Laurels will also come from other achievements. If you base the price on other items, it would be around 1000 – 1500 laurels.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

This is a pointless discussion anyway – Colin already stated just before the launch of laurels that precursors would not be purchasable with them.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

in Black Lion Trading Co

Esplen.3940

Laurels will also come from other achievements. If you base the price on other items, it would be around 1000 – 1500 laurels.

Now you’re thinking Legendary, not Precursor. And what other achievements provide Laurels? Source, please?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

Whenever I see a topic about “precursors” I now automatically assume that people are talking about Dawn, Dusk, Zap, and Spark.

Say 600G then. Say you can farm 3G/hour by farming Orr/doing dungeons. Getting a laurel is waaaaay easier than that. Say a Laurel is like worth 1 G.

So 600 laurels?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Esplen.3940

Whenever I see a topic about “precursors” I now automatically assume that people are talking about Dawn, Dusk, Zap, and Spark.

Say 600G then. Say you can farm 3G/hour by farming Orr/doing dungeons. Getting a laurel is waaaaay easier than that. Say a Laurel is like worth 1 G.

So 600 laurels?

But you don’t need to logon every day for 1.5 years to get 600g.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Jure Simich.6154

Jure Simich.6154

If I may, I don’t think the discussion pointless. It’s just a matter of seeing “how much work should a precursor mean” if it’s not RNG or extremely difficult content.

I just proposed the laurels since they are A) something everyone can do are strictly account bound, with a limited acquisition and C) have many alternative uses, so spending any means not spending them on something good (you do realize that 200 laurels are a full set of ascended amulet+ring+infusions, and change).

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

I’d say 226, just so people who could have gotten one today would have to wait another day.

honestly, IF they were laurel items they’d probably cost around 500 each, and they would be different

you would purchase the precursor or the weapon, you’d purchase a special consumable to turn any one weapon into a legendary type with special effects.

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

In all seriousness, something around 100. Not that I think you should make them available for laurels, but that’s roughly the amount of time/effort that is appropriate.

That number will have to change after they add laurels for other achievements, and hence make them easier to acquire, but as far as incremental rewards getting 1% of the way there by playing ~1 hour a day for 3 months and change is roughly the ballpark I’d shoot for.

(edited by Ensign.2189)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

People who won the lottery (got precursors) will say one thing… players who have been playing since release, done everything and never got one will answer another…

I’ve never seen that many posts on the same subject and so many biased answers.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Now you’re thinking Legendary, not Precursor. And what other achievements provide Laurels? Source, please?

To be exact, they didn’t say achievements would award laurels, they left it open. They said achievements would offer additional rewards. For the most part, they will probably offer a currency as a reward, which would either be laurels or something new, or they could go with an unlock system, purely based on total points.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/January-2013-Flame-and-Frost-prelude-Merged-Discussion/1264140
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/new-rewards-and-the-achievements-system/

My number was based on market prices and the fact that the tonic costs 100 laurels. I went with a high price of dye @ 20s each, with a 500g cost for the precursor. With 10 dyes = 5 laurels, that would make that 500g precursor worth 1250 laurels. Using the boxes instead, at a generous worth of 1g each, is also 1250 laurels.

The cheaper precusors would be around 200 laurels based on the above.

Since the tonic is 100 laurels, a precursor would have to be at least 100 laurels. For it to be under 1000, that precusor would have to be account bound.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Valin.4527

Valin.4527

None. Precursors shouldn’t be able to be bought with laurels.

…but buying them with Gold is koshier?

They shouldn’t be able to be bought, period.
Quested maybe – anyone remember the Epic weapon quests from EQ1?

-A man of many Valins [KONG]

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: morphemass.2850

morphemass.2850

The precursor should never have been the hard part of creating a legendary.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Folk.2093

Folk.2093

Once again I see the same people crying foul whenever a post like this comes up. You guys aren’t special stars.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

Well, there is a big difference between 1 precursor and another in terms of value. Id say I think 150 for the cheaper ones right up to the more expensive ones being up to about 300. I was going to say 400 for the more expensive ones, but then realised that was 8 months to acquire. That said, I personally dont want a legendary. I recently sold a precursor. Id have no problem if they sold them with Laurels, I personally think it would be more of a respectable way to do it over the current RNG or gold farm methods. At least if the laurel price was high enough, people will have managed to achieve something rather than just get lucky and I think thats what a legendary should have been.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

I don’t think there is a good answer for me – while a precursor would be nice so I could fill in the hollow seal on my log-in page, with 13 character slots looking to get Ascended necklaces, there is no way I’m spending Laurels on precurssors when I can spend them on mechanical advantage I can’t get any other way. After I’ve gathered laarels for a year, if I still haven’t had a precurssor come my way by any other means… maybe. But I’m pretty sure thet there will be a scavenger hunt/reliable means before I’d be anywhere near ready to blow laurels on something so frivolous.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Doomdesire.9365

Doomdesire.9365

That would be boring and long(as in, months long).

I would much rather have some dungeon. An extremely long and hard dungeon(hard as in, it requires a lot of coordination, teamwork, and thought process, not just 50 level 85 npcs coming at you). Upon completion, you will be awarded with a precursor. If the entire team wipes, you have to start all over. It will involve a bunch of things-from dragon slaying, to Jumping puzzles, to actual knowledge regarding the GW universe and it’s lore. The dungeon itself should take a minimum of 5 hours to complete, but it should be well thought out and fun.

That’s how I would do it…at least >_>

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Kilrain Daggerspine.6843

Kilrain Daggerspine.6843

I definatly think precursors should become a little more common, but I do not feel laurels is the way to do it…

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

That would be boring and long(as in, months long).

I would much rather have some dungeon. An extremely long and hard dungeon(hard as in, it requires a lot of coordination, teamwork, and thought process, not just 50 level 85 npcs coming at you). Upon completion, you will be awarded with a precursor. If the entire team wipes, you have to start all over. It will involve a bunch of things-from dragon slaying, to Jumping puzzles, to actual knowledge regarding the GW universe and it’s lore. The dungeon itself should take a minimum of 5 hours to complete, but it should be well thought out and fun.

That’s how I would do it…at least >_>

Then we’d just be replacing complaint threads about precursor prices with complaint threads about the difficulty of the dungeon. Probably more so, since you can’t buy your way out of it.

People raged about the difficulty of the Mad King tower the entire halloween event, and that didn’t even give you anything but some paltry achievement points and a non unique boot skin.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Havana.8625

Havana.8625

485 = 10*12 (for months) + 365 (for days). One year’s worth sounds right to me.

“We don’t need to make gear treadmills”
Colin Johanson on how arenanet measures success.
(Please no gear treadmills, Colin!)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Charismatic Harm.9683

Charismatic Harm.9683

IF….and that’s a pretty big if….Laurels were able to be used to acquire a precursor, the number would really be determined by ArenaNet’s plan to retroactively reward Laurels for current Achievement points (which they have stated there’s a plan to do that in a future update).

Let’s look at it two ways.

1.) No additional Laurels given for current Achievement points
In this case, I feel similar to Havana where it should be approximately a year’s worth of Dailies / Monthlies. A nice round number of 500 seems good to me. This would allow those that do the normal Dailies / Monthlies AND the PvP ones to get them a little faster….but still be about 6 months worth of “work”.

2.) Additional Laurels awarded for current Achievement points.
This would really depend on the conversion rate of Achievement points to Laurels, but let’s assume it’s 1 to 1 (which it probably won’t be).

With this system, I would say a number of around 5,000 would be a good amount. I see many people, in my guild alone, with 4,000+ Achievement points, so if they were to be awarded with 4,000 Laurels, you’d still want them to have to work for it a little bit.

My ideas are just actually to humor the topic of this thread, when in actuality, I don’t believe that precursors should be able to be acquired through the Laurel system at all.

Guild: Member of Charter Vanguard [CV]
Logic will never win an argument on the forums…..only a sense of entitlement will.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Goloith.6349

Goloith.6349

It’s pretty sad that there are people out there that obtained their precurser to RNG, yet when it comes to the rest of the player base wanting to work for a legendary they have to give up their life to do so.

I think six months is reasonable…..anything more it would be cheaper to get a second job and just buy it off the trading post.

The people that pay the bills is the average person, not somebody that got lucky with multiple precursor drops, sold them, and then proceeded to bully his way on the TP to get richer. I don’t blame the rich, but at least give the rest of the people a chance at an item that is reasonable.

i7 920 OC 4.2Ghz, 2x 6970s in Eyefinity mode
Davidah (Guardian) Goloith (Engineer)
Achuni (Mesmer) Doreanora (Thief)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rebort.6295

Rebort.6295

You can get a precursor for laurels now, or at least start working on one. Spend laurels on stuff, sell the stuff, buy the precursor.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Surferboy.1649

Surferboy.1649

precursors for laurels won’t ever exist, it would crush their gold sink mechanism called mystic toilet