How much would you pay for race change?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Shanks.2907

Shanks.2907

I’m sure I’m not the only one who wants to change the race of a couple toons.

I only see two hurdles really. One would be the story progress, which would have to be completely reset. Not that hard to do. The other would be any cultural gear you have already, which can be transmuted to other toons.

With the release of more things in the gem store that I’m not going to spend money on, I thought it would be a good opportunity to put a price on something we do want.

800 gems sounds fair to me, but I’d be willing to pay more. What would you pay?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

0 gems because i am already a Charr.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

800 gems, I would even go so far as 1200 gems. Most people that truly desire a race change have already made many times that in terms of gold on their character.

Any cultural gear on the character should simply be unequipped (your character would come into the world naked), set to account bound, race limited, soulbound on equip. Problem solved for that part. You can put it in the bank and move to another character which is the original race.

The story does not need to be reset. Limit race change to level 80 characters that has completed the storyline. Without that, you cannot race change. When race changing, you simply add a line that say “You where born [NEWRACE] but taken in and raised by [ORIGINALRACE]” in the very first story arc page which say who you are (that’s why you did the “wrong” story. You where for example an Asuran raised by Norn, which obviously loved to drink and brawl rather than invent stuff). Your “original race” never change (in order to follow the story) no matter how many times you race change.

Of course they could also simply replace all story info on a character with a page that says “Story arcs not available on characters that has race changed” if they wanted, but that’d be boring. Either way, none of this info show to anyone other than the player.

People always say “oh you cant race change, too many issue with gear, it break story progress, blablabla”. There are no issues, period.

(edited by Dawdler.8521)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nodo.6907

Nodo.6907

I re-rolled to a race I wanted but at the time, I was not heavily invested in my lvl 80. Now, it would definitely not be something I would want to do(re-rolling just for race I mean). As for price? At this time, I still would not consider paying to change my race.

The only way I’d consider a race change would be if they introduced a new race to the game that was not available in the beginning. I see no issue with race changes despite what some would say about how it affects the story and blah blah. I, for one, would probably still not pay for one though.

Name- Nodo
Server – Yak’s Bend

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

Maximum? 1200 gems. I think it’s fair.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Crestorial.1869

Crestorial.1869

0 gems. Why promote racism?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

0 gems. Why promote racism?

While we’re at it, there should be no gender discrimination either. We need moar skimpy male clothing :-P females have too much of it, men need it too.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Keiel.7489

Keiel.7489

2k.
Story doesn’t need to reset, If you are done with your level 20 quest (end of racial I believe) then whatever or however you picked your storyline during remake can just be checked off as complete. 20-30 I believe is your faction choice, which can remain as is. From then on it’s just pretty generic stuff. I’d even be happy if they just made it so that you can’t do story mode anymore once you race change. Quite frankly I’m tired of seeing the green star on my minimap and map.

As for Cultural, I don’t see why they can’t just shift it over. It probably be a bit of work, but they could also add in a cultural armor trading vendor (ever item you get back will be soulboud or BoA or however you want it) but ideally would give you chest tokens and you trade it in for a chest piece for your new char with out the runes. Kinda like how it was done with unlimited gathering tools.

[DONE]

(edited by Keiel.7489)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Magnus Steelgrave.6580

Magnus Steelgrave.6580

I’d pay up to 1600 gems and would gladly sacrifice my t3 set and my personal story to reset it for sure.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Shanks.2907

Shanks.2907

I don’t think it would be that hard to implement either. There’s already makeover kits that we can go into the options to change looks and gender, so all the tools are already there. It just needs to be implemented, probably some coding, and rolled out.

As for the story, I’d prefer a reset. If I’m changing to a Norn or Charr I want to play their story. Not like we’d lose achievement points or be forced to play it. This doesn’t need to get overly complicated, so a clean reset would work.

And for cultural gear, we can just transmute it and use on another toon. (which would need 12 lvl 80 transmutation crystals = even more money). Adding a vendor for swapping the gear is adding more than necessary when we can work with what we’ve got already. Plus they’d rather you sink another 100+ gold into a new t3 set.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: RolandMode.2749

RolandMode.2749

800 gems would seem fair, I love my charr guardian but it’s so uncomfortable that the size bumps the camera, hard to do jumps and do jp’s and I’m not always sure I’m in or out of a deadly aoe circle.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Neoheart.2750

Neoheart.2750

I personally deleted a level 80 mesmer, with 20 min old ascended amulet (waste lol). It was partly because i didn’t enjoy the play style or “pace” of the class but also because of the race. Had the race been different i would of probably kept it for crafting (which i had also maxed…waste). lol

In the future if i really wanted a change i reckon i would pay 1600 at a push. 800 seems a kitteneap consider the effort Anet would have to put in (more than makeovers, new slots etc). Also new slots are 800 if i remember right so surely its worth more than just rerolling?

(edited by Neoheart.2750)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

0 gems. By the time I hit 80 on any character, I’m invested in that character and everything to do with that character, specifically AS that character. Changing the race would change the character. I do my research before I make any new character, and make sure I get it right at character creation. If I feel I can’t take a character all the way to 80, I’ll know before I hit level 20, and then it’s no loss to me to delete and re-roll.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: design.6057

design.6057

At least 2k gems. Easily. If ANet made this feature available, they would instantly get at least $200 from me alone

Sorrow Night / Seven Truths

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

Not interested in this personally, but I think Shanks has the most likely methodology… it wouldn’t be the simplest thing to implement, but rolling back the story to the beginning (i.e. the intro stage normally reserved for level 1 – possibly downscaling you this time) would be most of the puzzle, plus with cultural armor marked as unusable. You’d also have to drop racial skills (could replace them but if you only acquired some, you’d have to arbitrarily choose what you’re replacing them with), and… I think that’s about it? Profession doesn’t change so the weapons, other skills, and traits would be unaffected. Most armor would also be unaffected, same with experience and skill point count… cultural armor probably just needs to be unequipped so it doesn’t cause bugs, and still leaves it there for you to transmute with another skin if need be.

Since there are so many people asking for this, and most of them at pretty decent gem prices, it may actually be worth ANet’s time

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Cassocaster.4576

Cassocaster.4576

I would just start another toon…..

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Neoheart.2750

Neoheart.2750

Yeah i reckon a lot of people out there would and that’s why I can’t see it being the same price as a new character slot.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: RedCobra.7693

RedCobra.7693

id pay up to 2500 gems at most, ive longed to be an asuran xD but my human has everything, my explore my gear my ascended all the crafting proffessions and 1200 hours play time, not a chance in hell am i going to re-roll,

ANET I COULDNT CARE LESS ABOUT STORY OR CULTURAL ARMOR I PLAY WVW

RedCobra – Ranked PVP Druid
Current Season – Platinum (Soloq)
Retired GW2 ESL Tournament Admin

in Black Lion Trading Co

RedCobra.7693

0 gems. By the time I hit 80 on any character, I’m invested in that character and everything to do with that character, specifically AS that character. Changing the race would change the character. I do my research before I make any new character, and make sure I get it right at character creation. If I feel I can’t take a character all the way to 80, I’ll know before I hit level 20, and then it’s no loss to me to delete and re-roll.

thats the opposite effect, i doubt youve played one of your characters more than i have, i just want to renew the character thats all, i wouldnt mind trying out the other races without having to start again

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

thats the opposite effect, i doubt youve played one of your characters more than i have, i just want to renew the character thats all, i wouldnt mind trying out the other races without having to start again

I probably haven’t. But I wasn’t criticising your opinion or your desire to roll a race change. I was just giving my opinion. I get too attached to my characters, so I wouldn’t want to change anything about them and would rather create and level a new one (no matter how boring and annoying levelling can be!). If ANet implemented a race change option, I personally, think it would be a shame as character creation is such a large part of GW2. However, I wouldn’t make a fuss and complain about it on the forums because it doesn’t need to affect me at all. If they do release something, then good for you (and them).

in Black Lion Trading Co

RedCobra.7693

I probably haven’t. But I wasn’t criticising your opinion or your desire to roll a race change. I was just giving my opinion. I get too attached to my characters, so I wouldn’t want to change anything about them and would rather create and level a new one (no matter how boring and annoying levelling can be!). If ANet implemented a race change option, I personally, think it would be a shame as character creation is such a large part of GW2. However, I wouldn’t make a fuss and complain about it on the forums because it doesn’t need to affect me at all. If they do release something, then good for you (and them).

tbh i apologise for coming across as rude, i just feel that they dont implement this so you have to get explore again and your ascended all your soulbound gemstore items and everything else again if you want to change your main’s race, id only end up changing back to a human but at least i can play as an asuran for a while

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

Make gear account bound and people can just buy another character slot and lvl new character,I know I wouldt mind have few alts of same class but different race but no way I gonna grind gear I have for them…

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Brutal Arts.6307

Brutal Arts.6307

1k gems.

15char

You have gotten what you paid for, all that remains is biweekly gemshop pushing.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Teege.4623

Teege.4623

Probably this. It seems like it’d be some work for them to implement, if it even is. If it was, then there’s the chance (not that it ever happens) that they’d mess something up, or it’d have limitations that are just unacceptable to some snowflakes.

If it’s 800 just to change the text/name, it better be half or more than that for race.

“We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2.” -Colin Johanson
Don’t support the Gem Shop, it’s that easy.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I’m happy with my races, so 0, but if ANet could figure out a way to make this technically feasible, I’m more than happy to allow people to pay for a race change if they want.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: yayuuu.9420

yayuuu.9420

2000 gems sounds fair. It’s something “bigger” than just name change, I can compare it to digital deluxe edition that is available in the gem store. Also not everyone should be allowed to change his race that easily, so the price have to be high enought.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: bOgz.7263

bOgz.7263

I’ll pay 10k gems or even more, instant 80 without seeing trahearne is actually priceless for me