I think it is time to finally fix the TP.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: hobbes.6178

hobbes.6178

Alright ArenaNet…I think it has been PLENTY long enough. We need to be able to filter armor types on the trading post.

At first I just thought it was odd that a game would even be released without the option…but I shrugged it off. But now, no offense, I just chalk it up under incompetence. I know that may sound harsh…but for a feature that has been in MMO’s for many years AND was also in beta…I can’t help but think that at least a little bit. I am sure you got a lot on your plate but it has been long enough.

I have brought a few friends into this game and its almost slightly embarrassing when I tell them they can’t filter armor types in the trading post. The awkward silence followed by the “Are you kidding me???” is always a bummer to hear. Not to mention it almost instantly creates a slight sense of “I don’t know about this game…” in their minds.

I’m sorry but I really feel like it has been long enough. ArenaNet can you please just let us filter armor types already?

“How do I search for a backpiece?”
“Oh just type Spineguard”
“…how was I supposed to know that?”
“I….I don’t know…you weren’t I guess…?”

It has been long enough.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

Totally agree, its mindblowing really that the TP has remained in this basic form for so long, seems to me they put to much time into making new gem store items so they can make money rather than actually making the game better.

in Black Lion Trading Co

hobbes.6178

I just find it very odd is all. If I was the lead designer for Guild Wars 2 I wouldn’t even give the ok for a release unless that was in the game. Attention to detail is what really makes an MMO shine. At this point they can’t possibly have a good reason to not have it by this point, and if they DO? I want to hear it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Kheldorn.5123

Kheldorn.5123

This thread would be successful if only you were refering to gem store.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

I just find it very odd is all. If I was the lead designer for Guild Wars 2 I wouldn’t even give the ok for a release unless that was in the game. Attention to detail is what really makes an MMO shine. At this point they can’t possibly have a good reason to not have it by this point, and if they DO? I want to hear it.

Thank goodness you’re not the lead designer than. Waiting to release a game or any type of software until it’s 100% perfection is impossible. You’ll be dead before then.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Naevius.3185

Naevius.3185

Just try to search for foods…

I don’t remember…didn’t someone say at some point that the whole TP/BlackLion shop was actually contracted out to another development company? Perhaps that is why it never gets worked on. (Maybe I’m thinking of a different game.)

in Black Lion Trading Co

hobbes.6178

Thank goodness you’re not the lead designer than. Waiting to release a game or any type of software until it’s 100% perfection is impossible. You’ll be dead before then.

Obviously some features would have to be tweaked/added later…but to filter armor types in the trading post, one of the most important features in any MMO? Not to mention filtering has existed in MMO’s since like 1998? Sorry but that SHOULD have been in the game since release ESPECIALLY if it was in beta.

Things like fixing the overflows, ironing out the karma exploits, fixing wall jumping…sure those were things that are a bit common to fix after a release. But filtering in the trading post is day 1 stuff. Obviously when going for attention to detail some things get overlooked…but not this. Not something that was in BETA…dear lord I can’t stress that enough. It was in BETA!

ArenaNet wants to get rid of Player-to-Player trading…which is fine. But if they want to get rid of something that has been in MMO’s since Ultima Online then whatever they have to replace it needs to be pretty darn good. And frankly the TP is basic, primitive and lacks A LOT of features that it should have. Some of which were in BETA!!! I just…what happened? What reason could they have possibly have had to take it out after beta? and for this long?

Disagree all you want, but I know I am right.

(edited by hobbes.6178)

in Black Lion Trading Co

hobbes.6178

I rarely buy from the gem store so I don’t know much about it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

And if you filter to browse upgrade components it will give you stuff you can’t even use.
Upgrade component > Armor will give you embellished jewels and such that you can’t even apply to your armor. -_-

Back items: Forest Brace, Charred Back Warmer, Various Spineguards….there’s no place for these to show up.

When I search for “Superior Rune” and sort by price I hate that it includes all kinds of random crap in my search list. I just want all the superior runes not other items with “superior” in the name or “rune”, the search function is quite flawed…

Please fix it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

You select the Back Item category.

Just try to search for foods…

You select the Consumable > Food category.

… but not the one you’re thinking of.

Upgrade component > Armor will give you embellished jewels and such that you can’t even apply to your armor. -_-

I’m assuming you mean the Weapon subcategory. It’s actually misnamed and should be Jewels. The actual weapon category that contains sigils is the next one down.

-

All of the above are examples of actual working filter options. For whatever reason, ArenaNet has yet to make these filters selectable. It’s a simple copy/paste job, that’s it.

Personally, I think ArenaNet should “open” the trading post by finishing the API. Don’t bother with the TP in-game, use a 3rd party one. This way, the trading post will always include the most popular features, anyone could improve it and ArenaNet doesn’t have to do anything. eTP+2014, TBC

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Kheldorn.5123

Kheldorn.5123

I rarely buy from the gem store so I don’t know much about it.

Let me explain. Since TP won’t make money it’s not considered to be fixed or upgraded. Just like the game. Gem Store on the other hand…

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Sylanna.1947

Sylanna.1947

Maybe if enough people comment on this we can get a response? I have yet to ever see one reply regarding this TP issue and it is really frustrating! I don’t want to see medium and heavy armor when I’m shopping on my mesmer!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Managing buy and sell orders needs improvement as well. I shouldn’t have to write an app to see when I have been outbid or undercut, and I shouldn’t have to click so many times to modify an existing order.

Also, saved searches would be awesome, even if they limit us to only a handful.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

The problem with the TP interface is that its extreme user-unfriendliness feeds the popularity of the third party programs. Those programs are so advanced, it’s disturbing. I refuse to use them, still, but a case can almost be made that they should be allowed. Almost.

in Black Lion Trading Co

hobbes.6178

I have seen many threads about this and ArenaNet never replies. Just the way it is I guess.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: SRG.3607

SRG.3607

I hope ANet will first correct the severe bugs (like “guild mission can’t be started” or “Tequatl becomes invisible”) before this convenience feature (that i would like to have too, of course, but after all the numerous bugs).

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ghost.3208

ghost.3208

Obviously some features would have to be tweaked/added later…but to filter armor types in the trading post, one of the most important features in any MMO? Not to mention filtering has existed in MMO’s since like 1998? Sorry but that SHOULD have been in the game since release ESPECIALLY if it was in beta.

Things like fixing the overflows, ironing out the karma exploits, fixing wall jumping…sure those were things that are a bit common to fix after a release. But filtering in the trading post is day 1 stuff. Obviously when going for attention to detail some things get overlooked…but not this. Not something that was in BETA…dear lord I can’t stress that enough. It was in BETA!

ArenaNet wants to get rid of Player-to-Player trading…which is fine. But if they want to get rid of something that has been in MMO’s since Ultima Online then whatever they have to replace it needs to be pretty darn good. And frankly the TP is basic, primitive and lacks A LOT of features that it should have. Some of which were in BETA!!! I just…what happened? What reason could they have possibly have had to take it out after beta? and for this long?

Disagree all you want, but I know I am right.

Yes you are right, filters are a must have on the TP, but still what is it that you’re searching that gives you such a hard time to find?

Are you not using keywords? Looking on the search bar for the specific armor name? Stats? Level range?

I’m not trying to troll but I honestly don’t have any problems finding a specific armor I want (unless it’s not on the wiki or some place with the name of it). What are you trying to find that gives you that much problem?

I can CAPS some words TOO to make them IMPORTANT

P.D. To reiterate, I want them to upgrade the TP and add better filters.

Gliradda – The Lil Death – Too Drunk to Aim
Guerreros de la Ultima Alianza [GDUA]
#TeamKiel #TeamPrecipice

in Black Lion Trading Co

Healix.5819

I’m not trying to troll but I honestly don’t have any problems finding a specific armor I want (unless it’s not on the wiki or some place with the name of it). What are you trying to find that gives you that much problem?

The more casual players don’t know what they’re looking for and don’t know about the 3rd party sites that provide the information for you.

Imagine leveling for the first time, hitting level 69 and wanting to finally buy some new armor, since you’re wearing level 42 stuff and haven’t had any drops. You look on the TP and filter it by level 65-75. You’ve got a lot of choices to look through and only a 1/3 of them you can actually use. Newer players may get a little confused, especially the first timers considering some players have asked what light/medium/heavy means and why they couldn’t equip what they bought off the TP.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ghost.3208

ghost.3208

Hmm filtering by a specific part of the armor will only lower those results a bit, how can it be easier for the new players?

Filter by stats? A must one should be filter by armor type (Light, Medium and Heavy), I mean sometimes I shouldn’t even get those results if I’m a Medium armor user.

Gliradda – The Lil Death – Too Drunk to Aim
Guerreros de la Ultima Alianza [GDUA]
#TeamKiel #TeamPrecipice

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: iFruit.6190

iFruit.6190

Very much for this. The amounts of armor you have to go through are ridiculous. Expanding on OP, filters for equipment stats should be put in place too.

Further, I hate how you filter 80-80 lvl, exotic quality, and type “berserker emblazoned” and STILL get a hundred pages of armors that are neither berserker nor medium type. Plain silly, that is.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Etien.4601

Etien.4601

Oh come on guys. Remember when they changed the background color…wait what?

Drop Acid Not Bombs (Richie Hawtin)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: TGWG.6437

TGWG.6437

I would also like a rehaul of the trading post interface. I’m in basic programing and even I think I can do a better job at this.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Sampo.9678

Sampo.9678

People shouldn’t have voted for Kiel.
If Evon would’ve won the ellection things would surely be better right now.

“Be brave, little rabbit. Take a chance.”

in Black Lion Trading Co

khani.4786

You select the Back Item category.

You mean the non-existent one?

I’m assuming you mean the Weapon subcategory. It’s actually misnamed and should be Jewels. The actual weapon category that contains sigils is the next one down.

All of the above are examples of actual working filter options. For whatever reason, ArenaNet has yet to make these filters selectable. It’s a simple copy/paste job, that’s it.

Maybe I just don’t understand what you’re talking about but most of the filters in the trading post do not work and some of the options there don’t even have anything there!

Filters that just don’t make sense:
Containers > Default – what is default supposed to mean here? It contains crafting material bags, boxes/satchels of armor, event containers (wintersday/halloween bags), The erronous Mystic Chest, backpack sets, and the unopened Mystery Tonics (WTH)
Containers > Gift Box – All this is are unidentified dyes of varying types…what?
Gizmo —-Endless tonics (Except for the Unopened Mystery ones), Commanders Compendium, Training manuals, Mystic Forge Conduit, and the representation buttons….most of these things aren’t

Filters that are broken:
Consumable** > Food – Actually only gives you ale/wine….and not food items.
Upgrade component > Weapon – Has agony infusions, embellished/ornate jewels…and the “rune of life” none of these can be used on weapons. There is no subcategory for sigils….

Filters that do nothing:
Consumable** > Generic
Consumable** > Transmutation
Consumable** > Unlock
Gathering —-WHY IS THIS EVEN HERE??
Gizmo > Default …what’s the point, it’s everything that’s in the “all” category.
Gizmo > Salvage-—what?
Tool > THERE IS NOTHING HERE

**The All category for Consumable contains: Weapon skins, dyes, transformation potions, WvW Blueprints, Food (apple items), Maintenance Oils/crystals/stones (Wrench items), Alcohol (for drinking points)….all of which don’t properly display under any subcategories besides “ALL”

~Crafting Material – This one NEEDS subcategories for insignias/Inscriptions, Weapon/armor parts, etc….

+ Mystic Items need their own category or subcategory somewhere…maybe under crafting. They’re currently tossed in the “Trophy” category and that doesn’t make any sense at all.

The only categories that seem to work properly are armor, weapons and minis….and the armor really REALLY needs the option to filter by light/medium/heavy.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Healix.5819

Maybe I just don’t understand what you’re talking about but most of the filters in the trading post do not work and some of the options there don’t even have anything there!

All of the filters in the trading post work as you would expect. The problem, the reason you get odd results is because of a display error. All the code is there, they just messed up on showing it to you. The fix is about as simple as fixing a spelling mistake.

As for the gathering and tools category, they’re a remnant. Tools were originally tradeable.

To make it a little more clear, I’ll give you a visual aid and a glimpse at a possibility – what if ArenaNet opened the trading post.

Attachments:

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

At this point, my expectations are so low, I’d be satisfied if they fixed the small font issue on the TP main trading page.

By the way, anyone else notice that the font used in the search boxes on different TP pages (main trading page, sell your stuff page) are different? Why?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Trotting out explanation again …

Everything below the TP title bar and right of the tabs is a web page rendered at the “normal” resolution. That screen is then scaled into the space below the title and right of the tabs. That’s why on any setting other than normal they look different. For some reason they couldn’t either relay the scale selection to the server or the Awesomium browser the game uses couldn’t handle the layout itself.

That’s why the TP is somewhat unreadable with the interface is set to small and fugly when it’s set to large.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

It would take an inexhaustible amount of time to make the TP work properly. All the categories are pretty much generated automatically from the info in the database. Due to this and the fact that most items are not properly categorized means that someone on the inside will have to sift through the thousands of items and categorize them all again. Who knows what else those category numbers are tied to in the actual game too – merchants of all kinds, your character armor/weapons, etc.
As a web designer it makes me sick to my stomach to see an in-game e-commerce platform so broken and user-unfriendly. I would happily take on the task of repairing this problem if given the chance – you have my resume already

The implementation of the in-process browser and its inability to stretch and resize and adjust properly when in-game interface settings are changed (small, normal, large) was a major oversight.

But thanks to the great API team, we’ll soon have a way to do all this wonderful stuff for ourselves with Third-party providers outside of the game…

The limitations of the in-game browser and its implementation mean that they really can’t accomplish much with it. I can envision so many great things for it but sadly it will probably never evolve to accommodate an ever-growing game like this. They didn’t take the e-commerce part of the trading post/gem store seriously enough and decisions were made to the detriment of its future. In an mmo there’s no such thing as “Not enough time” – gw1 lasted what? 8 years now and it’s just now on auto-pilot. They didn’t have to release with the gem store or TP but they did and rushed it. It was one of the top requested features for gw1 and they glossed over it for gw2 without considering its future.

They pretty much have to take things out of the gem store (limited time offerings) because they didn’t consider the possibilities and popularity of the items in it.
Each of the what? 5 categories in there could be split up considerably more, there could be a wardrobe feature of it so I don’t have to keep buying the same thing for all my characters, the preview could be scalable or zoom-able; the whole interface could be full screen instead of some arbitrary static size – I mean, who’s actually fighting monsters while browsing the TP/gem store?

TP has many problems from a user interaction stand point. Categories are useless, half of them have nothing in them and those items aren’t trade-able in the first place, seems to me that those categories are auto-populated for all the available categories of items in the game; this is the reason we have ((category)) entries and not properly named ones. The items are not properly categorized as well – food = alcohol, consumable = anything you can double click. I know it would take quite a while to properly reconstruct these items (I would be willing to do so!) but it should be done for the longevity of the game. QoL is a huge thing in an mmo and should not be taken lightly as has been the TP.

However, the biggest problem is that items in the game were not strategically categorized with the TP in mind and that’s why they don’t have categories for some items and some categories have nothing in them. The categories are generated by the server based on the items with category designations, not the other way around.
There should have been a proper information architecture meeting to discuss the trading post and all the things that could be on it and then a IA structure built to accommodate it. This way you could add future items and categories and the trading post could have been designed properly. But this was not done and items were categorized on the fly with the TP being what I would call a side-project that made it into the game. I don’t mean any offense to those who worked their kitten s off to make it happen, but they were handicapped from the start by thinking it was part of the game instead of a web app. If they had considered it that way the entire process would have been different and they could have planned it better while being in direct contact with the rest of the teams to make sure all the IA and database stuff was correct. It could have solved some other issues at the same time that will soon affect the game.

TL;DR : hire me Oh and feel free to skip this post if you’re so inclined to skim as you read!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

While Anet are at it, they need to do something with the abundance of crafting materials like thick leather section – there’s 5,700,000++ of it on the TP. Perhaps give it a use in a living story like what they did with zephyr sanctum supply boxes and crafting mats or something.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

in Black Lion Trading Co

hobbes.6178

Will bump this everyday until I see a response from ANet. Far to many of these threads go unanswered and I consider that incompetence as well.

Many people want SOME kind of answer for this.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Will bump this everyday until I see a response from ANet. Far to many of these threads go unanswered and I consider that incompetence as well.

Many people want SOME kind of answer for this.

Calling them incompetent wont do your cause any good.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Corpse Flakes.5369

Corpse Flakes.5369

I would also like “light” “medium” and “heavy” armor filters.

-BelieveGate-

Anet please nerf Paper, Scissors is fine -Rock.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

There are so many small things that could be done to improve the TP experience. Armor filters is the most glaring one, but it’s a real mess overall.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

in Black Lion Trading Co

khani.4786

I’m really hoping some of these fixes will be in the April patch. crosses fingers

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: DarkSpirit.7046

DarkSpirit.7046

It has been long enough.

https://tradingpost-live.ncplatform.net/search?text=&type=1

Can’t buy them directly from your browser but at least you can search for them and buy them in the game.

in Black Lion Trading Co

khani.4786

It has been long enough.

Can’t buy them directly from your browser but at least you can search for them and buy them in the game.

Yep…works great..

“ERROR: Invalid authorization”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Charismatic Harm.9683

Charismatic Harm.9683

It has been long enough.

Yep…works great..

Go to…..
https://tradingpost-live.ncplatform.net/authenticate
…..first.

Then go to the link in the above post.

Edit: That link will take you to an account login page where you have to put in your e-mail address and password to authenticate your connection to the Trading Post. Enter that information, then you can basically look at items on the Trading Post from a web browser outside of the game….just as you can from within it.

Guild: Member of Charter Vanguard [CV]
Logic will never win an argument on the forums…..only a sense of entitlement will.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Healix.5819

in Black Lion Trading Co

DarkSpirit.7046

Yes it would be, but the filter bugs have been around since release, so I don’t expect them to be fixed anytime soon.

On the other hand, it is an open opportunity to build an app with a better filter for TP searching/buying/etc. Add an armor weight class filter even, if you want to. Their TP interface has much room for improvement.

Although it is possible to redirect their awesomenium brower to another web page, I have always felt that they should have documented and made such a process public, as a form of client customization so that people can make their own TP interface for use in the game.

(edited by DarkSpirit.7046)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: JayyxDawg.5081

JayyxDawg.5081

It would take an inexhaustible amount of time to make the TP work properly. All the categories are pretty much generated automatically from the info in the database. Due to this and the fact that most items are not properly categorized means that someone on the inside will have to sift through the thousands of items and categorize them all again.

I would actually enjoy doing that. I like organising things, and it’d also help the trading post to, y’know, actually work!

Human pin-cushion
Tarnished Coast [NA]

in Black Lion Trading Co

khani.4786

It has been long enough.

Yep…works great..

Go to…..
…..first.

Edit: That link will take you to an account login page where you have to put in your e-mail address and password to authenticate your connection to the Trading Post. Enter that information, then you can basically look at items on the Trading Post from a web browser outside of the game….just as you can from within it.

Still doesn’t work. The page comes up but it doesn’t work.

I’d much rather they fix the trading post in-game anyways. :p

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: eithinan.9841

eithinan.9841

This. Didn’t someone say it was in beta? I was in beta but didn’t use the tp or really explore it enough to remember.

I mean, who’s actually fighting monsters while browsing the TP/gem store?

/raises hand. The chest boss fights are spam 1 and get rezzed to win.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Healix.5819

This. Didn’t someone say it was in beta? I was in beta but didn’t use the tp or really explore it enough to remember.

Originally there was a show useable checkbox, but I don’t remember it actually working. They also have a profession filter hidden on the current trading post, as shown in the screenshot above, but it doesn’t work either.

in Black Lion Trading Co

DarkSpirit.7046

It has been long enough.

Yep…works great..

Go to…..
…..first.

Still doesn’t work. The page comes up but it doesn’t work.

I’d much rather they fix the trading post in-game anyways. :p

You need to login first. Try this:

https://account.guildwars2.com/login?redirect_uri=http%3A%2F%2Ftradingpost-live.ncplatform.net%2Fauthenticate%3Fsource%3D%252F&game_code=gw2

after that, then use this URL on the SAME browser instance: