IDEA: add post time limit to TP

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

Add a time limit to posts for the TP (example: 2 days, but the actual duration is not the point of this idea). If your post doesn’t sell in within the time limit you receive your item back but not the 5% posting fee.

Goals:

1. Increased gold sink for the economy (inflation prevention)
2. More competitive trading post (resulting in lower prices)

All of which sound good to me.

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Hell Avenger.7021

Hell Avenger.7021

What? There is already a penalty for you listing something at a bad price. 5% RELISTING FEE. It is gold sink already? WHY? It trap my money in that goods that I could not sell.

Bad idea.

Furthermore, you trapping capital in the market WILL NOT reduce inflation. MORE TRANSACTION = MORE 10% commission charge by ANET.

in Black Lion Trading Co

juno.1840

Good Idea because if you post something you have to ensure it’s “competitive” otherwise your post is returned to you (forcibly). Yes you can get undercut, but hey that happens (in real and virtual economies).

Systems are in place in similar markets and I believe with beneficial results.

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

Time limits produce mixed results. I started playing Rift the day it was released to the public, and quickly found that selling items through the TP was a poor way to make money. Many items that were crafted or found did not sell for much more than vendor price, and often didn’t sell at all. Listings lasted for something like 24 or 48 hours, and the fees were not refunded if the item didn’t sell. So if you try to sell something more than twice without success, you end up losing money vs. selling to an NPC vendor. So I ended up breaking things for mats or vendoring them instead of selling them on the TP.

Other players must have come to the same conclusion because Trion slashed the fees to a fraction of what they were, until you could relist an item several times and still make a profit if it sold. In many cases it still wasn’t a great way to make money, but crafting mats and other high-demand items still sold well enough to make it worthwhile.

Here, as the situation stands, though, I don’t think they could implement a time limit without upsetting a lot of people, including those who only log in once in a while and suddenly find themselves with thousands of items to pick up at the TP and have to spend hours sorting through them to relist, vendor, or break.

in Black Lion Trading Co

juno.1840

I think your example is a great one supporting the time limit tolunart. In short there was no market for the items you were posting (even at the barely profitable listing cost). In that case they should not be on the TP to begin with.

Look at some of the items on our TP right now…. 1000+ quantities at a sale price 1 copper above what you could merch it for. All those postings would magically clean themselves up with a time limit. You’d see “buy orders” start to dominate the TP for those goods (assuming there’s a demand for them at all).

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

It would also discourage casual sellers, leading to shortages because the TP is game-wide, rather than server-wide as it is in Rift.

There were many times when I wanted to craft items for a daily quest, but could not find a single listing for a mat I needed on the TP. This TP is extremely friendly to buyers, more so than to sellers.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

This is a bad idea. It will create supply shortages when timers run out which will cause price spiking. It will also result in less incentive to actually list things which will further cause price increases due to lower supply.

The end result is less overall gold sink due to less transactions AND higher overall prices as a result of less transactions.

Server: Devona’s Rest

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

This goes in the complete opposite direction things need to go in…. while just creating an exploitable automatic “Mail Bank”. What is the point??

We don’t need more arbitrary limits on supply, we just more limits to the INSTANT manipulation of prices. IE: temporarily account-bound whatever is bought for 3-7 days (make it random since Anet loves R.N.G. so kitten much) and limit the number of bids that can be made per account. It’s really really simple.

A little more transparency in the HISTORY of each item would be nice too though (like longer tracking of “X listed by Y sellers” and the same for bid-spam…)

Look at some of the items on our TP right now…. 1000+ quantities at a sale price 1 copper above what you could merch it for. All those postings would magically clean themselves up with a time limit. You’d see “buy orders” start to dominate the TP for those goods (assuming there’s a demand for them at all).

This is a problem with CRAFTING itself, not the Trading Post. It would be solved almost overnight if we had more Crafting Devs besides just Lindsey (who’s got her hands full with Scav hunt still …hopefully). I’m not sure hoooow, but they could probably come up with some sort of system to let specialized Disciplines salvage a lot more of the rarer materials that went into those items back off of them or at the very least let us salvage the Insignias back off like we used to be able to do in Gw1

(edited by ilr.9675)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Hell Avenger.7021

Time gate everything LOL

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

The main issue with this is that it discourages people from listing items.

This would primarily affect new players who don’t know which items sell and which don’t. Many items would not be listed at all, because it would not be worth listing them.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I would rather see you get the fee back as well. And make it 30 days.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

juno.1840

If there are shortages which drives prices up, then expect more people to post and therefore gain greater reward from the sale — that’s a win for the seller. Shortages also lead to more “buy orders” of increasing price which also benefits the seller.

The system works in other MMOs (actually every MMO I’ve played that had some form of a global marketplace like an auction hall or trading post).

A time limit encourages more active competition.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: aeneq.1760

aeneq.1760

Bad idea!

Time limit the transactions in itself will help drive prices down since more items will compete for the “knife blade” price, I don’t see the reason why you want to penalize people for not getting their items sold in addition to that.

Unless you specifically are after high priced goods and want to punish anyone who wants to sell them…

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

I’m totally against it. I pay to post my item, it better stay there until it sells or I choose to pull it off in which case I will lose my posting fee. If my items get taken off without my consent I want my fees reimbursed.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lisa.6102

Lisa.6102

Silly Idea.

I quite often will buy items mid week at a low price and list them for sale at price much higher than the current buy price because I know that come the weekend they will reach the price I have them listed for.

I will also buy higher priced items at a low and list them knowing full well it may take weeks to sell them, I choose to leave them sitting there waiting.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

I posted 500 -InsertRedactedFoodNameHere-. Within 2 days, 250 had sold. The next month had none of them sell. The past 4 days had the rest of them sell.

If you add a removal like what you’re saying, it will only hinder players with foresight.

in Black Lion Trading Co

juno.1840

Being able to park your goods in the TP indefinitely encourages certain behaviors that are not truly conducive to actual “trading”.

@aeneq: If you are making “knife blade” profits then chances are you did not acquire your goods from the game, but instead from the TP. So you are essentially saying a time limit will impact you as a “flipper” on the TP. Regardless you also state in different words that it makes the market place more competitive — and that was my goal with this idea.

@Yann: Think of it this way… you are paying to list your item for a certain duration. If there is no time limit, then what’s your motivation to price your good competitively? Only the urgency of your immediate gold needs. I’m sure you’ve played other MMOs that use this mechanic (pretty much every MMO). However I could still see an advantage to this idea even if your posting fee was refunded. It would require you to be a little more active in your posting if you are choosing to highball rather than truly sell.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Amun Ra.6435

Amun Ra.6435

I’m totally against it. I pay to post my item, it better stay there until it sells or I choose to pull it off in which case I will lose my posting fee. If my items get taken off without my consent I want my fees reimbursed.

Why? That’s the way it works in real also. You either pay maintenance fees to keep it up or it will be taken down after a certain time period.

in Black Lion Trading Co

juno.1840

I posted 500 -InsertRedactedFoodNameHere-. Within 2 days, 250 had sold. The next month had none of them sell. The past 4 days had the rest of them sell.

If you add a removal like what you’re saying, it will only hinder players with foresight.

Sorry but you had no foresight. You were playing the fluctuation which you had only a small clue on how it would behave. Otherwise you would have turned your profits a lot faster than in one month. Arguably you could have made more money if you reposted your goods for a quicker sell, allowing you to then go and buy/sell another round within that same one month time.

This is an important point. You lose money as a flipper the longer your goods sit around. The loss is in “lost profits” that you could have made if you were better about your pricing. A time limit forces player to be a bit better if they really want to sell their goods.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Julie Yann.5379

Being able to park your goods in the TP indefinitely encourages certain behaviors that are not truly conducive to actual “trading”.

@Yann: Think of it this way… you are paying to list your item for a certain duration. If there is no time limit, then what’s your motivation to price your good competitively? Only the urgency of your immediate gold needs. I’m sure you’ve played other MMOs that use this mechanic (pretty much every MMO). However I could still see an advantage to this idea even if your posting fee was refunded. It would require you to be a little more active in your posting if you are choosing to highball rather than truly sell.

I get what you are saying. I price my stuff pretty well and stuff usually sells pretty quick. I have no problems with my listings being removed if my fees are refunded. I sometimes craft some high priced slow moving items which take weeks to sell cause the demand for them is very limited and I don’t mind waiting for the it cause the profit is reasonable. No one would ever craft these anymore and would totally kill high end crafting. No more legendaries and precursors on the market, no more corrupted/molten/destroyer/charged weapons on the market and it’ll probably kill the ascended market before it even sees the light of day. I don’t think anyone would want to risk paying 5% on those items on a regular basis just to keep them on the TP.

(edited by Julie Yann.5379)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Sorry but you had no foresight. You were playing the fluctuation which you had only a small clue on how it would behave. Otherwise you would have turned your profits a lot faster than in one month. Arguably you could have made more money if you reposted your goods for a quicker sell, allowing you to then go and buy/sell another round within that same one month time.

This is an important point. You lose money as a flipper the longer your goods sit around. The loss is in “lost profits” that you could have made if you were better about your pricing. A time limit forces player to be a bit better if they really want to sell their goods.

I wasn’t flipping. I cooked the goods at a rate which would give me 10% profit. If I crafted it now and sold it at the price I listed it for, I would have made 1/2 the profit. Additionally, I made my money off of the original 250 sold (as the other 250 were used with goods I already had, although if you want to consider their price, so be it) and then used that money on other investments. Just because you would have pulled out doesn’t mean that I made the wrong choice for profit. I don’t care about how fast I can get my profit.

in Black Lion Trading Co

juno.1840

For the high end stuff like precursors you would see “buy orders” dominate over “sell orders”. The buy orders will set the market price unless there are sellers who think they know the market well enough to stomach the fee risk of posting a 600gp precursor. Those sellers would be encourage to truly “sell” their precursors rather than just push them out indefinitely at some unreasonable price.

This idea actually encourages “selling” on the TP which is what it’s their for.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Julie Yann.5379

For the high end stuff like precursors you would see “buy orders” dominate over “sell orders”. The buy orders will set the market price unless there are sellers who think they know the market well enough to stomach the fee risk of posting a 600gp precursor. Those sellers would be encourage to truly “sell” their precursors rather than just push them out indefinitely at some unreasonable price.

This idea actually encourages “selling” on the TP which is what it’s their for.

Have you seen the buy orders for these items (other than the precursors of course)? Most of them don’t ever cover the price of the required mats. You could say to farm the mats but why would I craft something if I can sell the individual pieces for more than the whole. I guess maybe over time the buy orders might climb up enough to make it worth while for someone to craft one but I am kind of skeptical about that cause I don’t think the demand for those items is high enough to promote enough competition amongst the buyers to drive the price up to a reasonable sum.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Um, posting time limits would actually reduce competition on the TP. I don’t get the logic presented (well, there wasn’t any!)

in Black Lion Trading Co

juno.1840

Um, posting time limits would actually reduce competition on the TP. I don’t get the logic presented (well, there wasn’t any!)

Nor did you provide any logic of your own… however there is a lot of discussion above which you probably skipped.

If you have a time limit and you want to sell your goods, then you price them to sell. If they don’t sell then you will repost them, this time trying a little harder to sell.

The logic is more posts == more competition by players that are actually trying to sell.

Right now you can post your items once and walk away — those items never enter the market place again until they actually sell. With a time limit they will continue to re-enter the market as long as the owner truly wants to sell.

If you don’t truly want to sell your goods, then what are you doing in the TP?

It sounds like people feel entitled to “easy money” without having to work at it. If you want to earn money on the TP then you should have to work at it and face suitable risk for your reward.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Obtena.7952

The logic is more posts == more competition by players that are actually trying to sell.

This is what i was getting at … so if more posts == more competition, how does limiting posting increase competition as well as you claim in the original post? That’s a contradiction

I could speculate that if you are going to limit posting through some scheme, players will hoard stuff until it’s worth it for them to use their precious post limits. That’s not going to make things cheaper. Of course, that’s just one of hundreds of behavioural impacts such a thing would cause and there is no definitive way you can conclude post limits would result in any predictable effect.

Maybe this is just crazy talk but I don’t think you have the behaviour of market posters nailed down well enough to conclude your suggestion will have the desired impact.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

The trading post is fine as it is. Everyone has the same capability to make money off of it. People who complain are those unwilling to make the effort to play it anyway.

If you did change it anyway, the exact same people would profit off the TP, because they are the ones willing to learn & profit off the market. People who don’t play the TP now won’t even with a change like this, because the manipulation and power trading they want to end will still exist.

Ranger | Elementalist

in Black Lion Trading Co

juno.1840

@Obtena: If you have to repost your goods every 2 or 3 days because of a duration limit, then you are posting more often than in the current model.

@Ryan: It’s only “fine” to you because you don’t like this idea. The thought of actually posting to ensure a sale (becuase of a duration limit) will tighten the profit margin of flippers.

(edited by juno.1840)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

The thought of actually posting to ensure a sale (becuase of a duration limit) will tighten the profit margin of flippers.

It will not tighten any profit margin. It will tighten the amound of items people will be willing to supply, instead of salvaging or vendoring for a guaranteed tiny profit.

A guaranteed profit, that is much higher with the system we currently have in place.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: SeasThyDay.7398

SeasThyDay.7398

Are you suggesting that there be a time limit on both buy and sell orders? Because if you are, that sounds almost fine to me. Put in a 15 percent offer listing fee as well, and it’d be great.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

The purpose of removing the item (or bid to be fair about it) is that supply, based on total items for sale, will then reflect the current interest on the item rather than some old (I’m saying 30 days), over (or under) priced supply.

And I’m for returning the fees, at least for the first time the trading post database is swept for ancient bids and sales. It’s not those players fault that the rules change fo the TP change. After all the purpose of the posting fee is to encourage reasonable initial pricing so maybe it shouldn’t be permanently blunted.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: isendel.5049

isendel.5049

The whole idea of removing listings after a short while would damage casual TP users, while being of no effect on flippers.

Why?

I used to flip some items so i could pay the bills (and the t3 armor for my two asuras) and i ensure you that my item never listed for more than 1h. It’s simple, the fastest you sell, even with a low margin, the fastest you can reinvest your money and the more you gain. So the gold sink of relisting items would never affect those players.

On the other side there is a very consistent amount of players that do not spend 30 min every morning, just after waking up, roaming gw2spidy and sites like that. Those players can be new to the whole game or simply don’t enjoy playing the TP. I was one of them in the first time, months ago. No need to say that i listed some things at prices that were too high (undercutting by 1c the lowest listing but it probably was a moment of peak). The mats i listed sold 2 months later. It wasn’t much, i didn’t need to relist and i left them hanging there.

Now, these are the two main realities in our game: “professional” traders and “casual” traders. Adding a time limit to TP would (badly?) hurt the second category, while it would be of no impact on the first.
That’s why we won’t be seeing it, ANET is trying to keep the game balanced for casual players and, anyway, even if they introduce it, it wouldn’t change much for flippers, which are the most hated category in this forum, every day a lot of posts on how to nerf their profit comes out (mostly due to envy and spite in my opinion..)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Obtena.7952

@Obtena: If you have to repost your goods every 2 or 3 days because of a duration limit, then you are posting more often than in the current model.

You can do that now, The difference is that currently, it’s a choice. Your method would make it forced.

That still doesn’t change the fact that you can’t claim it would lower priced through competition because the market is a reflection of people’s behaviour.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Ug. Do not want.

If I have to micro-manage my stock that closely, I’m gonna vendor it, not post it. Prices will go down, right up to the moment where supply abruptly ceases to exist.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Black Lion Trading Co

juno.1840

Ug. Do not want.

If I have to micro-manage my stock that closely, I’m gonna vendor it, not post it. Prices will go down, right up to the moment where supply abruptly ceases to exist.

You will definitely post it on the TP if the profit is there to be had — don’t kid yourself. You’ll vendor items that were vendor trash to begin with.

You can expand this idea to buy orders as well. If you put a duration on buy orders it will keep the buy orders more competitive, although to a lesser degree because there is no penalty on an unsuccessful buy order.

This also solves another problem that exists on the TP currently and that has to do with the TP not being FIFO. If you put a sell order in on an item which is the 100th order at that price, you are not necessary the 100th in line. There’s an algorithm ANet uses on the TP to determine which item in the stack of 100 is the one next sold.

This idea would allow the TP sales to be FIFO because all sell orders would now have an internal time-stamp.

As for server load to constantly check time stamps for all existing sell orders (to determine when orders expire), that’s merely an exercise in smart coding. For example, the server can construct a flat chronological list of sell orders as they are created. This list is in parallel to the existing database of all orders. The server merely has to evaluate the current time with the oldest order in the chronological list — boom almost zero server load (at the expense of a storage space for the chronological list which is arguably cheap).

in Black Lion Trading Co

mtpelion.4562

You have to take two important factors into consideration:

Will this limit profits?

Will this limit convenience?

If the answer to either question above is “Yes”, then you can expect a significant negative impact on the game economy.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Julie Yann.5379

This whole thing sounds like all it will do is make it harder to make money off the TP and make it a pain in the kitten to manage, especially if you lose your fees in the process. Most people don’t want to be spending all there in game time watching prices to make sure they market everything just right. Most of them take a guess put it up and go play the rest of the game and forget about it. One day they log on and find money in their bank. It would limit the TP to hardcore TP players cause they are the only ones that would enjoy it. This is not stock market simulator game with adventure on the side. It is a MMO with a trading post for all to enjoy and the last thing most people want is to turn it into a second job.

in Black Lion Trading Co

juno.1840

The goal of this idea is not to limit profits. The goals are:

1. Increased gold sink for the economy (inflation prevention)
2. More competitive trading post (resulting in lower prices)

@mtpelion: A “significant negative impact” on economy is a bit over the top I think. You’ve played other MMOs with this feature, have you not?

Look, if there’s profit to be made on the TP, there will be skilled players to make it. This idea is not some thinly veiled attempt to stick it in TP traders who flip for profit. It’s a way to meet the goals I mentioned above.

in Black Lion Trading Co

mtpelion.4562

@juno: I’ve played one other MMO (WoW), that had a trading system and while it did have built in expiration, there are a few significant differences:
1. Crafting was mostly pointless outside of the first 2 weeks of a new tier.
2. Markets were server specific.
3. The limits were already in place (i.e. status quo), whereas you are proposing adding a new limit which will shock the economy here.

I do think that the impact would be extremely negative in the long term. Casual players are not going to be constantly relisting their items, they are simply going to vendor them if they don’t sell immediately. Even flippers are going to have a line where relisting is going to result in a net loss due to the fees (which will not get refunded as they are the main gold sink in this game).

Long term, you can expect available goods to dwindle because it is just more convenient to vendor, increased inflation as the number of transactions declines, and significantly higher prices on the TP creating a barrier for new players (and most existing players).

I understand that those old listings are annoying, but a time limit is an unnecessary inconvenience that will have a significant negative impact.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Hell Avenger.7021

I will just say one thing, this suggestion is ridiculous. all your “value added” had been refuted in my second post. Stop feeding the troll.

in Black Lion Trading Co

juno.1840

I will just say one thing, this suggestion is ridiculous. all your “value added” had been refuted in my second post. Stop feeding the troll.

You didn’t really refute anything. You argument about trapping money didn’t make any sense. There already is a gold sink in the TP, this doesn’t change the gold sink.

The sink is a good thing because it’s designed to prevent a number of bad economic things — including inflation. This idea provides more sink and therefore more inflation prevention (see goal #1).

You didn’t refute anything about goal #2 which was a more competitive market place.

in Black Lion Trading Co

mtpelion.4562

The problem with your premise is similar to how when you raise capital gains taxes you actually make less tax revenue because it causes people (especially low margin people) to leave the market entirely. Each transaction makes you more money, but there are significantly less transaction now because you made it inconvenient or unprofitable to engage in the transactions.

The end result is that there will be less people utilizing the TP which will cause inflation to spike and ultimately the opposite of your goal will occur.

in Black Lion Trading Co

juno.1840

The problem with your premise is similar to how when you raise capital gains taxes you actually make less tax revenue because it causes people (especially low margin people) to leave the market entirely. Each transaction makes you more money, but there are significantly less transaction now because you made it inconvenient or unprofitable to engage in the transactions.

The end result is that there will be less people utilizing the TP which will cause inflation to spike and ultimately the opposite of your goal will occur.

I don’t think this would occur, however for the sake of argument this effect would be mitigated because TP has the “buy order” feature. The buy orders provide a clue as to the demand for items. If you don’t see any buy orders then clearly nobody is interested in the item you are trying to sell.

If you get a drop worth 10g, you’re not going to merch it for 2sp — period. That’s the argument some Players are using to counter this idea. In this example you could simply fill the highest buy order for zero risk, undercut the lowest sell order (which is what happens in a real market), or try to maximize your profit but with greater risk (and therefore greater reward) with a higher sell order.

One problem now is there is no increased risk associated with higher profits in the market (other than the virtual “lost profits” if you are flipping high volumes and your flip doesn’t occur right away because you put in too high a sell order). A post time limit introduces the increased risk for the higher rewards.

The risk will drive some sellers to make more competitive sell orders.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Hell Avenger.7021

You didn’t really refute anything. You argument about trapping money didn’t make any sense. There already is a gold sink in the TP, this doesn’t change the gold sink.

The sink is a good thing because it’s designed to prevent a number of bad economic things — including inflation. This idea provides more sink and therefore more inflation prevention (see goal #1).

You didn’t refute anything about goal #2 which was a more competitive market place.

the Effect of transaction volume with 15% tax > trapping money and decrease transaction volume.

The gold printing machine will keep on rolling, but you want to curtail one of the biggest deflationary device. If you set rule to trap sell order, you DID NOT consider the effect on people’s behavior.

YOU got this idea, “oh people will just sell at lower price to ensure their item get sold.” Meanwhile, PEOPLE’s wealth keep on growing due to inflation, and they start to compete to buy. It will have ZERO effect on curtailing inflation, and make it worse due to decrease in transaction volume/tax.

YOU have to UNDERSTAND, money supply is the determining factor of INFLATION and not sellers/price setters.

I’ll be very honest, your arguments make no sense and you refuse to take in other people’s perspectives. A lot of reply you are getting are from people who actually work in the investment and finance industry. We don’t come in and make stupid comments.

Extremely frustrating talking to someone that is financially illiterate sometimes.

(edited by Hell Avenger.7021)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

To be fair, maybe there is something lost since English is not your 1st language?

Serenity now~Insanity later

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Ug. Do not want.

You will definitely post it on the TP if the profit is there to be had — don’t kid yourself. You’ll vendor items that were vendor trash to begin with.

I’m NOT kidding myself – I’ve played with limited listing times on nearly a dozen other MMOs at this point and the result is always the same – after losing my listing fees a few times on items being crafted for miniscule profit (in games where crafting actually takes some effort…) and it becomes clear that I’m wasting my time even trying to provide reasonably priced stock. The window for buyer and seller to connect simply closes too quickly.

It RAPIDLY exceeds my patience for a part of the game I consider pretty dang tertiary to begin with. I’ve greatly enjoyed this game’s approach where I can simply ignore failed offerings until the fluctuating tide eventually comes back around and someone wants my stock.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Black Lion Trading Co

juno.1840

YOU have to UNDERSTAND, money supply is the determining factor of INFLATION and not sellers/price setters.

So gold sink has ZERO effect on inflation?

You think this idea will NOT increase the gold sink?

You think the TP generates wealth?

If gold sink reduces inflation, and this idea increased gold sink, then this idea satisfies one of the goals I’ve stated.

If the TP generates wealth and you think this idea reduces TP activity, then this idea reduces money supply, and therefore satisfies the goal.

I’m very interested in feedback on this idea (even yours) — however simply saying “I’m a financial god an you are not therefore your idea is stupid” is not constructive at all.

in Black Lion Trading Co

aeneq.1760

@aeneq: If you are making “knife blade” profits then chances are you did not acquire your goods from the game, but instead from the TP. So you are essentially saying a time limit will impact you as a “flipper” on the TP. Regardless you also state in different words that it makes the market place more competitive — and that was my goal with this idea.

Ofcourse it will make the prices go down since it will be more stuff in play around the current low price, but its interesting that you totally ignore the issue I had with not returning the listing fee which was my main “issue” with your suggestion.

in Black Lion Trading Co

aeneq.1760

So gold sink has ZERO effect on inflation?

You think this idea will NOT increase the gold sink?

You think the TP generates wealth?

Yes it is a gold sink, anything that adds a loss of gold is. However will it be triggered in any large extent that it would have an impact? All TP players will try to stay away from triggering this sink since it limits their profits, this means lower prices.

This means youll probably have less people relisting than you have now which measn your sink is negative, also it means lower cost overall which will mean less from the transaction fee sink AND the listing fee sink.

Also why do you think you need to curb inflation? Heck with the gold ANet has distributed with the chest one would assume inflation is less of a concern than you would think.

Also if you REALLY want to do something about inflation, fixing and trixing with the TP is not an efficient way todo it. You are better of reducing salvage ratios, vendor prices, drop chances or adding new consumables.

In general new consumables is the way togo since it moves the game experience forward (give gold/take away gold but give some intangible feel good from it).

in Black Lion Trading Co

juno.1840

More gold available to Players leads to inflation because now they can buy things that were previously “unaffordable”. Similarly gold sinks remove gold from the economy which helps prevent inflation because the gold leaves the “system”.

I mentioned previously that even with returning the listing fee (if the items don’t sell) it would be a good idea. If the hang up is listing fee then there are many options available including variable fees based upon listing times, a partially returned fee upon failure to sell, or a fully returned fee. Lots of parameters that can be used to tune the system.

EDIT: I don’t think we can say “relists” will go down if players leave the TP, and some Players probably will stop using “sell orders”. However there will be more “relists” due to time limited sell orders. I think the increase in relists from expiring sell orders will outweigh the loss of relists from players who stop using “sell orders”. Remember the system can be “tuned” as I mentioned above to ensure desired performance.

If there’s money to be made in the TP, it still will be made by those determined to do so. This idea would benefit casual players by the reduction of inflation and the increased competitiveness of sell orders. Many of us think the casual players are the ones who simply sell using “highest buy order” instead of trying to list a competitive “sell order”.

(edited by juno.1840)