Impending Significant Dye Changes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

The source is unconfirmed, but I highly doubt someone would write a wall of text just for lulz.

Here is the related link
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/20smr4/mike_obrien_interview_on_the_chinese_version_of/

There’s a bunch of other goodies there, but the tldr on dyes is as follows:
They want to make the same dye system in China as in NA/EU, where dyes are accountbound. This involves having the dyes only coming from crafting and and the gem store.

There is no word on what would happen to unid dyes, and whether they would play a part in crafting.

My opinion for this is as follows:
-If these changes become an existing alternative (meaning we still have the current dye system + account bound dye unlocks from the gem store), then it’s a great move. Having alternative choices is always a good thing
-If these changes revamp the dye system and replace it with these account bound, gem store dyes, then I’m afraid this would be extremely controversial and disastrous for some.

Since the dye system is already available for beta, one could expect this to come from the feature patch.

At this time, I don’t know my speculative position on unids.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

A key word here is WANT. Which would suggest that they haven’t quite figured out how (or even if) they are able to add it into our version of the game in a good way without kitten off too many people.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

Because I have determined a good way to actually have sort of account bound dyes (only need to buy a dye 3 times maximum), I guess I’m sort of indifferent. I would be a little upset if we lost our current dye choices, but given how much of a kittenstorm would happen if they got rid of our current dyes, I doubt they’d do that.

Anyway, given the uses of unidentified dyes in at least one high end item, I find it odd that they would consider taking it away. So I don’t know. Very interesting.

If it is just account bound dye unlocks from the gem store, and not a mandatory thing, I would support than entirely. I’ve bought 2 Pyres and really would rather not have to buy my third.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Vol.7601

Because I have determined a good way to actually have sort of account bound dyes (only need to buy a dye 3 times maximum), I guess I’m sort of indifferent. I would be a little upset if we lost our current dye choices, but given how much of a kittenstorm would happen if they got rid of our current dyes, I doubt they’d do that.

Anyway, given the uses of unidentified dyes in at least one high end item, I find it odd that they would consider taking it away. So I don’t know. Very interesting.

If it is just account bound dye unlocks from the gem store, and not a mandatory thing, I would support than entirely. I’ve bought 2 Pyres and really would rather not have to buy my third.

Maybe this is how it works, but since the translation is unclear and we don’t have enough information, we have to speculate…

Ideally you would be able to buy the Dye Identifier from the gem store, for say, 500 gems.

Then you come with your Pyre dye, the identifier + 2 other components which will end up giving you an account Pyre dye.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Lilith Ajit.6173

Maybe this is how it works, but since the translation is unclear and we don’t have enough information, we have to speculate…

Ideally you would be able to buy the Dye Identifier from the gem store, for say, 500 gems.

Then you come with your Pyre dye, the identifier + 2 other components which will end up giving you an account Pyre dye.

This makes sense, but it also seems like a punishment to anyone who used the dye before this change. I’m fine with gemstore additions and such, and I personally would prefer a gemstore consumable that you double click, and then click on the dye in your color panel you would like to have account bound. This would be worth 500 gems, to me. Possibly more, but there would be a point where no dye was worth “account binding”. However, I feel this method would be ideal for altoholics like myself.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

-If these changes revamp the dye system and replace it with these account bound, gem store dyes, then I’m afraid this would be extremely controversial and disastrous for some.

What people always overlook seems to be that it was mentioned that there are still CRAFTED Dyes.

Dye unlocks now come only from crafting and from the gem store.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Chef

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

I can imagine something as simple as this:

Good news everyone! Dyes will be account wide unlocks now. Every dye you already have on any single character will be available to all your characters now. In order to open an unidentified dye in the future you will need an identifier which you can conveniently find in the gem store.

Flash sale for 24h only – unlimited identifier! For only 3s per use this identifier will never run out of charges!

Crafted dyes – let’s imagine those would not need an identifier to open … could balance things out a little?

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Lilith Ajit.6173

Good news everyone! Dyes will be account wide unlocks now. Every dye you already have on any single character will be available to all your characters now. In order to open an unidentified dye in the future you will need an identifier which you can conveniently find in the gem store.

Flash sale for 24h only – unlimited identifier! For only 3s per use this identifier will never run out of charges!

Crafted dyes – let’s imagine those would not need an identifier to open … could balance things out a little?

I would not mind this… even the flash sale. I check every day if there is something new that I might want.

The only thing I would say, is I would email support and request compensation (even if its just a few free identifiers) for my 2 extra abyss, pyre, celestial, and any other high end dye I’ve bought multiple times. Whether they granted it or not, I would still ask

[ARES]

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

500 gems is WAY too much for what is essentially a Black Lion key to unlock a dye chest…
I know you guys love you some RNG but that is way more expensive than comparable items of similar quality.

We wouldn’t get the dye identifier though, they would just make all dyes account bound, clean up their database by adding all your character dyes to your account dye panel, and add gem store dye packs (already there), more dye recipes?, and make the drops rarer.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I think in China it’s less than 40 gems a pop to identify. We have over 400 dyes right now, a 500 gem price would be outrageous.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Rouven.7409

I think if this truly is an official interview, then Anet seems to be ready to talk about it and we should see something here soon in any case.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Beldin.5498

“Dye unlocks now come only from crafting and from the gem store "

I think that is totally clear that the crafted dyes don’t need an identifier since he said UNLOCKS come from crafting.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Guys… Its kind of important to remember that the Chinese release is a blank slate. They can do account bound dyes there because no one anywhere in that version of the game has EVER bought 2 dyes of the same color and used them on different characters.

We play in a very different environment, and making changes to the live servers that don’t infuriate your players has to respect that some of us have bought Abyss 3-4 times already and account bound solutions are going to either involve a LOT of dyes being refunded, or players being rightfully angry that they can get colors account bound now, but any past copies are just being written over without recompense.

There is a reason they haven’t said anything about what may or may not change in our client – because its not certain which way they’ll jump or if they even can code an equitable shift in paradigm.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Rouven.7409

“Dye unlocks now come only from crafting and from the gem store "

I think that is totally clear that the crafted dyes don’t need an identifier since he said UNLOCKS come from crafting.

Yep, saw that afterwards but didn’t bother editing. Heh, that works too I guess. 1000 silk to craft an identifier. Just kidding, we’ll see – could be really good.

At the end of the day it will be interesting to see if it’s still worth it getting dyes through laurels for example.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

In the new system, identified dyes are not tradeable. If you have to pay to identify dyes, the RNG better be limited to the dyes you don’t have, else it’s going to be quite pricey. The only account bound dyes we’ll probably get are new ones added to gem store dye packs, and I doubt they’ll be tradeable like they are now.

Personally, I wouldn’t even bother with dyes, which I already do for my alts. I’d prefer to see the Chinese implementation without the fee – basically the same system as it is now except unlocks are account bound and you can’t trade the actual (identified) dyes.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

I would LOVE dyes to become account bound, and I think it would be excellent for the gem store because it would make the dye packs appealing to collectors looking to complete the set.

I think the best solution for everyone is to implement a system to return a non-bound dye for every duplicate unlocked dye on an account. So if you have two abyss dyes unlocked, you get an abyss dye back which you can sell. This would mean more people selling spare dyes, but also more people buying dyes, so it would balance out a bit. Moreover, while the dyes people have unlocked a lot may go down a bit (say abyss), the dyes people tend not to want will go up as people want the set, again balancing the system out a bit.

The main problem I think is in the returning. Obviously mailing everyone the dyes would be a problem, but they MIGHT be able to code something like:

Go to a vendor, which opens up a special menu with all of your dyes for that character. Click on a dye, and it disappears from your character and appears in your inventory. This would mean that players manually had to take it upon themselves to deal with their duplicate dyes, rather than clogging the mail system. More streamlined versions of this could flag up only duplicate dyes, or ideally simply list every duplicate dye on the account the number of times it exists. Thus it takes only one trip to the vendor (and a lot of clicking) to convert spare dyes to sellable ones.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

This would be cool, though it seemed to me like they were making dyes themselves only available via gem store, not also adding identifiers (that seemed to be how it was happening in China). I would prefer not to have to worry about identifiers.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

In any case, if i was speculating in dyes and holding some valuable ones, i would cash in now.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Minato.5294

Minato.5294

Obviously this is a clever ploy by a dye collector trying to get people to empty their inventory of high-end dyes and lower their price so he can control that market.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wanze.8410

Obviously this is a clever ploy by a dye collector trying to get people to empty their inventory of high-end dyes and lower their price so he can control that market.

Obviously, every clever dye collector would have sold all his high end dyes as soon as Anet announced daily sales in March in anticipation of exclusive dye packs going on sale again.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Vol.7601

I’VE BEEN SPOTTED

You can thank Wanze for providing me with the capital to control the dye market

in Black Lion Trading Co

Nike.2631

High end dyes? Are you kidding? Now is the time to corner Coriander Seeds and if you can’t see why, I’m not telling…

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: pswendel.8179

pswendel.8179

I’VE BEEN SPOTTED

I’d be more inclined to accuse you of having hoarded corriandor and crafted dye packs to dump on the speculators

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wanze.8410

High end dyes? Are you kidding? Now is the time to corner Coriander Seeds and if you can’t see why, I’m not telling…

Good luck cornering a market for an item that is easily farmable…

in Black Lion Trading Co

Nike.2631

Like “easily farmable” has ever stopped people from paying ludicrous prices…

((eyes iron ore/ingots))

If the cooking recipe can produce account-wide Celestial/Abyss in the future, the cost of its mats is going to explode.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wanze.8410

I’VE BEEN SPOTTED

I’d be more inclined to accuse you of having hoarded corriandor and crafted dye packs to dump on the speculators

Considering that Unidentified Gray Dyes have been very stable (due to a stable supply of coriander and Orrian Truffle) and dont even give a profit for crafting despite costing 200 karma, i dont see them spiking anytime soon.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: pswendel.8179

pswendel.8179

I’VE BEEN SPOTTED

Considering that Unidentified Gray Dyes have been very stable (due to a stable supply of coriander and Orrian Truffle) and dont even give a profit for crafting despite costing 200 karma, i dont see them spiking anytime soon.

I suppose I am looking forward to the possibility of that being the only way to attain dyes should the changes Mike mentioned in his interview come to Na/EU.

Speculators are where I make my money

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wanze.8410

Like “easily farmable” has ever stopped people from paying ludicrous prices…

((eyes iron ore/ingots))

If the cooking recipe can produce account-wide Celestial/Abyss in the future, the cost of its mats is going to explode.

If Dyes become account-wide, the demand for dyes will ebb down and their prices will drop.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: jazzllanna.1278

jazzllanna.1278

My fear from this- if it happens- Is that the gemstore sets like flame and frost ect will become account bound. So you can have the dye across all your characters but you have to open it yourself from the gemstore rng pack.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Nike.2631

If Dyes become account-wide, the demand for dyes will ebb down and their prices will drop.

Yes and no. There’s a lot of demand out there that says “for just one character isn’t worth it…” that will look at the (vastly) increased functionality and be moved to buy.

The current market goes down, but a whole new audience enters play.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Beldin.5498

Also the supply will go down if dyes only can be crafted or opened via gemstore stuff, so in the end the prices may be even higher.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Alfador.7649

Alfador.7649

If this poses a threat to unidentified dyes, I’m, sure the relevant question is… what happens with Bifrost?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

Yes and no. There’s a lot of demand out there that says “for just one character isn’t worth it…” that will look at the (vastly) increased functionality and be moved to buy.

The current market goes down, but a whole new audience enters play.

Personal speculation: A rather short peak in prices, as people speculate on the market of ‘for just one character it isn’t worth ist…’ and ‘supply will go down’, then ebb out for a good while – until the market of identified dyes is mostly empty. Then it’ll probably go up again (some) as the lowered supply registers.

Polka will never die

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Riko.1309

Riko.1309

I seriously hope no one would actually defend anet by doing this. Making dyes account wide would be great, but since this is Anet, you know it will be done in a way that kittenes the majority of people off. The current dye system is fine. I do not want to NEED gems to even simply unlock them, even the idea of an Unlimited Identifier is ridiculous.

Jacquie – Elementalist – Tarnished Coast

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

Considering the insane price of unidentified dies….I`d welcome a change of any sort, just to reset the situation in some way.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Shadow Blade.1324

Shadow Blade.1324

for those of you who don’t recall dyes were originally going to be account bound and after they added a certain monetization manager to the team they became character bound(so they can sell more dyes), they also told the people literally begging them in Beta before the game had launched to keep it account wide that this was the plan for character progression, to make them more individual and that they would not be account wide.

id really like to see what their justification is this time, because clearly it cant be player feedback, as they paid no attention when they got it before the game launched.

what is wrong with the devs that they cant plan long term, we keep seeing systems changes again and again complete 180s while they trot out “we are learning and listening to your feedback” like its some kind of talisman that protects them from looking incompetent.

i wish the devs had a consistent vision and didn’t push out content they know is flawed

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: FrozenStarRo.7240

FrozenStarRo.7240

If it gets implemented I’d hope they’ll be reasonable enough to take the character with most dyes on an account and unlock across alts, instead of wiping clean a dye panel most of us spent a lot of G on.

Keep dyes unidentified but generate a new, previously unlocked color when the gemstore item is used. Don’t give out copies. We don’t want a rehash of the LW tie-in dye packs giving us the same crappy blue rarity mundane color we unlocked ages ago instead of the new tones.

Make crafted dyes unlockable on the whim, without a dye processor thing. It would be a method to acquire them in-game without spending money, but it will take a while considering mats. This would also be beneficial to stabilize the market and make cooking mats a bit more valuable.

in Black Lion Trading Co

lordkrall.7241

for those of you who don’t recall dyes were originally going to be account bound and after they added a certain monetization manager to the team they became character bound(so they can sell more dyes), they also told the people literally begging them in Beta before the game had launched to keep it account wide that this was the plan for character progression, to make them more individual and that they would not be account wide.

id really like to see what their justification is this time, because clearly it cant be player feedback, as they paid no attention when they got it before the game launched.

what is wrong with the devs that they cant plan long term, we keep seeing systems changes again and again complete 180s while they trot out “we are learning and listening to your feedback” like its some kind of talisman that protects them from looking incompetent.

Oh, you mean that change that was made about 6 months after said certain manager was hired? So clearly said manager didn’t do anything at all the first 6 months then?

They were account-bound in some of the betas. And they were arguable WORSE than the current system.
It was basically:
Find a seed.
Plant a seed.
Wait 24 hours.
Get a dye.

And funnily enough I remember from beta people that “begged them” to change that as well. So clearly they did listen to the players. And in retrospect I would say the current system is quite superior to the early one.

Things change. The market change. New technology and ideas turn up.
The system being talked about for the Chinese version is not even close to the system we had over here originally, so clearly they have done some major changes which might very well end up being better than both the first and the second version of our game.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Flytrap.8075

Flytrap.8075

I hate the Gem Store.

Monthly fees keep looking better and better.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

in Black Lion Trading Co

Vol.7601

We could be getting news on dyepacks on March 24

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/feature-packs/

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wanze.8410

We could be getting news on dyepacks on March 24

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/feature-packs/

Gonna be nice to see how the market reacts. Personally, i dont trade in dyes and dont intend to start now but will keep a keen eye on the market for the next week.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Faowri.4159

Faowri.4159

Oh, you mean that change that was made about 6 months after said certain manager was hired? So clearly said manager didn’t do anything at all the first 6 months then?

They were account-bound in some of the betas. And they were arguable WORSE than the current system.
It was basically:
Find a seed.
Plant a seed.
Wait 24 hours.
Get a dye.

And funnily enough I remember from beta people that “begged them” to change that as well. So clearly they did listen to the players. And in retrospect I would say the current system is quite superior to the early one.

Things change. The market change. New technology and ideas turn up.
The system being talked about for the Chinese version is not even close to the system we had over here originally, so clearly they have done some major changes which might very well end up being better than both the first and the second version of our game.

In the early system, you could also buy ‘plant food’ from the gemstore to speed up dye creation. The backlash from that and the whole “inventing deliberate inconvenience so that you can sell convenience items” design is pretty much why it got canned.

I really would love account bound dyes. UIDs tend to sit in my bank for weeks while I deliberate over who gets them. But I’ll be really disappointed if that change includes removing the random drops so that dyes can be locked behind the gemstore or crafting (something not every player bothers with). They’re the highlight of my casual adventuring loot! Even if I invariably end up with various shades of poo brown :P

Reduce random drops by all means to reduce supply, if need be. But I’ve been playing since the early start, don’t buy dye packs or buy them off the trading post, and to be honest, I don’t have that many dyes. Miles off the available 400, even if I concatenated the dye collections for my various characters.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

While i would love account bound dye’s, i would hate it this way. I rather buy each dye 8x for all my chars, then do it this way, so bad is this proposal. Please no chinese grind in EU/NA. Keep it chill out like it is now.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: crystalpink.2487

crystalpink.2487

Hmm, I kinda like some of the systems in CN GW2~

Interesting pricing, too —> 88 RMB (goodbye RMB) lol

Euphemia Hime (Elementalist), Pinky Pearl (Mesmer), Avicenia (Ranger), Vanille Morgana (Necromancer)
Chibi Asura San (Engineer), Hikaru Masai (Guardian), Selene Minerva (Revenant)
Guild: The Bunnies [Bun] ~ Server: Jade Quarry

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

One of the upcoming blog posts is called “A Colorful Outlook”… so I’m betting that dye changes are confirmed.

Also hoping for wardrobe closet since there is another blog post entitled “A New Way to Explore the Looks of Guild Wars 2”. Not betting on that one though.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

(edited by Jabberwock.9014)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

In the early system, you could also buy ‘plant food’ from the gemstore to speed up dye creation. The backlash from that and the whole “inventing deliberate inconvenience so that you can sell convenience items” design is pretty much why it got canned.

I think Anet has pretty much beaten the community into submission on that, they should have no problem reintroducing it.

See Endless continue coin, airship pass, watchwork pick, item splitter, etc…

I’d say most of their decisions are about taking away convenience or designing things poorly in order to introduce gem store items. They used the frog in the pot approach and it seems to have worked quite well on most players.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: RemiRome.8495

RemiRome.8495

But neither of those things are even remotely close to the dye thing.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Esmee.1067

Esmee.1067

How would they change a system so drasticly anyway?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Its 100% that dyes will become account bound and only obtainable via crafting or gem store.

Anet are sync’ing together NA/EU & China. All the changes needed to NA/EU are being made via the 15.4.14 features patch.

in Black Lion Trading Co

lordkrall.7241

Its 100% that dyes will become account bound and only obtainable via crafting or gem store.

Anet are sync’ing together NA/EU & China. All the changes needed to NA/EU are being made via the 15.4.14 features patch.

I would love to see an actual confirmation on that, because I must have missed all those changes from the Chinese version coming here.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square