Infinite Gathering Tools Trickery

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zale.9645

Zale.9645

Whatever dev happens across this, please take note. I spent money on both the [Molten Alliance Mining Pick] and the [Consortium Harvesting Sickle] because I was elated at the idea of gathering tools that don’t expire.

That being said, I know all the games. I know all the tricks. Do not in the future introduce some higher material for which these tools are useless and then sell essentially the same thing. It is at that point I would take my online business elsewhere.

I do not imply that you will, only that the temptation may exist. But it’s a dirty trick and I feel the need to make you aware of that—hopefully—before the idea pops into your heads.

I will never play WvW until Map Completion there is removed.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

The tools explicitly state on them “unlimited uses, can harvest all ore/plants”, changing that would amount to false advertising if they were to take your money and then change the items functionality.

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

The tools explicitly state on them “unlimited uses, can harvest all ore/plants”, changing that would amount to false advertising if they were to take your money and then change the items functionality.

That is not actually true. It says it has unlimited uses and that it is equivalent to an Orichalcum sickle/pick. If some resource ends up requiring a tool higher than orichalcum then these are also going to fail.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

At the same time though, if they introduce new material tiers beyond T6, that would also mean that they’ve introduced a new tier of items. I think that would be a far more grave mistake, given the backlash over Ascended items.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Hawk.3574

Hawk.3574

My hope would be they add new tools so a 4th to gather amber chunks and jadeite shards a 5th to fish ect in addition to the 3 we have currently.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mourningcry.9428

Mourningcry.9428

Whatever dev happens across this, please take note. I spent money on both the [Molten Alliance Mining Pick] and the [Consortium Harvesting Sickle] because I was elated at the idea of gathering tools that don’t expire.

That being said, I know all the games. I know all the tricks. Do not in the future introduce some higher material for which these tools are useless and then sell essentially the same thing. It is at that point I would take my online business elsewhere.

I do not imply that you will, only that the temptation may exist. But it’s a dirty trick and I feel the need to make you aware of that—hopefully—before the idea pops into your heads.

I get this..

But even if they do introduce a new tier of mats, it doesn’t really affect the effectiveness of the two unlimited tools – they’re still good for all T1-T6. That’s still not too shabby.

Assuming T7+ nodes will be of limited availability, the two tools still cover a vast majority. Not all together that bad.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Their original plan included the ability to increase the level cap. With that in mind, in 5 years, would you expect to craft level 100+ armor with orichalcum?

They were marketed as unlimited use orichalcum level tools. That will never change, so the only false advertising would be to upgrade them past that of the regular tools.

Their tooltips, which are the same as orichalcum level tools, simply mean that they can gather all known materials. If something is ever added, the tooltip will simply be updated, much like how real life products have to be updated when new info is discovered, though they usually list everything in the fine print already.

There’s many different ways they could extend the gathering system. They could simply add everything below orichalcum, but if the level cap does increase, expect new nodes to be added after orichalcum, since they are bound by level. Alternatively, they could just keep following the ascended route by greatly increasing the material cost while requiring some new rare material. Eventually however, they would either have to drop old materials, at which point gathering would be at the end of its life, or continue to bloat the material cost to a point where a few thousand ore were required per item.

New gathering tool types could also be added, but it depends on how and if they implement the system. For example, fishing was hinted at during the beta, which could bring a new fishing pole gathering tool, unless they implement it as a type of mini-game. If they follow this route, they might not add a new mining pick, but you’ll still have new tools to buy as time progresses.

The likely route is to simply add new tiers of nodes and new tools to complement new or existing crafts. Since they came out with a full set of unlimited tools so quickly, I’d even expect to see an expansion announcement within the year and probably a tri-pack in a few months.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: kokocabana.8153

kokocabana.8153

I don’t see a problem with them adding a new tier of mats in any possible future expansion. The current unlimited gathering tools say that they are equivalent to ori tools. Any new level of mats will not diminish the benefits that I bought it for such as a different animation, savings on bag space, and worrying about how many uses are left.

It’s like buying a weapon skin from the gem shop and then they release a cooler looking skin. The enjoyment I get from one skin doesn’t diminish the enjoyment of the other.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

I don’t care for semantics in a case like this. Introduce new tiers, new materials, no problem. If that makes those (soulbound!) tools obsolete then I’m with the OP. I would not have bought an unlimited copper/iron or even mithril pickaxe.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I bought these items for the convenience of never having to think about gathering tools again. They specifically say on the item that is soulbound to your character that they “Mine/Harvest all metals/plants.” The word “all” is used. They will always be able to mine everything. If they don’t, I would feel strongly misled.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

If they raise the level cap, a lot of people will quit the game, especially the biggest fans. The molten pick and consortium sickle will be the least of their troubles concerning sales.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Didn’t we just have a new node for the Azurite a few weeks back? And the unlimited pick work for those?

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

Didn’t we just have a new node for the Azurite a few weeks back? And the unlimited pick work for those?

Azurite came out of ori and mithral nodes.

I think the tool reads “same efficiency as Ori” noting there are different efficiencies between Ori and say Mystic tools. Pretty sure the picks read “used to mine all metals”.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

I think it much more likely they would put in a new type of harvesting than a new tier

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Korsbaek.9803

Korsbaek.9803

the sickle(atleast the ori one) says can harvest all plants so if it say is the same as the ori one then its also market as it can harvest all plants

Commander Korsbaek lvl 80 Guardian
Ayano Yagami lvl 80 ele

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

At the same time though, if they introduce new material tiers beyond T6, that would also mean that they’ve introduced a new tier of items. I think that would be a far more grave mistake, given the backlash over Ascended items.

Doesn’t need a new tier of items. Could be new nodes for crafting ascended items.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

That is not actually true. It says it has unlimited uses and that it is equivalent to an Orichalcum sickle/pick. If some resource ends up requiring a tool higher than orichalcum then these are also going to fail.

Attachments:

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Doesn’t need a new tier of items. Could be new nodes for crafting ascended items.

That’s certainly a possibility, but I’d think it would be more logical to use Mist Essence for crafting Ascended items. (And such crafting ideally would be a means of using the Mystic Forge to upgrade Exotic items to Ascended. For example, you put in the Exotic item, Mist Essence, Crystals/Philosopher’s Stones and Obsidian Shards/Ecto. The MF then spits out an Ascended copy of the same Exotic item. Like other Ascended items, the upgrade’s benefits are now merged into the main item, and it gains an infusion slot.)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lisa.6102

Lisa.6102

mmm wasn’t there a data mined spec on a “group havesting tool” …?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Data mining showed a new gathering pick and sickle. The sickle was released, the pick is still out there.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Lisa.6102

so perhaps the group tool is about to come too?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

so perhaps the group tool is about to come too?

There is no “group” tool. If you’re thinking about the final item, the logging axe (which is what I meant by pick), then you’re going to have to wait until their next content release (maybe even longer).

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: LFk.1408

LFk.1408

I have no problem with them doing this.

As a game evolves, there’s things that change.

I would love new materials to work with. In fact, I hope they do this sometime in the not-so-distant future! Can you imagine if we’re still making armor out of orichalcum three years from now?

I guess what you’re saying is that you want these gathering tools to work with those nodes too. Since i’ve bought every one of these (and will buy the logging one when it invariably comes out), yeah, that would be nice for me. Still, I don’t expect it. I expect newer and better things being released in the future. If these tools work with the new generation of resources, it would be a pleasant surprise to me.

Most certainly not an expectation that I hinge my decision to play this game on.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

I believe you are mis-remembering the data-diver finding evidence of an improved “looking for Group” tool, – not another harvesting tool – at the same time he/she found the sickle.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

The description before you soulbound it says equivalent to ori sickle/pickle. It change after you soulbound it.

There’s really no confirmation from Anet. So that’s why people are skepticle.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

The description before you soulbound it says equivalent to ori sickle/pickle. It change after you soulbound it.

There was, i just can’t find it at the moment. It was about the mining pick and someone saying the same thing about new ore nodes. I think the quote basically would say they had no intention of added a 7th tier of materials.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

in Black Lion Trading Co

laokoko.7403

There was, i just can’t find it at the moment. It was about the mining pick and someone saying the same thing about new ore nodes. I think the quote basically would say they had no intention of added a 7th tier of materials.

if someone have link to the reply from developer. that’ll be nice

I checked the post with developer reply in this forum for up to 2 month. DIdn’t see a reply suggest what you said. Maybe it’s on a different forum.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

in Black Lion Trading Co

laokoko.7403

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Molten-Alliance-Pick-Sickle-and-Logging-Axe

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rockoe.6827

Rockoe.6827

The likely route is to simply add new tiers of nodes and new tools to complement new or existing crafts. Since they came out with a full set of unlimited tools so quickly, I’d even expect to see an expansion announcement within the year and probably a tri-pack in a few months.

I pray this does not happen. It was advertised as a limited time only purchase and thus why i purchased it. It it were to be sold again later I would be very unhappy.

in Black Lion Trading Co

laokoko.7403

I pray this does not happen. It was advertised as a limited time only purchase and thus why i purchased it. It it were to be sold again later I would be very unhappy.

ya but nothing stoping them from adding ice shard pick and rainbow unlimited sickle.

The reailty is no one really know. I doubt they’ll break their promise of limited time purchase. But there’s always work around.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Lisa.6102

I believe you are mis-remembering the data-diver finding evidence of an improved “looking for Group” tool, – not another harvesting tool – at the same time he/she found the sickle.

Oh I got ya now

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Daemon.4295

Daemon.4295

Both the sickle and pick were definitely advertized as being able to harvest all ores/plants on one of their tooltips. I distinctly remember seeing both “equivalent to orichalcum” and “able to harvest all…”. So if they add a new tier of harvesting mats, those two statements will become contradictory.

The fact that Anet has never confirmed that these items will function for any new tiers leads me to think this might not be the case. Either that or whoever is responsible for communicating this stuff is really bad at his job, since I for one was extremely hesitant to purchase these items due to lack of clarity over this.

Ayana Wenona (Ranger) | Doctor Skorn (Necro) | Electra Lux (Elementalist)
Scarlett Daguer (Thief) | Gritt Bloodstone (Warrior) | Sirius Zand (Guardian)
- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

It said equivalent to Ori in the gem store, and it says all plants/minerals on the actual item. I dont expect them to void them by bringing tier 7 mats that they dont work on, it’ll stay all.

I do however expect the rainbow sickle and the pick of howling winds etc, different effects and new time-limited opportunities for endless tools.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

The molten pick with a lava animation is most certainly a limited item.

But you have to realize that they can also release other ‘themed’ tools

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

I wouldn’t be unhappy … it makes no sense to make these time limited if they don’t come back. There’s always new players willing to buy these things.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto