Is gold to gems rate fair in gw2?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Davidm.2419

Davidm.2419

Is gold to gems rate fair in guild wars 2?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

yes it is fair.

please tell me which other games lets you to use in game gold to buy cash shop currencies?

i think it is about 7g – 8g per 100 gems now.

during launch week, it was 0.25 – 0.35 gold per 100 gems.
ah. glorious days.
somewhat related music
www.youtube.com/watch?v=GauhWG340dI?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

As always, depends on who you ask.

Current rate shows that not as many people are buying gems and turning them to gold as there were in the early stages of the game. Might see a dip in price as X-mas season comes and goes with new players coming in and gem cards given as gifts. Or not…who knows.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

if more people buy gems with in game gold and less people buy gems with real dollars, the gold to gem rate will climb up steadily.

if more people buy gems with real dollars to convert into in game gold and less people buy gems with in game gold, the gold to gem rate will drop steadily.

if there are equal amount of people buying gems with real dollars to convert into in game gold versus people buying gems with in game gold, then the gold to gem rates will stabilize.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

They should just reduce the gem price of everything and then remove the gem conversion. That kind of stuff can be bad for an MMO anyways.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

They should just reduce the gem price of everything and then remove the gem conversion. That kind of stuff can be bad for an MMO anyways.

why? the system is fine now.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

No, it is not fair. I should get at least 50 gold when I sell my 100 gems!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

Is gold to gems rate fair in guild wars 2?

What…kind of a question is this?

I mean, if a grocery store or doctor or some such is selling you something you actually need at a price you can’t afford, that could be a question of fairness, but this?

How on earth could the price of gems be a question of fairness? It might be a question of business sense, or of consumer-friendliness, but fairness just doesn’t even seem like an issue here.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

in Black Lion Trading Co

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

ewwwww.

i think, the gem stores needs to have a lot more shinies.
that people will buy.

and i mean a lot more.

such that the gold to gem rates increases ridiculously.
since people will convert gold to gems more to spend on the gem store.

when it costs about 60 gold to buy 100gems then perhaps
100 gems can be converted into 50 gold?

i dunno.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lucyfer.9517

Lucyfer.9517

It’s fair for long term vet players. It’s unfair for new players. I pity all the new people joining this game, having to pay insane amounts of cash for basic stuff like inventory space.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

ewwwww.

i think, the gem stores needs to have a lot more shinies.
that people will buy.

and i mean a lot more.

such that the gold to gem rates increases ridiculously.
since people will convert gold to gems more to spend on the gem store.

when it costs about 60 gold to buy 100gems then perhaps
100 gems can be converted into 50 gold?

i dunno.

Hehe, if it ever DID get to such a crazy exchange rate, I think it would be a sign that something was seriously wrong with the GW2 economy. It would mean that players have accumulated such vast quantities of gold that it is outstripping the ability of the gold sinks to hold them in check.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Current rate shows that not as many people are buying gems and turning them to gold as there were in the early stages of the game. Might see a dip in price as X-mas season comes and goes with new players coming in and gem cards given as gifts. Or not…who knows.

The reason it was less in the early stages of the game is because there were more gems and less gold in the exchange than there are now. It’s the ratio between the two that set the rates. As you buy gems you are adding gold and removing gems, thus making gems worth more gold. When you sell gems to get gold the reverse is true. Both transactions take a 15% cut of the gold which creates the gap between the two rates.

Gems are not created from scratch when you use the exchange, neither is gold. You are simply withdrawing or depositing into the two pools that are there. When the game started the exchange was seeded when an enormous amount of gems and a bit of gold which is why the rate was so low back then.

And yes, in theory the exchange can run out of gems but the price before that happens would skyrocket and thus encourage gems being bought with cash and exchanged for gold which would push the rate back down.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Behellagh.1468

That’s not going to happen because the cost in gems is set in reference to the 80 gems per dollar/euro (0.85 pounds). Don’t forget it’s buying gems for cash is what keeps the game running. Why would they decide to reduce their only source of long term income?

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

killcannon.2576

The reason it was less in the early stages of the game is because there were more gems and less gold in the exchange than there are now. It’s the ratio between the two that set the rates. As you buy gems you are adding gold and removing gems, thus making gems worth more gold. When you sell gems to get gold the reverse is true. Both transactions take a 15% cut of the gold which creates the gap between the two rates.

Gems are not created from scratch when you use the exchange, neither is gold. You are simply withdrawing or depositing into the two pools that are there. When the game started the exchange was seeded when an enormous amount of gems and a bit of gold which is why the rate was so low back then.

And yes, in theory the exchange can run out of gems but the price before that happens would skyrocket and thus encourage gems being bought with cash and exchanged for gold which would push the rate back down.

Uh…that’s what I said. Although you did explain it much more thoroughly, and clearly than I.

Thank you.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Behellagh.1468

Not quite, I was pointing out that your statement as to why the rate was lower in the “early stages of the game” was incorrect. It had nothing to do with players selling gems for gold more often then. Or did I misunderstand your original comment?

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

killcannon.2576

Not quite, I was pointing out that your statement as to why the rate was lower in the “early stages of the game” was incorrect. It had nothing to do with players selling gems for gold more often then. Or did I misunderstand your original comment?

I was more stating why it was at a high rate now, and constantly climbing, with some seasonal dips.

Not as many changing in gems for gold…blah blah blah.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Sibenice.5298

Sibenice.5298

please tell me which other games lets you to use in game gold to buy cash shop currencies?

Off the top of my head… Neverwinter, Rift and Allods online.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Off the top of my head… Neverwinter, Rift and Allods online.

oh they do? how are the exchange rates?
i do not know since i do not play them long enough.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: tomlin.8204

tomlin.8204

I think it’s good if you’re buying gems with gold, but it’s awful if you’re selling gems for gold. I expect a lot more gold for a £30 charge than what is currently on offer.

“meta” this, “meta” that. Please stop saying the word “meta”.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Sibenice.5298

Sibenice.5298

Allods’ was pretty awful. Granted, it’s been a couple years since played but it was basically a russion version of your average korean mmo so you only got to be the best through the store or like decades of grinding. I’m almost not exaggerating there…. Only reason I played it because it has the most fun caster class I’ve ever played (imo) but you can only level things so many times before you get bored. :P

Rift was an item at a set price so it was basically 1 for 1 of the store currency. That one was quite fair, imo. Especially since often people would be selling in bulk and you could catch them for 800-900 gold. Granted they are at a set price that’s relatively high so that does make a difference.

As for Neverwinter. Couldn’t tell you. Didn’t play the game long enough to gauge pricing especially since they had a third currency.

(edited by Sibenice.5298)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Allods’ was pretty awful. Granted, it’s been a couple years since played but it was basically a russion version of your average korean mmo so you only got to be the best through the store or like decades of grinding. I’m almost not exaggerating there…. Only reason I played it because it has the most fun caster class I’ve ever played (imo) but you can only level things so many times before you get bored. :P

Rift was an item at a set price so it was basically 1 for 1 of the store currency. That one was quite fair, imo. Especially since often people would be selling in bulk and you could catch them for 800-900 gold. Granted they are at a set price that’s relatively high so that does make a difference.

As for Neverwinter. Couldn’t tell you. Didn’t play the game long enough to gauge pricing especially since they had a third currency.

ooo i see.
thanks for sharing ya!

i played rift a bit, i think around level 17 – 19. but not level 20 yet.
only bought some bags from the cashshop (i think) after receiving an email stating that i got some free credits that will expire quickly. so i went and bought some bags.

did not play allods. can’t comment.

neverwinter, started trying it out since they released it on steam.
i like the action combat but can feel some lag. in gw2, i dun feel combat lag.

just level 5 or 6 so not sure about the gem store pricing yet as well.
game looks beautiful though.

lots of people running in the town as there is only one server.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Off the top of my head… Neverwinter…

All of the Cryptic titles (Champions Online, Star Trek Online, Neverwinter) actually.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I think it’s good if you’re buying gems with gold, but it’s awful if you’re selling gems for gold. I expect a lot more gold for a £30 charge than what is currently on offer.

Unfortunately for you, your expectations need to overcome the expectations of people that wanted more gems for their gold.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nabuko Darayon.9645

Nabuko Darayon.9645

I dunno what to say, the higher the gem the higher the prices of Legendaries go it seems. It’s cool that with Gem you can get nice gold but at what price, inflation of other things achievable?

~ King Arian and Isabella of [EG] ~

in Black Lion Trading Co

Behellagh.1468

I dunno what to say, the higher the gem the higher the prices of Legendaries go it seems. It’s cool that with Gem you can get nice gold but at what price, inflation of other things achievable?

Here’s the twist, it’s actually cheaper now to buy gems, convert them to gold and buy a Legendary than when the exchange rate was lower.

Back June 1st, the Gem to Gold rate was 2g30s. Juggernaut was 2222g ($1208); Bolt was 1956g ($1063); Bifrost was 1932g ($1050).

Dec 17th, the Gem to Gold rate was 5g50s. Juggernaut was 3436g ($781); Bolt was 3200g ($728); Bifrost was 3000g ($682).

While I’m not suggesting we should all go buy legendary weapons with cash, the notion that the Gem exchange rate is affecting the cost of legendary weapons is silly as the Gem rate is increasing at a brisker pace than any legendary “inflation”.

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: tomlin.8204

tomlin.8204

Unfortunately for you, your expectations need to overcome the expectations of people that wanted more gems for their gold.

It’s OK, if it’s easier to buy gem store items with in-game gold instead of real money, then who am I to complain?

“meta” this, “meta” that. Please stop saying the word “meta”.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Wildstar has announced they will sell a currency that players can buy and sell for in-game money. The players who buy it with in-game money can then use it to pay their subscription fee.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Depends how much your REAL money is worth to you. It’s certainly fair if you don’t want to spend your real money on the game.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Behellagh.1468

Wildstar has announced they will sell a currency that players can buy and sell for in-game money. The players who buy it with in-game money can then use it to pay their subscription fee.

Aah, sort of. They sell a month’s subscription for $5 more than an monthly subscription that you can sell on their player market. It’s similar to EVE’s PLEX, the WildStar version is called CREED, except EVE’s is the standard monthly subscription price, no markup. And initially CREED will be the only cash shop item. So if no player every buys one to sell on the open market, there will be no way to play for “free”. And since at the beginning there won’t be a lot of in game currency circulating, how much would one go for? It’s a very Chicken/Egg problem.

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Pandemoniac.4739

Pandemoniac.4739

And initially CREED will be the only cash shop item. So if no player every buys one to sell on the open market, there will be no way to play for “free”. And since at the beginning there won’t be a lot of in game currency circulating, how much would one go for? It’s a very Chicken/Egg problem.

It makes me appreciate the thought that went into designing how the GW2 exchange rate works. I think maybe it could use a little tweaking now that we have a better idea of how valuable gold is relative to gems but overall not allowing players to sell gems or gold directly to each other is a good thing I think.

Don’t ever think you know what’s right for the other person.
He might start thinking he knows what’s right for you.
—Paul Williams

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

I think it’s fair in terms of how many gems you get for a certain time’s worth of gold.
Sure you might look back and say it was only .3g/100gems back at launch, but back then that 30s took a lot longer to make as well. So in that regard, it’s fairly stable.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Cyto.9401

Cyto.9401

this is a 5 second calculation.
minimum wage in belgium is 8.6 euro per hour
if you buy gems with that money it comes down to 688 gems per hour
if you convert those gems to gold you get 37g70s24c per hour

so unless you can farm 37g per hour its more efficient to get a job at macdo and do your “grinding” there. gl and have fun!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

After playing a bunch of mmorpg what I realize is when the game matured, the conversion rates are usually related to real life income.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Tallis.5607

Tallis.5607

Do you really think that the gem prices will ever go down?!?

Gems are ANet’s only source of income. The less players there are, the more gems for dollars ANet needs to sell. So you can safely bet that ANet will drive the gold price of gems will go up, else people won’t spend dollars.

The game depends on that price never comming down.

Tallis – Perpetual newbie – Tarnished Coast.
Always carries a towel – Never panics – Eats cookies.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Cyto.9401

Cyto.9401

Gems are ANet’s only source of income. The less players there are, the more gems for dollars ANet needs to sell. So you can safely bet that ANet will drive the gold price of gems will go up, else people won’t spend dollars.

they have been fluctuating at there current price atm, all because people are buying the gems to get the rewards :P but i agree, if they don’t offer those rewards ALL the time, prices are going to go up.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Behellagh.1468

Have you looked at the current exchange rate? It is lower now than a month ago and after it peaked at 9.5g per 100 gems.

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Shanks.2907

Shanks.2907

I look at it the other way around. I can make money at work quicker to then buy 2000 gems with than I could to make gold in game and convert to that same 2000 gems.

That could be said about buying gems to convert to gold too. I could probably make more gold by working more and just buying it, but that just seems lame.