It may someday minimum price the gems?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Piscore.6934

Piscore.6934

The title says it all…

Current price: 1 gold = 14 gems

Winterdays: 1 gold = 8 or 10 gems (more or less)

2014: 1 gold = 3 or 5 gems (more or less)

I know this system keeps the game alive, but … I think a minimum price required.

Eg: 1 gold = 20 gems

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: jazzllanna.1278

jazzllanna.1278

Or maybe just not let gold be used to buy gem store items. It works both ways you know. I think it is a nice option for some to buy gem store items with gold and I think it should be expensive.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

The exchange price is determined by how many gems we player buy from the exchange which started with a fix number of gems. Only gems that get added are ones that players sell to the exchange for gold. Fewer gems in the exchange, the higher the price goes.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

If you want cheaper gems via gold, get your [friends to buy] gold via gems.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: SRG.3607

SRG.3607

We’ll soon be at 1 gold = 1 gem, and even below. That won’t never stop as the number of gold generated by players if continuously growing.
ANet won’t do any thing about this ratio (their statement is that this gold to gems conversion “is working as expected”).

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

We’ll soon be at 1 gold = 1 gem, and even below. That won’t never stop as the number of gold generated by players if continuously growing.
ANet won’t do any thing about this ratio (their statement is that this gold to gems conversion “is working as expected”).

The only possible reason why the ratio would be 1 for 1 is that there’d be no more Gems in the pot. On the opposite end, the Gems for Gold rates would be tremendously high at that point. So in theory, there’l never been an empty pot, since there’ll always be a player who takes advantage of something like 100 Gems for 10 Gold.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Behellagh.1468

Right now it’s $1 for 4G or 100 gems for 5G. We’re halfway there already Smooth and the curve is exponential. It’s just going to keep rising faster and faster as time moves on thus forcing the time when players will start buying Gems with cash and just maybe trade them for gold.

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Shufflepants.9785

Shufflepants.9785

Right now it’s $1 for 4G or 100 gems for 5G. We’re halfway there already Smooth and the curve is exponential. It’s just going to keep rising faster and faster as time moves on thus forcing the time when players will start buying Gems with cash and just maybe trade them for gold.

There are many functions and curves which appear to be roughly exponential at first but change as time goes on. One of the most common ones and probably the one at work here is the logistic curve:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logistic_function

Like was mentioned before, at some point buying gems with gold will be so expensive that most people will stop doing it, and buying gold with gems will yield so much gold that more players will be enticed to buy gold with gems from real money, and things will equalize.

However, due to gold inflation, I would surmise is isn’t exactly logistic, there is probably a linear component based on inflation. So, maybe more like:
g(t) = c1/(1+e^(-t)) + c2*h(t)
Where c1 and c2 are constants and h(t) is the inflation as a function of time.

(edited by Shufflepants.9785)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Behellagh.1468

Yea I know but I’m assuming not a lot of math majors in the audience. Since the rate was described as the ratio between amount of gold in the exchange Vs the amount of gems in the exchange and as since the first is increasing while the second is decreasing with the first rising ever faster relative to a unit change in the second it’s definitely more exponential than power.

But that doesn’t change the fact than until Gem for Gold increases compared to Gold for Gems, the rate will continuously rise, getting worse and worse as fewer and fewer gems are left in the exchange.

I did note in another thread before this latest step up in exchange rate that compared to a year ago, the cost of Dusk is dollars has dropped 70% due to the change in the rate. So if you do have the money to burn, buying gems and converting into gold, it’s becoming quite attractive.

$25 gem card at this moment will get you 100 gold vs 12.6 gold a year ago.

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: FirstBlood.7359

FirstBlood.7359

Maximum price fits better. Nonetheless, it’s a currency market, making the wording a matter of perspective.

The rising price (in gold) for gems does not surprise. ANet has constantly added new fancy items to their store, making gems relatively more valuable. In contrast, the sum of goods – purchasable in gold – has barely changed since therelease. The rising gem prices are therefore the trivial consequence of ANet’s update policy

Tz tz

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

So the amount of gold you can get for RL cash continues to rise, which makes it all the easier for me to throw a trivial amount of money down, skip through the grind to get to grandmaster crafting, and pretend that the game still has a gear plateau.

If we get to 1 gem = 1 gold, we can get from 400 to 500 in a craft on less than $3!

This is what I hoped GW2 wouldn’t be, but my will is weak, and I’m ready to kneel to my new Black Lion overlords as long as it costs me less than a subscription in another game. Please keep driving that gold to gem ratio higher so it won’t hurt my pocketbook too much.

;-)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

I did note in another thread before this latest step up in exchange rate that compared to a year ago, the cost of Dusk is dollars has dropped 70% due to the change in the rate. So if you do have the money to burn, buying gems and converting into gold, it’s becoming quite attractive.

While that may be true, if you want to buy a legendary right off the tp it will still cost $500-$600 right now.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wallace MacBix.2089

If we get to 1 gem = 1 gold, we can get from 400 to 500 in a craft on less than $3!

That’s assuming that the price of ectos and t6 mats don’t constantly rise. Which they do whenever a big new farm is added, and also whenever demand spikes (ascended weapons and armor).

It takes roughly 8-12 400 lvl discoveries per 25 crafting levels (amusing you’re using boosters). I think the number being thrown around now is ~200g per crafting discipline (which can be reduced with farmed mats and time). We’ll have to see how high it climbs (and what it settles to) when ascended armors come out.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Behellagh.1468

While that may be true, if you want to buy a legendary right off the tp it will still cost $500-$600 right now.

Not really, the “still” part that is. Legendary prices are relatively flat compared to the increase in $ for gold via gems. Let’s look at one that isn’t a great sword, The Bifrost.

Nine months ago it was 2435g, now it’s 2490g. Nine months ago it was 1.1g per dollar/euro and now it’s 3.9g. So nine months ago it would have cost $2210 to buy with cash and now it’s $640. Yes outrageous and rarely acquired that way but it’s 30% of what it was with cash.

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wallace MacBix.2089

Not really, the “still” part that is. Legendary prices are relatively flat compared to the increase in $ for gold via gems. Let’s look at one that isn’t a great sword, The Bifrost.

Nine months ago it was 2435g, now it’s 2490g. Nine months ago it was 1.1g per dollar/euro and now it’s 3.9g. So nine months ago it would have cost $2210 to buy with cash and now it’s $640. Yes outrageous and rarely acquired that way but it’s 30% of what it was with cash.

Ah very true, my mistake on wording. I never bothered to check the history, either way that’s way too rich for my blood. I’m happy plodding along towards a leg at my own pace. I do wish that back in the day I spent all of my gold on gems, when the conversion rate was in their favor.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

My father decided to pick up fishing as a hobby earlier this year. He fished a little off and on but this time he went all in: he bought a (used) boat, top of the line rods and other equipment, had the boat in the shop to get some things fixed, installed new seats and such in it, hauled it around to various lakes in the area, entered fishing tournaments and joined a club, etc. I don’t know how much he spent on all this but I think it was over $20,000.

If a person’s hobby is fishing, a lot of people don’t mind putting thousands of dollars into it. If his hobby is video games, a lot of people will do the same. Not everyone has such deep pockets, but there are enough people who do to keep these games afloat. It’s not going to change any time soon.