Items *NOT* to flip on TP?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Daemon.4295

Daemon.4295

I’ve only just started seriously flipping items on the TP, investing around a hundred gold across different markets. I won’t ask anyone to share the items they flip for profit, but are there certain types of items I should steer clear of? Does some stuff just not sell? I’ve noticed that despite a moderately large volume of transfer listings (3k+ buy offers), I have trouble unloading certain items even when no one undercuts me.

Ayana Wenona (Ranger) | Doctor Skorn (Necro) | Electra Lux (Elementalist)
Scarlett Daguer (Thief) | Gritt Bloodstone (Warrior) | Sirius Zand (Guardian)
- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Da Sonic.6521

Da Sonic.6521

Markets change rapidly, so any advice you get now will be void in 3 days.

Put in small orders to test the waters for different things, don’t go straight into buying 10 stacks on something you aren’t sure will sell.

Genesis Theory [GT] (HoD)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: TheOneNOnlyGeneralBama.9586

TheOneNOnlyGeneralBama.9586

I used to use GW2Spidy and sort the list by most profit , despite my hitch that these items will be extremely violatile in price(seeing as so many use GW2 spidy and sort by most profits gained). So sorting by supply and demand I filtered the items and started spending my 200g on inscriptions…longstory short the items prices tanked because the supply quadrupled in 1 week’s time and i ended up with a 200g lost…told myself ill never use GW2spidy that way again . Now i simply pay attention to the flow of events within GW2 and speculations , and use GW2spidy to check the flow of supply on items…since ive adopted this new tactic ive been swimming in gold. Especially with the T6 crisis going on

I never expect to lose. Even when I’m the Engineer , I still prepare a victory speech.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: TheOneNOnlyGeneralBama.9586

TheOneNOnlyGeneralBama.9586

Markets change rapidly, so any advice you get now will be void in 3 days.

Put in small orders to test the waters for different things, don’t go straight into buying 10 stacks on something you aren’t sure will sell.

Not all markets the same . Some items will move instaneous and others will stall for seemingly forever lol , the more patient you are the more moolah you will make (Even though its arguable) .

My advice is pay attention to tkittenb and Flow of the items on the TP .

I never expect to lose. Even when I’m the Engineer , I still prepare a victory speech.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

Imo, many factors.

Overpriced,
Game patch,
Overfarmed,
Underused,
etc
etc

All sort of things can lead to that. But most importantly, to OP, is that now you know what particular item you should avoid.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Not a single specific? Pretty sure that’s what the OP asked for… details, a list…

More proof that a lot of the people who are doing the most profitable flipping…
…aren’t actually wasting their time on these forums

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Anything with less than a 20% gap between buy and sell now prices or when supply is much greater than demand.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lucas of the Desert.2165

Lucas of the Desert.2165

Easy. Don’t touch logs or t1 mats. Their supply is so kitten high that you won’t be able to flip effectively.

Pseudo-quoting Logun (an extremly successful trader): “If you want to flip items with a large profit margin you have to choose an item that: has low supply, not strong but steady demand and is definitly needed.”

Or something like that xD too troublesome to look his posts up. He was one hell of a trader. Think he quit though.

He was the one who bought tens of thousands of chocolate bars, drove their price up, kept outbuying new supply and managed to push the bubble from 10-14c ea up to over 1,2s !!!!

He was kind of famous even among the traders. People like him were known on the forums like mystic i think (the one who was a pioneer on exploring the mystic forge properties). Kind of like ursan and vol now ^^

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: LHound.8964

LHound.8964

Just follow the general guidelines about flipping:

1/ Selling price * 0.85 > Buying Price
2/ Low priced items sells faster than high priced items
3/ Find a good flipping item, and see how the prices go in a week period
4/ Never flip an item that only exists 1 or 2 at the TP. The chances of they are overpriced and no1 buying are high!
5/ Always keep a keen eye about the market, trends and updates. Take care about speculation, it can be problematic!

And because you asked what items to not flip, don’t flip Globs of Ectoplasm. Fails on nÂș1!

/Cheers

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
Charr’s need more Love. All is Vain
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

in Black Lion Trading Co

Daemon.4295

Thanks for the replies! Since I started I’ve been flipping only items with over 1k listings, > 20% margin, and a significantly higher number of buy orders than sell orders. I’m not speculating at all for now, just focusing on short-term flipping. However, I’m finding that some of the items I’m buying just aren’t selling despite having all of these requirements.

More than general tips, I’m really after some thoughts on the specific types of items to avoid, for example high level white weapons, top tier foods, salvageables, etc. Basically I want to be sure I don’t invest in items that look profitable to an untrained eye, but that don’t actually sell.

@Lucas of the Desert: Thanks for your comment on the t1 mats and logs, I’ve been flipping those but not making much profit off them. It takes forever for the buy orders to go through.

@LHound: thanks, I’ll stay away from ectos then.

- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

The best way I found was to pick a few things and try just one or two at a time to see how they sold. After about 2 weeks you can get an idea of the weekly cycle (if the item has one, but most do) and whether you want to flip it or not. A lot depends on risk tolerance. And a lot of the time, items that look good don’t sell quickly. My rule of thumb is, if it’s been more than a week it’s definitely time to relist, and I try to relist if it hasn’t sold after 3 days. I deal mostly in items that don’t move much though, so YMMV depending on what you’re flipping. I find that there is usually a distinct weekly cycle though, and if something hasn’t sold in a whole week than I’ve probably just priced it wrong.

Staying away from high volume, low margin items is definitely the right way to go, since a small shift on those can wipe out profits for the whole day. once you get to high income levels I hear larger volumes become more important, but I’m not that interested in super competitive trading so I focus on the small potatoes markets.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Last night I’ve put in 50 buy orders for that sentinel inscription @ 8.5g a piece.

Supply is dangerously low and it’s not coming back from what I can tell – I just hope the price will go up to a point where it’s reasonable for a buyer and profitable for me.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Curo.2483

Curo.2483

Last night I’ve put in 50 buy orders for that sentinel inscription @ 8.5g a piece.

Supply is dangerously low and it’s not coming back from what I can tell – I just hope the price will go up to a point where it’s reasonable for a buyer and profitable for me.

So YOU are the one that made it go to over 9g today. I just wanted 2 more for my sent set

Curo Lunesque – “Concerned Citizen and Community Builder”
NSP – northernshiverpeaks.org

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Alissah.9281

Alissah.9281

Dont flip crafting materials thats gathered from trees/plants/ores.
Seeing as you have so much gold, you should have no problem diversifying a lot, making the potential loss from when a single tem doesnt sell very small.

TL;DR: diversify

New Rainbow Guild – An open-minded guild exclusively for Transgender people!
Warning: link may contain traces of awesome.
Lyssa’s Grimoire – a guide every Mesmer should read.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Daemon.4295

Yeah I diversify a lot, I only buy more than a single stack of 250 when I’m trading high volume items that run for a handful of copper (eg. bolt of jute, iron ore, etc.).

I don’t know, to be honest I feel like I’d get more gold per hour simply farming COF. The only real benefit I see in playing the TP right now is that I can make gold while I’m working during the day, I can’t run a dungeon but I can log in for a few minutes every couple of hours to collect and sell. I guess I’m just not experienced enough to be raking in the big bucks yet.

- Whiteside Ridge [EU] -