Keys vs. Picks spending

Keys vs. Picks spending

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: LowestTruth.2635

LowestTruth.2635

Q:

I know we’re not going to get numbers or anything definitive, and I’m not asking for that. I am extremely curious in a non-threatening way about the spending trend for the keys vs the picks.

So my question is: Based on the small sample of spending pattern for the BLT keys/skins versus the Molten Pick so far, is there a significant difference in reaction? And if you’re feeling generous, which way?

You may now proceed to tell me “they will never answer that”.

You may be right,
I may be crazy,
but it just may be a lunatic you’re looking for

Tarnished Coast

Keys vs. Picks spending

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

A:

Lets see. Gold → Gem ratio.

3/26 patch: 21434 C pre-spike, 24990 C post-spike.
Absolute delta: 3556C
Percentage delta: 16.6 %

Mining Pick: 23629 C pre-spike, 30821 post-spike.
Absolute delta: 7192
Percentage delta: 30.4%

No definitive conclusion of course. The only conclusion which can be drawn is that more people converted Gold → Gems for the mining pick as opposed to Fused Skins.

On top of that, the difference can’t be solely attributed to random vs non random acquisition methods. Mining Pick has a very clear convenience function, while Fused Skins didn’t.

Still, I do want to hope this persuades Anet somewhat on more guaranteed event items in the future.

Keys vs. Picks spending

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

A: I think the gems:gold exchange spikes tell us more than enough about which items prompted more total spending.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Keys vs. Picks spending

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: LowestTruth.2635

LowestTruth.2635

A: I think the gems:gold exchange spikes tell us more than enough about which items prompted more total spending.

That is the way I was inclining, but there are too many assumptions there for me not to ask.

Tarnished Coast

Keys vs. Picks spending

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

Anecdotally, people are way, way more excited about the picks than about the fused weapons. I didn’t even know you could get skins for the chests for days after they came out, let alone what those skins were. I still don’t know what fused stuff looks like.

I heard about the pick almost as soon as it popped into the gem store, and whenever there’s a group in map chat the picks get brought up. Some people like them and some don’t, but it’s caused significant in-game chatter and that’s basically free advertising at the point where it will do the most good (i.e., when people have immediate access to the gem store).

That plus the immediate conversion spike make me think the pick is much more popular than chests. It’s not the dye packs – we’ve had random, limited dye packs before, and they haven’t caused this big of a spike, or this much map chatter.

Keys vs. Picks spending

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Anecdotally, people are way, way more excited about the picks than about the fused weapons. I didn’t even know you could get skins for the chests for days after they came out, let alone what those skins were. I still don’t know what fused stuff looks like.

I heard about the pick almost as soon as it popped into the gem store, and whenever there’s a group in map chat the picks get brought up. Some people like them and some don’t, but it’s caused significant in-game chatter and that’s basically free advertising at the point where it will do the most good (i.e., when people have immediate access to the gem store).

That plus the immediate conversion spike make me think the pick is much more popular than chests. It’s not the dye packs – we’ve had random, limited dye packs before, and they haven’t caused this big of a spike, or this much map chatter.

Those were different colors!

On a more serious note … the fused skins involves risk, it is unlikely but not impossible for you to open a million chests and not get a single skin(at least it is not a double RNG). The pick is guaranteed. Some people will like the skins and some people won’t. Who doesn’t have a need for mining picks?

Keys vs. Picks spending

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

Actually, I’d like to do some super rough calculations on how big the exchange spikes were, to get a super rough idea on the popularity of the two.

But does anyone remember the day when the Fused skins went on “sale?”

Keys vs. Picks spending

in Black Lion Trading Co

Khisanth.2948

Actually, I’d like to do some super rough calculations on how big the exchange spikes were, to get a super rough idea on the popularity of the two.

But does anyone remember the day when the Fused skins went on “sale?”

They arrived with the 3/26 patch.

Keys vs. Picks spending

in Black Lion Trading Co

Khisanth.2948

Lets see. Gold -> Gem ratio.

3/26 patch: 21434 C pre-spike, 24990 C post-spike.
Absolute delta: 3556C
Percentage delta: 16.6 %

Mining Pick: 23629 C pre-spike, 30821 post-spike.
Absolute delta: 7192
Percentage delta: 30.4%

No definitive conclusion of course. The only conclusion which can be drawn is that more people converted Gold -> Gems for the mining pick as opposed to Fused Skins.

On top of that, the difference can’t be solely attributed to random vs non random acquisition methods. Mining Pick has a very clear convenience function, while Fused Skins didn’t.

Still, I do want to hope this persuades Anet somewhat on more guaranteed event items in the future.

I just want the sickle and chainsaw(NOT axe!) equivalent of the pick.