Low-mid end trader advice

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Grundle.7302

Grundle.7302

So I’ve spent some time flipping some items and made my way up to ~215g with another ~100g in sell orders that could take forever to pass. My method worked great with the 40g investment I put in, but past a 60g investment it has reached a cap.

I’m looking for advice or pointers on where I can start throwing some money around now that I have a bit more to play with. I am saving for a legendary (need 400g more, so 600 total) and would like to increase my investment and earnings.

If you don’t want to post openly, feel free to PM or whisper in game.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

I’m a proponent of simply expanding your markets as you get more money, rather than putting larger amounts into single investments.

That’ll mean more time setting up your buys and sells of course, since it’s outright trading more items (and more types) rather than just things that are more expensive. However it’s more consistent.

If you’ve found a sweet spot on some items you like, but have made some money and now aren’t sure what to do with your new capital, then it’s not time to stop doing what you were doing. Continue with that and then just seek out other things too.

Sinking large amounts of money into things with the intent of buying them out/influencing the availability through your own purchasing power can certainly be very profitable, but just as often you can be left with large amounts of product you have trouble moving to become liquid again. It’s less consistent.

Some people have great success with it, but what you don’t hear on the forums are all the stories (and anyone that invests a lot of money in a single thing has such a story) of how they put hundreds of gold into something and took a loss. Sometimes it can be a big loss.

It’s better to put in the work and have a source of many different ways to make money. There are MANY markets that I dabble in and there’s never a time when they’re all lucrative at that moment. More options means more consistent money and more places to put your money.

As for what specifically to expand into? That’s always the big question and as you know, there’s never a concrete answer. Finding the answer is where your money is, of course. Items tend to fluctuate an awful lot though, so with the help of gwspidy you can get a pretty good idea of what the low is for “buying low” on an item. It’ll take some patience though since you can be left hanging for a long time waiting for an item to “bottom out” to where you really want to buy it at.

As usual, the more items you’re familiar with, the more opportunities you have to notice items at that sweet spot. That’s when you make your play.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Grundle.7302

Great advice. I think I’ll consider expanding my niche a bit to maintain some residual income while I research other markets. Manipulating and resetting a market seems fun, but I’m just not comfortable throwing so much of my capital into it at once.

Thanks again for the response, back to grinding my face into spidy :x

in Black Lion Trading Co

Minion of Vey.4398

One thing I forgot to mention, which adds a little fun to things in my opinion.

In the case of someone like you that’s going for an expensive goal like a legendary (or anything that just takes large amounts of mats).

As you make money, keep an eye on the items you know you’re going to have to buy. Rather than try to save up many hundreds of gold, then hit up the TP and buy everything at once, watch the prices on stuff you need. t6 mats, lodestones etc for legendaries fluctuate quite a bit too. Don’t wait until you’re all done and then just buy stuff at whatever price it happens to be at, buy the mats a little bit at a time as you go when the prices are good. Use the same concepts you already use to make money on the TP.

I’m not saying sink every coin of profit you made into immediately buying some mats towards your legendary, but don’t be afraid to spend some of your profits towards your goal. It’s another way of “making” money. (If you need another 200 powerful blood, which is better, buying them as you go along for 7s each, or buying them all at once for 10s each?). You’ll see concrete progress towards your goal too, which keeps you from getting bored as the days go by.

If you wake up in the morning, look at your stuff, and see you made 11g overnight or something, spend 3-4g on some legendary mats you need if the prices look good. You’ll end up reaching your goal faster than insisting on holding 100% of your coin on you the entire time. Maybe it’ll be on some lodestones you need when the price is low, or knocking out some ectos, or t6 mats, check them all.

This also has the side effect of sometimes finding you new things to invest in as well. You might be knocking out some mats you need and notice that it’s worth buying in more on. If you’ve been working on some lodestones that were 1g each buying a few at a time, then look at them to buy a couple more and see “hey, these are only 87s at the moment” well you’ve probably found yet another money making opportunity even past what you need for the legendary.

I shake my head when I hear people complain about “prices rising too fast! I can’t make enough money to keep up! I’ll never get a legendary at this rate!” Perhaps the only thing where this might have any merit is on an expensive precursor (and even then, people exaggerate heavily). Anything else for a legendary, buy as you go.

(edited by Minion of Vey.4398)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

Fabulous advice, Minion. I have a spreadsheet to track how many of each I purchase, as I go, and mark in the current daily value to have an idea of my remaining budget. I also mark in the latest trends for each item and follow it all up with a watchlist on GW2Spidy.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Grundle.7302

Awesome idea, Minion. I’ve been debating if I wanted to buy the precursor but I think I’ll wait until this scavenger hunt shows up. Since the one I wont (The Lover) is starting to grow at an absurd rate it may make me feel a bit more accomplished to pick up some mats and complete some other gifts along the way.

Thanks!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Minion of Vey.4398

Awesome idea, Minion. I’ve been debating if I wanted to buy the precursor but I think I’ll wait until this scavenger hunt shows up. Since the one I wont (The Lover) is starting to grow at an absurd rate it may make me feel a bit more accomplished to pick up some mats and complete some other gifts along the way.

Thanks!

Yeah I think a lot of people are holding out on precursors to see what becomes of the scavenger hunt.

Whatever it may be, you can be assured that the prices of precursors in the TP come down. When they do, legendaries will be a little more accessible and thus it’s almost a certainty that t6 mats will rise in price accordingly, due to more people wanting to give legendaries a go.

Thus, might as well buy the mats now while they’re cheap (or cheaper, at least). Then when they rise in price, you’ve got them already or are close to it. Then you’re just left with the precursor, which you can either obtain via scavenger hunt or if nothing else buy for cheaper than now from the TP. Savings across the board.