Molten jetpack prices

Molten jetpack prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: DrPhro.5976

DrPhro.5976

There’s a good chance that anyone who cares is already aware, but it looks like someone bought up all the molten jetpacks to try and raise the price. There were six available at around 250g, then 0, then 3 at 750g. I don’t really care about the manipulation; I was just wondering what’s the best course of action for the people who still do have supply left?

-Should you try and undercut him knowing that the buyer still has up to 3 left?
-Should you price it a couple hundred gold lower but still above the previous price in the hope that he buys yours too?
-Should you just wait until that price becomes the new standard and sit on yours a little longer?
-Or something else entirely?

I don’t have the power to affect anything that’s going on here. I just wanted to open this up as a case study and get some advice from the trading post gurus here.

UPDATE: looks like someone already made the first move and undercut him at 725g

Edit: Obviously I was tired last night because there are some clear mistakes I made in the information. First, there was only 1 listed at 750g. Second, the price had been hovering around 360g for the day before this happened. It looks like they were being bought up steadily, but by my count there were still 3 left before the last purchase. (Somewhat to my defense but also very relevant to this is that a day before it was around 250g and 6 left)

(edited by DrPhro.5976)

Molten jetpack prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Curse Drew.8679

Curse Drew.8679

I think with the addition of the gasmask, the jetpack became more demanded by engineers. I’ve heard talk about plans for the Molton Facility to come back aswell, but as the past has showed, old skins don’t always get another release. I do have one i’ve held for a long time, i plan to hold onto mine. Who knows in a year from now there might not be any at all left. There could be buy offers for thousands of gold. I only paid 100g for mine, so i feel fine gambling with it. I’m in no rush.

Molten jetpack prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Osi.3504

Osi.3504

Well from my understanding, the Jetpack was meant to stay rare and be limited like certain exotic mini’s but I could be wrong. It’s possible they will return with the molten facility fractal but then they would have to do that with all the other limited time backpacks. We already know the SAB blue backpack is gone forever so I wouldn’t be surprised if that happens to any of the living story back packs too.

People should have forseen this back when they released, I did back during release considering it’s the oldest(first) living story item plus it was rare from the start compared to the others that have been released and that’s why I bought a bunch. I don’t plan on selling them however and may even use them on alts.

I’m sure there is still a good 100 or more in circulation right now between active accounts and people that have taken a short break, the difference between these items and others like discontinued mini’s is once it’s used, it’s gone forever, a mini can be resold forever.

Molten jetpack prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

had 3 since the event on 230-250 gold – now sold finally

jetpack is an ugly item – only worth cause its rare – i would not bet it goes much higher cause noone rly look for it and 750g? – never

Molten jetpack prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Osi.3504

Osi.3504

had 3 since the event on 230-250 gold – now sold finally

jetpack is an ugly item – only worth cause its rare – i would not bet it goes much higher cause noone rly look for it and 750g? – never

Everyone has different opinions on every single item in game. Just because you find it ugly doesn’t mean millions of others will, that’s like saying I like Pepsi and everyone else does, there is always someone with different taste in just about anything. I personally like the jetpack over any other backpack, the close 2nd would be the fully upgraded fractal backpack but that’s my personal taste. I like the jetpack because it’s unique, looks cool to me, it only lacks a shiny effect, and yes, it’s rare, another nice thing about it and just like a lot of people who want legendary items because not many have them, it would be similar to “some” people with backpacks.

I wouldn’t be surprised “IF” they stay discontinued and are slowly used over the new few years that some people would prefer to have a super rare (cool looking to them) backpack over a legendary item they can get anytime. So I would bet they could be worth 1000’s of gold in the long future. The person that may be willing to spend 1000’s of gold may not even play the game yet, and the price may not reach that for years yet, assuming they stay limited/discontinued.

Molten jetpack prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

I like the way the jetpack looks. Would’ve bought one if I had the gold for it.

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

Molten jetpack prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Raikuben.7489

Raikuben.7489

Molten jetpack prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Kupper.8074

Kupper.8074

List yours just under what the 6 that were bought up at, or just around 15-20% more. That way that power buyer doesn’t really have an incentive to list his since he would be losing money after TP tax. I HIGHLY doubt anyone would buy one at 750g.

JQ – The ‘veggie’ Knight
Berserker = Skilled http://i.imgur.com/g1rkIub.jpg
Never forget – http://i.imgur.com/Oxra9sj.jpg

Molten jetpack prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Yamagawa.5941

Yamagawa.5941

You could list them 15% under the 3 at 750.

The flipper will be pressured by the 750×3 listing to buy yours up, or risk you setting the new price and his sitting on the market additional months. at 15% under, he looses nothing and gains nothing directly in flipping your pack, but still holds the the higher new price.

Either the person manipulating has shot his wad and can’t buy yours up, or he’s going to be forced into buying them, or, third option, he’s done it just to park gold for months, protecting it against deflation.

The risk… Did the same buyer get the other 3, and will he piecemeal them out, or are they sold and used?
//Portable Corpse

Molten jetpack prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Yamagawa.5941

Yamagawa.5941

Sorry, just saw this and had to comment:

… that’s like saying I like Pepsi and everyone else does…

Ew, yuck. Cola.

bleh

Molten jetpack prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

There’s a good chance that anyone who cares is already aware, but it looks like someone bought up all the molten jetpacks to try and raise the price. There were six available at around 250g, then 0, then 3 at 750g. I don’t really care about the manipulation; I was just wondering what’s the best course of action for the people who still do have supply left?

-Should you try and undercut him knowing that the buyer still has up to 3 left?
-Should you price it a couple hundred gold lower but still above the previous price in the hope that he buys yours too?
-Should you just wait until that price becomes the new standard and sit on yours a little longer?
-Or something else entirely?

I don’t have the power to affect anything that’s going on here. I just wanted to open this up as a case study and get some advice from the trading post gurus here.

UPDATE: looks like someone already made the first move and undercut him at 725g

Price manipulation is such a hard word often used by people for this kind of actions.
I think price stimulation is a better description because a single person can never fully monopolize a market and the jetpack is a good example.

Whoever bought those up can fully claim that he bought all available supply at that point and thats about it. That person has no control over people actually buying for his asking price and has no idea about the supply of the item that is currently not listed on the TP so he is prone to undercutting by people like you that still have it in their bank. So takes a huge risk to actually never sell any of his skins at his desired price and paying fees for relisting them at lower prices.
Usually those manipulations or stimulations yield profit for the initiator more often than not but he also takes the biggest gamble compared to people like you, who have one item in their bank and just wait for an opportunity like this to make a good profit.

Concerning Skins we learned one think during Halloween, as it was the first reoccuring event in GW2: Old Skins (like the ones from Halloween 2013) arent likely to be reintroduced again and i doubt that the jetpack will come back.

We have all seen how far some of the weapon skins from last Halloween rose in price (~1000G) and even some of the Shoulder Skins went between 50-100G.

I already mentioned that the supply on the TP doesnt factor in the supply in peoples bank or inventory. I suspect more than 90% of the supplyof all items that have less than 100 listings on the TP still be hoarded by people to sell for profit.

Concerning the Jetpack for example, I would really like to know how many actually got introduced during the Molten Facility LS and how much of those have been soulbound already and how much are still tradeable. I am sure that John Smith has ways to look that up and would never publish those numbers as it is inside information.

It would also be interesting to see how often a jetpack was sold on the TP before it actually got used by someone.

But in general reply to your OP, I would suggest to observe the market for a bit longer, maybe one or 2 weeks.

While opening this topic, you made alot of people aware of the issue and can expect more people to undercut. If you can spare the 25g to list at 500g, go for it, its 250g more than last week.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Molten jetpack prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

big gamble. if they introduce them as fractal drops it probably will plummet to 75g or so.

Molten jetpack prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Usually those manipulations or stimulations yield profit for the initiator more often than not…

Perhaps my reading comprehension has failed, and this maybe out of context, but I’m pretty sure John came along not long ago and stated that 99% of market manipulations (or stimulations as you will) fail quite miserably.

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

Molten jetpack prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

Nothing you can do about it. It’s the way it works in this game. I ran that instance 50+ times and never seen it drop. I saved gold and by the time I had 100 it had jumped to 160 then 200+ and it was out of reach.

It’s a great looking skin, (opinion) it’s rare, it’s supply is short. If it’s at 750 then it will only increase as time goes on.

Molten jetpack prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Gasoline.2570

Gasoline.2570

big gamble. if they introduce them as fractal drops it probably will plummet to 75g or so.

Ah wishful thinking.

The balance team is chained to SPVP, and the PVE team is all about producing carnivals

Molten jetpack prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Syeria.4812

Syeria.4812

You could list them 15% under the 3 at 750.

The flipper will be pressured by the 750×3 listing to buy yours up, or risk you setting the new price and his sitting on the market additional months. at 15% under, he looses nothing and gains nothing directly in flipping your pack, but still holds the the higher new price.

Either the person manipulating has shot his wad and can’t buy yours up, or he’s going to be forced into buying them, or, third option, he’s done it just to park gold for months, protecting it against deflation.

The risk… Did the same buyer get the other 3, and will he piecemeal them out, or are they sold and used?
//Portable Corpse

The math I’d use (and this is utilizing the heavy assumption that the seller in question purchased all 6 of the previous at 250g and is selling 3 at 750g and isn’t interested in putting the other three on the market at this time) would be as follows:

The seller we’re assuming paid 250g. In order to break even on these sales, he would have to net 250g after 15% tax so he’d need to sell at 250/0.85 = 294g (I’m rounding). We also know he’s posted these three for 750g so he paid a 5% posting fee = 37.5g each. That means, in order to break even, a repost would need to go for 294g + 38g = 332g. With that in mind, the price point at which you maximize the incentive for him to not repost is that 332g. By this I mean, if we’re assuming you and the other seller are the only ones in the market, there’s no incentive to post your sale under 332g. Obviously there’s incentive to price higher, but higher prices increase your risk of the other seller reposting.

Molten jetpack prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Chaotic Storm.2815

Chaotic Storm.2815

best idea would be to under cut him by 10-20 gold (or a few silver ). puts you in front and if your really lucky they might feel threaten by you and buy you out rather then take down 3 peices and undercut you in return.

#ELEtism

Molten jetpack prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Dromar.1027

Dromar.1027

They brought back fused and sclerite weapons so chances are actually not that bad for the jetpack or monocle to drop from the fractals.

Molten jetpack prices

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

It could go either way. ANet has previously stated that they like some items staying rare to preserve their exclusivity (not a stance I agree with, but that’s their official line), but at the same time, they DID bring back the Southsun skins, and made Fused/Sclerite weapons available again.

If I was asked to guess, I’d lean more towards the Jetpack/Monocle not returning as a Fractal reward, as backpieces and headgear have a precedent of being cosmetic rewards, but I wouldn’t rule it out completely.