Money not well spent...

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Smfx.2143

Smfx.2143

First, I have been playing GW2 Since beta and I truly love this game.
I decided yesterday that I’ve been playing for quite some time and I haven’t contributed enough for what the game is worth to me. So I proceeded to purchase $60 US dollars worth of Gems.
I used $40 of that to purchase these new Southsun “Supply Crates”. I wasn’t expecting mini pets or really rare items, but i was expecting at least one sclerite weapon skin ticket, Let me tell you, these “crates” are exactly what they say they are. Supplies, that’s it. For$40 dollars i recieved.
Passion Flowers
Passion Fruits
Karka Shells
and two mobile crafting stations…

This is TOTALLY ridiculous…
Being unlucky is one thing but $40 for mats I can just farm in the area that I’m in anyway? Shame on you.
It makes me sick just thinking about how many unsuspecting players have done the same thing just to be rewarded with basic materials…

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Syktek.7912

Syktek.7912

Shame on Anet? You’re the the one who spent the money on the boxes while knowing you might get jack.

Shame on you.

Vesper Dawnshield | Guardian

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smfx.2143

I did not know I was going to get jack…
I expected something for there to only be three basic materials is just crazy. and for you to get on here and be a troll about it is unappreciated.
Clearly the percentages for the “Rarer” items to drop is next to nothing.
And for all the people that bought them for 1200 gems for a stack of 10 thats a lot of money something already easliy obtained.
I suppose had I bought just one instead of all at once that would have been less of a blow to the wallet sure, but I honestly feel like I was ripped off big time.
Either way you can be sure I learned my lesson, no more money from me.

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nuvo.5014

Nuvo.5014

hhahahaha he expected somethinng from anet u are so funny. Anet will say RNG

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smfx.2143

again i dont expect anything from anyone…
I do expect you to take a lesson from me and be careful when buying these things
I am sorry you are to dense to understand that

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

again i dont expect anything from anyone…
I do expect you to take a lesson from me and be careful when buying these things
I am sorry you are to dense to understand that

Maybe they could have seen that lesson in the other 230 threads about the same issue. People just spend money if they want to spend money, that is their business. Everyone knows full well that the RNG boxes are.. RNG based. It is on them for thinking they can fight the odds, and then come to forums to complain about losing. I don’t think they need a tutorial on not fighting RNG, that should be evident after the very first RNG was in an mmo.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smfx.2143

lol unless I missed something somewhere this is the only way I can communicate when it comes to customer service. I have an issue and I would like them to know about it plain and simple. Same thing if you went into any store and said “I have an issue with your product” there is no need to make a big fuss about it.
Thank you to Geotherma for taking the time to be an adult about it.

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: SplendidDust of AncientSuns.8453

SplendidDust of AncientSuns.8453

I think when you take into account all the real money players spend it probably amounts to revenue equal to what many pay-to-play game companies earn. It’s a simple revenue earning tactic. Pay a fee every month just to play or pay x real money in a free-to-play game and maybe get something out of it. Its a tease.

The game, OP lost it, but so have many others including myself. Everyone is guilty wether you knew the consequences or not. May the RNG be with you.

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: LeMiranda.9026

LeMiranda.9026

Which teaches you and all of us to either farm CoF or flip items on the TP to ease the pain. Or just make the 40$ on your workplace instead of farming in-game… but still, it hurts!! Also, maybe next time wiki the droprates so you know what you’re heading into… I feel for you and wish the RNG gods smile upon you in the future.

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

You may have better luck with Powerball. It’s estimated to be worth $600 million for this Saturday’s drawing. Only $2 for a 175 million to 1 odds. Almost as good as chests and keys.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: SplendidDust of AncientSuns.8453

SplendidDust of AncientSuns.8453

You may have better luck with Powerball. It’s estimated to be worth $600 million for this Saturday’s drawing. Only $2 for a 175 million to 1 odds. Almost as good as chests and keys.

I lol’d

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

Don’t complain about RNG messing you up. You chose to pay real money to gamble for ingame stuff and you lost. With your choice to dump $40 onto gems you’ve also supported the current RNG business model so they can continue doing this.

Them making profit from people like you buying RNG tickets with real money is the only message they get from you. Don’t think they care for you losing in the gamble that you, yourself, chose to participate in.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

(edited by Milennin.4825)

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smfx.2143

^LMAO Did you even read the other posts? That has been said like three times
Next time read everything before you decide to chime in and waste our time…

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

What do you want? Sympathy? Us to send you gold out of pity? ANet to refund you because you bought items, gambled, and lost? I don’t get it. There have been hundreds of threads about this, and the box even says that you get random items from it. RNG is RNG, and I’m sorry you lost, but that’s how it works.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Creeper.9360

Creeper.9360

I have learned my lesson with the boxes/keys during the Halloween content. Never again and I curse the person who invented gambling boxes for mmorpgs (you can’t find a free to play mmo that doesn’t have them).

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Curo.2483

Curo.2483

My advice to anyone thinking about investing money in anything: do some research first. It wouldn’t have taken you long on these forums to find out that these crates, and just about any RNG items they sell, are a scam.

Curo Lunesque – “Concerned Citizen and Community Builder”
NSP – northernshiverpeaks.org

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

To clarify the point made above: even if you had received a weapon ticket it would have been a scam. I have 3 fused skins from 80 boxes; while it’s way better results than others, it remains just that. A scam. It incites gambling and exploits weakness. The problem is the company expects people like myself to say “the odds are fine, I received 3 skins!” But we’re all starting to realize now that this way of doing business is very, very shady, and should be put to a halt.

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lisa.6102

Lisa.6102

I fail to see how its a scam?

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

I did not know I was going to get jack…

This is your first mistake right here…

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Curo.2483

False ideas are put into people’s heads and somebody benefits from this monetarily. It’s the functional definition of a scam.

People do not willingly throw money away. They are convinced one way or another that it’s a good idea. They are persuaded to make a choice that is detrimental to themselves. Scam.

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Lisa.6102

False ideas are put into people’s heads and somebody benefits from this monetarily. It’s the functional definition of a scam.

People do not willingly throw money away. They are convinced one way or another that it’s a good idea. They are persuaded to make a choice that is detrimental to themselves. Scam.

oh lol

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

^LMAO Did you even read the other posts? That has been said like three times
Next time read everything before you decide to chime in and waste our time…

Have you even read these forums? This thread comes up every single time ArenaNet sells RNG in the shop.
Next time, read everything before you decide to make a useless thread and waste forum space…

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

If this was his first time buying items from the TP, he has a right to vent his anger on here. Anet needs to hear it loudly!

Not to put salt on his wounds but, on my 5th crate from last night I got a weapons ticket. They were drops from my time spent in Southsun. Yet, I utterly…. utterly… despise the appearance of those items. I wish I could give it away to those spending so much for one.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

(edited by DeWolfe.2174)

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

1) you should NOT have to read a game’s forum to get insight into what to expect in the game. I’d prefer it say on the tooltip for that item something like “high chance at passion fruit/flowers and karka shells, very low chance at minis or anything you are expecting”
2) you did not pay money to get a mini. you paid money to support Anet.
3) You would of been better off selling the gems for gold, then buying off the TP:
Kasmeer=17g = 758.3 gems = $9.52
In fact, you said you still have $20 uninvested in crates. just use that to buy your mini.

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

1) you should NOT have to read a game’s forum to get insight into what to expect in the game. I’d prefer it say on the tooltip for that item something like “high chance at passion fruit/flowers and karka shells, very low chance at minis or anything you are expecting”
3) You would of been better off selling the gems for gold, then buying off the TP:
In fact, you said you still have $20 uninvested in crates. just use that to buy your mini.

If you read the post, he was talking about the ticket, which can’t be bought.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Aurelian Omenkind.2470

Aurelian Omenkind.2470

This is also the definition of gambling as a whole. Ergo, all gambling is a scam, right?

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

munkiman.3068

If this was his first time buying items from the TP, he has a right to vent his anger on here. Anet needs to hear it loudly!

Not to put salt on his wounds but, on my 5th crate from last night I got a weapons ticket. They were drops from my time spent in Southsun. Yet, I utterly…. utterly… despise the appearance of those items. I wish I could give it away to those spending so much for one.

I’m personally glad people are posting on this and it’s pretty much in the hope that it goes away. +1

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

This is also the definition of gambling as a whole. Ergo, all gambling is a scam, right?

Is fighting monsters in Orr for RNG drops included in this definition?

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

munkiman.3068

Is fighting monsters in Orr for RNG drops included in this definition?

Fighting for drops is a game mechanic that doesn’t cost the player anything but time playing a video game.

There’s been so much debating over this… It’s not gambling when you get a return on every purchase, however little that return is worth. Is putting a dime in a gumball machine considered gambling if you REALLY want a red one and you got yellow instead?

They clearly put these things in with the promise of always getting something, which makes people think they are getting a deal. Regardless, buying a chance (an unknown chance at that) feels much more like a scam.

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Behellagh.1468

Fine. Maybe they read the release notes on the main site at least.

Southsun Supply Crates will drop rarely from creatures during the Secret of Southsun event. These crates contain Southsun crafting materials and a chance at a wide variety of items, such as shoulder skins, new boosts and convenience items, and a rare chance at new weapon skins and minis. Southsun Supply Crates can also be purchased from the Black Lion Trading Company (see below for more info)

and

You can now purchase the Southsun Supply Crate in the Consumable category of the Gem Store for 1 for 150 gems or 10 for 1200 gems. These special crates contain Southsun crafting materials and a chance at items such as shoulder skins, new boosts and convenience items, and a rare chance at new weapon skins and minis. The Southsun Supply Crates will only be available until June 10. The Southsun Supply Crates will also be a limited-time rare drop off the creatures on the island during this time.

Note the parts I bolded and underlined. This is where we have the disconnect. The devs clearly stated that there is 1) only a chance and 2) in certain cases a “rare” chance. It seems as if a lot of players mistake this as a “sure thing” if they open, what 5, 10, 25 chests? So what’s a “chance”, 1 in 10? “rare chance” 1 in 50? 1 in 100? We don’t know, the devs DON’T share that information but if past history is any indication with “rare” items in BLC or Orr Jewelry Boxes it really means rare. How many Unidentified Dyes do you have to open on average to get one that’s worth more than what you could have sold the Unidentified Dye for?

Why are we always shocked when this happens? It’s $1.50 USD in bulk or 3.7g per pull. Just learn to live without if it’s a problem and if you do just happen to get one with that one dropped crate, rejoice at your good fortune. Congrats you found a $20 on the sidewalk with no one else around.

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Curo.2483

You’re darned right it is!

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

Those poor kids getting scammed with their Pokemon Card booster packs. =(

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: BlasiuS.8961

BlasiuS.8961

I decided yesterday that I’ve been playing for quite some time and I haven’t contributed enough for what the game is worth to me. So I proceeded to purchase $60 US dollars worth of Gems.
I used $40 of that to purchase these new Southsun “Supply Crates”. I wasn’t expecting mini pets or really rare items, but i was expecting at least one sclerite weapon skin ticket, Let me tell you, these “crates” are exactly what they say they are. Supplies, that’s it. For$40 dollars i recieved.
Passion Flowers
Passion Fruits
Karka Shells

Being unlucky is one thing but $40 for mats I can just farm in the area that I’m in anyway? Shame on you.
It makes me sick just thinking about how many unsuspecting players have done the same thing just to be rewarded with basic materials…

Hi it sounds like you missed the PSA on trying to acquire temporary content skins.

Hopefully you will be better informed for the future.

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Those poor kids getting scammed with their Pokemon Card booster packs. =(

I’m a Yu Gi Oh man myself, but I digress.

All the complaints are due to the fact that the complainers don’t understand that chance does not equal guarantee.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

Frosty and Frosty Law Firm.4981

RNGnanet has stolen your 60$.

More news at 6.

Grind Wars 2: Heart of Tears

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Lisa.6102

I’m sorry I just don’t buy into the “Scam” way of thinking

1. It is clearly stated by Arenanet that there is a rare chance of a crate drop
2. They then go onto say that in that rare drop there is rare chance of getting a ticket.

It is clearly stated rare. twice. No false ideas Rare and Rare. It’s your choice to either use your logic or buy the crates.

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Aurelian Omenkind.2470

Aurelian Omenkind.2470

I don’t believe RNG boxes are scams either. It’s simply people lashing out with buyer’s remorse.

This issue will go away when people STOP BELIEVING THERE’S A FAVORABLE / REASONABLE CHANCE TO GET WHAT YOU WANT. As with gambling in a casino, expecting to win the jackpot is unreasonable and will only help addict the gambler and destroy their finances. These RNG boxes are a much smaller scale gamble, but the belief you will beat the odds will only hurt you in the end. If you happen to get lucky, remember that you got lucky.

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: bravoart.5308

bravoart.5308

Passion Flowers
Passion Fruits
Karka Shells

Joke’s on you, unless you’re lucky, you can’t farm them either. Been running around with a max of 503% mf since day 1 of the patch and I’ve only got one box.

If devs don’t start taking this discrepancy seriously, a lot of unlucky people are going to up and leave, or just stop giving them money, which is just as bad.

Finally I recalled the stopgap solution of a great princess who was told that the
peasants had no bread and who responded: “Let them eat brioche.”

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: bluemonkey.1762

bluemonkey.1762

You failed to link your exact finds. Maybe $40 is worth it for 10,000 Karka shell and 20,000 Passion Flowers. Or you failed to value the mobile crafting stations highly enough.

Perhaps you simply failed to value $40 highly enough.

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

This issue will go away when people STOP BELIEVING THERE’S A FAVORABLE / REASONABLE CHANCE TO GET WHAT YOU WANT. As with gambling in a casino, expecting to win the jackpot is unreasonable and will only help addict the gambler and destroy their finances. These RNG boxes are a much smaller scale gamble, but the belief you will beat the odds will only hurt you in the end. If you happen to get lucky, remember that you got lucky.

Unfortunately, that will never happen. People are hard-wired to think that they will somehow beat the odds. They can hear stories every day about car fatalities yet they somehow think that it will never happen to them because they are safe drivers/better-skilled drivers/not impatient drivers. Yet the odds of being in at least one car accident in your life is close to 100% (even if you never drive anywhere, the odds of your bus/train being involved in an accident is also fairly high).

Ironically, it it wasn’t for the risk-takers, human society wouldn’t be where we are today. It is to the good of the species that there are always people willing to take the chance for a big reward down the track.

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Behellagh.1468

Did they ever say MF affects Crate drops?

RIP City of Heroes

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

No, but I believe they said that MF only affects loot dropped from mobs, so loot obtained from opening bags/crates most likely wouldn’t be affected either.

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Uberkafros.5431

Uberkafros.5431

There is a gambler in everyone of us and RNG items “bet” on that inner feeling.

In short , Gamble only when you are comfortable with loosing your investment.
Don’t gamble when you expect profit or can’t take the loss well.

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: No Walking.6349

No Walking.6349

People like you cause Anet to keep wasting time on RNG Gem store trash, and not on making their game better….shame on you.

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

People like you cause Anet to keep wasting time on RNG Gem store trash, and not on making their game better….shame on you.

There’s a sucker born every minute so I’ve heard and by the recent increase to gem prices due to the sale on blk’s, I’d venture to say we have lots of them with us in game.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

munkiman.3068

Hmmm, the sales data on spidy doesn’t really show much about the prices going up, which is a good sign. Maybe enough people will be done with this and anet will give up the ghost. One can only hope.

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Arduin.3029

Arduin.3029

Hmmm, the sales data on spidy doesn’t really show much about the prices going up, which is a good sign. Maybe enough people will be done with this and anet will give up the ghost. One can only hope.

Maybe the increase in gem price is halted because more and more people are converting $$$ to gems, to gold. This would be very profitable for Anet indeed

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

munkiman.3068

Maybe the increase in gem price is halted because more and more people are converting $$$ to gems, to gold. This would be very profitable for Anet indeed

Possibly, hard to know based on the data. I still don’t think sales on keys is booming though, at least that’s my hope.

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Theplayboy.6417

Theplayboy.6417

Passion Flowers
Passion Fruits
Karka Shells

This is a shame no doubt. However, consider yourself a winner in this situation. You won because you learned a very valuable lesson and only spent $40.00. Do not trust ANet with your money and do not spend money on any type of “chance” item within the Gem Store. The fact that you learned this for only $40.00 is a blessing. I know of players that spent upwards of $200.00 on Black Lion Keys hoping for a Halloween skin during the Mad King’s Event and they all walked away with tonics, worthlesss boosters, and worthless crafting materials.

Do not give ANet your money. You will lose every single time. Even if you do get lucky and get a skin you desire you still lose. You lose money and gain nothing. Literally nothing.

Money not well spent...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lane.3410

Lane.3410

Possibly, hard to know based on the data. I still don’t think sales on keys is booming though, at least that’s my hope.

I suspect the reverse is true as well. Many consider 3g+ per 100 gems to be too high and have quit converting gold to gems.

Plus, there’s nothing in BLCs right now to bother buying keys for since they put the Sclerite skins in those southsun crates. Fused weapon tickets being any indication people wait until something’s worthwhile in them to buy keys, so I’m guessing most don’t bother to ‘pre-stock’ keys for the future.