Name Change Contract Overpriced

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

I was talking about this gem store item with a friend today, and we agreed that the price was really overpriced.

They currently cost more than 2 total makeover kits, or the same price as a full armor skin. We both thought it should be more like 200-250 gems.

It would also be great if Anet gave everyone a limited time to grab a free name change contract. It was done with a few boosters and even a mini set, and I just feel everyone should get at least a once in a lifetime opportunity to change one of their character’s names.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Naz.2607

Naz.2607

Agreed, I still have 2 more toons I’d like name changes for & I may never get to it cuz my gem store list is so long….

Naz ©

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Bunda.2691

Bunda.2691

Agreed, I still have 2 more toons I’d like name changes for & I may never get to it cuz my gem store list is so long….

And this is why they are so expensive. Name change contract is a perfect example of a cosmetic non-consequential item that players want, and thus is something that aNet should be able to profit from.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I believe the cost is this high because the idea that you should choose wisely when you name your character in the first place.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Zaoda.1653

Right now I have 32g on me, and even that only gets me 387 gems. So it’s double that – that’s at least 64g for a simple name change.

OR you could a full outfit (6 armor skins) OR 2 total makeover kits and 100 gems leftover.

It’s a rip off, plain and simple.

I think a more reasonable price would be 250 gems, because it’s certainly not as valuable as 1 total makeover kit (let alone 2, and have 100 gems leftover) that can change your whole character, and also not as valuable as 6 armor skins.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mike.5091

Mike.5091

Why don’t you think the Name-Change-Contract isn’t worth 2x the makeover kit?

Because I actually think it is. If you’re not happy with the looks of your character you can easily buy new armor that may cover up the parts you dislike. So there a quite a few options.

If you’re not happy with the Name there is only the delete or live with it option, which with a Level 80 char and maybe crafts on 400+ isn’t really an option. So the Name-Change-Contract is worth alot (time and money) in a Situation like that.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

I do agree. I don’t get it why a name changer is so kitten expensive. It WORKS, and it has no more cost for the programmers to do it, because its programmed methood.
And it does no mutch advantage… just if you’re a hated scammer or something, lol?
~250 Gem and I’ll buy one for sure.

BTW, I would like to see norn beards/faces/hairs in the Total Makeover Kit – for Humans as a bonus.

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: MoS.5970

MoS.5970

It really bummed me out when they were removed from the BLC. I don’t care if it’s a really rare drop, the chance of possibly getting it was good enough for me.
I won’t ever pay that many gems for the contract.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I would certainly like it to be a kitteneaper.

At this exactly moment I have at least one character I’d like to name-change (my earliest Sylvari character has a lore-unfitting name). And in the future, if I ever actually get into roleplaying like I keep telling myself I want to but keep putting it off, I’d want to get my Charr characters into RP warband guilds. And along with that I’d like to change their names to match the warband.

But $10 a pop for something like that is crazy. Its a couple words. $10 to change a couple of words. Very excessive IMO.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

I have a toon with a name that uses accents over the letters. It means that people have trouble typing it in if they want to invite me to a group but can only see me on chat, so I was looking at getting this when it was announced that it would come up. Put simply, not at this price.

I would certainly like it to be a kitteneaper.

Took me a while, but I figured out you don’t need to see it a lot cheaper, just a bit. Thank you forum profanity filter for pointing out rude words where I wouldn’t have seen them.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Zaoda.1653

Why don’t you think the Name-Change-Contract isn’t worth 2x the makeover kit?

Because I actually think it is. If you’re not happy with the looks of your character you can easily buy new armor that may cover up the parts you dislike. So there a quite a few options.

If you’re not happy with the Name there is only the delete or live with it option, which with a Level 80 char and maybe crafts on 400+ isn’t really an option. So the Name-Change-Contract is worth alot (time and money) in a Situation like that.

Why don’t I think it’s worth it? Because a total makeover kit costs 350 gems and can completely change your whole character’s appearance, yet a simple change of letters in your character’s name costs at least double that? It’s ridiculous. I LOVE total makeover kits too, but I’d rather have 2 of them and have 100 gems leftover, than to spend 800 gems on a few different letters in my name. Total makeover kits = worth it. Name change = a rip off.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

You don’t find it worth it, so don’t get one. That’s how it works. Others find a bane change to be worth that much, so they buy them. I personally dint find the price to be unreasonable. Your name is usually something you keep forever, so it costs more to change.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

in Black Lion Trading Co

Zaoda.1653

You don’t find it worth it, so don’t get one. That’s how it works. Others find a bane change to be worth that much, so they buy them. I personally dint find the price to be unreasonable. Your name is usually something you keep forever, so it costs more to change.

I’m not getting one. But just because I have an opinion doesn’t mean I’m not allowed to express it on these forums. And I’m sorry but I find your ‘if you don’t like it, don’t get it’ comment quite condescending.

(edited by Zaoda.1653)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Xovian.8572

Xovian.8572

Ever consider that since names are at a premium unlike a characters looks, that it is worth more, in fact a lot more given how RARE a given name is.

For those that aren’t up to speed on it, a name can be taken only once, as it becomes locked across all servers. So yea, i think the higher cost is warranted.

Not only for that reason, but i also have no sympathy for people that name their character(s) <stupid name here>. If it was that important to the person to worry about the name, just maybe that should have been considered from the start. You want the ability to change <stupid name>, pay for it and quit griping, personally I’d think you need to go with the delete option, but that’s just me.

(Can you tell i have a hatred for people with stupid names?)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

People should keep in mind that the cost in gold is never considered (nor should it) when they price something in the gem-store.
Thus discussing the price for using gold to get it is quite pointless.

It is a premium service, it have a premium service price.
Simple as that.
We could compare it to other MMOs and their prices for changing the name of a character:
WoW (which also have a required sub of €12.99 per month) €8.00
LotRO: €10.00

GW2: €10.00 (which partially or fully can be obtained in-game).

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Not only do I think the price is fair, but I’d be willing to spend a lot more for this option.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Magnus Steelgrave.6580

Magnus Steelgrave.6580

Ever consider that since names are at a premium unlike a characters looks, that it is worth more, in fact a lot more given how RARE a given name is.

For those that aren’t up to speed on it, a name can be taken only once, as it becomes locked across all servers. So yea, i think the higher cost is warranted.

Not only for that reason, but i also have no sympathy for people that name their character(s) <stupid name here>. If it was that important to the person to worry about the name, just maybe that should have been considered from the start. You want the ability to change <stupid name>, pay for it and quit griping, personally I’d think you need to go with the delete option, but that’s just me.

(Can you tell i have a hatred for people with stupid names?)

I fully agree and this is the only reason I don’t think the price is absurd… Also I almost never +1, especially rants, but I think I have to make an exception.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Esmee.1067

Esmee.1067

10 euro to change your toons name is a perfectly normal price in MMO’s, nor is it that much, as a bonus you get the option to buy it with ingame gold! In a different game I had people willing to pay me to change my name (x amount ingame money,) obviously donate the name-change of 10 euros and then spend another 10 euros to change their own. (I assume.) That’s how much I know some people are willing to spend.

The only valid reason I see to change the price would be the Charr Lore since they change their name to fit their Warband.