Need more uses for luck after 300% cap

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Risingashes.8694

Risingashes.8694

Account wide bonuses are a great way to give players something to shoot for beyond a fairly shallow level cap, or the time-gated AP circuit.

The luck cap has done it’s job as an anti-gold fountain and increased the market for most greens and blues beyond the vendor+1 graveyard they used to be.

But it’s time to move the concept forward. The MF stat is limited to drops, not affecting chests, or popup chests: the areas most players would actually most notice the increased percentages.

The stat should be split in to all areas of drops, and once a certain 300% cap is reached the next stat should unlock. Even if the 30,000 per level cap was maintained for each percentage point, many players would gladly participate and keep the markets for luck items moving.

Ideally more items that should have value but are currently vendor+1ed should be added to the luck system. Sigils, and runes (for example) are prime candidates for salvaging in to luck appropriate to their vendor value.

Even if a slither of the population is currently 300% capped, eventually the average percentage will creep upwards. It’s better to move now and give people something to aim for than to have a hard cap preventing progress.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

Honestly, there have been so many topics on MF its unreal, I know people with little to no MF who get daily exotics from random events, and others who run 300%+ who don’t get anything for days on end, with MF being so heavily restrained by RnG you wont see a lot of people heading for that 300% cap, I would say the average MF without boosts/banners etc is probably closer to 100-150%

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I would say it’s closer to the 100-150% also for most people. The cost of getting it to 300% is very high and out of reach for many to do it quickly. If you salvage everything then the loss of the greens and blues to sell adds up. Most people don’t have the ectos to waste salvaging them either. It’s more the hard core salvagers that have 300%. And truthfully, it’s hard to see any increase in drops with the increase in MF, which means it doesn’t really feel important to increase MF.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: BigfootArisen.6509

BigfootArisen.6509

I would say it’s closer to the 100-150% also for most people. The cost of getting it to 300% is very high and out of reach for many to do it quickly. If you salvage everything then the loss of the greens and blues to sell adds up. Most people don’t have the ectos to waste salvaging them either. It’s more the hard core salvagers that have 300%. And truthfully, it’s hard to see any increase in drops with the increase in MF, which means it doesn’t really feel important to increase MF.

Even so, a material that is account bound going from useful to just clutter is a terrible thing. Ascended materials are at least used for something, but Luck has zero uses outside of MF. They need to provide another use for those of us that are at 300% (not me) or that would prefer something else to be done with them. Maybe as a substitute for other materials.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I’d like to see Exotic Essence of Luck be used in Mystic Forge recipes. Perhaps a way to make a luck booster?

Server: Devona’s Rest

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: William Bradley Knight.2609

William Bradley Knight.2609

I’d like to see Exotic Essence of Luck be used in Mystic Forge recipes. Perhaps a way to make a luck booster?

This is a great idea, even if it required quite a few of them to make. Even though I am nowhere near 300% so it wouldn’t benefit me yet. :-)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mckeone.9804

Mckeone.9804

I would love to see official statistics on how many people are at 300% luck. I suspect the number is very, very small. Small enough you couldn’t fill a movie theater with the account holders.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Astral Projections.7320

Even so, a material that is account bound going from useful to just clutter is a terrible thing. Ascended materials are at least used for something, but Luck has zero uses outside of MF. They need to provide another use for those of us that are at 300% (not me) or that would prefer something else to be done with them. Maybe as a substitute for other materials.

Yes, and one day they should do this. The question is, are there enough people at 300% to make it worthwhile to sit down now and set up a whole new reward structure for excess luck? If the number of people at 300% is tiny, and I suspect it is, that would be a waste of finite time and resources. When there are a lot of people at 300% then that is the time to rework the system.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

the problem with beyond-300% mf is that people will then go there. they capped it at 300% so that once someone reached it, they would stop getting more luck and not just complain about nothing to use the luck they are farming on.
personally, I’m a bigger fan of no limit, but every level requires twice as much luck as the level before it, so there is no technical limit, but also is impractical to go above 300. you thought 200 to 300 was bad? if it doubled every time after 300, going from 300 to 310 would require 61,380,000 luck (as much luck as going from 1 to 300… 14 times) :P

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

the problem with beyond-300% mf is that people will then go there. they capped it at 300% so that once someone reached it, they would stop getting more luck and not just complain about nothing to use the luck they are farming on.
personally, I’m a bigger fan of no limit, but every level requires twice as much luck as the level before it, so there is no technical limit, but also is impractical to go above 300. you thought 200 to 300 was bad? if it doubled every time after 300, going from 300 to 310 would require 61,380,000 luck (as much luck as going from 1 to 300… 14 times) :P

Where the idea has merit, that doesn’t fit into Anets casual player design, from approx level 223-300 it requires 30,000 luck per level, they could easily make it that from say 300-400 it requires 40,000 luck, 400-500 is 50,000 and so on, on top of that I wish they would make 2 more levels of luck

Ascended ( combine 2 exotic for 400 points )
Legendary ( combine 2 Ascended for 800 points )

It would make so much less clicking, and for the record I am at 300% base MF, out of that 500 man guild im in, im the only person to have this.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

I am not sure what they should be used for or traded for but I do think there needs to be a use from them past the 300% cap. I am still a ways off from this myself but I can see being slightly annoyed once I hit the cap.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

If I could craft ascended luck I would be sooooo happy
maybe 5 exotic : 2 ascended? (to keep the 500 part)
I stopped grinding luck around 250 because it just takes forever after that, and I know I’ll get to 300 just doing what I normally do (salvage all blues and greens I find). I currently gain about 1%mf per month doing fractals/eotm/wvw

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Just a question about salvaging and ectos. Unless you are talking about salvaging ectos themselves, I don’t see how etco has anything to do with salvaging. I’m just confused by the wording.

However I do agree. Having 300% MF is more of an endgame goal than anything. Much like Ascended armor. Not really usefull unless you are running higher level fractals. Otherwise you can still do quite well with exotic.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Astral Projections.7320

Just a question about salvaging and ectos. Unless you are talking about salvaging ectos themselves, I don’t see how etco has anything to do with salvaging. I’m just confused by the wording.

However I do agree. Having 300% MF is more of an endgame goal than anything. Much like Ascended armor. Not really usefull unless you are running higher level fractals. Otherwise you can still do quite well with exotic.

Yes, that statement is about salvaging ectos to get luck. I’ve read that some people got to a high level of magic find by salvaging ectos, but most people don’t have them to spare, and the cost of it is a consideration.

In case you didn’t know you could salvage ectos to get luck: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Glob_of_Ectoplasm
Globs of Ectoplasm can be salvaged into Piles of Crystalline Dust and Essences of Luck as follows:
Pile of Crystalline Dust 1–5
And one of the following:
Essence of Luck (10) 5–14
Essence of Luck (50) 2
Essence of Luck (100)
Essence of Luck (200) 1–4

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

^

Yeah I was aware of it, just wasn’t sure if that was what you were talking about. Thanks!

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Just don’t max it … I’m willing to bet that casual play with no salvaging greens/blues will take a year or two to go from 290% to 300%. I’m also willing to bet that this max value get expanded in the future.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ulion.5476

Ulion.5476

In terms of luck 225% is the half way point. It is cheaper to max luck with blue/green than using ecto. You can even profit from some of the salvaged mats with blue/greens. Salvaging ecto is always a loss. Cost around 1500 gold to max luck with green/blues double that with ecto(takes into account selling the salvaged mats back) or takes a year or so normal play. The amount of people with max luck should be comparable to the amount of people with legendary. Still only few player say I want to max out my luck to increase my RNG chances :P.

Ele – Tarnished Coast
“Quoth the raven nevermore”
Platinum Scout: 300% MF

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Scumbag Mawile.6384

Scumbag Mawile.6384

You can quite easily blow through luck while /making/ money off those blues and greens you’re salvaging. It’s called using the TP.

While expanded bonuses are the ideal, I’d be fine if they just gave luck a vendor value. One copper per luck sounds about right. +10c to 2s per salvaged green, 5g for a stack of exo luck.

Disciple of Quag

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

For the most part, it’s true, but the sidekick can only limit your stats so much. The difference in regular gameplay is noticeable.