Outfits instead of Armours

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wolfield.9812

Wolfield.9812

Just some feedback and wondering if other people feel the same.

The Ancestral costume, is awesome. There is of course a but, but it would be even better as an armour skin, since you can customize it and really make it unique to your character.

The new Shadow Thief armour, is bulky and not amazing. Parts of it would really work well for some good looks, the helm for example with the trailing cloth is really nice and would suit alot of thieves.

Instead the armour is made, then locked into a 4 colour way dye system, and you cannot separate the parts. I really feel that this is a bad trend to continue, and hope it does change. I also wish for the new costume to be made into an armour. I have no use for it as a costume.

GW2 end game, has a major part in skins. Wether these are from pve bosses, gem store, gold, dungeons, it really is a part of the game people enjoy. Getting that unique character look. Costumes seem to go against this, and for events like xmas and dragonbash I can understand, but for a random armour getting locked into a costume is showing a continuing bad trend.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: pho.9412

pho.9412

I was going to make a post about this. The outfits does look good, but I wish it was armor skins instead. Its a pity. I would like to mix and match the armors to make a unique style of my own.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

I would probably have bought both if they weren’t outfits. Outfits suck, only 10% of the customization of armor at almost 90% of the price.

What good is an outfit you cannot dye properly?

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

What confuses me, given that these are gem store items, is why there isn’t a bindable toggle yet. Outfits would be awesome if you could switch them on and off without going into the menus.

Same with minis, but that requires slightly more work.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

i wholly agree with this. I do not mind if they even raise the prices of armor skins so they can “cover the cost of spending 15 minutes splitting the outfit into individual pieces and package them”.

#OutfitsForArmorSkins

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Buford.2954

Buford.2954

My biggest complaints about the outfit system is that you have limited color channels and can’t show glasses with them. Before, glasses were only on town clothes, and now it’s the opposite as they are a headpiece armor skin.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

I strongly agree.

I think part of this ‘push’ to make outfits rather than armor pieces (if there is such a thing) is because they might be worried about how much stuff they put out.

If they put out a single armor set for one armor class, the other ones will feel left out
If they put out three at a time, that’s three times as much work to do

And if this is an issue, I think it’s an imaginary one, so long as there’s some effort put in to make it ‘fair’. I far prefer individual pieces because they’re just so much more fun to mix and match. Hopefully this is just an imagined trend, and that they’re just putting out outfits atm because it’s a new feature, rather than something that they’re actually going to do.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Minka.9273

Minka.9273

I was coming here to post the same “complaint.” Please, Anet, do NOT make outfits the new “thing.” Being able to customize your character’s look by using your own combination of armor(s) is impossible with outfits due to their current limitations of use.

I could see outfits being offered if they were being given as a reward, for example. Then I could see you deciding how it was to be worn; i.e. all or nothing. However, being that we are paying for the skin, we should be able to use it as we wish; be it color it like regular armor, mix and match pieces, etc.

So, please change this designation (to “armor skin” instead of “outfit”) on these two latest releases — or at least on future releases — and you’ll continue to get more of my money! * elbow nudge *

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ITheNormalPerson.9275

ITheNormalPerson.9275

I agree. the helm/mask is the first head-armor I was considering using, and those gloves are nice too. I really dislike the pants though.

I think it probably has something to do with it clipping (the poofy pants especially) that made them make it an outfit. it’s not really an excuse though..

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wolfield.9812

Wolfield.9812

Lets start by making the thief one an armour please.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

yeah, this sucks as a costume…

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

Apparently, not enough people hated the costume system, so Anet decided that everyone loves it more than regular armor. And given the sales, it’s no surprise that they came to this conclusion.

If you want better armor, don’t buy the armor you don’t like.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

Completely agree. It seems that the trend is to never release armors now, since it is so much easier to make one outfit and pump it out to all classes compared to making three separate skins. Triple the monetization. I wouldn’t care, but the massive problem is no mix and match, which renders most outfits much worse in my eyes since there is almost always a part I don’t like.

I don’t understand why they don’t release outfits as armor skins and just have the same skin for all three weight classes. Yes it was a trend to release different skins for each class, but that trend is completely arbitrary and meaningless now that any class can look like a thief with this outfit anyways. Seems like they are trying too hard to preserve consistency when really they should just own up tell us “guys, making 3 separate skins is too time consuming and we don’t care about weight class identity anymore. From now on we will be releasing the same skin for all armor classes when creating armor.” Seems they are just using outfits as an out to avoid saying this right now.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

You have one camp of players who say “Why can’t I wear/transmute <wrong weight> armor onto my <correct weight> armor?” So they come out with outfits and now another group of players chime in “But why outfits, I want to mix and match?”.

Outfits are easier because they can pretty much substitute the player model and scale by height/basic body type instead of making pieces than can conform to each area of the body while keeping the clipping to a minimum considering all the mix/match you can have with standard armor.

Not playing Guild Wars, wasn’t this the “standard” with outfits in that game, full outfit, no mix/match?

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Araleg.3152

Araleg.3152

Honestly, i love the outfits, own almost all of them and buy them up as soon as i discover them.

The reason being is that i can switch them all at a whim instantly without any additional transmute fee and still leave my main armor intact. I can wear them on any character, any class across any race when ever i want and i wont be charged extra for it.

However i cannot deny that having them also unlock as a skin to be mixed and matched would be amazing.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

Yes, the advantage of the outfits is that they work the same way as outfits did in GW1, which was rather popular, I’m to understand.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

The positive thing about outfits is also, that you don’t have to buy them 3 times for all armor-weights. That said, I would rather mix them than having them as “all-or-nothing” outfit.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

I’m actually immensely happy with the last two outfits released, my thief looks amazing in the Shadow Assassin suit. O course, I’m sort of torn between a preference of armour skins vs outfits. Mixing and matching is amazing, but pretty costly. There’s also the issue of having to transmute it for each character. If they gave gem store armour skins the same ‘free for all’ treatment I would be completely for ’em

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

Good part about outfits is they don’t need trasmutation stones.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

in Black Lion Trading Co

ThiBash.5634

That’s also the only good thing about them. Why would you wear an outfit that only looks ecent if you use the exact dye combination that the developer intended?

Considering that for 800 gems, you get a fully customizable set of armor, 700 gems for an outfit is a ripoff.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: DarkSpirit.7046

DarkSpirit.7046

That’s also the only good thing about them. Why would you wear an outfit that only looks ecent if you use the exact dye combination that the developer intended?

Considering that for 800 gems, you get a fully customizable set of armor, 700 gems for an outfit is a ripoff.

Another good part is that you can wear it over light, medium, or heavy armor.

The savings in transmutation stone is quite significant considering the number of pieces of armor. But this comes at a cost of customization.

Outfits are meant to be a cover for your armor, in case you get sick of your character’s look and want a change easily. You don’t have to buy another set of armor to change your appearance back and forth and you don’t need to waste transmutation charges over time.

(edited by DarkSpirit.7046)

in Black Lion Trading Co

ThiBash.5634

There have been plenty of armor pieces that can be worn by any profession. Also, I’m not sure it’s such a nice thing to have heavy armored warriors run around in light clothes. But that’s your own choice I suppose.

The savings in transmutation stone is quite significant considering the number of pieces of armor. But this comes at a cost of customization.

Meaning ‘no customization’. As an example, I’d like to point out that the wintersday outfit was effectively ruined because of the weird way dyes work on it now (as opposed to when each piece could be dyed seperately).

Outfits are meant to be a cover for your armor, in case you get sick of your character’s look and want a change easily. You don’t have to buy another set of armor to change your appearance back and forth and you don’t need to waste transmutation charges over time.

None of that matters if you cannot make the outfit look good in the first place.

in Black Lion Trading Co

DarkSpirit.7046

There have been plenty of armor pieces that can be worn by any profession. Also, I’m not sure it’s such a nice thing to have heavy armored warriors run around in light clothes. But that’s your own choice I suppose.

Well you were mentioning about the 800 gems armor in the gem store but those are specific to each light, medium, heavy armor weight class, unlike outfits. As far as I know, the “generic” armor that applies to all weight classes are special cases and are not sold in the gem store. Also they are just skins for a piece of armor rather than the whole set.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mckeone.9804

Mckeone.9804

I’m also guessing that those unenlightened masses just use a single set anyways and don’t mix and match, so we may see more outfits going forward.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: pho.9412

pho.9412

Well you were mentioning about the 800 gems armor in the gem store but those are specific to each light, medium, heavy armor weight class, unlike outfits. As far as I know, the “generic” armor that applies to all weight classes are special cases and are not sold in the gem store. Also they are just skins for a piece of armor rather than the whole set.

anet can always make the same armor looking sets for all tier armors. It’s not like they can’t. This would be easier than making 3 different looking armor sets.

in Black Lion Trading Co

ThiBash.5634

I’m also guessing that those unenlightened masses just use a single set anyways and don’t mix and match, so we may see more outfits going forward.

It’s not about mixing and matching. That I can live with. My main issue is that you cannot dye the individual parts. Just look at the wintersday outfit and you’ll see what I mean. Parts that should be totally different dye the same color and it ruins it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

I’m okay with outfits as they are honestly. As someone has said, you can dress up your character at any time you want without any fees and still keep your regular armors look with the option to change back at any time.
It would be great if you could mix and match, which every one seems to agree on. But since I doubt they’ll ever make that change, it would also be nice if we could at least have 2 more colour options on top of the four we currently have with outfits. That way there’s a pallet for each piece of armor, one for head, chest, shoulders, gloves, legs, feet. It might not allow for as much diversity as mixing and matching, but it would still allow people to be a bit more original.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in Black Lion Trading Co

DarkSpirit.7046

anet can always make the same armor looking sets for all tier armors. It’s not like they can’t. This would be easier than making 3 different looking armor sets.

I agree, not sure why they don’t but if I have to guess, I would guess it is because they want to earn more from us.

Also yes, the dye process for outfits could have been improved upon. But that is not to say that it shouldn’t remain as an outfit, instead of an armor skin, given the advantages of outfits over armor skins.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

You have one camp of players who say “Why can’t I wear/transmute <wrong weight> armor onto my <correct weight> armor?” So they come out with outfits and now another group of players chime in “But why outfits, I want to mix and match?”.

I would argue that those two groups are actually the same. The entire point of wanting cross-weight armor skins was to increase the number of options for building character looks and make results even more varied, which turned out to be infeasible due to technical limitations that ANet wrote itself into early in the game design.

The Outfits system not only completely misses the point, it has managed to produce the exact opposite result by making people who wear the same outfit look alike across all weight classes; worse yet, it was done at the expense of the Town Clothes system, which further reduced customization options.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

I agree, I don’t understand the validity of making outfits in a game where cosmetic alternations is key. Forcing a player to use the entire armour set instead of min/max feels out of place, especially since you can’t dye individual pieces, would of loved to have only the helm itself.

I myself only use the helm from the primieval set.

in Black Lion Trading Co

DarkSpirit.7046

I agree, I don’t understand the validity of making outfits in a game where cosmetic alternations is key. Forcing a player to use the entire armour set instead of min/max feels out of place, especially since you can’t dye individual pieces, would of loved to have only the helm itself.

I myself only use the helm from the primieval set.

I think this preference is subjective. For some people like myself, I rather have free transmutations back and forth between armor, if I have to choose. What would be best if they can have free transmutations like outfits + customizable individual parts like armor pieces but I don’t think that is going to happen.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Minka.9273

Minka.9273

I don’t know, for what you have to pay for this to have zero customization is crazy. Personally, I don’t mind the transmutation cost as having the freedom to use it as I wish — again since I paid for it — is more valuable than being able to hit a button and oh yay I’m wearing something that 17 other people are wearing as well. * snore *

I mean if having options wasn’t a feature I enjoyed about GW, I wouldn’t bother paying for any extras and would wear the generic in-game armor as “intended” (wear a full set of whatever appropriate level/stat armor without mixing and matching), but being that I do, choice and options are paramount, and outfits make this goal impossible.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Or if you’re leveling… I really hated how the crafted armor looked on my male Non mesmer. Luckily I had some costumes that looked way better. The same for the charr I’m currently leveling…. Before the wardrobe, I’d just keep on transmuting while leveling but that would be very expensive now!

But I also would like to see more armor sets…