Overpriced Gem store?

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mai Eternal.7469

Mai Eternal.7469

Anet, I love you, I love the game you made, I love the content you release, I love the effort that goes into the game. Therefor I am perfectly happy to support you.

~~~~ However ~~~~

Don’t you feel that SOME, and please I highlight the word “SOME”, item’s are just a bit too over priced? Coming from a company who made a new record for launch sales and who have always prefered the concept of being able to earn anything and not just buy it?

I’m refering to fun asthetic things like the flute, town clothing, finishers, dance moves, and so on. Don’t you think that, whilst they are cool things they should be made more available to people to some small degree?

Charging a minimum of £8.50 and giving no personal choice as to how many gems people wish to buy seems somewhat greedy to me and this rings warning bells in my head because whilst we might all agree that it changes nothing about game play therefor it isn’t a problem, what worries me is the slight change in ethos and mentality. This is a very different attitude from the Anet that made the original, and whilst I think it actually works as an advantage for both player and game developer, I feel you are milking your playerbase slightly too much.

Also I think that the everlasting gathering tools, considering that they are 800 gems each, should be account bound and not character bound. For soul bound items I think they should cost 400-600 at most.

Anyway, I’d be interested to hear how many people agree or disagree with what I’ve said and I’m hoping that the majority will agree that items are ever so slightly over priced and that mixed with fixed gem prices feels slightly insulting to those that paid £50.

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: KyreneZA.8617

KyreneZA.8617

No. They offer exactly enough useless fluff, priced at exactly the right price, to dissuade casual gamers from wasting $s/gold on gems, while at the same time ensuring enough income from hardcore gamers to sustain the game.

Recently returned to…
Aurora Glade some random MegaServer™, always being asked to volunteer for that buff…
Ranger | Necromancer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Teege.4623

Teege.4623

If you don’t have a disposable income you’re pretty much cast aside. For everybody else, the prices are okay, granted most the stuff in the Gem Shop you don’t need, it’s more of want. They do make sure the gold to gem rate suffers so you have to pay with real money, that’s something I’ll agree with.

“We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2.” -Colin Johanson
Don’t support the Gem Shop, it’s that easy.

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Theundersigned.4761

Theundersigned.4761

I personally have no problem. A solid 8.50 price might seem greedy to some people, but I personally see the choice as a logical one. After all, smaller purchases could be made with gold, while larger purchases are more practically made with real money (or a combination of each). I’m just happy knowing that if I absolutely could not live without one of their vanity items, I have the choice to either farm a load of gold over the span of several weeks or buy it real quick with several dollars/pounds/etc. In my opinion, this is a good practice in fighting the urge to be instantly gratified.

In a closely related topic, I think that the gem/gold exchange rate is perfectly reasonable for a subscription-less game. Each purchase I make with real money is more of a donation, in my opinion, not an injustice to my wallet, regardless of the price. And if I choose to exchange gold for gems, I feel that I’m handicapping the game’s future. After all, Guild Wars 2 has practically no revenue outside of the gem store.

That said, the gem/gold exchange truly seems to be more of a gimmick than anything else—a choice for the sake of argument but not necessarily practical. It is this simple freedom, in my opinion, that gives the system its allure. I agree the gem store is geared toward real money purchases, which may sour the deal for some people. However, I believe it’s done for a reason and really makes sense.

(It is worth noting the distinct possibility that any dedicated player could buy several items from the gem store with significant effort if they were particularly pressed for money at the time of their craving.)

Therefore, upon reflecting on what I’ve written, I have no choice but to conclude that ArenaNet has kept these particular promises and successfully maintained these particular ideals in game (for me).

In terms of the everlasting gathering tools, I feel in many ways that the price is perfect.
This is the price of convenience. Therefore, it really makes sense that it’s relatively high—Never have to waypoint back and buy a few more pickaxes? Yes, please. To me, that’s worth whatever price ArenaNet puts on it.

Especially because it isn’t necessary—more of a treat.

Even the fact that the tools are bound to a single character makes sense in terms of convenience (besides, materials are pooled into a shared bank). Binding it to every character just seems a little overkill in my opinion. If we want even more convenience than what we’ve already bought, we should have to pay more. I look at it like this: if I buy something, then later I decide I want more, I have to buy more.

For me, gathering tools have layers of convenience. In-game tools are ranked in effectiveness, each becoming more expensive as we level up (in many ways a form of convenience—commonly finding better materials means less work overall).

In buying tools with real money, I feel that there are also layers.

First, I want to be able to harvest as many things as I want. However, I have 4 other characters that I regularly play. To be more effective in my gathering, I want to gather with those characters as well.

The first layer of convenience is that I can gather as much as I want with one character. I pay for this first level convenience. However, I want to upgrade in order to become more effective—the second layer of convenience. Therefore, I pay for more tools.

This is just what makes sense to me. Most people will probably think differently.

(This is why I feel that a disclaimer must be offered as to the opinions given on these forums.)

Disclaimer:

Oftentimes, forums attract people who were originally spurred to voice their opinions due to extremely negative or extremely positive experiences. This is why many forums seem biased at times. Forum posts in general cannot be taken as indication of a particular bias or trend in the overall community whatsoever.

Instead, these threads indicate a particular bias or trend amongst people who were spurred to voice their opinions due to extremely negative or extremely positive experiences. Therefore, one cannot conclude the overall community’s bias of any particular issue by referencing forums alone.

In order to record a reasonably accurate trend of the community’s opinion, it is best to issue a large number of randomized surveys to players, taking into account gender, age, question wording, and other variables to avoid as much bias as possible.

(It is not possible to reach a conclusion when issuing a survey. Surveys only offer a reasonably accurate trend of the data)

If you would like to pursue lower prices in the gem store, I suggest first catching ArenaNet’s attention by petitioning for a survey with at least 10,000 signatures from fellow players. Otherwise, I seriously doubt you will see any action on their part.

Note: Petitions are biased in the same ways forums are biased.

(edited by Theundersigned.4761)

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Theundersigned.4761

P.S. It’s important to remember that customers are almost always in favor of lower prices. This may reduce your effectiveness considerably.

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

How is anything “overpriced”, when they are all optional convenience items?

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Treeline.3865

Treeline.3865

I’d have to agree with OP for the most part. While the Gold -> Gem price is entirely player driven, the pure cost of a Gemstore Item is.. Well.. Pretty high!

As any example, one of the infinite tools = 800 gems. That’s almost 15 dollars in a pure buy. Optional sure, convenience, sure. But wow. That is a lot for never having to buy a pickaxe again in a computer game.

Leader of Heroes [Hero] – Seafarers Rest

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I’d have to agree with OP for the most part. While the Gold -> Gem price is entirely player driven, the pure cost of a Gemstore Item is.. Well.. Pretty high!

As any example, one of the infinite tools = 800 gems. That’s almost 15 dollars in a pure buy. Optional sure, convenience, sure. But wow. That is a lot for never having to buy a pickaxe again in a computer game.

800 gems is $10 US.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: UrMom.4205

UrMom.4205

I got no problems with the costs…most stuff is a simple 10 bucks or less and it’s all (generally speaking) want items. I’ve been playing this game since april and haven’t had the urge to play anything else….if anything this game is saving me money as i would normally be pre-ordering the FOM games at 60 a pop.

Team Raven [TR](Dead)
Wu Táng Financial [Táng] – YB

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: covenn.7165

covenn.7165

I have no problem paying subscription fees if the game is worth it. I would also, likewise, have no problem buying gems with my money if there was real value there. I would spend money for salvage kits, boosters, etc. if the price was reasonable. Unfortunately there just isn’t enough value there to justify it.

Why spend a monthly subscription fee’s (from other games) worth of money to only augment my game play for a couple of hours. No real value there.

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Mai Eternal.7469

Just because they are convenience or asthetical items doesn’t mean they can’t be overpriced.

What I’m debating here is whether it’s slightly too high because a price that’s just a bit too high may be counter productive to both anet and players alike.

There have been many times where I’ve thought “if there was an option for me to pay for 400 gems I’d get it” or “If that item was 400-600 gems and not 800 I’d buy it”

Bottom line is I am questioning the productivity / effectiveness of what they currently have because high prices mixed with very unflexible choices often puts people off, including me, and I have tonnes of money to spend. That’s why I made this thread. To highlight the possibility that they could be losing many sales due to something that could have more thought put into it

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: thehipone.6812

thehipone.6812

800 gems is $10 US.

Purchasing gems in GBP or EUR is about equal to US$13.

Prices are at the point where the monetization team estimates that Price x # of items sold is a maximum. I’m sure that students/kids perceive $10 to be too high. Older players with a 75k/year job, not so much.

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

Just because they are convenience or asthetical items doesn’t mean they can’t be overpriced.

What I’m debating here is whether it’s slightly too high because a price that’s just a bit too high may be counter productive to both anet and players alike.

There have been many times where I’ve thought “if there was an option for me to pay for 400 gems I’d get it” or “If that item was 400-600 gems and not 800 I’d buy it”

Bottom line is I am questioning the productivity / effectiveness of what they currently have because high prices mixed with very unflexible choices often puts people off, including me, and I have tonnes of money to spend. That’s why I made this thread. To highlight the possibility that they could be losing many sales due to something that could have more thought put into it

I made a similar observation regarding Gem Store Armor Sets being offered as Full Sets instead of individual items and the lost sales. I have no problems with cost of the items, just in the method in which they have been made available to us players.

Psychologically, players don’t like destroying 1-time items, and players also don’t like being forced to buy something they won’t use. Given a choice of 800 gems for 1 desired armor item that will be used, or 800 gems for a full set to where 5 of those items will collect dust in precious storage spaces as the player would feel guilty for destroying 1-time items…I think most would rather just get what they know they’ll use so they don’t feel forced into also buying and hanging onto other stuff they don’t want even if there is no difference in price.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

(edited by StinVec.3621)

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Personally, as long as stuff is account bound I’m alright with it, soulbound? Yeah… no, not cool.

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Bezayne.6459

Bezayne.6459

Speaking as someone with a full-time job – I flinch at the thought of paying 10 bucks for a minor convenience item in a computer game. So I either use gold→ gems, or don’t buy.

If gems for cash were cheaper, I’d be a lot more inclined to actually buy anything. As it is – sorry, not going to happen.

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Theundersigned.4761

I guess adding more payment options for Gems would be a good start.

(edited by Theundersigned.4761)

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Zeph.5927

Zeph.5927

I feel that anything bought on the gem store that is bound to you needs to be account bound. Period. Im sorry, but $10 for a pickaxe that only ONE character can use is dumb. Alot of people play multiple toons and gather on all of them as they play. Or they might make a future alt that they want the gathering tool transferred to. I get that Anet is trying to make money, but come on…..account bound or GTFO.

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: roamzero.9486

roamzero.9486

Worst part about the gem store is that apparently since Anet thinks customizing the look of your armor is a luxury its suitable to gate it entirely via gem-store-only Transmutation Crystals.. Beside that and the Infinite Continue Coin I don’t have any problems with the gem store.

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

StinVec.3621

Worst part about the gem store is that apparently since Anet thinks customizing the look of your armor is a luxury its suitable to gate it entirely via gem-store-only Transmutation Crystals.. Beside that and the Infinite Continue Coin I don’t have any problems with the gem store.

Transmutation Crystals are not only acquirable through the Gem Store. I’ve gone through several dozen of them since the game released and I never bought any of them from the Gem Store. I’ve gotten them all from Daily Reward Chests and once or twice from a Daily Reward Chest giving me a Black Lion Chest Key and I then got them from opening a Black Lion Chest with that free key.

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Behellagh.1468

The dailies give you ones that are good up to level 79. The ones that work on level 80 I’ve only seen in BL chests or bought at the store.

RIP City of Heroes

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Considering that players have the option to convert in-game Gold for Gems, effectively cutting off any type of revenue from microtransactions, renders your “losing sales” point moot.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

The dailies give you ones that are good up to level 79. The ones that work on level 80 I’ve only seen in BL chests or bought at the store.

I get 3 “gold” transmutes every time I run an alt through one of the city maps. I also frequently get them for other maps and singles for dailies. I’ve gotten a lot of “platinum” transmutes from opening chests (running an alt through the first part of the personal story) and pretty sure I’ve also gotten them from map completion and dailies, usually in stacks of 5.

The only consumable I don’t have a pile of is the chest keys. The only reliable way in game to get them is through the personal story, I’ve seen maybe two or three drop as dailies/map rewards over the last year.

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Behellagh.1468

Yes, I’ve gotten 129 “gold” ones from zone completions and other sources but the “platinum” ones I bought except the one time I got some in a BL Chest (about a week after I bought them). I don’t grind the PS for keys and I don’t play the BL Chest lottery so I haven’t opened many chests in the 8-9 months here.

RIP City of Heroes

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

tolunart.2095

Somehow if I ever run low on the platinum (level 80) transmutes I seem to discover a handful of them somewhere, I don’t buy them. So it is possible to get them in the game.

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Mai Eternal.7469

Considering that players have the option to convert in-game Gold for Gems, effectively cutting off any type of revenue from microtransactions, renders your “losing sales” point moot.

It doesn’t make it moot. It makes it available and fair, which is fine. People won’t pay money for gold then use that to pay for gems will they?

Therefore obviously I’m talking about the people who use real money to support Anet.

Someone stated “Adding more payment options would be a start”. I couldn’t agree more

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

StinVec.3621

Dailies can give you Transmutation Stones, but there is also the chance to get the Transmutation Crystals as noted in the link I provided. You can also get many other items in daily chests.

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Behellagh.1468

One in three hundred chance. So in the 9 months playing if I went for the daily every day there’s a 41.0% chance of not getting any, 36.6% chance of hitting them once, 16.3% of hitting them twice, 4.8% chance of hitting them three times and 1.3% chance of hitting them more than 3 times.

I guess I’m in the 41% group.

RIP City of Heroes

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nicron.2794

Nicron.2794

100+ gems for 1 hour +50% magic find is crazy
i dont see any reason why people would buy the mf buff from gemshop, i mean 100 gems is ~5g
this IS overpriced ^^
but i dont rly care, just noticed that there is 30% sale and thats still 105 gems lol

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Behellagh.1468

They price items based on cash never the Gold to Gem rate. A single MF is $1.88, five pack is $1.38 each.

RIP City of Heroes

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I definitely feel this is the case with some of the Gem Store items. Like you mentioned OP, stuff like the instruments, the dances, that sort of thing… they’re insanely overpriced, IMO. I mean, I love SAB and I’d love to be able to play the SAB music out in open world, but 800 gems? No. Just no.

Those things aren’t going to be constant parts of your gameplay. You have to actually stop normal gameplay in order to use something like that, which means you probably aren’t going to be using it that often, which means it should be a cheap purchase.

800 gems for an instrument I might use once a day at most just… doesn’t seem worthwhile at all. 98% of the time the thing is going to be sitting in your inventory serving zero purpose whatsoever.

Stuff like that should be… I dunno, 300 gems at most I’d say. And that’s for the functional stuff like the instruments which can actually provide a bit of gameplay in and of themselves. For the stuff like the Kites or town clothes which are purely cosmetic AND no use during normal gameplay, it should be even lower than that.

Contrast that to something like a set of armor, which you will see every time you play the game (or at least every time you play the character) and will see while you’re playing the game normally, out in open world, doing dungeons, that sort of thing. For that, I’d say the high price tag is more reasonable because you get a lot more out of it during most of your playtime. I mean, I’d still prefer if it was 600 gems for a set of armor and 400 gems for a weapon like it used to be rather than the 800/armor 600/weapons of more recent stuff, but even the current prices aren’t that bad or anything.

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

useless fluff

Transmute Splitters (Or Perfect Salvage Kits as they should be known), BL salv kits, Transmute Crystals, and a few other items … are definitely NOT FLUFF.

Some of these are vital or even required items after a Major update that did what introducing more “Ascended Tier” items has done. I find it disgusting infact that there is still no Mystic Toilet recipe to acquire those same items with when we could make almost the exact same item in the First game with a single skill point and ~50 iron.

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: covenn.7165

covenn.7165

They price items based on cash never the Gold to Gem rate. A single MF is $1.88, five pack is $1.38 each.

No real value there. Why spend money to only augment a small fraction of monthly play time? I would rather pay a subscription fee and get real value from a game company actually making improvements to the portion of the game I like to play.

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

I find it disgusting infact that there is still no Mystic Toilet recipe to acquire those same items with when we could make almost the exact same item in the First game with a single skill point and ~50 iron.

It’s very ridiculous to make that comparison between two games that have such vast differences in design.

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Fade.7658

Fade.7658

If you want Anet’s attention, vote with your wallet and don’t spend real money in the gem shop. If enough people do so, they’ll have to look at the reasons why.

I’ll never spend a real dime on this game (past the initial purchase price). Too many issues ignored, spotty customer service and more…

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Behellagh.1468

No real value there. Why spend money to only augment a small fraction of monthly play time? I would rather pay a subscription fee and get real value from a game company actually making improvements to the portion of the game I like to play.

Because you want to make the most of the playtime you have. You think people who play 90 or more hours a month buy these, no it’s the person with the spouse and children and a lawn with forced overtime in the office who is lucky to play 15 hours a month who buy boosters. Or buy a stack of keys because curiosity gets the better of them. Or buy gems with cash to convert into gold.

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

prices are high and gems are overpriced, fact of the matter is that any country paying with dollars are better of then the rest.
$10 is (when counting VAT and rounding it up) €9,50, they are pretty much stealing money from european customers and i find that unacceptable.
what’s more, their prices in GW2 are more expensive then the prices in GW1, especially considering the way they sell them.

a costume or armor skin costs 800 gems in GW2, that’s €10,- for a set.
they can only be used on one character and the skins need a different armor to make them work, forcing you to pay with gold to get your skin to work.
a costume in GW1 costs €8,99, is unlocked throughout the entire account and can be used even in battle.

so to me, they have gone from selling worthwhile stuff to stealing money for a weak purchase item, that’ greed.

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Behellagh.1468

Trotting out the post yet again

That’s basically the ratio that everyone uses. Just check out the prices for the next gen consoles.
XBox One – $499.99, £429.99, €499.99 – 1 to 0.86 to 1
PS4 – $399, £349, €399 – 1 to 0.875 to 1
GW2 – $50, £42.50, €50 – 1 to 0.85 to 1
It’s to cover VAT, exchange rate fees and currency fluctuation. If anything GW2 favors the UK more than Microsoft or Sony.

NCSoft operates out of the UK in Europe so the VAT they use is 20%.

RIP City of Heroes

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

sorudo.9054

the current rate of dollar-euro is 1 to 0,74, the price with 20% VAT is 8,988
so even with VAT, it’s €9,- when rounding it up.

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Behellagh.1468

Yes but when they set their rates, even if it was back when the game went live the exchange rate, according to XE, was 0.7959315059 Euro per Dollar making a 10 dollars with a 20% VAT 9.55 Euros rounded to 10. That ignores whatever fee the credit card companies charge and I’m sure they don’t use the most advantageous exchange rate.

They aren’t going to adjust their prices to keep up with the conversion rates. They printed and distributed Gem cards at Retail using that 1 to 1 or 1 to 0.85 in the case of Pounds rate and ANet doesn’t get face value from those due to the retail cut and the card processing costs.

And I just pointed out that it’s a gaming industry standard, at least for this year, pricing to equate US Dollars to Euros. Rage all you want it’s not going to change anything. ANet aren’t going to dynamically adjust their online prices according to exchange rates and they aren’t going to reissue new Gem Cards to match those new rates.

You pick a rate and pray that the rates don’t radically change for the duration beyond whatever worst case you built into your pricing.

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: owlmanatt.2415

owlmanatt.2415

I’ve started playing again in the last week. I was disappointed to find the gem store is still full of grossly overpriced items.

~$8 for an extra bank slot? It’s not that many extra spaces…

I’m not even slightly opposed to spending money in cash shops — I dropped something absurd like $150 on EMP / elite sub / game box for TERA in the single month I played it because I felt I was getting good value for my dollar.

There are very few items I feel are prices sanely in the BLTC. Often, even the items on the promo page are still way more than I find reasonable.

I sincerely wish this wasn’t the case. Unless and until this gets addressed, I’ll continue to not buy gems? :/

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Behellagh.1468

So $7.50 for 30 common slots is a lot?

DDO is $5.95 for 20 and that’s during double bonus points buying $200 worth of points. Otherwise it’ll be on the order of $12.44 if you bought a $20 point package with normal bonus points.

Tried to find other prices in other games but few list prices outside of the game itself.

RIP City of Heroes

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Paying real money for some thing that’s virtual, does little and is 1/6th of the purchase price for the game itself?

Yeah no.

Gold → Gems all the way.

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

sorudo.9054

Yes but when they set their rates, even if it was back when the game went live the exchange rate, according to XE, was 0.7959315059 Euro per Dollar making a 10 dollars with a 20% VAT 9.55 Euros rounded to 10. That ignores whatever fee the credit card companies charge and I’m sure they don’t use the most advantageous exchange rate.

this right here is where you’re making a huge mistake, who ever said everyone uses a credit card.
also, 45 cents is still 45 cents, i don’t care how rich you are but to me stealing 45 cents is plenty to make alarms ringing.

And I just pointed out that it’s a gaming industry standard, at least for this year, pricing to equate US Dollars to Euros. Rage all you want it’s not going to change anything. ANet aren’t going to dynamically adjust their online prices according to exchange rates and they aren’t going to reissue new Gem Cards to match those new rates.

You pick a rate and pray that the rates don’t radically change for the duration beyond whatever worst case you built into your pricing.

just because it’s a standard in game companies doesn’t justify that they steal money from customers, stealing is stealing and regardless of your excuse it’s forbidden and should never do that.
in your logic, when i get in your home and simply empty your wallet from money it’s all ok, you don’t mind being stolen from anyway.

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Behellagh.1468

If you go to the bank or at the airport to exchange your dollars to euros you won’t get anything close to the exchange rate that’s published. So what’s published is absolute best exchange rate and that’s between major banks, not banks to consumers or business, after all banks need to make money on the transaction.

Checking right now the exchange rate listed at XE is 0.7478766398 euros per dollar, at Travelex at JFK it’s 0.6736 which is a 11% difference. At Bank of America it’s 0.7093 or about 5.5%.

So you don’t use a credit card, what are you mailing ANet cash? Debit cards have fees. Paypal has fees.

I’m sorry that you don’t accept that foreign companies set the price out side of their country of origin to take into account fluctuating exchange rates, currency transfer fees and local mandated taxes. They aren’t in the business of giving you a discount if the rates are suddenly in your favor or owe you a refund if it goes the other way. It’s the nature of international commerce.

Try using your exchange rate argument the next time you try to buy a foreign made car, appliance, phone, etc and expect to be asked to leave the store if you go off how they are “stealing” from you.

RIP City of Heroes

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

sorudo.9054

i am done with you, VAT is the tax we pay and even with VAT it’s still 45 cents they steal.
you can justify all you want, the only thing you have shown up until now is prove that they are stealing money.

maybe it’s typical american (and i really don’t know for sure) but here in holland we don’t stand by and let companies steal from customers, we actually come up for our rights and demand a correction when a correction is due.

FYI, europe doesn’t use a credit card, it’s america-only who is addicted to that most insecure card.

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

tolunart.2095

Steal 45 cents? I leave more than that in the tip jar.

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lyskaria.2145

Lyskaria.2145

Transmutation Crystals are not only acquirable through the Gem Store. I’ve gone through several dozen of them since the game released and I never bought any of them from the Gem Store. I’ve gotten them all from Daily Reward Chests and once or twice from a Daily Reward Chest giving me a Black Lion Chest Key and I then got them from opening a Black Lion Chest with that free key.

I envy you and all those other players that got so many Transmutation Crystals. I’ve been playing since launch and I’ve received 5 since then from a Black Lion Chest. FIVE. Not the dozens that so many seem to be getting. It’s true that you can get them through normal play, but it’s incredibly reliant on RNG, so I don’t consider that much of a counter…

Will Ranger forever.

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Behellagh.1468

I envy you and all those other players that got so many Transmutation Crystals. I’ve been playing since launch and I’ve received 5 since then from a Black Lion Chest. FIVE. Not the dozens that so many seem to be getting. It’s true that you can get them through normal play, but it’s incredibly reliant on RNG, so I don’t consider that much of a counter…

I only got 5 from a chest, the rest I bought last time they were on sale. Still haven’t used them. The gold ones, I got well over a hundred of.

RIP City of Heroes

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

No. They offer exactly enough useless fluff, priced at exactly the right price, to dissuade casual gamers from wasting $s/gold on gems, while at the same time ensuring enough income from hardcore gamers to sustain the game.

Hardcore gamers don’t spend RL money on it. Casual gamers do.

Are you Shpongled?

Overpriced Gem store?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: cavemanreborntwo.5614

cavemanreborntwo.5614

I wasent bothered with spending 3 or 4 £ for backpacks and mini’s, but i currently need to switch server because all my friends are on another server, and its near or about £20 which IS overpriced.