Pile of Crystalline Dust

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Kraeje.5861

Kraeje.5861

Q:

So what do you think, where does ArenaNet want to see the prices of Dust, in particular T6 Crystalline Dust? There is so much Stuff depending on Dust, like Tuning Crystals, Sharpening Stones and Maintenance Oils, that are crazy expensive right now. Will ArenaNet introduce some counter mechanic in the next patch that does something about that?

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: OmniPotentes.4817

OmniPotentes.4817

Easiest way to fix this is to increase drop rate of dust.

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Kraeje.5861

yes, sure, but where do you think does ArenaNet want to see the prices of Dust? Could be that they are fine with where it is right now. After all they lowered the drop rate not too long ago.

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Black Wolf.7348

Black Wolf.7348

when they increase the drop rate of moldy bags in Orr, they made all other t6 mats drop a lot more often. at the same as stated in the post above, the changes nerfed the drop rate of t6 mats.
Since we all need large amount of t6 dust its only reasonable that the price increases.

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

Heavy moldy bags are nice but the leather/cloth trash drop rate is too high to get me excited when they drop anymore. Another possible fix would be to tone down their inclusion in these bags.

This would be a very smart and elegant solution to what is indeed now becoming a problem. This solution looks a bit like the vanilla bean fix that was implemented recently. By taking out black pepperkorn from the mature herb loot table, the vanilla bean price was fixed within a month.

I would merely add to this proposed fix that it shouldn’t only be applied to “heavy moldy” bags, but all bags within that tier (so that you’re not confined to killing stuff in Orr, but you can equally kill stuff in Frostgorge Sound and/or other places).

Actually, there’s a few additional benefits to this approach. T6 prices would drop a bit, and a leather/cloth will finally be a material worth storing in your bank, as they’re currently selling around vendor value.

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

The core market also crashed heavily because of the increase in the price of dust. In my opinion, this is the one market ANet needs to increase supply for significantly. Recently, it suffered a heavy loss from the Orr changes, and also a double-whammy from the Triforge Amulet being made easy-to-upgrade to Ascended. This has detrimentally impacted Maintenance Oils, Sharpening Stones, Cores, upgrading other T5 materials, and everything else that uses dust.

I hope John looks at this and, despite that he cannot confirm or deny a change, takes it into serious consideration.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

To answer your question, I don’t think Anet really cares what the price of T6 dust is. Why do you think they care about the price of any particular item on the TP? There are lots of items that are used for multiple recipes so I don’t believe that makes dust particularly unique in that respect.

I personally don’t see a reason to fiddle individual item drop rates in bags and such. In the bigger picture, it doesn’t accomplish much.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Rising Dusk.2408

John has said before that he watches these markets all of the time to make sure they are where they should be, whatever that is.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Obtena.7952

I doubt that the intention of his statement was to give you the impression that he watches the markets to control the cost of individual items. That’s just speculation on my part but for me, watching markets is about ensuring nothing particularly odd is happening, which may be the result of unscrupulous activities within the game. The general targets for item prices are probably in very broad ranges and categories. It would be truly insane and worthless for them to assess and control the price of any individual item on the TP.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Rising Dusk.2408

Their actions support my interpretation of his statement, however. Remember when they made Powerful Blood and Elaborate Totems drop in values of 1-2 from bags instead of just 1? That was a direct and deliberate choice made by ANet (and by extension, John’s team) to increase the supply for those T6 materials. My only argument is that Crystalline Dust desperately needs the same treatment due to the way it affects other markets, and also due to the number needed for so many other things in-game. It’s supply needs to increase after Orr’s changing severely decreased it.

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Obtena.7952

Well, that was a supply issue and yes I can agree that in the case of an in-balance in supply, they would re-evaluate that. I loot just as many dust as I do anything else so it seems they have fixed that. The distribution of T6 mat drop rate seems overall, equivalent. That’s where I would expect it to be. The balancing being asked for in this thread in this case is focused on addressing a demand problem.

Simply put, I don’t think drop rate should be so haphazardly increased to ensure a quantity that fullfills the complete range of Dust’s uses in-game. The balancing provided by the market does that all on it’s own. I want more Omnoms and Truffles too. That demand doesn’t really justify the addition of putting more ingame, no more than it does for Dust.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Smuggler.6739

Smuggler.6739

everygame after it’s first 6 months get it’s prices high and i believe that after a year it may get up to 50s as the cash in the game (in players hands) increase

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Orpheus.7284

Orpheus.7284

Price of dust needs to be reduced for T5-6 promotion recipes to make sense…

Its just silly.

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Kraeje.5861

Well yes, in particular Crystalline Dust is crazy expensive right now. It peaked over 25s yesterday while Ectos were under 25s. Ectos are ‘Exotic’ wile Dust is ‘Fine’ though…

So for the sake of argument, lets say ArenaNet wants Dust to be that expensive and Ectos that cheap, what they could do to even out the discrepancy is to change both to be ‘Rare’.

Well, I soled my Dust by now, hoping the Devs will introduce some mechanic that lets the Dust price drop again. At current price I wouldn’t want to afford 750 Crystalline Dust anyway, as The Bifrost is my far goal.

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: roamzero.9486

roamzero.9486

Well, I soled my Dust by now, hoping the Devs will introduce some mechanic that lets the Dust price drop again. At current price I wouldn’t want to afford 750 Crystalline Dust anyway, as The Bifrost is my far goal.

After running AC recently I noticed that (with a level 80 char), the rewards from chests/bosses would have a bunch of T5 dusts and sometimes a couple T6 (I dont remember this ever being there, but it could have been added with the last patch that changed the AC bosses)

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: morphemass.2850

morphemass.2850

This is getting silly.

Obviously in the original design documents, dust was envisioned as being cheap and plentiful. I can state this with some certainty because of its use in recipes upconverting materials, a decision that was obviously taken to provide some form of control in the relationship and pricing between the tiers of materials.

Now, due purely to the price of T6 dust, there is a loss of 1G-1.5G in the conversion of T5->T6 mats, which has the knock-on effect of reducing the supply of T6 mats from sources other than drops. Similarly T4→T5 conversions are affected due to the consequential cost of T5 dust.

With last months changes to Orr drops, the supply of T5/T6 dust was reduced by over 80% however I don’t believe the consequence of this change was adequately rationalised.

A sensible solution would be to replace the silk and leather drops from bags with dust (as has already been proposed by another poster). Alternatives such as adding dust as a result of salvaging, or allowing the salvaging of something like the trophy bone drops would increase supply.

Whatever is done though, something is required to increase the dust supply, and increase it dramatically.

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Sigmatics.7056

Sigmatics.7056

I have a hunch that ArenaNet will increase the availability of dust in the next patch as the changes to event scaling unintentionally lowered its supply to the playerbase.

So, sell your dust now while it’s hot.

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

I have a hunch that ArenaNet will increase the availability of dust in the next patch as the changes to event scaling unintentionally lowered its supply to the playerbase.

So, sell your dust now while it’s hot.

so tempted to sell it right now … ;_;

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Rising Dusk.2408

Just mail it to me and save yourself the trouble of deciding when to sell! I need like 1350 of the blasted things, but there’s no way I’m buying anything at these prices.

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

This is getting silly.

Obviously in the original design documents, dust was envisioned as being cheap and plentiful. I can state this with some certainty because of its use in recipes upconverting materials, a decision that was obviously taken to provide some form of control in the relationship and pricing between the tiers of materials.

Now, due purely to the price of T6 dust, there is a loss of 1G-1.5G in the conversion of T5->T6 mats, which has the knock-on effect of reducing the supply of T6 mats from sources other than drops. Similarly T4->T5 conversions are affected due to the consequential cost of T5 dust.

With last months changes to Orr drops, the supply of T5/T6 dust was reduced by over 80% however I don’t believe the consequence of this change was adequately rationalised.

A sensible solution would be to replace the silk and leather drops from bags with dust (as has already been proposed by another poster). Alternatives such as adding dust as a result of salvaging, or allowing the salvaging of something like the trophy bone drops would increase supply.

Whatever is done though, something is required to increase the dust supply, and increase it dramatically.

I agree with the rest but I don’t think replacing silk and leather is the sensible thing to do. The t5 cloth and leather have become effectively worthless and they need a better long term solution for that(maybe you’ll need stacks of them when they add Legendary armors …). As someone else pointed out they could just increase the size of the dust stacks that come from the bags.

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

I don’t believe this was accidental. It was deliberate. Anything they do in the game is designed to slow down the consumption of content in order to buy more time for them to create new content.

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

morphemass.2850

I don’t believe this was accidental. It was deliberate. Anything they do in the game is designed to slow down the consumption of content in order to buy more time for them to create new content.

I have to respectfully disagree ~ one of the reasons for the implementation of the heavy bag drops, and the change to Orr mobs dropping T6 mats, and the doubling of T6 mats returned via heavy bags, was to increase their supply. In many ways this worked, however the reduced T5/6 dust supply removed a control on the price of T6 mats, which is why we are seeing the inflation. Very little to do with slowing anyone down since I’m acquiring T6 mats at twice the rate I used to via farming….

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Sandra Martino.3870

Sandra Martino.3870

t6 dust rising to 28s now

Something has to be done when patch hits.

Still Feeling Lucky [PunK] – Gunnars Hold
Recruiting necros & guardians. Whisper ingame.

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

I’m curious what people are using the dust on, I presume some new recipe was added in my absence that jacked up demand?

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Gasoline.2570

Gasoline.2570

I’m curious what people are using the dust on, I presume some new recipe was added in my absence that jacked up demand?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Pile_of_Crystalline_Dust
+ T5-T6 upgrades.

The balance team is chained to SPVP, and the PVE team is all about producing carnivals

(edited by Gasoline.2570)

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Kraeje.5861

what’s happening? someone just bought sort of all the Crystalline Dust?

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Sandra Martino.3870

i have no idea why, elaborate totems, scales and most of the other t6 mats stabilized around 15s, not quite sure why dust suddenly became so expensive. Its not like there is any less supply or higher demand by such a large margin compared to the other t6 mats.

The only thing i can imagine is that pile of dust is required in turning cores to lodestones and in most of the popular legendary weapon gifts. Yet this should only result in marginal inflation due to the few active legendary farmers around. <5% of playerbase something?

Gasoline, i don’t think t5-t6 upgrades is actually cost worthy until t6 dust reaches 5s or so.

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

i have no idea why, elaborate totems, scales and most of the other t6 mats stabilized around 15s, not quite sure why dust suddenly became so expensive. Its not like there is any less supply or higher demand by such a large margin compared to the other t6 mats.

The only thing i can imagine is that pile of dust is required in turning cores to lodestones and in most of the popular legendary weapon gifts. Yet this should only result in marginal inflation due to the few active legendary farmers around. <5% of playerbase something?

Gasoline, i don’t think t5-t6 upgrades is actually cost worthy until t6 dust reaches 5s or so.

I’m thinking a lot of people are making their triforge? I believe Triforge requires 750 total crystalline dust.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

morphemass.2850

I’m not really expecting something this patch….but it would be a pleasant surprise if there was.

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Kraeje.5861

it peaked again, over 70s not too long ago… there just isn’t any supply left…

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Vol.5241

70s for dust? What are you smoking lol.

If it actually ended up that high, I bet you some ignorant player decided to just buy stacks upon stacks and burnt through all the dust priced between 30-70s

Gotta be careful when buying stacks on the outpost. That stack of 250 could all be priced at 30s or it could also be priced at

10 at 30
90 at35
100 at 40
50 between 40-70

[Permabanned on Forums]

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Kraeje.5861

I said it peaked, not that it is at this price right now.
Look it up if you don’t believe me:
http://www.guildwarstrade.com/item/24277
Sell Listing at 09:22 am GMT: 71.25 s

It’s probably peaking repeatedly because there just isn’t enough Supply. At that time there only were 44 left.
Lucky guys who had listed their dust for 60 to 70s at that time, they made quite a good deal by selling it.

(edited by Kraeje.5861)

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lane.3410

Lane.3410

I was online when that happened. Managed to sell some dust at around 50s/ea. before some idiot(s) started listing at 28s. I mean, come on, there’s undercutting and there’s just stupidity. I think whoever it was actually ended up undercutting the buy orders, if that’s even possible.

I’m just glad I was only selling small amounts, I expected undercutting but nothing that bad. Unfortunately, no one after that bothered to look at the listing history and have just kept matching lowest seller since. If they had, the price would probably still be in the 40s range at least.

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Vol.5241

I was online when that happened. Managed to sell some dust at around 50s/ea. before some idiot(s) started listing at 28s. I mean, come on, there’s undercutting and there’s just stupidity. I think whoever it was actually ended up undercutting the buy orders, if that’s even possible.

I’m just glad I was only selling small amounts, I expected undercutting but nothing that bad. Unfortunately, no one after that bothered to look at the listing history and have just kept matching lowest seller since. If they had, the price would probably still be in the 40s range at least.

It’s stupid that people expect to sell crystalline at 50s for an extended period of time. Why would I waste my listing fee for such an unsustainable price?

[Permabanned on Forums]

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

morphemass.2850

Well, TBH, I had hoped for something to be done this patch because the reduction of the dust supply to 1/6th of its former levels seemed like such an obvious oversight and the consequences are likely to be 100% counter to the intended effects of other changes in T6 mat drops.

Obviously a period of rampant T6 inflation is on the way again.

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lane.3410

Lane.3410

Yeah, I just finished reading the patch notes. Glad I didn’t rush to sell all my T6 dust now. :P

It’s stupid that people expect to sell crystalline at 50s for an extended period of time. Why would I waste my listing fee for such an unsustainable price?

Extended? This was within maybe 5-15 minutes of the spike. I didn’t necessarily expect those prices to last (hence listing very small amounts at a time), but I also didn’t expect someone to come along and undercut by half in that short amount of time either.

I only have about 10 dust that didn’t sell at the higher prices, and if prices keep increasing then they’ll sell at some point in the not too distant future.

(edited by Lane.3410)

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Sandra Martino.3870

Sooo droprate hasnt been increased yet? Price doesnt seem to change and neither can find any word about it in the patchnotes, strange.

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

Master maintenance oil supply has dried up entirely.

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lily Miranda.5407

Lily Miranda.5407

~~~disappointed~~~

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ozzel.5634

Ozzel.5634

Dust is out of control now.
I need about 400++ dust for my Legendery project but as I see I must wait for a few months (or year).

Dust >> Ecto

SFR

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Sandra Martino.3870

If this continues wer gonna buy pile of dust for core/lodestones prices. This cannot be intented for a blue flagged item.

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

If you think dust is too expensive, go farm it and sell it to people, heh.

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Rising Dusk.2408

If you think dust is too expensive, go farm it and sell it to people, heh.

Telling people to “go farm it” isn’t helping anything when the inability to appropriately farm it is exactly the reason the price has risen so high in the first place.

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

Telling people to “go farm it” isn’t helping anything when the inability to appropriately farm it is exactly the reason the price has risen so high in the first place.

And prices will continue to rise, until suddenly, it becomes profitable to farm them!

By the way, there are methods to farm them. Farming events in Pent/Shelt in Cursed Shores drops a quite a generous amount. I get around 5-10 dust in about an hour.

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

It will not get profitable to farm them until they are worth 50s or more because there is such a discrepancy in profit between CoF and farming mats (not to mention DR kicks in HARD on cursed shore farming after a piddly 45 minutes). I’m honestly shocked that Anet still has not reared CoF in. The quickness nerf did absolutely nothing.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Rising Dusk.2408

And prices will continue to rise, until suddenly, it becomes profitable to farm them!

By the way, there are methods to farm them. Farming events in Pent/Shelt in Cursed Shores drops a quite a generous amount. I get around 5-10 dust in about an hour.

As Jabberwork mentions above, the problem with that logic is that it’s more efficient to farm CoF 1 and buy the dust than to farm it. No matter how you cut it, you’re making more gold/hour in CoF 1 than farming and selling Crystalline Dust. Getting 5-10 per hour, even considering the other things you get from those events, is an inefficient use of your time. Because it’s more profitable to generate gold than to generate items, the price will rise as the value of gold deflates (this is a slow process, but it is happening so long as CoF 1 is unchanged).

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

As Jabberwork mentions above, the problem with that logic is that it’s more efficient to farm CoF 1 and buy the dust than to farm it. No matter how you cut it, you’re making more gold/hour in CoF 1 than farming and selling Crystalline Dust. Getting 5-10 per hour, even considering the other things you get from those events, is an inefficient use of your time. Because it’s more profitable to generate gold than to generate items, the price will rise as the value of gold deflates (this is a slow process, but it is happening so long as CoF 1 is unchanged).

Right, exactly. And eventually, the prices shall continue to rise until it becomes as profitable to farm the Dust, or CoF 1 is nerfed.

I’m not sure what you’re disagreeing with here.

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

The problem is, prices will rise to absurd levels if something is not changed. 50s was honestly lowballing it. CoF is just FAR too profitable and generates FAR too much gold from thin air.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Rising Dusk.2408

Right, exactly. And eventually, the prices shall continue to rise until it becomes as profitable to farm the Dust, or CoF 1 is nerfed.

I’m not sure what you’re disagreeing with here.

That the price rising is inevitable given ANet’s non-intervention is not a point of contest between us; I agree with you that given the state of things, prices will just continue to balloon. My point is that such an inevitable rise is a problem that ANet should intervene and address. CoF 1 is its own issue, but I think that the changes to Orr too severely reduced the sustained supply of Crystalline Dust without ANet giving due consideration to how much it is used compared to other T6 materials. My argument is that the way things are now is unhealthy for the game, and that supply should be increased to compensate.

Pile of Crystalline Dust

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

Master maintenance oil supply has dried up entirely.

I made a tidy profit off this I had ~2000 listed around 8s that all sold when the price temporarily spiked. I love logging on and picking up 150g I didn’t know was coming.
weird that the maintenance oil spiked 17 hours after the crystalline dust spiked. I would of expected at the same time or at most 1 hour delay.