Play the TP/flipping

Play the TP/flipping

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: aophts.9862

aophts.9862

I know that the chance of someone explain this to me is almost zero, but i need to try.

What is this thing called “play the TP”? Seriously, what’s that even means?

I’m not a major economic/wallstreet guy or something, i don’t have any clue about economic and market and all that, i’m just a guy wanting to have fun playing a game and be able to make some gold. But it seems that you need advanced knowledge in things that are not fun, to be able to make gold in this game!

Could someone help me, pls?

Play the TP/flipping

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Simple:

Buy low, sell high.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Play the TP/flipping

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

It comes down to fun. Some like farming cof p1, some like playing the market, but some may think these are just like a job to them and might as well just buy gems and convert to gold. If you don’t find it fun, you won’t succeed.

Flipping, basically just buy low sell high. Just like the stock market, you find a stock that has protential, buy it while it’s low, sell it when it raise. In gw2, it’s not stock but varies items on TP.

One thing though, in GW2 TP, when you sell an item, 15% of the profit is gonna be taken out. So you need to have a larger than 15% margin in order to earn from the process.

Play the TP/flipping

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Joe.8142

Joe.8142

Buy cheap from people, sell high to people. That is it in principle.

I’ll give you an example. Let’s look at the item Pirate hat of the world (it isn’t a real item, just for example purposes). It’s highest buy offer is 15s and its lowest sell offer is 24s. So you put an offer in for 10 at 15s and over let’s say 1 hour you buy them all. Then you go and sell them for 24s and after an hour they have sold. There you have it, profit from just filtering items through the TP.

It works by people wanting a quick sell. One person has that item and wants to sell it, he sees an instant buy of 15s or can put an offer to sell for 24s. However, the 9s difference isn’t much to him and he would rather instantly sell it. He has not lost out on much potential money. But when 10 people have the same idea and want instant buys/sells individually they do not miss out on much money but as a group there is a lot of missing money. That has just ended up with you.

It is a very good way of making money but it does require a lot of start up cash to make it good. I would say 50g it is worth doing it, but once you hit a few hundred golds then you can make a killer off it because you can flip many different items at once. Markets do change though so be warned it is a risk.

I would advise flipping items that are regularly traded through the TP but not saturated (don’t bother with items like copper ore). I’m not going to give away my personal items of course. I would recommend not doing items that are traded for more than a few gold unless you have hundreds of gold. The key is to diversify as much as possible, less risk and most of the time more profit.

It is not advanced, it is not difficult. And remember you can flip virtually everything, although some things are not worthwhile.

Play the TP/flipping

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: aeneq.1760

aeneq.1760

There is afaik two strategies to flip

• Look for items that are “valuabe”, things like weapons/armor that a levelling usually buys (ie strong/berserker) and try to buy them cheap and sell high.
  • Look at market trends and anticipate these, this usually means looking at the flow of the playerbase which correlates to content releases and hope you can predict an increase in need for specific items (like quartz for instance, if this is needed to craft ascended in the future then the price will most likely go up)

Either way it can be a lot of work always monitoring the TP for changes and wether your orders are undercut etc etc. I myself did a stint which was very profitable but I ended up standing in the auction house for all my gaming time.

Play the TP/flipping

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Put all that effort into real world day trading, make a fortune and buy gems. If you’re going to learn speculation, at the very least do it somewhere where you can really make the big bucks. Flipping ingame is for wannabes.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Play the TP/flipping

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

It’s basically a way to exploit the game. If you have a lot of gold, you can buy a lot of a given item and sell it for a higher price, creating an artificial increase in price. The more gold you have, the more gold you can make through this process, at the cost of making the game a bit worse for everyone else (since you are artificially making it harder for people to get what they want).

If it’s a rare enough item, you can even buy all of it in the market and set a monopoly, selling at a considerable higher price than you bought. This doesn’t work with items that have a huge turnover like Globs of Ectoplasm, but for truly rare items – like precursors – it can be a gold mine.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Play the TP/flipping

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

Put all that effort into real world day trading, make a fortune and buy gems. If you’re going to learn speculation, at the very least do it somewhere where you can really make the big bucks. Flipping ingame is for wannabes.

Real world market is obviously far harder to work with. Plus, you need a large amount of money to start with.

Play the TP/flipping

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

Learn the crafting system to be a better “flipper”. If you have no clue about crafting, you can’t see the impact of certain changes you read in the patch notes. Patch notes are essentially the biggest market shifters in the game, it’s a big hustle and bustle in flipperland every time new patch notes are up.

Play the TP/flipping

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Fenrir.3609

Fenrir.3609

Not sure if serious…

Play the TP/flipping

in Black Lion Trading Co

marnick.4305

It’s basically a way to exploit the game. If you have a lot of gold, you can buy a lot of a given item and sell it for a higher price, creating an artificial increase in price. The more gold you have, the more gold you can make through this process, at the cost of making the game a bit worse for everyone else (since you are artificially making it harder for people to get what they want).

If it’s a rare enough item, you can even buy all of it in the market and set a monopoly, selling at a considerable higher price than you bought. This doesn’t work with items that have a huge turnover like Globs of Ectoplasm, but for truly rare items – like precursors – it can be a gold mine.

And you can prove this happens because precursor prices have been extremely stable since january. Oh wait … that actually disproves the theory.

Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Play the TP/flipping

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rebort.6295

Rebort.6295

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/enlightenment.png

Play the TP/flipping

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

You don’t create an artificial price increase. Doing so will just lead to hundred of undercuts and you’ll happily see your item sitting in your selling list every time you open TP.

Monopoly exist, but only the most experienced, and richest can put out one. For most people, you ride the flow of the wave. The price raise, you sell. The price drop, you buy. Don’t even think of monopoly.

Play the TP/flipping

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

And you can prove this happens because precursor prices have been extremely stable since january. Oh wait … that actually disproves the theory.

Uh… You do realize we can see the price fluctuations, right? So saying something that is not true like that is kinda pointless. Dusk, for example, has had multiple spikes in price since January, with its price having increased more than 100 gold during the last 30 days. This is not “extremely stable”.

You don’t create an artificial price increase. Doing so will just lead to hundred of undercuts and you’ll happily see your item sitting in your selling list every time you open TP.

There are no “hundred” of given precursors. It’s not possible to have a monopoly of common items like ectoplasm, but for extremely rare items like precursors, well… Using the same example above, right now there are 11 Dusks available in the TP. Those do not have such a high rotativity that someone with enough gold would be unable to get them and offer the same items for a higher price.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

(edited by Erasculio.2914)

Play the TP/flipping

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Items that do not have an unlimited source (very small RNG chances are not really “unlimited”) and are in high demand are the only items that COULD be manipulated as described. Yes, precursors do fall into that category (but not many other items do).

In general, I do not consider “flipping” what Mr. Erasculio describes. That is called “cornering” the market and has actually been successfully done in the real commodities market quite a number of times.

The Hunts brothers (yes….the Tomato empire guys) were busted with control of about 50% of the worlds deliverable Silver in early 1980. They had driven the price from $11 / ounce to almost $50 / ounce. The reversal and price drop that resulted changed several commodities trading rules and is still known as “Silver Thursday rules”.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Play the TP/flipping

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Yaos.4528

Yaos.4528

I did this back in the day, before I got this paper, before I got paid. It was really boring and I enjoy mining stuff up more than flipping stuff.

Play the TP/flipping

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Himei.5379

Himei.5379

Another way is to be “first”. Recognize the item’s value first, the hype for it then invest and dump as soon as it skyrockets when the demand soars. This is usually new items from patches such as Holographic Dragon Wings. I picked up 10 when they were at 18g each, sold it very fast when it went up to 34g each.

Play the TP/flipping

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

There is also crafting. Keep a eye on the price of ingredients for certain items and consumables. Place buy orders when they are low. Craft and sell the finished product at a profit. It’s a little more work but you have a greater diversity of stuff to work with and more ways to make some G. I’ve been averaging 15-20g per day (30-60 mins of actually playing TP).

I also prefer not sell large amounts at a time cause it really sucks putting a 250 stack of something and have 15 people undercut you with 1000 sell orders. There is an opportunity cost to having that money stuck in the market cause you can’t reinvest into other avenues. I’ll craft a couple dozen and wait for them to sell before I craft more. Later on when I have a larger operating budget I might be able to afford to have a couple hundred gold worth of stuff waiting to be sold but until then it’s baby steps.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

Play the TP/flipping

in Black Lion Trading Co

marnick.4305

Uh… You do realize we can see the price fluctuations, right? So saying something that is not true like that is kinda pointless. Dusk, for example, has had multiple spikes in price since January, with its price having increased more than 100 gold during the last 30 days. This is not “extremely stable”.

Quite the contrary. The fluctuations you see are due to players buying the item, leaving higher priced items as the lowest. These are unattractive and therefor new drops naturally lower the price again. That’s why there’s short spikes while the overall value remains relatively constant.

That’s my interpretation though. You don’t have to be convinced, but I’m not convinced by your pet conspiracy either. Put Dusk on the “all time” and you’ll see a rather constant price with relatively minor spikes here and there.

Again, I don’t need to convince you, but the facts speak for themselves. Unless you have proof, I will stay with the facts. Dusk is currently correctly priced given its enormous popularity.

Play the TP/flipping

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Magnus Steelgrave.6580

Magnus Steelgrave.6580

just because something extremely valuable increases by 15% or so doesn’t indicate instability… it just means there was a run in the market by people who want to make an extremely common legendary is all. And no flipper worth their salt would waste their time hoarding dusks to pump them up 100g… minus tp fees they would only be making ~10g per dusk and that is nowhere near worth the time it would take to flip it and the amount of gold one would have to waste floating out there while its waiting to sell.

Play the TP/flipping

in Black Lion Trading Co

marnick.4305

just because something extremely valuable increases by 15% or so doesn’t indicate instability… it just means there was a run in the market by people who want to make an extremely common legendary is all. And no flipper worth their salt would waste their time hoarding dusks to pump them up 100g… minus tp fees they would only be making ~10g per dusk and that is nowhere near worth the time it would take to flip it and the amount of gold one would have to waste floating out there while its waiting to sell.

You’re using facts. Don’t do that. Bad idea.