Poll: Would you use your BL Chests if...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

There was a guarantee to get a Black Lion Key from them?

If you could actually use them to create a key through various means would you be interested in using them?

Some ideas: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Black-Lion-Chest-Key-Improvement/first#post1478367

This would put an end to the millions of chests on the TP and finally make the chests an interesting part of the game rather than something that sits dormant on the TP for ages.

It could possibly help the economy, help enjoy the game more, and allow players in game to enjoy the boxes without being forced to purchase keys since the drop rate is so very low. And if you don’t want to use them or open the price change on TP could help you make some coin off those ones you don’t want.

So would you use them? Why or why not? And are the ideas something that you would want to see in a future update? Why or why not?

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

If you were guaranteed a key from the chest, buying one key would open all 1 million chests on the TP…..I can only imagine that’s not what you meant…

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Shufflepants.9785

Shufflepants.9785

Also, ANet would NEVER implement what you suggested or what’s suggested in the forum link you posted. Either of these options would completely eliminate the need to buy keys off of the gem store. No matter how much players wanted these options, ANet would never give it to us unless they had just completely given up making money from keys sold in the gem shop. Realistically, what ANet should do is just put something in the BL chests that is actually worth dropping the money on or make the keys way cheaper.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Geotherma.2395

If you were guaranteed a key from the chest, buying one key would open all 1 million chests on the TP…..I can only imagine that’s not what you meant…

No.. I meant that there wouldn’t be 1million chests sitting on the TP doing nothing.
And you would only get 1 key from 20 chests, or 1 key from 1 laurel and 3 chests. Or something to that affect that would be fair overall.

No.. I meant that there wouldn’t be 1million chests sitting on the TP doing nothing.
And you would only get 1 key from 20 chests, or 1 key from 1 laurel and 3 chests. Or something to that affect that would be fair overall.With the laurel idea they could also lower price of keys, so those who don’t want to spend laurels could buy the keys with gems or through transfer gold-gems and get the keys. The second idea would probably be better to avoid making the Gem bought keys completely useless. But it could be 2 laurels or 5, or it could be 50 chests, they aren’t set numbers just the base idea I was trying to get acrossed.

Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF

(edited by Geotherma.2395)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Geotherma.2395

Or even have an NPC during events that you could trade X number of chests to for a key. This would keep the keys from piling up too fast all year round for peoples accounts. If people had a reason to use them they wouldn’t be so stagnant and take up space in peoples banks or the TP.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Darxio.5672

Darxio.5672

Nah, there is no way I’d ever care enough about black lion chests to open them in mass.

I destroy them in my inventory when I get them these days. Not worth selling on the TP.

If I ever get a key, I just grab one of the hundreds of chests I have in my bank. If I’m feeling real lazy, I’ll buy one for a few copper off the TP.

No fix to keys will make your Black Lion Chest investment worth it. There are just too many chests compared to how many keys are bought/found, and impossible to manipulate due to the sheer volume of chests.

PS: Why you’re bothering to sell Black Lion Chests when they’re worth 20% of one copper ore is beyond me. It’s as bad a decision as speculating in cinnamon.

Brigade of the Black Twilight [BBT]
Darxio – Thief Commander

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lynne.8416

Lynne.8416

IF the keys were sold by a Laurel vendor, then eventually I might spend my laurels on them.
Since items from the chest are account bound, so I can’t even sell or give away unwanted items. I don’t see me opening very many chests.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: shedim.8504

shedim.8504

BL chests should have a chance to drop exotics and even precursors. Boom. People would buy them.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Geotherma.2395

Nah, there is no way I’d ever care enough about black lion chests to open them in mass.

I destroy them in my inventory when I get them these days. Not worth selling on the TP.

If I ever get a key, I just grab one of the hundreds of chests I have in my bank. If I’m feeling real lazy, I’ll buy one for a few copper off the TP.

No fix to keys will make your Black Lion Chest investment worth it. There are just too many chests compared to how many keys are bought/found, and impossible to manipulate due to the sheer volume of chests.

PS: Why you’re bothering to sell Black Lion Chests when they’re worth 20% of one copper ore is beyond me. It’s as bad a decision as speculating in cinnamon.

Why not sell them? Just because they are worth less doesn’t mean you shouldn’t sell them. It makes no sense to not make profit of some sort off of something and toss it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Sokar Rostau.7316

Sokar Rostau.7316

Last week I got an Abyss Dye from a BL Chest.

I also vaguely recall reading that the Mystic Forge Conduits had a miniscule chance to drop in the chests after the “market stabilisation event” ended and you couldn’t make them anymore. I have no idea if this is true or not, but if it is they are worth 70g right now and rising (and I sold my spare for 15g during the event )

Also, Chests already have a chance to drop Keys. It’s at a high enough rate that buying 5 BL Keys from the Gem Store has about a 50/50 chance of giving you at least one key. Back in October I bought 5 keys and opened 13 chests (only bought keys once since then because I was playing Skyrim most of the time).

Dragonbrand – Reforged Vanguard [ReVa]
Kyxha 80 Ranger, Sokar 80 Necro
Niobe 80 Guardian, Symbaoe 45 Ele

in Black Lion Trading Co

Geotherma.2395

Last week I got an Abyss Dye from a BL Chest.

I also vaguely recall reading that the Mystic Forge Conduits had a miniscule chance to drop in the chests after the “market stabilisation event” ended and you couldn’t make them anymore. I have no idea if this is true or not, but if it is they are worth 70g right now and rising (and I sold my spare for 15g during the event )

Also, Chests already have a chance to drop Keys. It’s at a high enough rate that buying 5 BL Keys from the Gem Store has about a 50/50 chance of giving you at least one key. Back in October I bought 5 keys and opened 13 chests (only bought keys once since then because I was playing Skyrim most of the time).

This happens to me a lot too. The best one so far was I bought 20 keys, 6 dropped, then 3 more, then 1 lol. I was like well thank you :P

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Kimyrielle.3826

Kimyrielle.3826

As others said, the very point of those lottery chests in any F2P MMO is to encourage players to wast…errrm…invest a huge amount of money into the abysmal chance to get anything decent out of them. As with all sorts of gambling, bank always wins. ANet has zero interest in making keys any more available through gameplay than they are right now.

Tarnished Coast

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

BL chests should have a chance to drop exotics and even precursors. Boom. People would buy them.

This would border on Pay 2 Win.

I would like to see chests used in an MF recipe. Could give boosters, keys, etc.

RIP in peace Robert

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nalora.7964

Nalora.7964

Put a high chance of Ori or Omnom berries in them and everyone would open them.

DEMAND Bunny Slippers and a bathrobe!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: CriminalMind.4379

CriminalMind.4379

You know. If they would just lower the cost of items in the Black Lion retail section I believe that more people would buy item. 125 gems for a black lion chest key is just plain absurd. Their mentality is to make X amount of dollars off the few instead of making XXX off the many. This seems to be a general merchandising malpractice IMO. Especially for items that are a bunch of 1’s and 0’s. It cost nothing to manufacture these virtual items but they are charging a price like they are something used in real life. For the price of a Black Lion key I can have a lunch at McDonalds. So I personally will not buy anything more from the store unless prices drop drastically.

The only great thing they sell is a character expansion slot and maybe bank slots but everything else just cost way to much.

Just my opinion. And don’t get me wrong. I love the game and would love to support it by purchasing items from them but not going to happen for me at the current prices.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Malvagite.3254

Malvagite.3254

Put a high chance of Ori or Omnom berries in them and everyone would open them.

You could guarentee an ori and an omnon and they wouldnt be worth opening.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wolfield.9812

Wolfield.9812

Put precursors in them.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: iSmack.1768

iSmack.1768

There’s only 2-3 items that I would love to have from those chests… Knowing my luck and RNG-Gods Hatred towards me… Impossible to get my hands on them, so I wouldn’t even bother wasting my time unlocking them 1 by 1.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: X The Manimal.5293

X The Manimal.5293

Wouldnt that mean that buying ONE key would open every chest ever in the game for you? Why have them locked at all then?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

Sorry, bad idea. As other’s said – one opens all – not good.

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Geotherma.2395

Not sure how people see “one opens all” lol.. I have no clue where people are reading this.

I see a serious problem with understanding context in forums. 1 key would not open every chest.,.. 20 chests would give you 1 key from the Mystic Forge OR 3 chests and 1 laurel would give you 1 key. That one key either way would not open every chest, it would be no different than the keys in game now. How people interpreted that the key would open every chest is beyond me… The numbers are arbitrary and only for example.

(edited by Geotherma.2395)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

Poll: Would you use your BL…
There was a guarantee to get a Black Lion Key from them?

This is directly from the OP.

Would you use your BL if there was a guarantee to get a key from them?

So you open a chest, get a key, so you open a chest, get a key, so you open a chest…

That’s where people are getting that idea.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: gillius.2856

gillius.2856

Not sure how people see “one opens all” lol.. I have no clue where people are reading this.

I
Because you said… If you guarantee a key from a chest….

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Would I use my chests if I had a means of getting keys without using Gems or Gold-to-Gems?

. . . yes. I do every time a Key drops. If I had other ways of getting Keys which wouldn’t cause me to go through excessive hoops (Like Captain Commendations of an absurd amount for what I would pull in?) then I’d do them. And then I’d enjoy and use the boosters and such from them more often.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Geotherma.2395

I
Because you said… If you guarantee a key from a chest….

Them, the word was Them. As in the, idea below this title will entail how this would work if people read farther than one sentence.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Omen.1879

Omen.1879

I think the biggest problem with bl chests atm is that their contents are simply not worth the key cost. Let’s face it, if you want boosters or instant repairs or any of the other gem consumables you are just better off buying them instead of the keys.

That is unless you are specifically looking for a tiny guild inf boost or a potion that turns you into an animal. And if you want a rare item that is going to make you hundreds of gold, you may as well just buy the gold.

In short, no, they are not worth it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: FateOmega.9601

FateOmega.9601

BL chest already had a chance of getting a key back. The tp and everyone bank still have a load of useless locked BL chest.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Sokar Rostau.7316

Sokar Rostau.7316

You know. If they would just lower the cost of items in the Black Lion retail section I believe that more people would buy item. 125 gems for a black lion chest key is just plain absurd. Their mentality is to make X amount of dollars off the few instead of making XXX off the many. This seems to be a general merchandising malpractice IMO. Especially for items that are a bunch of 1’s and 0’s. It cost nothing to manufacture these virtual items but they are charging a price like they are something used in real life. For the price of a Black Lion key I can have a lunch at McDonalds. So I personally will not buy anything more from the store unless prices drop drastically.

The only great thing they sell is a character expansion slot and maybe bank slots but everything else just cost way to much.

Just my opinion. And don’t get me wrong. I love the game and would love to support it by purchasing items from them but not going to happen for me at the current prices.

For what it’s worth, I agree with you… but.

Just as with gold sellers, the real problem is not the selling of things, whether that be illegitimate gold or things from the gem store, it’s the people buying them.

To give you an example from another game, Lord of the Rings Online has a microtransaction model and, generally, it works very well because most things you buy actually are microtransactions that work out as no more than a couple of dollars. You can also buy full expansions through their version of the gem store. Depending on the expansion (and I don’t know what Rohan costs), this ranges from about $18 – $35. Fair enough. Outside of buying Quest Packs, which unlock the ability to do the quests on each map (you can still go to every area and kill things, you just can’t do the quests without them) the majority of the items you can buy are vanity items and cosmetics. The most infamous vanity item, at the time I was playing, was a mount called the Steed of Night. The Steed of Night cost $20 and was a horse identical to the second-best horses you can get but it had a unique skin. While a lot of people used their saved up Turbine Points, which you can get for free just by playing the game, to buy these things, some people actually payed cash to get this horse. They paid more for a vanity item which, at the time, couldn’t even be used in combat than they did for an expansion. In fact, I knew one person that bought TP for the horse instead of the Mirkwood expansion.

And people complained about the Horse Armour in Oblivion…

So long as people are willing to fork over ridiculous sums of cash for useless things, the microtransaction model will remain a misnomer.

I do think it would be in ANet’s best interests to double the number of Keys that you get in bulk, and maybe give a bonus. Instead of getting 5 keys for the equivalent of $4.50, 10 keys, or maybe 11 or 12, for the same price would see more people willing to buy them.

Something to think about: Just as with the Steed of Night, if ANet released a Skeleton Key, that could unlock an unlimited number of chests, for $50 people would buy it.

Dragonbrand – Reforged Vanguard [ReVa]
Kyxha 80 Ranger, Sokar 80 Necro
Niobe 80 Guardian, Symbaoe 45 Ele

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

The items in the chests need to be more useful. By increasing the number of items you receive from one chest to 10.

Items that can be added to chests
*One NPC town clothing in each chest
*Good chance of a rare that can be sold or salvaged.
*One rare crafting item
*One random item sold separately from the gem store
*One free bank expansion
*Karma Jugs

*Add a free BLC key to all gem store purchases over 300 gems. Except for key purchases.
*more sales on BLC keys.
*Don’t add any temporary holiday skins to BLC’s.

Just make BLC’s more rewarding.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

I actually want to use chests. Before launch I defended them in that they should always give more than 125 gems in items, but since it’s a gamble you may get stuff that isn’t directly useful.
There is already nice stuff in there, but the balance isn’t nearly where it should be. Dropping keys under the psychological barrier of 100gems would help big time. Either make them cost 80gems or severely buff items inside. And cut drop rate on tonics, no one cares.

Thing is, since keys drop from chests, they’re actually already pretty profitable but the initial cost is just too high.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Serenity.6149

Serenity.6149

I bought a bunch of keys during the Black Friday sale with the intention of opening up chests during the next event to take advantage of event-specific drops. Ever since the Black Friday sale, however, every event has had its own separate chest system, so there’s no point (for me) to using the keys unless something changes.

Like pretty much every other RNG-based gamble in the game, unless you’re lucky enough to get one of the super-rare premium items in a relatively low number of tries (i.e. you beat the average drop rate by a certain amount), you’re better off just buying the boosters, etc. directly from the shop. And if you do the math on the boosters, few, if any, are worth getting at all. I can’t comment on the Glory Booster as I don’t PVP, but the only Booster worth getting IMO is the Karma one. At least that one can really help save time if you’ve saved up a stash of Karma jugs. Nothing else comes close to benefiting you by the effective gold cost of the booster or key used to acquire the booster.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Chickenshoes.6250

Chickenshoes.6250

What you mean like throwing 250 black lion chests into the forge to get 1 key? There’s already something like that, there’s a chance for keys to drop from random mobs about every 250 chests. The best part? You get to keep your 250 chests!

This whole system is fine the way it is.

They just need to add a bunch more cool stuff to them. Rare skins, rare mats, stacks of unique food, other super fun/useful consumables etc.

Nobody wants to open chests when they know they aren’t going to get anything but a repair cannister, an EXP booster and some silver.

(edited by Chickenshoes.6250)