Precursor Inflation?

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

Q:

Logged into GW2 for the first time in weeks and precursor prices are quite a bit higher — roughly 200g higher for Legend, Dusk, Zap (didn’t check any others).

Here’s the data (in case people think I’m trolling):

http://www.gw2tp.com/item/29180-the-legend

Ignoring the spikes, the prices are 200g higher going back about three weeks. So what’s the best guess at the reason why?

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

Supply all but disappeared for the legend. My guess is people aren’t rolling for them in the forge anymore? OR the drop rate somehow is even lower than .00000001?

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Three words: Account Bound Skins.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: mcarswell.3768

mcarswell.3768

or speculators are buying them up anticipating increased demand for legendaries once the new wardrobe system hits tomorrow.

between rune/sigil speculation and unid dyes, a lot of gold will be changing hands tomorrow. anyone making bank after the patch might be inclined to splurge for an overpriced precursor as well.

Berner | Nitzerebb | Suna | Shivayanama
[TSFR] – Jade Quarry

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Svetli.4276

Svetli.4276

one advise sell all your variable sigils and runes

“What you wish for may not be what she wishes for.” – Skull Knight

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I got a Rodgort’s Flame as a drop over the weekend, and the price didn’t go up by 200 Gold. Where’s the inflation for my item???

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Psychol.5783

Psychol.5783

Which skins?

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

Which skins?

The skins that are made using Precursors.

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

Supply all but disappeared for the legend. My guess is people aren’t rolling for them in the forge anymore? OR the drop rate somehow is even lower than .00000001?

Changes to unid’d dyes are probably responsible, players want to see what happens to supply/prices or are unsure about how Anet will change the recipe that uses them.

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

juno.1840

Dusk and Zap are also up, so it’s not unique to The Legend.

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

Dusk and Zap are also up, so it’s not unique to The Legend.

Ahem

I got a Rodgort’s Flame as a drop over the weekend, and the price didn’t go up by 200 Gold. Where’s the inflation for my item???

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

juno.1840

Technically Rodgort’s is also up 30% which is same percentage as with Legend and Dusk. Your problem is it’s 30% on 60g.

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

Technically Rodgort’s is also up 30% which is same percentage as with Legend and Dusk. Your problem is it’s 30% on 60g.

But it’s not 800+ Gold like the others. That’s not fair.

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

juno.1840

This is a discussion of inflation, not fairness — sorry u didn’t win the RNG lottery.

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

A note before I get sidetracked:

Speculation does not equal Inflation

In other words, Legendaries got a lot more desirable with tomorrow’s patch.

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

More desirable, and with anet stating pre cursor crafting was being put on hold until they can work out how to ( if they even cab ) make it work now, it means the demand and supply game is in full swing, and its pretty clear some guilds/people are controlling the entire pre cursor market.

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Romo.3709

Romo.3709

Logged into GW2 for the first time in weeks and precursor prices are quite a bit higher — roughly 200g higher for Legend, Dusk, Zap (didn’t check any others).

Ignoring the spikes, the prices are 200g higher going back about three weeks. So what’s the best guess at the reason why?

Have you looked at the supply chart aside from price chart?
Economics Basics: Supply and Demand
In march there was 20+ Legends, look how many are there now.

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Romo.3709

Look at how many classes actually use torch. Now look at how many of those classes actually use it in their builds constantly. Torch not being as viable as other items makes it so it’s low on demand. If you’re making a legendary, it might be a weapon you use constantly. Why do you think underwater precursors are still low?

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

Changes to unid’d dyes are probably responsible, players want to see what happens to supply/prices or are unsure about how Anet will change the recipe that uses them.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. They did say the are changing gift of color down to 100 instead of 250. I already have that gift though and will probably get at least 100 un’id dyes with all the duplicate colors i have across my alts.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

tolunart.2095

Oh yeah, forgot about that. They did say the are changing gift of color down to 100 instead of 250. I already have that gift though and will probably get at least 100 un’id dyes with all the duplicate colors i have across my alts.

I’ve seen that mentioned somewhere, but the majority of players don’t visit the website often or browse the forums so a lot of players don’t know what’s going to happen after the patch.

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

tolunart.2095

More desirable, and with anet stating pre cursor crafting was being put on hold until they can work out how to ( if they even cab ) make it work now, it means the demand and supply game is in full swing, and its pretty clear some guilds/people are controlling the entire pre cursor market.

How does a person/small group control the market when precursors constantly appear out of thin air?

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Romo.3709

How does a person/small group control the market when precursors constantly appear out of thin air?

That’s normally to-go argument when you can’t afford a precursor and people are buying them before you. It’s obvious that some people have multiple precursors either on trading post waiting for them to sell or have some in their bank that they invested in hoping that the price will go up so they can cash in. But with the demand at this point in time the precursors (especially the more desirable ones) basically “fly off the shelves”. Making it easier for people that got lucky enough to have them drop actually ask for much higher price because there’s a very limited supply of them at the moment.

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ValeN.3129

ValeN.3129

This is a discussion of inflation, not fairness — sorry u didn’t win the RNG lottery.

What an inconvenient truth to throw around. Guess he should see it coming.

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

Actually, the discussion was of the OP’s misunderstanding of the difference between what is Inflation, and what is Speculation.

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

juno.1840

Actually, the discussion was of the OP’s misunderstanding of the difference between what is Inflation, and what is Speculation.

My original post is a question — not a statement of misunderstanding.

I’ll put your answer in the “speculation” column as opposed to another reason. Thanks for participating.

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

I’ll put your answer in the “speculation” column as opposed to another reason. Thanks for participating.

Actually, your original question was based on your misunderstanding between what is Inflation, and the true cause of the price increase, which was Speculation.

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

juno.1840

Actually, your original question was based on your misunderstanding between what is Inflation, and the true cause of the price increase, which was Speculation.

Still sticking with your speculation hypothesis (which is all it was even tho u stated it as “fact”)?

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

Still sticking with your speculation hypothesis (which is all it was even tho u stated it as “fact”)?

Speculation is what drives this economy. Sometimes is works, sometimes not. Overall, it’s a fact of life that you must learn to live with when interacting with this economy.

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

juno.1840

So at what point would you call it inflation?

If never then are you saying there is no inflation in GW2?

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Borghal.1635

Borghal.1635

Speculation is what drives this economy. Sometimes is works, sometimes not. Overall, it’s a fact of life that you must learn to live with when interacting with this economy.

The latter holds true for inflation as well, so yours is still a hypothesis. 3 weeks is a lot for speculation on a high demand market. When do we start calling it inflation then?

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

The recent price inflation is just a sign of higher demand which is sparked by added functionality. If you check out long term precursor prices, you will notice two oncommon spikes, one in August/September, which was caused by the added functionality of ascended and choseable stats and one just recently, that you noticed. That one was fuelled by the added functionality of unlocked skins and the change to account bound.
Both spikes, btw, werent as high (by percentage) than many other price spikes for other materials and items we have seen in the same period.

If you just check the price evolution between those two spikes, you will see a very slow and steady increase of the price, which in my opinion, is a very good indicator for general inflation happening in the game.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

So at what point would you call it inflation?

If never then are you saying there is no inflation in GW2?

The price increases you noticed from your opening post were from Speculation. As Wanze pointed out, there’s been a steady increase over time. Inflation in any economy is normal. Spikes due to new mechanics or updates do not equal Inflation.

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

For general inflation we might want to look at higher velocity items not linked to low velocity spike prone items.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wanze.8410

For general inflation we might want to look at higher velocity items not linked to low velocity spike prone items.

Why? Can you give an example, what item you might use?
I think precursors are perfect because their demand and supply is more or less the same all the time compared to high velocity items (unless functionality is added).
I cant see how precursors are more spike prone than high velocity items.

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

every item is linked is it not?

you need almost “every item” for legendary. Even the tier 5 material is tied to legendary since mystic forge probably produced a handful of legendary.

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lydia Solace.1348

Lydia Solace.1348

I really hope we will see better systems put in place for precursors in the future.

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: TPMN.1483

TPMN.1483

There is also currently a bug with the mystic forge .. 4 rare 80s can result in a lvl76 exotic.
It has been suggested that the usual forgers are holding off putting stuff in the toilet until it’s been fixed.

This will be constraining demand more than usual.

[MYTH] The Mythical Dragons -PvX http://mythdragons.enjin.com

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

juno.1840

There is also currently a bug with the mystic forge .. 4 rare 80s can result in a lvl76 exotic.
It has been suggested that the usual forgers are holding off putting stuff in the toilet until it’s been fixed.

I think that will contribute to ongoing prices. However prices shot up 30% more than a month before that bug was introduced.

I suspected there are multiple factors including speculation and reduced supply from more than one cause (i.e. the bug, reduced active player population, and maybe even a ninja tweak to drops, who knows…).

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

That’s not a bug. You did get an exotic from 4 rares so it was a valid promotion.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

juno.1840

That’s not a bug. You did get an exotic from 4 rares so it was a valid promotion.

What planet are you on? It has not worked that way before… ever. Why would u call this new “behavior” not a bug?

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Behellagh.1468

Where did it ever say that the item out would be the same level as the items fed it? I get drops that are in the mid 70s to 80 as a level 80 and those items in the 70s are considered fair reward so why not the MF?

RIP City of Heroes

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: serapheles.5409

serapheles.5409

Where did it ever say that the item out would be the same level as the items fed it? I get drops that are in the mid 70s to 80 as a level 80 and those items in the 70s are considered fair reward so why not the MF?

Fair or not, it is new and thus either a bug or intended behavior that bothers a lot of forge users.

The Random Number Gods are nothing if not predictable.
Crafting is designed for gear accessibility, not profit.

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

Fair or not, it is new and thus either a bug or intended behavior that bothers a lot of forge users.

If it is bothering a lot of forge users, it certainly isn’t showing up in the data; despite most forge material prices being at all time highs, the margins haven’t moved much at all. If the new drop table was driving people out of the market the margins would reflect it; T4 and T5 material prices would fall as the remaining crafters demand higher and higher margins to cover their risks at the forge. But that isn’t happening at all; instead prices have risen to all time highs, keeping the margins around where they’ve been for the past 8 months or so.

All the complaints about the new drop tables are just talk, and the market hasn’t heard a word of it.

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Behellagh.1468

As pointed out in other threads, changes to the MF was mentioned in the patch notes.

Some Mystic Forge recipes have been updated to provide a wider range of results.

All Mystic Forge recipes for crafting PvP items have been removed along with PvP crafting materials.

RIP City of Heroes

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wanze.8410

As pointed out in other threads, changes to the MF was mentioned in the patch notes.

Some Mystic Forge recipes have been updated to provide a wider range of results.

All Mystic Forge recipes for crafting PvP items have been removed along with PvP crafting materials.

PvP items and mats may have been removed from forge recipes but they are tradeable now. Hooray for those that didnt keep them in the pvp locker, when the patch went live.

Attachments:

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

hmm earning is down but precursors are up, hmmmm

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

PvP items and mats may have been removed from forge recipes but they are tradeable now. Hooray for those that didnt keep them in the pvp locker, when the patch went live.

Wanze, c’mon. That’s technically an exploit. You knowingly sold an unusable item that you knew should have been removed from the game. No sympathy from me, sorry. I find it similar to buying vendor items that can’t be salvaged and selling them on the TP to unsuspecting buyers.

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Wanze.8410

Wanze, c’mon. That’s technically an exploit. You knowingly sold an unusable item that you knew should have been removed from the game. No sympathy from me, sorry. I find it similar to buying vendor items that can’t be salvaged and selling them on the TP to unsuspecting buyers.

Just FYI, i didnt have mine in my inventory. The ones I sold, i bought before on buy order, after the patch. IF its an exploit, why did Anet change their AB status?

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

perhaps they wish to allow people to buy them in order to kill their remaining items, but if that was the case, why kill the one in peoples banks?

Precursor Inflation?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

I just tested it, and they cannot be sold on TP. It must be hotfixed, wich means it was an exploit (500+ on my thief).

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.