Precursor Question

Precursor Question

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

I’ve been farming gold for Strom through a combination of dungeon running and small time TP flipping, and I was wondering if anyone knowledgeable with precursor markets could give me some advice.

Are there specific times of the week/month/day where the buy price dips enough to be able to acquire the weapon relatively cheaply? While its sell price is around 620ish gold, I’ve noticed that its buy prices seem to be in the mid 500s. Is there any chance that I could place a buy order for about 500 and get it? And in your opinion, is there any chance of this precursor’s price decreasing significantly in the near-medium term future, or have the prices mostly stabilized since the April patch?

While I will always regret being too poor to buy it before the day/night cycle was announced that immediately drove prices upwards from its former 140ish gold or whatever, I’m determined to finish making this weapon, and I’m looking to cut the costs wherever possible. Thanks for any input you can give.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

Precursor Question

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

http://www.gw2spidy.com/item/29176
It looks like no night/day cycle to it’s price, or even weekly. however, it’s buy price was at 500 about 9 hours ago. So, yes, I do think placing a buy order at 500g will get filled in the near future
expanding the graph…
in jan Spark was at 400g
it went down to 350g in march
then went up to 650g gradually until May
since May it’s dropped to about 550-600g
If I had to guess, I’d say it’ll go down some more over the next month (it looks like it peaked in may and is now dropping)
unless, of course, they change something that affects it somehow

(edited by Mystic.5934)

Precursor Question

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Is there any chance that I could place a buy order for about 500 and get it?

Absolutely. Put in a buy order for the price you are willing to pay (which might be 500, might be less). Wait it out.

Are there specific times of the week/month/day where the buy price dips enough to be able to acquire the weapon relatively cheaply?

http://www.gw2spidy.com/item/29176
It looks like no night/day cycle to it’s price, or even weekly.

Spidy (and other similar sites, including the TP) only show prices at a specific moment in time; they don’t show transactions that happen in between those moments.

There are fluctuations, but on low-supply, high-priced items, they aren’t going to be in an easily predictable pattern. That means you can put in your buy order whenever you like — don’t wait for the TP to drop to your desired price; put in the buy order now, but only for the amount you are willing to pay.

While its sell price is around 620ish gold, I’ve noticed that its buy prices seem to be in the mid 500s.

That’s pretty typical on the TP for most anything: a 20%+ gap between the lowest available price and the highest offer to buy. (Flippers take advantage of that gap, especially when it’s over 100%, as it is for a large fraction of dyes.)

And in your opinion, is there any chance of this precursor’s price decreasing significantly in the near-medium term future, or have the prices mostly stabilized since the April patch?

The consensus seems to be that the current precursor want-to-sell and want-to-buy prices are here to stay (I personally think they might go down, depending on what happens the next few Living Story updates, but that’s a minority view).

However, even so, I know people that acquired their precursors since the Wardrobe announcement/patch at prices similar to what they would have paid pre-patch. That’s because they didn’t make their offer based on current prices; instead, they only offered up as much as they were willing to pay (which was heavily influenced by pre-patch prices).

Similarly, I just picked up a skin that requires 5 BL tickets for about what it sold at when it came out. Had I placed the buy order based on what spidy (or the TP) was showing, I would have paid nearly three times as much, i.e. about 100g more.

Short story: Place the buy order at the price you want. Wait it out. If you find yourself waiting longer than you want, reconsider how much you are willing to pay.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Precursor Question

in Black Lion Trading Co

nearlight.3064

Thanks so much for your advice Illconceived, you’ve filled me with hope for this legendary project!

So yeah it seems like 500 sounds reasonable, but I’ll try 450-475 before then to see if thats at all possible. I still have another 200-300 gold before I can start placing orders though, so hopeful I can have that in another 2 weeks of dungeon running and short term TP flipping.

How long would you suggest waiting before placing a higher buy order?

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

Precursor Question

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

i’m having the time of my life farming the gold for tooth of frostfang. it’s at about 850 with buy orders as low as 491g. could i do the same thing and get it eventually? i feel like 543g(my current gold total) would still be too low for a buy offer. ideas?

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Precursor Question

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: nagr.1593

nagr.1593

its usually a 1-2 months wait for precursors to drop to an ideal price. I got dusk for 800g a week ago, before that spark for like 600g a month or so ago. Its all about waiting, the prices fluctuate a lot nowadays but will go down to an acceptable value eventually. you just have to know what that is.

Arun Kar

(edited by nagr.1593)

Precursor Question

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Maugrem.7608

Maugrem.7608

Or you could take your gold and buy rare scepters and start throwing them 4 at a time into the toilet : )

Maugrem Moorgraves Ex-Nimue Nightshade (DAoC- Roisin Dubh)
An Epic 80 in every flavor (Five Thousand Finishers)

Precursor Question

in Black Lion Trading Co

nearlight.3064

Or you could take your gold and buy rare scepters and start throwing them 4 at a time into the toilet : )

Hahahaha no thanks. I don’t want to lose everything I have. I’m only 100-125 gold away from being able to place low buy orders for storm. Then I need another 200ish gold to buy charged cores and elonian wine to promote them, after which I’ll probably buy the 100 icy runestones, and I’ll save the T6 mats for last since they’ll drop occassionally as I open champ bags and whatnot, or if I do the CP runs every now and then.

I already have all the ecto and orichalcum so thats good I guess!

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

Precursor Question

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

i’m having the time of my life farming the gold for tooth of frostfang. it’s at about 850 with buy orders as low as 491g. could i do the same thing and get it eventually? i feel like 543g(my current gold total) would still be too low for a buy offer. ideas?

There’s no harm in putting in a buy order for 543g. The worst thing that happens is you don’t get Tooth at that price, you get tired of waiting, and you remove the offer and add e.g. 50g more. However, if you have seen buy orders as low as 491g, then I think it’s more likely you’ll get it at 543g.

I admit that waiting is a lot harder than it sounds, but being patient is among the best ways to earn from the TP. Good luck.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Precursor Question

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

It took me less than a week to get The Legend for 800 g when its average selling/buying price is about 1000/900 g a piece. Before I bid for The Legend, I took a look at the chart and there were instances when buying orders took a dip to 820 g. So if you’re in no rush to acquire your desired precusor, it’s better to bid with the amount of gold you can afford, and wait for a few weeks.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids