Ready to grind

Ready to grind

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Serious Thought.5394

Serious Thought.5394

Sounds bad, I know. And this is the only economy based thread home area…thing. Anywho, I noticed that Risen lvl 80 mobs (yes, Orr), drop Heavy * Bag (varies) which go for 5-20 silver each. That doesn’t include other drops. Considering that I run a Thief and that I am also becoming very good at farming mob masses (cleave dmg OP), would this be a good/best way to get money?

Thanks in advance to all Asura Genii who answer.

Worst Thief in the world, yes I am.

Ready to grind

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Thief is one of the best openworld farming characters ingame- They excel in almost every requirement for optimized farming:

1. Speed – Most of your time farming is spent running around, not killing things. Thief have Signet of Shadows
2. Opener – Using D/P, #3 is the best opener EVER. It closes huge ranges, it prevents time-wasting knockbacks. You can spam it on longer veteran kills and champs.
3. Middle – A 6/6/2 build. Lots of multipliers. You already opened with #3, lay in with #1. If your target is a spaz and running all over, #2 or #3 again.
4. Closer – Their only weak area. Using Blinding Powder + Shadow Arts IV can be used to cleanse conditions that keep you in combat (and slow) after you killed your target.

I tend to use Signet of Malice, Theives Guild to round out the build.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Ready to grind

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

If you are running D/P, #2 is one of the best finishers in the game…..that’s pretty much it’s reason to exist.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Ready to grind

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lytalm.5673

Lytalm.5673

Lol wut, guardian is best for farming, infinite swiftness and OP 1 with staff, also leap with GS too gud.

Seriously, every member of my guild farm with guardian in Orr, just a lot of AoE to tag mob and mobility.

Les Pirates du Styx [xQcx]
Fort Aspenwood

Ready to grind

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Lol wut, guardian is best for farming, infinite swiftness and OP 1 with staff, also leap with GS too gud.

Seriously, every member of my guild farm with guardian in Orr, just a lot of AoE to tag mob and mobility.

Just a few things:

1. That infinite swiftness you get from staff is not optimal for farming because you have to swap from it for non-crap damage and it’s an active effect that costs you time to stop, cast and wait for full ticks to gain time back. You might not even have enough swiftness duration to get to your next target. It’s optimal to use traveler’s runes on Guardian to get your speed for farming because it’s a passive effect and it’s 100% uptime, regardless of weapon for a minimum of damage loss.

2. Tagging isn’t really great in all but a few events, so it’s not optimal to carry a weapon that’s optimized to do that while farming. I recommend GS/Scepter+Focus. It’s much more likely that you will encounter more events where range + blocks are going to be more useful than tagging. If you need a staff for those few tagging events, swap out before you commit.

3. Guardian is quite good, in fact I rank it second for farming just below Theif (note that I have not completed my assessment of openworld farming with Warrior, Engineer or Ele, so I can’t say how they rank). In comparison, Guardian has gear requirements for speed (Theif does not), has better closers and only more varied and limited (but still awesome) openers.

No one seriously interested in optimizing their general openworld farming experience with a Guardian should be using a staff ever.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Ready to grind

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

@ OP yes it’s good, but doing your daily COF P1 etc. dungeon rotation will get you more $. Do those first. If you get in a good dry top server, it’s better than cursed shore.

Aoe is king for farming gold. If you’re just killing one random lone mob after another, that’s not going to net you very much $. Guard has the best spammable aoe. Tagging is very much key to getting loot every since they lowered the damage required to get credit for a mob. Most events are going to give you a ton of mobs semi-near a waypoint, so mobility isn’t that big of a deal and swiftness is enough to get you there. I would only pull out a scepter if it’s a single mob that I don’t want to get close to.

IMO Guard > Eng > Thief (short bow)… but eng will give you carpel.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa